This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Who would you like to play the Villian in a future film?

96 replies to this topic

#1 tb75

tb75

Cadet

• Crew
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 11:31 PM

Who would like to be the villains in the future films?

#2 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 23 April 2010 - 05:39 PM

I think someone ought to reply to this new thread - villainy is what keeps Bond from being just another member of Her Majesty's Secret Service.

I will probably think of a few more names before long, but the first name is Sir Ian McKellan. He did a good job in the radio version of "Goldfinger", is proving a suitably sinister "Number 2" in the "Prisoner" remake (whatever else one might think about the series), and I think he would make a pretty good screen adversary for Bond. Plus, according to an interview posted on this site a short while ago, Sir Ian would be up for it.

Finally, we've had quite a few bad guys and girls recently who are contemporary to, or younger than Bond himself. It's time 007 took on a sinister father figure.

#3 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 08:52 PM

I've always liked the of James Woods as a Bond villain. I think that he would be terrific.

Other actors I wouldn't mind seeing as future villains:
Ralph Fiennes
Rachel Weisz
Liam Neeson
Jackie Earle Haley

#4 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 08:58 PM

Stellan Skarsgard
Oleg Yankovsky
Angela Pleasence

#5 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 23 April 2010 - 10:44 PM

Stellan Skarsgard
Oleg Yankovsky
Angela Pleasence

The third name on your list - like father, like daughter?

#6 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 11:02 PM

A few more. Some of the usual suspects, if you like.

Alan Rickman (Die Hard and Robin, Prince of Thieves - anyone who can cancel Christmas is well on the way to Bond villainy)

Jeremy Irons (another Die Hard graduate)

Sir Patrick Stewart (quite capable of Bond villainy or being Bond's boss)

All three British, I admit, and I know there are some out there bothered that Brits always seem to be cast as Hollywood baddies. It doesn't bother me - supercilious villainy is something British actors can do.

#7 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 11:40 PM

He would be a great M.

Before his death, I had always wanted to see Edward Woodward as a Bond villain (although he would have been a great M as well, rivaling Lee).

#8 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 06:21 AM

He would be a great M.

Before his death, I had always wanted to see Edward Woodward as a Bond villain (although he would have been a great M as well, rivaling Lee).

Quite a versatile actor, Edward Woodward - he did serious drama, comedy, played good guys and villains. He wasn't a bad singer, either. It is a pity he's no longer with us - in his day he might have made a pretty good "M".

#9 General G.

General G.

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 81 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 08:19 AM

Arnold Vosloo

John Hannah (superb villain in Spartacus: Blood & Sand)

Rutger Hauer

Liam Neeson

#10 bond 16.05.72

bond 16.05.72

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1068 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 10:32 AM

Vincent Cassell, Mark Strong, Christopher Waltz.

#11 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 09:51 PM

If you consider the track record of the Bond films when it comes to casting villains, you often find the producers cast actors who are not "names", as in "well known" or "box office draws", except perhaps in their own country of origin. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if this happens again.

With this in mind, I'd like to suggest an actor I saw in a BBC drama documentary last year called "House Of Saddam". Yigal Naor played Saddam Hussein in this, and he put in a chilling and convincing performance. You got the impression from him that Iraq was being run as a cross between Stalin's Russia and a wholly owned branch of SPECTRE.

A long shot, I know, but then how many fans expected Mads Mikklesen or Mathieu Amalric to appear as Bond's arch nemesis, compared with the list of "usual suspects" we can all think of, and to which, I admit, I have added earlier on this thread.

#12 Bondesque

Bondesque

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 428 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 06:04 PM

Daniel Day Lewis would be a superb choice and play well against Craig!

#13 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 06:16 PM

It´s got to be someone who is not too associated with another role or someone who has already played too many bad guys.

Daniel Day Lewis would be a coup because he really could be menacing and unpredictable and do it very persuasively. But he seems to be very choosy and condescending towards lighter fare such as 007.

What do you guys think about Guy Pearce (L.A. Confidential) or Edward Norton?

#14 AgentBentley

AgentBentley

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 01:40 PM

Mark Strong was already the villain of Sherlock H and Kick-B), but he's just right for the part, if he tones down the drama.
I don't want the Bond bad guys to be cardboard, they should be real people with some redeeming features.

#15 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 10:58 PM

I've always liked the of James Woods as a Bond villain. I think that he would be terrific.

Other actors I wouldn't mind seeing as future villains:
Ralph Fiennes
Rachel Weisz
Liam Neeson
Jackie Earle Haley

I love all of these suggestions I have 2 others to add to the list

Rick Jay (gross-fully underused in tomorrow never dies watch him in flash forward to see how much menace and creepyness he really has)

Michael Massee another flash forward graduate. He is dark creepy and brilliant in the role of Dyson Frost I can see him as a Quantum mastermind.

#16 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 06:24 AM

Singing his praises again, I know, but I'd still like to see Ian McKellan as a future Bond villain. Last night I watched episode three of the remake of "The Prisoner". McKellan is proving to be a very menacing, and downright creepy Number Two - malevolence barely disguised as benevolence. But also something of a fully rounded character - concerned about his off the rails son, and concerned (or is he?) about his bed ridden wife - thats when he's not quietly terrifying the Villagers or getting under the skin of Number Six. I quote from the Radio Times about his performance in episode three - "tonight's final scene - where he's sweet and avuncular to a small child - will give you nightmares".

I'm all for a younger, active type to play the henchman and give Bond a good dusting down, but if Quantum is to remain as Bond's opponent in future films it needs an older, menacing authority figure to be revealed as its "Number One". I'm for "Number Two" to take on that part.

#17 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 04:09 PM

Daniel Day Lewis would be a coup because he really could be menacing and unpredictable and do it very persuasively. But he seems to be very choosy and condescending towards lighter fare such as 007.

There's always the off chance...

What do you guys think about Guy Pearce (L.A. Confidential) or Edward Norton?

Not entirely sure about Pearce, having only seen him in two films, one of which he (understandably) hams it up in. Norton would certainly be an interesting choice though. I could get behind that, provided the villain's written more in the mold of the past two villains. Can't really see Norton being something quite so...grandiose, but a Le Chiffre/Greene type would suit him well, methinks.

#18 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 04:25 PM

There's always the off chance...

It's a really, really slim chance though isn't it? I mean, for example, didn't he turn down appearing in the Lord of the Rings films because he considered them too frivolous.

#19 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 05:21 PM

James Woods or F. Murray Abraham.

#20 THX-007

THX-007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 208 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 06:50 PM

How about George Lazenby? =)
He played a villain in "The Man From Hong Kong".

Or he could be an ally. I see him as a retiring agent who helps Bond out, much like Mathis.

Other villain choices: Gary Oldman, David Warner, Max von Sydow, Jürgen Prochnow, John Hurt, William Defoe.
That's all I can think of at the moment.

Edited by THX-007, 02 May 2010 - 10:22 PM.

#21 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 10:43 PM

How about George Lazenby? =)
He played a villain in "The Man From Hong Kong".

Or he could be an ally. I see him as a retiring agent who helps Bond out, much like Mathis.

Other villain choices: Gary Oldman, David Warner, Max von Sydow, Jürgen Prochnow, John Hurt, William Defoe.
That's all I can think of at the moment.

I can't see Lazenby as a villain, frankly. Besides, isn't he out of acting and into real estate?

Your other choices though - yes I think so, although Max Von Sydow would have to be far more menacing than his cat stroking "Uncle Ernst" turn as Blofeld in NSNA.

#22 THX-007

THX-007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 208 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 12:31 AM

I can't see Lazenby as a villain, frankly. Besides, isn't he out of acting and into real estate?

I don't know if he's still into real estate. He was in the 80's and 90's which made him a rich man.

Still, never mind the villain, I just wish to see him make a cameo or have a small part in a future bond film as an ally.

although Max Von Sydow would have to be far more menacing than his cat stroking "Uncle Ernst" turn as Blofeld in NSNA.

I forget that Max Van Sydow was in NSNA, mostly because I never saw it.

Edited by THX-007, 03 May 2010 - 12:33 AM.

#23 Dr. Metz

Dr. Metz

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 01:05 AM

I don't know if he's still into real estate. He was in the 80's and 90's which made him a rich man.

Did he sell real estate or buy real estate? If he sold it, imagine how weird it would be to have George Lazenby, James Bond himself, selling you real estate.

Edited by Dr. Metz, 03 May 2010 - 01:25 AM.

#24 THX-007

THX-007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 208 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 01:23 AM

He bought real estate when it was cheap and then sold it.

#25 Dr. Metz

Dr. Metz

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 01:24 AM

He bought real estate when it was cheap and then sold it.

Thanks for the info. B)

#26 elizabeth

elizabeth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2285 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 10:36 PM

I was just thinking: if Alec Guinness were still alive and young, he would've made a great Bond villain, don't you think? I think so. Something about him just gives off a villainous vibe.

Posted Image

#27 volante

volante

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1926 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 04:29 PM

Christoph Waltz; his portrail of Hans Landers is the stuff of legend

Posted Image

#28 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:18 PM

I'd like to nominate another fine British actor, namely Tom Wilkinson. He's won awards, played lots of interesting characters in his time, and can convincingly portray other nationalities besides his own. He was a German officer in the Tom Cruise "kill-Hitler" film "Valkyrie", and a mafia boss in "Batman Begins". And he'd be following Robert Carlyle, from "The Full Monty" into Bond villainy.

I'd also like to suggest an actress for a possible villainous (or MI6?) role - Ruth Wilson. A good actress and, I think, attractive but in a not entirely conventional way. She was number 313 in the "Prisoner" remake - the village doctor who in the real world was a damaged and seemingly incurable self-harming woman. She's also playing a psycho in a TV detective series over here called "Luther".

#29 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:39 PM

I was just thinking: if Alec Guinness were still alive and young, he would've made a great Bond villain, don't you think? I think so. Something about him just gives off a villainous vibe.

Posted Image

I agree, but he made an even better MI5 spymaster in the BBC adaptations of John Le Carre's "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" and "Smiley's People".

One actor I would have liked to have seen as a Bond villain - and sadly, no longer with us - was Ian Richardson. He was also in "Tinker, Tailor" and in the BBC political-thriller/satire "House Of Cards". He played one of my all time favourite TV villains, Prime Minister Francis Urquhart - a man not averse to cold blooded murder to gain the keys to 10 Downing Street. Ian Richardson would have made a great, suave, cerebral Bond adversary.

And "Urquhart" had a catchphrase which has sometimes carried over into real life political discourse in the UK. When prompted to admit something by the press, but not wishing to do so, he would reply "You might very well think that. I, of course, could not possibly comment!"

I've occasionally used that line myself! B)

#30 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 10:50 AM

Kevin Spacey. What a damn good actor he is!