99 replies to this topic

#61 bond 16.05.72

bond 16.05.72

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1068 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 12:09 PM

I'm still waiting for someone to say a blockbuster that was better than DK this decade and no I don't think CR was as good as DK.

Depends on how you define blockbuster really, does $120million domestic count as a blockbuster anymore? That's how much Inglourious Basterds made and I would very much argue that was better than The Dark Knight, not just something I prefer but better. If we were to define a blockbuster as upwards of $100million domestic, I imagine there would be people out there (though not I) who would make a case for the Lord of the Rings series, the Bourne films, Road to Perdition, Walk the Line, Benjamin Button, Star Trek, District 9, Watchmen and so forth.

If you were to term IB as a blockbuster than yes I would say it was considerably better than DK but I'm talking your Star Trek's or LOTR, I enjoy the Potter franchise but I don't fool myself that they hugely quality films, I just think DK did something that very rarely blockbusters do, it's not perfect but it leaves most tent pole films looking pale in comparison.

Bourne you could argue but it seems like they stuck to a format for all 3 films with the first in my view being the strongest of the pack. Ultimatum was no better than the previous one yet for some reason it got touted as one of the best of the decade, DK had far more going on in it. If you thought Burton's films were good and try to defend Batman & Robin then I guess DK will confound you in comparison to those absurd pantomimes.

#62 O.H.M.S.S.

O.H.M.S.S.

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1162 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 12:42 PM

Transformers and it's sequel. Why do people like films such as these I wonder.

#63 chriso

chriso

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 01:08 PM

Definitely Transporter 3, The Spirit, Watchmen and Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

#64 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 01:10 PM

What´s not to like about Watchmen?

#65 bondrules

bondrules

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2190 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 01:18 PM

I thought Watchmen was great. Not top 10, but certainly Top 25 of the decade.

#66 chriso

chriso

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 01:28 PM

As transferred to the big screen by director Zack Snyder, Watchmen is often visually stunning, I know, but also confusing and scattered.
So I didn't like the movie very much.

Edited by chriso, 24 December 2009 - 01:32 PM.

#67 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 11:36 PM

[post deleted]

#68 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 01:31 PM

Be careful with those eyes there

#69 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 04:33 PM

[deleted]

#70 I never miss

I never miss

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 316 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 04:45 PM

I think the worst film of the noughties was Outlaw, a British film starring Sean Bean and (ugh) Danny Dyer. I would throw in any British 'hooligan' film along the lines of Green Street as being thoroughly terrible and insult to British filmmaking - I've seen several of these and they're nearly all horrible. The only half-decent one of the past ten years is Rise of the footsoldier.

Interesting to note that Crash and The Dark Knight are appearing fairly regularly on the 'overrated' lists: Crash was terrible, IMHO - a preachy, melodramatic pile of excrement.

TDK on the other hand, well I didn't mind Batman Begins, but the sequel fell into the trap that many superhero films have: it took itself too seriously. And what is it with Christian Bale's voice - he used a similar one in Terminator Salvation - it's horrible to listen to and doesn't sound half as macho as he thinks it does. Someone needs to have a word.

Edited by I never miss, 10 January 2010 - 04:46 PM.

#71 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 05:53 PM

I agree with you about Outlaw and Green Street; awful, moronic films that leave you feeling unclean. I will admit Green Street kind of works as camp (give me a break, I was watching it from a hospital bed!) but it's still an awful film that romanticises hooliganism, whether intentionally or inadvertently. "Whatever you think about football hooligans is wrong, they're really articulate, urbane people who have a set of not-inspired-by-Fight Club-at-all "rules", a code of ethics etc."

#72 Dr.Fell

Dr.Fell

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 178 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 09:39 PM

Many of the comic book movies like HULK and WATCHMEN,TRANSFORMERS, everything Dreamworks animation, most Pixar films, the SAW films, THE DEPARTED, anything Jason Statham was in, 300, Harry Potter films, and I think a few thousand more.

#73 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:34 AM

Definitely Transporter 3, The Spirit, Watchmen and Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

I hate you. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, how can you dislike Harry Potter? Harry Potter is my childhood. !! :)

#74 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:15 AM

And none of the Potter films qualifiy as "worst films of the decade".

I would nominate the "Human Centipede"-films, however.

#75 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:19 AM

I would nominate the "Human Centipede"-films, however.

Haven't even seen the films, but just based on the premise alone I think I'd be inclined to agree with you. I love horror films, but these I just won't touch.

#76 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:42 PM

Human Centipede II at least went for an interesting (and fairly original) metatextual concept. Maybe it was ultimately just an excuse for a series of gross-out gags, but I'd still say it had a lot more worth than (for example) the Platinum Dunes remakes.

#77 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:21 PM

I have never seen any of them, only read about them and - well, with plots like those I just don´t think that they can be interesting or original at all. This is just sick. The lowest of the lowest. Just the content disqualifies them (for me).

Having said that, I do like a good horror movie. But the gross out thing was never something I could enjoy in any way. Somehow I do not like to be grossed out.

#78 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:22 PM

And none of the Potter films qualifiy as "worst films of the decade".

Thank you! They are amazing! Well not amazing, because they cut out so much from the books but to be on the worst of the decade is absolutely outrageous, in my opinion.

#79 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:34 PM

I have never seen any of them, only read about them and - well, with plots like those I just don´t think that they can be interesting or original at all. This is just sick. The lowest of the lowest. Just the content disqualifies them (for me).

No offence but isn't calling a film a decade low point when you haven't seen it just a bit, well, wrong?

I mean, I'm not going to start an argument over it as, believe me, those films aren't worth it, but if someone said, for example, that Craig was a disgrace to Bond and all his films were terrible when they hadn't actually seen them, you wouldn't accept that would you?

#80 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:18 AM

Are we only counting cinematic releases? Because I would vote for Sharktopus for the worst film of the decade.

#81 Shaun Forever

Shaun Forever

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1067 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:04 AM

I saw about ten minutes of that recently, and yes it was truly shocking.

Funnily enough, saw this on the same channel not that long before:

It's frightening to think there are some people out there, with some great scripts, and instead we're treated to Sharktopus and Titanic 2.......

#82 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:50 AM

Oh I know it's mind boggling. I can't believe Bruce Davison agreed to make this film too. Let's also not forget Snakes on A Train and Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus.

#83 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:15 AM

No offence but isn't calling a film a decade low point when you haven't seen it just a bit, well, wrong?

I mean, I'm not going to start an argument over it as, believe me, those films aren't worth it, but if someone said, for example, that Craig was a disgrace to Bond and all his films were terrible when they hadn't actually seen them, you wouldn't accept that would you?

I agree with you. The Centipede-films, however, are an exception for me - there I draw the line when content is so shockingly inhuman that I cannot imagine any artistic value in it. Therefore I choose not to see it.

#84 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:19 PM

I think the content of the Matrix sequels is also shockingly inhuman.

#85 gkgyver

gkgyver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1891 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:37 AM

Worst film of the decade is Star Wars Episode II Attack Of The Clones.

Considering the talent involved, expectations, and money spent on it, it is a disastrous, ghastly movie experience never experienced before, on all levels.

#86 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:10 AM

Considering the talent involved, expectations, and money spent on it, it is a disastrous, ghastly movie experience never experienced before, on all levels.

I wouldn't say it's the worst, but it's definitely up there.

#87 FlemingBond

FlemingBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:09 PM

'talent, EXPECTATIONS AND MONEY"

we're talking WORST movie. Not EXPECTATIONs.

I mean....there are BAD movies, and then movies people wanted to be different.

Edited by FlemingBond, 18 December 2012 - 05:09 PM.

#88 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:03 PM

'talent, EXPECTATIONS AND MONEY"

we're talking WORST movie. Not EXPECTATIONs.

I mean....there are BAD movies, and then movies people wanted to be different.

Well said FlemingBond.

#89 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:33 AM

I have no idea how the DVD actually came into my possession, but the worst movie I've ever seen is ALIENS VS. PREDATOR: REQUIEM. It rather intriguingly manages to do everything terribly. Dire.

#90 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:18 AM

Both AVPs are pretty bad.