This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Who do you want for Bond 7? * POLL ADDED*

4014 replies to this topic

Poll: In lieu of proper news, let's have an opinion...

Do you think Daniel Craig will return for BOND 25?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Now that's out of the way, do you WANT Daniel Craig to return as Bond?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Suppose Daniel Craig will be back as 007, for how many films would you wish to see him back?

Should Daniel Craig not return as James Bond, would you want the current timeline continued?

Vote Guests cannot vote

#391 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 03:45 PM

As for Fleming's Bond, if we're talking about the one who is : "certainly good-looking, rather like Hoagy Carmichael in a way. That black hair falling down over the right eyebrow. Much the same bones. But there was something a bit cruel in the mouth, and the eyes were cold.", then I'd say Craig resembles that one a bit more than Brosnan.

I read that book decades ago. But I vaguely recall Bond looking in the mirror and deny the Carmichael comparison.

Plus if Hoagy was the standard the filmmakers were looking for, Laurence Harvey would have been the original Bond.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Far too effeminate.

#392 Marlowe

Marlowe

Cadet

• Crew
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 03:58 PM

Posted Image
Far too effeminate.

Ridiculous.

#393 Jack Rapace

Jack Rapace

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 68 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 05:16 PM

Posted Image
Far too effeminate.

He has had a daughter who is a famous "bounty hunter"...Too effeminate ? You must be jokin' ! He match perfectly with Fleming's 007 ! Dark hair, cruel mouth, 6'...Nice choice.
Posted Image

#394 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 05:23 PM

What a shame EON didn't chose him from 1995 to 2006...

Posted Image

It's the older subject of all I know but sometimes I think about it, with regrets.
You don't need to give me a "minus" for that, it's just a remembrance of old times...

I never think neglecting Owen was a mistake. More an act of savvy intuition. Just because one actor dons a tux for one barely decent role (THE CROUPIER) does make him a shoe in for Bond.

My feeling is each actor has brought their own twist to the character and has made it their own. Connery, Lazenby, Moore, Dalton, Brosnan, and Craig. The six of them have made it their own character, but Craig suits me to fully believe he is Bond. I'll always take Sean Connery any day, but I'm happy with Daniel Craig.

I don't agree with that attitude. You are then satisfied with first a mostly-serious man's man 007. Then he is replaced by a clown, then a serious 007 takes over. He is then replaced by a semi-serious pretty guy and then with a bitter, angry somewhat homely short one. It's as if MI-6 keeps hiring totally different agents (after something happening to the previous one) and gives them the 007 number. It cheapens the name, the number and therefore the character.

To me (as, I bet, to the majority of Bond fans) the real movie Bond is Sean Connery and they should have hired actors with similar physicality to him who would emulate his Bond reasonably correctly. I think Lazenby was actually a step in the right direction and too bad it soured right away. Also Brolin might have been a genius pick if he could have handled the English accent.

The Bond actors are cast for the time their films emerge in. Connery could not not have been cast in 1969, Moore could not have started in 1962 and Brosnan would have derailed things in 1983. It is about timings. Fan opinion on actors is all about hindsight and opinion. There is no point slamming one Bond by using subsequent films.

#395 The sniper was a woman

The sniper was a woman

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 06:30 PM

because one actor dons a tux for one barely decent role (THE CROUPIER) does make him a shoe in for Bond.

"Interesting thought"...Clive Owen in The International, I'll sleep when I'm dead, Duplicity...etc etc This guy has had "few" opportunities to showing us his talent as an actor, don't you think ?
The fact you don't like him doesn't mean he's not a good actor for being OO7.

#396 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 06:47 PM

The fact you don't like him doesn't mean he's not a good actor for being OO7.

Did I say I didn't like him in this instance?

And the fact that some still harp on about Owen because they like him does not mean he could be a candidate.

I suggested that some savvy casting avoided circling his CV. By savvy I mean that Eon HQ did not cast him - let alone circle his name - as his casting would have been very wrong. There are such thing as screen presence, poise, audience likeability...things Clive Owen does not have (as part of his acting cache) to fill the part of James Bond 007. Being British, the right age and in the tabloids sporting designer togs is not how Bond films find their leading man (not now anyway).

#397 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 06:52 PM

Posted Image
Far too effeminate.

He has had a daughter who is a famous "bounty hunter"...Too effeminate ?

Domino Harvey was less feminine than her dad.

Again, looking cruel and acting it are two different things.

#398 The sniper was a woman

The sniper was a woman

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 07:01 PM

Come on ! Everything is just acting ! Daniel Craig or Sean Connery have never killed someone !... :rolleyes:

Edited by The sniper was a woman, 28 December 2010 - 07:02 PM.

#399 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 07:05 PM

Come on ! Everything is just acting ! Daniel Craig or Sean Connery have never killed someone !... :rolleyes:

But they acted like they could, and also looked like they could. Which is more than Lawrence Harvey, IMHO.

#400 Jack Rapace

Jack Rapace

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 68 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 07:10 PM

But they acted like they could, and also looked like they could. Which is more than Lawrence Harvey, IMHO.

It's supposed to be an argumentation ? :rolleyes: TSWAW is right. It's just ACTING ! When Craig had played an homosexual, you mean he looks like an homosexual ? :rolleyes:

#401 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 08:09 PM

It's supposed to be an argumentation ? :rolleyes: TSWAW is right. It's just ACTING ! When Craig had played an homosexual, you mean he looks like an homosexual ? :rolleyes:

You're not making any sense. Listen to yourself.

What I have in this case is an opinion, not an argument. I don't believe Lawrence Harvey could play a convincingly tough, likeable, red blooded male character, from the films I've seen him in. That's all.

#402 Frankie

Frankie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 09:15 PM

And what do I think about Huntley? who's Huntley? Refresh my memory.

Noah Huntley

Born: 7 September 1974, West Sussex, England, UK

Height: 6'1"

A bit of an unknown (new Bond actor criteria. His next role is in the James Franco/Natalie Portman movie "Your Highness" coming out in a few months. He plays the Head Knight there.)

I had posted a good pick of him earlier this thread but foe the life of me I can't find it. Here's some others I found of him.:

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

and here are some other pics that the board is not allowing me to post as images. Use a little imagination and give him a Bond haircut in your mind:

http://www.fashionmo...=1303&counter=8
http://www.fashionmo...=1303&counter=1
http://www.fashionmo...=1303&counter=2

Posted Image

It's the older subject of all I know but sometimes I think about it, with regrets.
You don't need to give me a "minus" for that, it's just a remembrance of old times...

I don't disagree with that. He actually looks better and more Connery-like than that picture.

Far too effeminate.

WHAT?!!!!!!!

If I hadn't seen Connery's Bond Laurence Harvey would have been my first choice bar none. I only used his example to show that the Broccoli and Saltzman, knowing about Harvey, went with against the book discription as if on purpose.

GREAT POST.

Edited by Frankie, 28 December 2010 - 09:23 PM.

#403 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 09:50 PM

Noah Huntley

A bit of an unknown (new Bond actor criteria. His next role is in the James Franco/Natalie Portman movie "Your Highness" coming out in a few months. He plays the Head Knight there.)

I had posted a good pick of him earlier this thread but foe the life of me I can't find it. Here's some others I found of him.:

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

and here are some other pics that the board is not allowing me to post as images. Use a little imagination and give him a Bond haircut in your mind:

http://www.fashionmo...=1303&counter=8
http://www.fashionmo...=1303&counter=1
http://www.fashionmo...=1303&counter=2

Posted Image

I don't disagree with that. He actually looks better and more Connery-like than that picture.

Far too effeminate.

WHAT?!!!!!!!

If I hadn't seen Connery's Bond Laurence Harvey would have been my first choice bar none. I only used his example to show that the Broccoli and Saltzman, knowing about Harvey, went with against the book discription as if on purpose.

GREAT POST.

Noah Huntley? I haven't seen him any movies so I can't judge him yet but he seems just a little too big for the for the role. Sean Connery was a big guy, but was perfect for the role. This guy looks like he should be in his own action movie and not Bond.

#404 Frankie

Frankie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 11:10 PM

Noah Huntley? I haven't seen him any movies so I can't judge him yet but he seems just a little too big for the for the role. Sean Connery was a big guy, but was perfect for the role. This guy looks like he should be in his own action movie and not Bond.

Connery was 6'2". Huntley is 6'1". Another one of my Bond actor criteria (for whatever reason) is that they should also look natural in Medieval themed, or sword and sandal movies. I take it as a good sign that Huntley has the role of the Head Knight in the upcoming medieval comedy "Your Highness."

#405 007Bond007

007Bond007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 301 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 11:24 PM

I think the next Bond should go back to black hair.

#406 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 11:42 PM

Connery was 6'2". Huntley is 6'1". Another one of my Bond actor criteria (for whatever reason) is that they should also look natural in Medieval themed, or sword and sandal movies. I take it as a good sign that Huntley has the role of the Head Knight in the upcoming medieval comedy "Your Highness."

"that they should also look natural in Medieval themed, or sword and sandal movies."

That's just ridiculous.

that's why Cavill is my top choice, but not just for hair color. Nice Sig too I must say.

#407 Frankie

Frankie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 11:49 PM

I agree. But hair color is something that could be applied for the role. Huntley, whom I'm proposing, is a bit light colored. But thank God for 'JUST FOR MEN.'

"that they should also look natural in Medieval themed, or sword and sandal movies."

That's just ridiculous.

That's my own personal gauge, but why is it ridiculous? Part of the looking naturally debonair is to look debonair in all eras. After all, Bond is a modern Royal Knight. Connery, Moore, and Dalton passed that test. Lezenby and Brosnan, I have never seen in any historic costume role, but I bet they would have passed. I'm not sure if Craig would.

#408 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 11:54 PM

I agree. But hair color is something that could be applied for the role. Huntley, whom I'm proposing, is a bit light colored. But thank God for 'JUST FOR MEN.'

That's just ridiculous.

That's my own personal gauge, but why is it ridiculous? Part of the looking naturally debonair is to look debonair in all eras. After all, Bond is a modern Royal Knight. Connery, Moore, and Dalton passed that test. Lezenby and Brosnan, I have never seen in any historic costume role, but I bet they would have passed. I'm not sure if Craig would.

Just For Men is to color away gray hairs, So Huntley's hair color is okay, but im not jumping up and down for the guy.

#409 Frankie

Frankie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:16 AM

Just For Men is to color away gray hairs, So Huntley's hair color is okay, but im not jumping up and down for the guy.

Of course not. That would be kinda,... you know,.... unmanly. ;)

#410 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 07:42 AM

Of course not. That would be kinda,... you know,.... unmanly. ;)

Good, knowing we are on the same page somewhat...

#411 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 10:12 AM

That's just ridiculous.

Well, if you're that desperate to find out you can always rent A Kid in King Arthur's Court

And Your Highness has the worst trailer I've seen since, well since Gulliver's Travels, but that aside it's the worst trailer I've seen in a long time.

This guy looks like a cheesy "beefcake" type to me from the photos, but I guess we'll see

#412 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:15 PM

Noah Huntley

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

Not remotely suitable for Bond!

Why are people casting Bond based on height, the colour of their hair and the last TV show or film they have seen someone be a bit sauve in?!!

Thank God Eon HQ is not using CBn for its casting decisions anytime soon!

#413 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 12:51 PM

Why are people casting Bond based on height, the colour of their hair and the last TV show or film they have seen someone be a bit sauve in?!!

If only they were. Nowadays, it seems that the trend in Bond fandom is casting the next 007 based mostly on muscle development.

I strongly suspect that the next James Bond - if there is a next James Bond - will be (just as Craig was) a somewhat "left field" choice who will turn out to have been almost entirely unmentioned in fandom. Still, I'm sure we're in for a few more years of people excitedly tipping male models with colossal biceps and foppish twentysomethings who wore dinner jackets in DOWNTON ABBEY.

#414 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 01:05 PM

Heavily agreed Loomis.

As I have said elsewhere, it staggers me that folk immerse themselves so much in Bond then get their fantasy 007 casting choices so very very wrong.

#415 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 03:49 PM

Thank God Eon HQ is not using CBn for its casting decisions anytime soon!

:tup:

However it could be argued that MGM/EON did base its casting of Pierce Brosnan as Bond off what the public wanted.

#416 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 04:37 PM

However it could be argued that MGM/EON did base its casting of Pierce Brosnan as Bond off what the public wanted.

Or the fact that he had been on the Broccoli radar for over ten years (and not just via REMINGTON STEELE)? I wouldn't call it a "public casting".

#417 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 08:40 PM

Kenny Baker.

#418 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 09:10 PM

So he's playing a character that doesn't even get a name in some low-rent looking Danny McBride comedy? WOW, first Holby City and now this? There's no stopping the megastar that is Noah Huntley! Somebody call EON right NOW, because we need to get rid of this Craig nobody who's off doing some rubbish with losers like Spielberg and Fincher, and lock Huntley into an 8 picture contract while he's so RED HOT and all.

#419 Frankie

Frankie

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 11:14 PM

So he's playing a character that doesn't even get a name in some low-rent looking Danny McBride comedy? WOW, first Holby City and now this? There's no stopping the megastar that is Noah Huntley! Somebody call EON right NOW, because we need to get rid of this Craig nobody who's off doing some rubbish with losers like Spielberg and Fincher, and lock Huntley into an 8 picture contract while he's so RED HOT and all.

I have to laugh at you guys who think a Bond actor needs to be a Shakespearean thespian. All he has to do is look good in a tuxedo, have a decent speaking voice, be able to sell action scenes, and have 'some' acting talent. WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU GUYS?!!.... Connery's best acting was NOT his Bond movies, AND he was an unknown when he was first chosen for the role. Moore has never been known as a great actor, yet he was a great Saint and would have been a pretty good Bond had he not clowned it up! Brosnan has never been nominated for an Oscar, and Lazenby was a male model whom, in retrospect, enjoys the majority opinion for having been a decent Bond in his one appearance.

In fact the only previous bond actor with strong formal acting background was Dalton, whom the majority of posters here hate (BTW, Dalton is my 2nd favorite Bond).

You guys need to get down from that high horse and walk with the rest of us.

SHEESH!!!

#420 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 12:26 AM

Kenny Baker.

Far too tall.