Hear the Quantum song that never was!

199 replies to this topic

#121 Nikos78

Nikos78

Cadet

• Crew
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 02:01 PM

Yeah I know Gustav, it's just that EON have been ******ing up the song all the way through the 90s with the ecxeption of Goldeneye. I mean, how in the world gets Surrender left out in favour of TND? So with the hearing of a song like NGAG I felt that we would at last have a united front against these weird choices of theirs- even if we have no power in our hands. Anyway, it's just fandom speaking.

#122 Gustav Graves

Gustav Graves

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 356 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 02:22 PM

Yeah I know Gustav, it's just that EON have been ******ing up the song all the way through the 90s with the ecxeption of Goldeneye. I mean, how in the world gets Surrender left out in favour of TND? So with the hearing of a song like NGAG I felt that we would at last have a united front against these weird choices of theirs- even if we have no power in our hands. Anyway, it's just fandom speaking.

I think it's not really EON's fault, allthough they kinda loose creative control over the Bond franchise, which is a shame. One of the main problems is Sony Pictures IMO. They rather like to milk the Bond franchise as one big commercial for their Sony products and other people that have a Sony-label on them, like Jack White and Alicia Keys.

I would say: Sony only for ex. production, marketing, distribution, financing.....but Bond producers, David Arnold included, should have full creative control....

#123 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 02:40 PM

I think it's not really EON's fault, allthough they kinda loose creative control over the Bond franchise, which is a shame.

???????

Not true.

#124 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 02:44 PM

If you want it or not, this topic itself, in which mostly younger Bond fans are posting their stuff, is a good reason why the Bond franchise needs a song like 'No Good About Goodbye'. While also many people in here say the song is 'too classic', I would say the song is very timeless. The biggest resemblance between all previous Bond songs until 'Tomorrow Never Dies' were, that they had a timeless feel to it.

'Another Way To Die' completely lacks that basic characteristic. In about 15 years from now, 'AWTD' will sound as one of the most dated Bond songs. While I do agree that Bond shouldn't go back to the past, I disagree with the fact that with 'No Good About Goodbye' producers would go back to the past.

Who cares about stuff dating? It isn't being made to be watched 15 years from now. Should Bond only be driving shapeless cars because the design of them will have 'dated'?

#125 level007

level007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 03:03 PM

i'm right with Nikos78 here.

We should be happy to have this song. we have a rare opportunity to hear what could have been the QOS theme of David Arnold. I guess it would have been different because i don't think Arnold would have chosen Bassey for QOS.
But who cares, Arnold just gave us a B)in Bassey Bond song ! it's a very nice touch from him to all the bond fan and we should thanks him for that.

I liked in a way AWTD, but i must say NGAG is the best of both. i can't stop hearing it since tuesday. Maybe it's because i love the QOS score and the melody is already known to me.

Like others i guess i'll add the song to my QOS album in itunes.

ANyone knows what is going to be the first single from the album ?

#126 David_M

David_M

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1064 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 03:54 PM

Whatever you may think about the song itself (I quite like it), you have to admit Dame Shirley has definitely still got it.

Wow.

#127 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 04:43 PM

I guess I've always thought of music being like wine.

You like what you like. Some get better with age. Some don't.

Shirley will always be a smooth vintage for me.

#128 Gustav Graves

Gustav Graves

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 356 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 05:00 PM

Whatever you may think about the song itself (I quite like it), you have to admit Dame Shirley has definitely still got it.

Wow.

This entire album is FULL of Bond potential. Just, hear the track com posed by John Barry. 'Our Time Is Now' brings me back to the more romantic James Bond themes from the past. This is a gem as well. Utterly marvellous! John Barry is back with a bang as well!:

#129 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 05:02 PM

AWTD was always such a mixed bag to me. Parts of it I generally like, and I think are quite "progressively Bondian."

Honestly, I think the problem is Mr. White himself. I've never been a fan of his vocals, and I think his effort on AWTD is just obscuring and messy. He clashes so uncomfortably with Keyes. I know the point was for the song to be a duet, but every time I hear it - I can't help but think, "God, would you shut up and just let Alicia sing!"

#130 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 05:05 PM

Love the medley and it is reminicent of "We Have All the Time in the World."

Nice. Sweet but not too sappy IMO.

#131 Gustav Graves

Gustav Graves

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 356 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 05:26 PM

I'm in Bond heaven again thanks to this album *sigh* B) . Sad thing is...'QOS' did not...do that to me to such an extent...

#132 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 06:18 PM

I guess I've always thought of music being like wine.

You like what you like. Some get better with age. Some don't.

Shirley will always be a smooth vintage for me.

Gosh; I've never heard anyone describe Bassey as smooth. 'Shrill' perhaps... B)

#133 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 06:28 PM

Gosh; I've never heard anyone describe Bassey as smooth. 'Shrill' perhaps... B)

Her voice is too full and rich to deserve merit the description of "shrill." But, yes, she's quite bombastic and forceful, or at least often has been (there are exceptions, of course, and I can think of a few songs of hers that don't exhibit those qualities). That said, her new album often is very smooth, and reveals a quieter Bassey then we've often known. Particularly songs like "Almost There" and "After the Rain."

#134 Doctor Shatterhand

Doctor Shatterhand

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:48 PM

Once upon a time there was a period where OO7 films were iconic in their cinematic nature. A staccato beat with simple white circles followed by a man who aims his gun at the audience and a musical theme that swept you into a mini story which would then sequed into a beautiful title sequence of half naked women and a song that could be hummed all the way home in the family car. The eye candy and the ear candy was, and still is, an important part of the Bond universe.

Another Way To Die was the equivalent of a kid pulling the tail of a cat. My ears still bleed whenever that song plays. It was horrible and it certainly did not pull me into the film like so many past Bond songs did.

Now we have the rejected David Arnold version and perhaps it did not have Dame Shirley's golden voice attached during song negotiations, but that does not matter. What really matters is that another GREAT Bond song slipped through the fingers of Eon Productions, MGM/UA and Sony/Columbia.

I really don't care about the ones who say they prefer Another Way To Die to this song titled No Good At Goodbye. That group is small in number and, with all due respect, wouldn't know a GREAT Bond song if it hit them in the face (note the sarcasm).

Great Bond songs were iconic like FRWL, GF, TB, YOLT, DAF, LALD, NDIB, MR. They propelled the audience into the world of Bond, where the average person can see a part of the world they have never seen before. Exotic locales, mindblowing set pieces, unimaginable stunts, beautiful women, bizarre villains and all the time we are brought along by a man named James. What fun!

Unfortunately we have had some bad bumps lately. Songs like TND, DAD and AWTD just leave the audience wondering WTF? (What the Fudge?) And the pleasure of humming that melody while treking back to their homes is substituted by a former Bond song on a weathered CD or the nightly news report filtering through the car radio. All the time the Bond fan is saying, "Well, maybe they will get it right the next time." I seriously doubt it.

Today the studios are more interested in pushing the latest singer who considers shouting as a means of supporting his/her way of life rather than thinking of the general audience. Folks, the original OO7 formula works, stop messing with it and give us a Bond song by a talented team of performers such as Dame Shirley Bassey, David Arnold, and Don Black.

Oh by the way, did I say I loved this song? Of course, and after only hearing it once I was humming it while typing this comment. Amazing how that works. Well, maybe they will get it right the next time ... er nevermind.

#135 Gustav Graves

Gustav Graves

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 356 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:56 PM

Doctor Shatterhand? BRAVO. Shall we hug each other and belt 'NGAG' together B).

#136 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:59 PM

This sounds like exactly what you'd get if you made a computer program to create a Generic Bond Theme Song, and I don't just mean Shirley's voice.

Whether or not AWTD worked for you, it's important that the Bond series tries new things so it can continue to grow and stay relevant. This song is not one of those things.

#137 Gustav Graves

Gustav Graves

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 356 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:04 PM

The thing is....recent Bond films don't try new things because of creativity, but solely out of marketing objectives. If you bring in Alicia Keys for a Bond film because her name sells and nothing more....well, then you can start bringing in Lady Gaga, which is new as well.

#138 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:04 PM

This sounds like exactly what you'd get if you made a computer program to create a Generic Bond Theme Song, and I don't just mean Shirley's voice.

Whether or not AWTD worked for you, it's important that the Bond series tries new things so it can continue to grow and stay relevant. This song is not one of those things.

Thank you, dino, for showing that the Empress wears no clothes.

Seriously, everybody's falling over themselves trying to praise this song (including the usually dignified Doctor Shatterhand), but it's just an overrated trifle, nothing more, and it all makes me sick. B)

#139 Gustav Graves

Gustav Graves

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 356 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:09 PM

Then I suggest you throw away half of your collection of Bond films B).

One thing we can agree on I hope? The lyrics by Don Black are really marvellous again :tdown:. Jack White? Eat your heart out!

#140 Doctor Shatterhand

Doctor Shatterhand

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:12 PM

Seriously, everybody's falling over themselves trying to praise this song (including the usually dignified Doctor Shatterhand), but it's just an overrated trifle, nothing more, and it all makes me sick. B)

One man's meat is another man's poison. I'm eating angus beef tonight, how's your tainted cigarette?

#141 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:16 PM

Thank you, dino, for showing that the Empress wears no clothes.

God, must you always be so over dramatic!? :tdown:

#142 Mr_Wint

Mr_Wint

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2406 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:30 PM

Why don't you write that program, and send it to me.

Whether or not AWTD worked for you, it's important that the Bond series tries new things (...)

I don't care about their intentions. Wheather or not it works is more important than anything else. Maybe it's just me.

#143 Nicolas Suszczyk

Nicolas Suszczyk

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3735 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:31 PM

I've been practizing my listening trying to write down the lyrics of this beautiful song. I really love it!

Could any English speaking Bond fan be a dear and correct my writing down, please?

Where is the solace that I create
Will it still **handle (?)** to my grave
Too broken to forgive
Too painful to relieve now

There may be other arms to hold
They only keep me from the **call (?)**
There always be a space
A ________ I have to face now

How long does a heart stay broken
How long, if the **pains are spoken (?)**
No solace in a kiss
No comfort in a sigh
No good about goodbye

My heart is not good at pretending
If knows that the _______ never ending
No solace in a kiss
No comfort in a sigh
No good about goodbye

There's only so much you can give
Only **who forgets to live (?)**
An easy thing to say
The past will go away now

How long, if the **pains are spoken (?)**
No solace in a kiss
No comfort in a sigh
No good about goodbye

#144 Gustav Graves

Gustav Graves

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 356 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:18 PM

I think this answers your uncertain blanks in your lyrics B)

1st Verse:
Where is the solace that I crave
Will it still haunt me to my grave
Too broken to forgive
Too painful to relive now

There may be other arms to hold
They'll only keep me from the cold
There always be a space
A fact I have to face now

Chorus:
How long, if the pain's unspoken
No solace in a kiss
No comfort in a sigh
No good about goodbye

My heart is no good at pretending
It knows that the hurt's never ending
No solace in a kiss
No comfort in a sigh
No good about goodbye

2nd Verse:
There's only so much you can give
Only a fool forgets to live
An easy thing to say
The past will go away.....now

Chorus:
No solace in a kiss
No comfort in a sigh
No good about goodbye

No solace in a kiss
No comfort in a sigh
No good about goodbye

Bridge:
I'll never be yours
So call on to your senses
Before you make your move
Think of your consequences

Chorus:
No solace in a kiss
No comfort in a sigh
No good about goodbye

No solace in a kiss
No comfort in a sigh
No good about goodbye
No good about goodbye
No good about goodbyeeeeeee

I think that's a more accurate translation of the lyrics :tdown:

Edited by Gustav Graves, 12 November 2009 - 10:17 PM.

#145 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 10:00 PM

I'm sorry, but the title phrase in the context of the song is laughably nonsensical. B)

#146 Gustav Graves

Gustav Graves

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 356 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 10:15 PM

Have you actually READ past ;yrics for Bond films? Leslie Bricusse? Don Black? They all are very suggestive off course, but that's what I like B).

#147 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 11:10 PM

Indeed. In fact as other's pointed out it really didnt sound too different from Arnold's "Surrender" a song that, while I know other's say it should have been the theme, was rightfully placed at the end of the film...I'm a huge fan of Crowe's Tomorrow Never Dies.

Well it worked for me, and more importantly it fit the tone and theme of the film. This song would felt incredibly out of place if it were the theme for QoS.

#148 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 11:13 PM

Well it worked for me, and more importantly it fit the tone and theme of the film. This song would felt incredibly out of place if it were the theme for QoS.

Agreed; there's nothing new here, folks, move along...

#149 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 11:15 PM

Now don't get me wrong, Bassey has a wonderful voice, and I wouldnt mind (nay I'd love it) if she came back and sang a Bond song. But this...this just isn't that song.

#150 Gustav Graves

Gustav Graves

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 356 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 11:48 PM

Agreed; there's nothing new here, folks, move along...

Why....move along? This is a great discussion so far. That's why I like being a Bond fan. Out of place or not, at least 'NGAG' is a real song with melody in it. 'AWTD' is just noise........