This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Who do you want for Bond 7? * POLL ADDED*

4014 replies to this topic

Poll: In lieu of proper news, let's have an opinion...

Do you think Daniel Craig will return for BOND 25?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Now that's out of the way, do you WANT Daniel Craig to return as Bond?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Suppose Daniel Craig will be back as 007, for how many films would you wish to see him back?

Should Daniel Craig not return as James Bond, would you want the current timeline continued?

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1051 Frankie

Frankie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:45 PM

Perhaps Craig got the part because he performed his screentest better than the others they brought in.

I haven't been drinking any "public relations Kool-Aid", and contrary to that accusation, I'm not a brainless person (which is the basic meaning behind the term "drinking the kool-aid) that needs the almighty EON to tell me what's good and what isn't. . I've watched Craig in two Bond films and he's performed brilliantly as Bond in both of them, coming closer than probably any of the other actors to portraying the character that Fleming created. For whatever reason he got the job (and I'd say that it's very far from being a "fact" that he got it for the reasons you state), Broccoli and Wilson have been proven to be correct several times over in their choice of Craig for the role.

Whatever dude. He's a capable actor. But there are many capable actors out there who fit the part better. BTW, the cinematic Bond has differences with the book Bond. Connery set that standard (which nobody has met yet) and despite Fleming's early objection he was perfectly happy with him when he saw the finished product.

I've never seen a male so concerned with the height of another male to the point where it's almost obsessive that edited pictures are actually being posted to make the point. Does Craig look short in the movies? No, he doesn't. At shortest he's probably 5'10'' (that and 5'11'' seem to be the common heights given for him in biographies), which is still not "woefully" under 6 feet tall.

What can I say. I'm a visual kinda guy. And your reply is lightly spiked with the venom of having been shown wrong. Good enough for me. ;)

#1052 Double-0-Seven

Double-0-Seven

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2710 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:57 AM

So my opinion that Daniel Craig doesn't look short in the films and therefore I couldn't care less if he is indeed 5'8'' is wrong? Even though I'm fairly certain it's otherwise based on the other picture that was posted and anything I can find in biographies of him.

It's also interesting that you state that nobody has matched Connery's standard. I agree that he set the standard, inevitably he did because he was the first, but whether or not the others have matched it is entirely subjective, no? You're of course welcome to your opinion, as is everybody, but don't state it like it's fact.

#1053 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:01 AM

So my opinion that Daniel Craig doesn't look short in the films and therefore I couldn't care less if he is indeed 5'8'' is wrong? Even though I'm fairly certain it's otherwise based on the other picture that was posted and anything I can find in biographies of him.

It's also interesting that you state that nobody has matched Connery's standard. I agree that he set the standard, inevitably he did because he was the first, but whether or not the others have matched it is entirely subjective, no? You're of course welcome to your opinion, as is everybody, but don't state it like it's fact.

Well said, Double-0-Seven. Well said.

#1054 Trevelyan 006

Trevelyan 006

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:14 AM

who do you think should be the next Bond?

Posted Image

But in all seriousness, Somebody we know virtually nothing about would suffice I think..
I'm trying not to think of when the time comes and Craig has to step away.

#1055 DominicGreene

DominicGreene

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:51 AM

BARRY SLOANE. He plays a Bond type character on the show "Revenge," and has a definitely Clive Owen vibe. Sounds like Bond, and looks like Bond.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by DominicGreene, 13 November 2012 - 02:56 AM.

#1056 Frankie

Frankie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:08 AM

Posted Image

CASE CLOSED.

#1057 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:25 AM

There is no case, Frankie. And please stop insulting people for having different opinions. Yours are welcome, too. But they can be challenged just as well.

#1058 Frankie

Frankie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:53 AM

There is no case, Frankie. And please stop insulting people for having different opinions. Yours are welcome, too. But they can be challenged just as well.

I insulted people exactly when?

And the "case" in question was made by the poster who said that Connery's "standard" was only because he was the first. The picture was supposed to put that notion to rest.

I submit most of you people so enamoured by Craig will be just as enamoured and possibly more so by the next actor who portrays Bond. Driven more by the "flavor of the week" mentality than by the aptness of the actor.

Edited by Frankie, 13 November 2012 - 05:53 AM.

#1059 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:02 AM

Posted Image

CASE CLOSED.

Posted Image

CASE RE-OPENED.

#1060 Frankie

Frankie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:08 AM

Posted Image

CASE CLOSED.

Posted Image

CASE RE-OPENED.

Thank you for proving that even an old Connery is better suited for the role than some thug looking short guy. Job well done.
. :laugh:

#1061 seawolfnyy

seawolfnyy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4763 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:11 AM

Frankie, are you saying a 38 year old Daniel Craig is now old Connery?

#1062 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:22 AM

This doesn't seem to be going anywhere at the moment.

Given that the thread seems to invite people to say who they want, it seems to be a bit of a trick to invite them in to innocently venture their view and then bat them down for various mystifying reasons.

I can change the title to "Pictures of men I want as James Bond and if I don't like your preferences be sure I will tell you this" as it may be more honest. Bit long, perhaps, but more honest. Just let me know, happy to oblige.

#1063 PPK_19

PPK_19

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:45 AM

Daniel Craig is 5"11.

I want Henry Cavill. Cliched, but he's a fine actor.

#1064 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:46 PM

This doesn't seem to be going anywhere at the moment.

Given that the thread seems to invite people to say who they want, it seems to be a bit of a trick to invite them in to innocently venture their view and then bat them down for various mystifying reasons.

I can change the title to "Pictures of men I want as James Bond and if I don't like your preferences be sure I will tell you this" as it may be more honest. Bit long, perhaps, but more honest. Just let me know, happy to oblige.

I think it´s time for that.

#1065 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:04 PM

Posted Image

CASE CLOSED.

Posted Image

CASE RE-OPENED.

Thank you for proving that even an old Connery is better suited for the role than some thug looking short guy. Job well done.
. :laugh:

Please Daniel Craig looks sexy in that picture, that is a horrible picture of Connery FYI. Also Craig isn't even that short... get your facts straight

Daniel Craig is 5"11.

I want Henry Cavill. Cliched, but he's a fine actor.

Exactly 5'11 isn't that short... That's who I said would be good for the next James Bond. He has my stamp of approval.

#1066 elizabeth

elizabeth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2285 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:13 PM

So my opinion that Daniel Craig doesn't look short in the films and therefore I couldn't care less if he is indeed 5'8'' is wrong?

Donald O'Connor was 5'8". Gene Kelly was 5'7". I couldn't care less if they were 4'1". Never seen two better, handsome dancers in all my life. But I digress.

Connery is the best, but I like Craig. Granted, I hated Quantum of Solace, but Craig's debut in CR was perfect and set the tone for what should be (and has been so far, QoS being excused) a great Bond era.

Oh yeah, I forgot to show you this:

And your reply is lightly spiked with the venom of having been shown wrong. Good enough for me. ;)

#1067 Frankie

Frankie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:31 PM

Exactly 5'11 isn't that short... That's who I said would be good for the next James Bond. He has my stamp of approval.

Well now that settles it. We can all rejoice in the fact that Craig has your stamp of approval. And that you wisely ignore the pathetic visual evidence I provided in favor of what EON and IMDB list Craig's height at. :laugh:

So my opinion that Daniel Craig doesn't look short in the films and therefore I couldn't care less if he is indeed 5'8'' is wrong?

Donald O'Connor was 5'8". Gene Kelly was 5'7". I couldn't care less if they were 4'1". Never seen two better, handsome dancers in all my life. But I digress.

Connery is the best, but I like Craig. Granted, I hated Quantum of Solace, but Craig's debut in CR was perfect and set the tone for what should be (and has been so far, QoS being excused) a great Bond era.

And your reply is lightly spiked with the venom of having been shown wrong. Good enough for me. ;)

Ah, Donald O'Connor and Gene Kelly. Two of the best Bonds ever.

And once again, how did I insult anyone?

#1068 Iceskater101

Iceskater101

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2398 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:34 PM

You didn't really insult anyone you were just being a smart ass. Please the visual evidence points to Craig not Connery...

#1069 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:07 PM

Frankie, you've been asked kindly (by two different moderators no less) to dial it back a bit. Perhaps it would be wise to take their advice.

#1070 elizabeth

elizabeth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2285 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:19 PM

Well now that settles it. We can all rejoice in the fact that Craig has your stamp of approval. And that you wisely ignore the pathetic visual evidence I provided in favor of what EON and IMDB list Craig's height at. :laugh:

Ah, Donald O'Connor and Gene Kelly. Two of the best Bonds ever.

And once again, how did I insult anyone?

You dimwit, I was using an example of two of my favorite actors to show how height doesn't matter and is, quite FRANKIEly, a stupid thing to get worked up over. I even said they were dancers. Like wow, read for once (even though sometimes I wish either of them had played Bond. Kelly would've been perfect and he could play drama and action better than anyone could give him credit for. See THE BLACK HAND and THE THREE MUSKETEERS).

And you insulted people as coming off as high and mighty. Didn't need a magnifying glass to see that.

#1071 Frankie

Frankie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:02 PM

Frankie, you've been asked kindly (by two different moderators no less) to dial it back a bit. Perhaps it would be wise to take their advice.

OMG!...WHAT IS THERE TO DIAL BACK?! Am I insulting Craig? Because I'm sure I'm not insulting any posters? If there is any close relative of Daniel Craig posting and is insulted by my opinion of him as a Bond actor would you reveal yourself?

WOW!!!

You dimwit, I was using an example of two of my favorite actors to show how height doesn't matter and is, quite FRANKIEly, a stupid thing to get worked up over. I even said they were dancers. Like wow, read for once (even though sometimes I wish either of them had played Bond. Kelly would've been perfect and he could play drama and action better than anyone could give him credit for. See THE BLACK HAND and THE THREE MUSKETEERS).

And you insulted people as coming off as high and mighty. Didn't need a magnifying glass to see that.

Irony much?

Calling someone names = insult

Posting your opinion on some actor unqualified for the role = no insult

Yet I am the one repeatedly accused of insulting. Nice going.

#1072 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:06 PM

Little holiday for both of you.

But mostly for the rest of us.

#1073 Yellow Pinky

Yellow Pinky

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 338 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:01 PM

Little holiday for both of you.

But mostly for the rest of us.

Ahhh... That silence IS quite welcome. Thanks, Jim!

#1074 Yellow Pinky

Yellow Pinky

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 338 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:28 PM

I don't envy any actor who has to take over after Craig's tenure is complete. I think it will be just as hard an act to follow as was Connery's. And I think the biggest reason for that is specifically due to Craig being so outside of the classic Bond mold physically.

Do you cast for someone who overtly resembles Craig (and officially set a new "type" for the role moving forward) or do you go back toward the more classic (and yes, taller) dark-haired iconography? Should the latter route be taken, I personally would love to see Richard Armitage in the role. I believe that his prominent role in The Hobbit, especially after his years on TV in MI-5 (Spooks), would place him at the perfect level of notoriety to be "big enough" for the role, while being just shy of "too big" for it.

#1075 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:38 PM

Paddy Considine.

#1076 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:19 PM

I know others have mentioned him before (particularly Pussfeller), but I'm increasingly keen on Rupert Friend to follow Daniel Craig. He's fantastic in HOMELAND.

#1077 lechero

lechero

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 278 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:56 PM

Yep, he'd be a great choice. I am certain Damian Lewis would have made a great Bond also, would he have been cast after Brosnan. He's great in everything I've seen him in so far.
Also get Morena Baccarin as a Bond girl and I'll be a happy camper.

#1078 screamingmoonrock

screamingmoonrock

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 33 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:09 PM

I am in complete agreement with Rupert Friend in being the next James Bond, right age, looks and height and not to well known. He reminds me of Ralph Fiennes and Timothy Dalton. A urbane cold assasin. Perfect choice. Surely the Bond producers must be watching his performance in Homeland and taking note. Last nights episode of him wearing a suit and waiting in the drivers seat for Brodie for "wet work", IMO makes him the only valid replacement for Daniel Craig.

#1079 EyesOnly

EyesOnly

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:56 PM

Rupert Friend kind of looks like Roger Moore to me.

#1080 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:36 AM

Great to see some further support for Mr Friend.

lechero - I agree that Damian Lewis would also have been an excellent choice for Bond a few years ago, and perhaps would have been a very strong candidate to replace Brosnan, if they hadn't taken the reboot option.

As a complete side-note, the most recent episode of HOMELAND that I watched also featured the line "Christ, I miss the Cold War". Fairly random bit of Bond movie dialogue there, albeit almost certainly a coincidence!