281 replies to this topic

#1 danielcraigisjamesbond007

danielcraigisjamesbond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2002 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 11:52 PM

Is there anyone else on these forums that's a huge fan of this show?
I absolutely LOVE this show. Some people compare it to High School Musical, but it's really not. It's written 100x better than all of the HSM movies put together. I also really like how actual songs are used for the show, instead of some song that was written in like five minutes.
Jane Lynch should get an Emmy for her role as Sue Sylvester. I love some of her lines: "Without those endorsements, I won't be able to buy my hovercraft." B)

So, any other Gleeks here?

#2 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 05:55 AM

I love the show as well, and was really surprised that I did because I generally dislike musicals. As you said, Jane Lynch is hysterical as Sue Sylvester (and should get an Emmy nod for her work), but for me, the real star is Lea Michele, who should become a major talent in the music industry in the near future. Dianna Agron and Cory Monteith are both excellent as well.

#3 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 08:29 AM

I watched the first two episodes...the third episode left me pretty cold. So when it came to the fourth episode I had to choose between it or Criminal Minds (which was the season premiere) and Criminal Minds won out.

#4 danielcraigisjamesbond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2002 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 04:19 PM

Well, the season finale of Glee was on Wednesday. Has anyone seen it? Thoughts? Comments on the season as a whole?

#5 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 10:58 PM

I thought that the Fall finale was a bit of a mixed bag (it's not really a season finale, per se, since Season 1 will pick up again in April). I thought that several things were extremely rushed:
Spoiler

Overall, though, a good episode (there hasn't been a bad episode of Glee yet, IMO), but I wish that they could have gone into the hiatus on a bit stronger of a note. Also would have liked to have seen "Don't Stop Believing" performed again, since that was pretty much a foregone conclusion to have been one of their numbers for the sectionals competition.

EDIT: At least there's going to be some new content coming out of the production team during the hiatus.

'Glee': Source says there are plans to release original content during hiatus

Hopefully this will mean more cover songs, as those have been nothing short of phenomenal this season, with quite a few of them even besting the original versions, or at least being on par with the original versions ("Taking Chances" by Lea Michele, "No Air" by Lea Michele and Cory Monteith, "Crush" by Lea Michele, and "Papa Don't Preach" by Dianna Agron come to mind as examples).

#6 danielcraigisjamesbond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2002 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 04:54 AM

I would agree with you. I felt that all of the plot lines that were brought up in the first few episodes were resolved way too quickly.
However, my expectations for the next "season" are incredibly high. I think that my favorite character in the entire series is Sue. Next season, I want to see more of Sue...

#7 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 07:10 AM

I would agree with you. I felt that all of the plot lines that were brought up in the first few episodes were resolved way too quickly.
However, my expectations for the next "season" are incredibly high. I think that my favorite character in the entire series is Sue. Next season, I want to see more of Sue...

Well, I don't think that everything that they've done has been rushed, at least until the last two episodes. I thought that they were doing a great job of deliberately dragging out the Quinn/Finn/Rachel/Puck storyline until, all of a sudden, it was put to rest in the span of two episodes. I figured that Finn would find out what he found out in the last episode, and he handled it about how I expected him to initially, but then it was dropped from the episode and never mentioned again. There needed to be much more about his reaction to it, and I don't care how great at pep talks Schuester is, he's not that good. B)

I agree with you about Sue, although I don't think that I'd necessarily rate her as my absolute favorite character on the show at this point. She's fantastic, and Jane Lynch is (and should be) a sure-fire Emmy nominee and winner for her potrayal of the character. I will say, though, that Lea Michele and Dianna Agron have risen to the top of my favorites list from the series. Lea Michele has fantastic comedic timing, as well as possibly the best voice I've heard from a female vocalist in quite some time. That she is often able to take the cover songs she's assigned for each episode and turn in performances that either rival or actually best the original artists versions speaks to her talent (for example, I'd take her versions of "Taking Chances", "Crush", and her duet of "No Air" with Cory Monteith over the originals any day of the week. Also, her vocals on "Don't Stop Believing" and "Somebody to Love" are impeccable, and stand up just as well as the originals). As for Agron, she's turning out to be quite the dramatic actress. That she's able to get me to like what should be, at least on the surface, a rather unlikable character in Quinn Fabray speaks volumes to her talent. She's also got a nice voice as well, as shown in her version of "Papa Don't Preach", which was outstanding.

#8 agentjamesbond007

agentjamesbond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 08:05 AM

I never watched it, but I was always wondering what it was about.

#9 danielcraigisjamesbond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2002 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 03:16 PM

I never watched it, but I was always wondering what it was about.

It's sort of like FAME. The show revolves around a high school singing group, and they deal with a lot of adult themes (ie pregnancy, drugs, etc.). And there's the cheerleading coach who wants to destroy the Glee club every week.

For every episode, the Glee kids do a cover of some songs (ie "Don't Stop Believin'") and they do a pretty good job of it too.

#10 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 07:33 PM

For every episode, the Glee kids do a cover of some songs (ie "Don't Stop Believin'") and they do a pretty good job of it too.

Yes, they certainly do. Considering how poor the music scene has been recently, I'm somewhat surprised that none of the actors/performers on the show have never landed major recording deals, as most of them are vastly superior to most of the pop vocalists currently out there.

#11 JackWade

JackWade

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 06:08 AM

All I know about this show is that I see their songs on iTunes and they are all horrible degradations of classic songs.

#12 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 09:39 AM

All I know about this show is that I see their songs on iTunes and they are all horrible degradations of classic songs.

There are very few classic songs that are covered by the show. "Don't Stop Believing", "Somebody to Love", "You Can't Always Get What You Want", and "Proud Mary" are the only real true classics that the show has covered. The rest have either been rather mediocre pop songs that have, in many cases, actually been improved upon by the show ("No Air", "Crush", "Papa Don't Preach", "Taking Chances", "Take a Bow", etc.) or Broadway songs that fit rather well into the style of the show. The only song that they've really botched has been Van Halen's "Jump" (which I'll admit, was fairly difficult to listen to).

#13 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 10:17 AM

It doesn't appeal to me but the water-boarding joke in one of the ads was very funny.

#14 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 10:23 AM

It doesn't appeal to me but the water-boarding joke in one of the ads was very funny.

Yeah, that was pretty funny, as are most of Jane Lynch's lines in the show. If it hadn't been for her, I doubt I would have ever tuned into the show, as I'm not a fan of musicals one bit (I just happen to like this one as it's more of an outrageous comedy than a straight-up musical, plut they're singing a good number of songs that I like, and performing them quite well)

#15 danielcraigisjamesbond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2002 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 12:26 AM

Yeah, that was pretty funny, as are most of Jane Lynch's lines in the show.

I love most of Jane Lynch's lines. There was one where she saw Quinn quiver at the top of a cheerleading pyramid. Sue says something along the lines of "Without those endorsements, I won't be able to buy my hovercraft."
Another one of my favorite episodes was Throwdown, where Sue had control over half of the Glee club.
You're right. She should totally win the Emmy for that role.

#16 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 03:14 PM

The Golden Globe nominations are out today, and Glee did spectacularly well, much better than I would have anticipated. It's nominations are as follows:

BEST TELEVISION SERIES - COMEDY OR MUSICAL

BEST ACTOR IN A TELEVISION SERIES - COMEDY OR MUSICAL: Matthew Morrison

BEST ACTRESS IN A TELEVISION SERIES - COMEDY OR MUSICAL: Lea Michele

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A TELEVISION SERIES - COMEDY OR MUSICAL: Jane Lynch

I fully expected the nomination for Jane Lynch, but I was pleasantly surprised by the other nominations, especially Lea Michele's nominations, which is very, very deserved.

#17 danielcraigisjamesbond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2002 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 06:24 PM

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A TELEVISION SERIES - COMEDY OR MUSICAL: Jane Lynch

B) :tdown: :tdown: :)
Totally well earned for Lynch, and for the rest of the Glee nominees! :) Fingers crossed!

#18 danielcraigisjamesbond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2002 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 02:42 PM

Glee was nominated for and won the People's Choice Award for best new comedy.
I know that it probably doesn't mean much, but I still call that a victory! B)

(However, the moment was ruined when the cast had to bring out several DiGiorno's pizza delivery people.)

So, has anyone heard anything about the next season?
Also, how will the rest of the series work out? Next is regionals, but would it be states then nationals???

#19 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 08:59 PM

I haven't checked it yet, but since it's by the creator of Nip/Tuck, which was a pretty cool TV show, I'll certainly give it a try.

#20 danielcraigisjamesbond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2002 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 04:05 AM

I was ecstatic to tune in to last night's Golden Globes and see that Glee had FINALLY won an award for best comedy series!
Although none of the actors nominated won their awards, it was still nice to see that the cast had been nominated.
Can't wait for next season! B)

#21 danielcraigisjamesbond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2002 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 07:19 PM

I found these articles for the next season of Glee. Enjoy!

http://ausiellofiles...patrick-harris/

http://ausiellofiles...rs-rachel-puck/

#22 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 10:47 PM

I've never seen it, but I assume that, like every popular US TV series these days, it has alot of sarcastic wise-cracking and snide comments.

#23 danielcraigisjamesbond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2002 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 04:40 AM

Just tonight, Glee won a Screen Actors Guild award for Best Comedy Series Ensemble!

#24 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 08:38 AM

I've never seen it, but I assume that, like every popular US TV series these days, it has alot of sarcastic wise-cracking and snide comments.

British tv shows have that too.

#25 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 08:46 AM

Just tonight, Glee won a Screen Actors Guild award for Best Comedy Series Ensemble!

Glad to see it picked up another win (which is amazing since only roughly half of the series' first season has aired at this point). My only disappointment with the awards was that there wasn't a nomination for Lea Michele for lead actress, as she's a certainly deserving candidate for the award, and I'd take her performance as Rachel over most of the performances that actually were nominated this year.

#26 danielcraigisjamesbond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2002 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 03:23 PM

Glad to see it picked up another win (which is amazing since only roughly half of the series' first season has aired at this point). My only disappointment with the awards was that there wasn't a nomination for Lea Michele for lead actress, as she's a certainly deserving candidate for the award, and I'd take her performance as Rachel over most of the performances that actually were nominated this year.

I agree! I was so excited to see it win ANOTHER award. However, it is only a "freshman" show, if you will. Perhaps next year, Glee'll have a better chance of picking up even MORE awards.
But, I agree with you on Lea's role. She was fantastic. Just listen to her voice over in the first episode.
I was also suprised to see that Jane Lynch didn't win her award. How disappointing was that?

#27 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 07:59 PM

Jane Lynch is genius.

BTW, she's a friend of a friend. I set up her Mac for her. B)

#28 DAN LIGHTER

DAN LIGHTER

Lt. Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 06:45 PM

Glee is a brilliant show, and to think us Bond hardcore are gushing over it! B)

#29 danielcraigisjamesbond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2002 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 03:00 AM

From what I hear, the producers are looking for 3 new people to join the cast. One is supposed to be a "male Mercedes"
(http://ausiellofiles...-role-revealed/)
the next one is supposed to be Kurt's boyfriend, and the third is one that is supposed to "steal Rachel's thunder." I can't wait to see the direction they're taking for the next season!

Glee is a brilliant show, and to think us Bond hardcore are gushing over it! B)

:tdown:

#30 danielcraigisjamesbond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2002 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 05:04 AM

Molly Shannon is coming to Glee!

http://ausiellofiles...-sue-sylvester/