199 replies to this topic

#1 JADSTERSDAD

JADSTERSDAD

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:20 AM

Well... here it is! Great news, I'd say.

On the fantastic new Dame Shirley Bassey album (also including a new song by John Barry and Don Black) produced by David Arnold is.....

Undeniably Arnold/Black's rejected song for Quantum. There is a five-note intro that appears prominently in the score, plus the word 'Solace' in the chorus and a general theme that ties in with Bond's state of mind.

It's not the best Bond song ever, but miles high above the trash that is Another Way to Die. If only we could get it replaced for the collector's edition dvd. I'm dreaming........

#2 zerominus

zerominus

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 88 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:33 AM

What is the title of this song please?

#3 WC

WC

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1415 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:27 AM

It's called "No good about goodbye"

And it does certainly sound bondian.

#4 pieffra

pieffra

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 303 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 11:46 AM

It's certainly better than the one we listened in the movie.
A classical bondian sound against a rock trash and ripetitive noises...
While going on others stage with the charachter and the way to film the franchise, could be the right way to go, this kind of music remains the typical brand of Bond recognization

#5 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 05:00 PM

Yes, I'd say it's exceedingly likely that "No Good About Goodbye" is Arnold's rejected song from QUANTUM OF SOLACE. And while it's not exactly boundary-pushing (it's very, very much in the classic mold of a Bond theme, ala Arnold's "Surrender"), it's a good deal more elegant, satisfying, and appropriate than "Another Way to Die."

#6 Mr_Wint

Mr_Wint

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2406 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 05:18 PM

Nice to finally hear the full version. I think it is a million times better than the utter trash we got with AWTD.

#7 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 05:41 PM

WOW!

I love it!

#8 The Ghost Who Walks

The Ghost Who Walks

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 05:44 PM

I'm not sure if I actually like AWTD better. It does have a kick-B) guitar riff that I could hear all day without tiring of it.

I'm surprised that Bassey's voice is still so powerful.

#9 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 05:48 PM

How long will it take for somebody to have this song sync'd with the opening to QoS on Youtube?

#10 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 05:51 PM

Simply beautiful AND it would have worked so well.

EoN and company need to realise that the audience does have some class and not stoop to marketing pressures.
The "hip" Keys/White choice was diabolical and for me, hearing Bassey's song would have made QoS bearable.

#11 plankattack

plankattack

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1385 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 06:13 PM

I'm afraid I'm going to have to be the lone voice in the wilderness on this one. I don't think this is anywhere near the quality of "Surrender", Arnold's other discarded theme song. And other than the five-note melody there is nothing memorable about it (we note the melody because it was so prevalent in the film, rather than it standing out on it's own, which is true about the "hooks" of the most celebrated songs in the series). To be honest, if it weren't for Bassey's presence, I don't think there'd be anything to this at all.

As for AWTD, I quite enjoy it myself, and definitely feel it fits the slam-bam nature of the film that follows it. Not it's not a classic, but IMHO, it's better than this. I know that the reason that Crow's TND replaced Surrender was purely commercial. I have to say, the reason here is quality.

Now, please chastise me for being barking mad B)

#12 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 06:19 PM

I agree it is not the greatest song out there, but it is far removed from that vile that is AWTD.

#13 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 06:43 PM

. . . other than the five-note melody there is nothing memorable about it (we note the melody because it was so prevalent in the film, rather than it standing out on it's own, which is true about the "hooks" of the most celebrated songs in the series). To be honest, if it weren't for Bassey's presence, I don't think there'd be anything to this at all.

I completely agree. Very forgettable. But at least "No Good About Goodbye" isn't irritating or jarring, like "Another Way to Die" often happens to be.

#14 Henry-Jones-Sr

Henry-Jones-Sr

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 173 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 07:16 PM

What a dirge! Within seconds I knew it was just a lazy rewrite of Surrender and The World Is Not Enough, the former of which is itself a rewrite of Diamonds Are Forever and the latter is just ... well, the soundtrack to a funeral to be honest.

I really think that recreating the sound and style of the classic Bond songs is no way to go about it. Just think of Live And Let Die, Nobody Does It Better, A View To A Kill, You Know My Name ... all gave something 'new' to the series, while definitely giving the Bond vibe. White and Keys may have failed with their song, but at least it was its own man, as it were. It crackles and moves along nicely, and I'd take that over the Bassey song any day.

#15 Nicolas Suszczyk

Nicolas Suszczyk

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3735 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 07:42 PM

Wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I prefer it over AWTD (tough I've liked the latter one)

Lyrics, pls.

#16 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:21 PM

It's good I guess, but can't say I care for it that much. Forgettable, a bit dull, and honestly I'm not even 2 minutes in and it's beginning to annoy me a little bit. Another Way to Die wasn't by any means the best Bond theme, but it was certainly better than this. Now then, time to arm the blast shields...

#17 Mr_Wint

Mr_Wint

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2406 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:21 PM

(...) rather than it standing out on it's own, which is true about the "hooks" of the most celebrated songs in the series).

I don't see why the title tune to a Bondfilm has to "stand out on its own". It's not a marketing ploy. First and foremost, the theme song should complement and enhance the overall film and work with the rest of the score. It should be written and produced specifically for the film. If the single gets a good chart position, fine. If not, who cares? To me, "No Good About Goodbye" sounds like an honest attempt to create a theme tune to QOS. The song is enhanced by the film and vice versa.

#18 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:26 PM

I don't love it.

#19 bond 16.05.72

bond 16.05.72

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1068 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:41 PM

A good song I guess but I've never understood the tirade of abuse that AWTD got, granted it's probably the worst thing Jack White has ever composed but I'll take it over any of the Brosnan themes with maybe the exception of GE.

Jack should have recorded it with The Raconteurs, Alicia Keyes was big mistake, I think AWTD could have been so much better but it's nowhere the song some have made it out to be.

We'll see how Bond 23's theme works won't we, it might be worse!

#20 sthgilyadgnivileht

sthgilyadgnivileht

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:59 PM

Certainly interesting to hear, but that is about it for me on first impressions. Bassey sings it very well, (all credit to her as the super performer that she is), but I don't see this song fitting into the atmosphere of QoS for some reason. It just doesn't seem right, and i'm not sorry it wasn't used really.
It does echo 'surrender', but also reminds me a bit of 'windmills of your mind', from The Thomas Crown Affair.

#21 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:04 PM

It's good I guess, but can't say I care for it that much. Forgettable, a bit dull, and honestly I'm not even 2 minutes in and it's beginning to annoy me a little bit. Another Way to Die wasn't by any means the best Bond theme, but it was certainly better than this. Now then, time to arm the blast shields...

You forget though, that to fit the typical length of the credits sequence, the song would only be 2-3 minutes, anyway, rather than the complete 4:23 length we have here. Bassey's vocals are much more powerful and iconic than Keys' or White's and that mysterious recurring string line (that everyone assumed was the Quantum motif) is very catchy.

This is not the best Bond theme, obviously, but within the context of Bassey's themes, it would probably be above "Moonraker" for me.

#22 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:10 PM

Now see, for me, Moonraker was the best of Bassey's Bond work, with Goldfinger being the absolute worst (everything about that song makes my ears bleed).

#23 sthgilyadgnivileht

sthgilyadgnivileht

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:13 PM

For me Moonraker skyrockets above this

#24 Mr. Osato

Mr. Osato

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 64 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:15 PM

...it's a little over the top.

#25 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:57 PM

It's no "Goldfinger", "Diamonds Are Forever" or "Moonraker", but it's far from diabolical and certainly fits the film. Can't be bothered to play it again (truth be told, I couldn't even be arsed to play the whole thing), but I'll be generous and assume that it's a grower (as, of course, were "You Know My Name" and "Another Way to Die" - hearing those two for the first time was very underwhelming, although I love 'em now).

Presumably this song was recorded after the release of QUANTUM OF SOLACE, because otherwise it means that Eon turned down the return to the Bond series of Shirley Bassey (and Don Black).... which is just unthinkable. Even with a non-brilliant song, Dame Shirl's return would have resulted in incredible publicity and goodwill. Passing on it would be like having a John Barry score all done and dusted for GOLDENEYE but choosing to go with Eric Serra. Or, if it turned out that Ian Fleming had actually faked his death for some reason and were alive and well and living in Slough, not hiring him to pen the next Bond novel but opting for Sebastian Faulks instead. Un. Thinkable.

So don't tell me that they actually turned the Bassmeister down.... did they?

#26 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 11:15 PM

It's definitely no "Goldfinger", "Diamonds are Forever" or "Moonraker", but it's still old school Bond. I admire the concept. Tonally and lyrically, it is far more appropriate. And obviously a million times better than "Another Way to Die".

#27 plankattack

plankattack

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1385 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 11:35 PM

(...) rather than it standing out on it's own, which is true about the "hooks" of the most celebrated songs in the series).

I don't see why the title tune to a Bondfilm has to "stand out on its own". It's not a marketing ploy. First and foremost, the theme song should complement and enhance the overall film and work with the rest of the score. It should be written and produced specifically for the film. If the single gets a good chart position, fine. If not, who cares? To me, "No Good About Goodbye" sounds like an honest attempt to create a theme tune to QOS. The song is enhanced by the film and vice versa.

Mr Wint my friend, I wasn't suggesting that the song has to "stand out on it's own" compared to the film. My point was that unlike, say Barry's DAF, there was nothing in the song itself that made it particularly memorable as a song. Unlike say GF with Bassey blasting away or TSWLM with its tinkled piano intro, or DAF with its big finish (a la GF...). Admittedly, if I listened to it ten times, I might find something about it that will make it stand out in the memory; but I just wasn't th convinced it was interesting enough to get me to listen to it ten times. It's a big like DAD in that - heard it once, now move on.

#28 the doctor

the doctor

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 63 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 11:38 PM

gotta say I cant see anything special here. I believe that it does not fit with the overall tone of QoS at all. Still prefer AWTD

#29 sthgilyadgnivileht

sthgilyadgnivileht

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 11:43 PM

gotta say I cant see anything special here. I believe that it does not fit with the overall tone of QoS at all. Still prefer AWTD

That's what I think, nothing in QoS that was, for want of a better expression, camp enough to take a song like this.

#30 Professor Dent

Professor Dent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5326 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 12:12 AM

I like it. Not as good as her Goldfinger or Moonraker songs but a very good modern Bassey song.