This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Adele's Skyfall (POLL ADDED)

2673 replies to this topic

Poll: Adele's Skyfall (POLL ADDED) (305 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think of Adeles 'Skyfall'?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#2431 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:57 PM

Fairly incredibly, the song is already number 1 in iTunes Charts in an astonishing 40 countries!

#2432 PPK_19

PPK_19

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:00 PM

Fairly incredibly, the song is already number 1 in iTunes Charts in an astonishing 40 countries!

It hasn't even been released for 24 hours yet, Gordon Bennett! Adele's star power+James Bond= World Domination. Total and complete World Wide domination...

#2433 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:09 PM

Where do you find iTunes charts? I searched earlier and found some top 10s with no mention of Skyfall; I looked just now and it's at number 2 behind Taylor Swift.

https://www.apple.co...s/charts/songs/

#2434 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:21 PM

I see it at number one ahead of Red. The chart is on the right hand side of the itunes store.

#2435 MrKidd

MrKidd

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 328 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:46 PM

Did any of you seriously think it was going to be a rock song as soon as Adele was announced?

I thought it was at least gonna have some life to it.

So do you think Sheena Easton's FYEO has no life, or MR?

That's besides the point. I wanted to hear an Adele song, and I got Adele singing a generic Bond song.

Errrrr, well buy her next solo album then. What we’ve ACTUALLY been waiting for is the new Bond theme which, this time, is sung by Adele. And this fits the bill perfectly. Will look awesome over the title sequence. And I should know because I know these things.

#2436 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:59 PM

Where do you find iTunes charts? I searched earlier and found some top 10s with no mention of Skyfall; I looked just now and it's at number 2 behind Taylor Swift.

https://www.apple.co...s/charts/songs/

These are the statistics I saw: http://kworb.net/itunes/adele.html

Perhaps some are updating quicker than others.

#2437 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:22 PM

It hasn't even been released for 24 hours yet, Gordon Bennett! Adele's star power+James Bond= World Domination. Total and complete World Wide domination...

#1 across Europe, apparently. Who cares that the UK scores next to "nul points" at Eurovision when we've got a very successful Bond track!

#2438 Messervy

Messervy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1369 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:06 PM

For now, after having listened to it various times, I would say "not too bad". But it's slowly growing on me. I think it'll end up with "up there with the greats".
Anyway, definitely 100 times better than the preliminary draft of an incentive try that was QoS's main title song...

#2439 hcmv007

hcmv007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2310 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:36 PM

Having finally heard the whole song, I like it. Wondering how it will look in the credit sequence.

#2440 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:45 PM

On the radio tonight Xfm were having a Bond theme shootout: I heard TWINE vs Another Way To Die put to the vote and the listeners went for AWTD (only about three votes for TWINE, apparently), and after listening to Skyfall on my ipod I've got to say that AWTD just sounded fresher and more interesting, and definitely more powerful. Skyfall's decent but I think AWTD is the better work, frankly.

#2441 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:56 PM

On the radio tonight Xfm were having a Bond theme shootout: I heard TWINE vs Another Way To Die put to the vote and the listeners went for AWTD (only about three votes for TWINE, apparently), and after listening to Skyfall on my ipod I've got to say that AWTD just sounded fresher and more interesting, and definitely more powerful.

I feel the same way with SF vs DAD. I'd never thought I'd say this, but I really dug Madge's song after listening to it this afternoon. Everything that Skyfall isn't. Contemporary, innovative, fun, witty, unpredictable and edgy as [censored].

"I'm gonna avoid the cliche."

None of Skyfall's lyrics hit the nail on the head as squarely as that one line.

Love the late Michel Colombier's string writing.

#2442 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:59 PM

It's not shy with the orchestration layers, that's for sure. Thicker than Oddjob's neck. Not the most adventurous writing, but sufficienty Bond, and Adele does bring it all home. I like it!

#2443 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:02 PM

On the radio tonight Xfm were having a Bond theme shootout: I heard TWINE vs Another Way To Die put to the vote and the listeners went for AWTD (only about three votes for TWINE, apparently), and after listening to Skyfall on my ipod I've got to say that AWTD just sounded fresher and more interesting, and definitely more powerful.

I feel the same way with SF vs DAD. I'd never thought I'd say this, but I really dug Madge's song after listening to it this afternoon. Everything that Skyfall isn't. Contemporary, innovative, fun, witty, unpredictable and edgy as [censored].

"I'm gonna avoid the cliche."

None of Skyfall's lyrics hit the nail on the head as squarely as that one line.

Love the late Michel Colombier's string writing.

I'm actually agreed with most of that. It was disappointing in the sense that such an odd song was attached to a meaningful Bond 20 / 40th anniversary film, but the tune itself isn't terrible. I've always found it catchy - definitely enjoyed the string part, as well. Dare I say it, hum-able.

I've never understood the lyrical hypocrisy, though, of vocally intending to 'avoid the cliche' and then having 60% of the words be an almost parody-like repetition of the film's title. The sentiment seems to start with "I'm not going to be Shirley Bassey and Don Black," and then, "But I'll make fun of them by being almost exactly Shirley Bassey and Don Black."

#2444 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:05 PM

"But I'll make fun of them by being almost exactly Shirley Bassey and Don Black."

Bassey and Black didn't patent the idea of repeating a song's title again and again.

It works as a Bond anniversary song, because it represents the ever changing nature of the series, the refusal to be complacent, and the fact that nearly all of the "classic" Bond songs were of their time, rarely looking back. In Cubby's words - "two minutes into the future."

#2445 Aris007

Aris007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3037 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:08 PM

Music's good. That's for starters. Now, the lyrics are not so innovative and inspiring as one might have expected. In general a nice tune, but not as modern as Craig's era likes to be.

#2446 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:18 PM

"But I'll make fun of them by being almost exactly Shirley Bassey and Don Black."

Bassey and Black didn't patent the idea of repeating a song's title again and again.

It works as a Bond anniversary song, because it represents the ever changing nature of the series, the refusal to be complacent, and the fact that nearly all of the "classic" Bond songs were of their time, rarely looking back. In Cubby's words - "two minutes into the future."

Valid point. But while Bassey and Black didn't patent the idea, do we not come away with the same impression that Madge is mocking their specific use of it? What other intention would she have in belabouring the phrase the way she does?

#2447 The Shark

The Shark

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4650 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:29 PM

Valid point. But while Bassey and Black didn't patent the idea, do we not come away with the same impression that Madge is mocking their specific use of it? What other intention would she have in belabouring the phrase the way she does?

Because the song's meant to be like a chant or some kind of meditative trance as Bond is being tortured. "I'm gonna close my body now."

#2448 PPK_19

PPK_19

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1312 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:34 PM

Having listened to the song multiple times now i realise the lyrics really are a pile of [censored], barring a couple of lines.
Great orchestra, use of Bond theme and vocals though.

#2449 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:38 PM

Having listened to the song multiple times now i realise the lyrics really are a pile of [censored], barring a couple of lines.

They are that, yeah! There's not much poetry to repeating 'this is the end' only twice; it's just a bit clumsy. And the 'when it crumbles' line really does stick out. 'Crumbles' ain't an elegant word no matter how you look at it!

#2450 Hockey Mask

Hockey Mask

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1027 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:47 PM

I like everything about it. Mostly the publicity that Skyfall will reap from Adele's popularity.

Some of you almost had me convinced that this was a poor song until I heard you anchoring you're argument with AWTD. It is a fine song but c'mon.

Edited by 00Hockey Mask, 05 October 2012 - 07:48 PM.

#2451 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:47 PM

"Hold your breath and count to 10" is interesting. I'm trying, but as soon as I start counting, I find I'm no longer holding my breath. I'm thinking it might be a trick.

#2452 MattofSteel

MattofSteel

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2482 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:09 PM

Because the song's meant to be like a chant or some kind of meditative trance as Bond is being tortured. "I'm gonna close my body now."

I can buy that interpretation. Fair enough.

#2453 Nicolas Suszczyk

Nicolas Suszczyk

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3735 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:42 PM

http://imageshack.us...eleskyfall.jpg/

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Love it now!

#2454 Matt_13

Matt_13

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5969 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:48 PM

They are that, yeah! There's not much poetry to repeating 'this is the end' only twice; it's just a bit clumsy. And the 'when it crumbles' line really does stick out. 'Crumbles' ain't an elegant word no matter how you look at it!

" Such a cold finger" isn't a great line either, but it works.

#2455 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:17 PM

A cold finger beckoning someone into a world of sin is quite a good line, I'd say.

#2456 Miles Miservy

Miles Miservy

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:21 PM

From the get-go, I'd suggested that SKYFALL's theme song, being that it depicts the 50th anniversary of the 1st OO7 adventure, should be performed by none other than Shirley Bassey. She is, after all, a legend in the OO7 community (musically speaking). I think what we have now is as close as we can get.

I was a little apprehensive at first when it was announced that Adele was to be the performing artist. I mean she's ok... not exactly my 1st choice; better than most, to be fair.

But once I heard it, all bets were off. It's PERFECT. It struck me as a song that, very well, could have been written for Shirley Bassey. I was taken back to the days of GOLDFINGER, THUNDERBALL & DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER.

If this is what Daniel Craig meant when he said SKYFALL was going to be a "Classic Bond" picture. I think I'm looking forward to it even more than I was this morning.

#2457 x007AceOfSpades

x007AceOfSpades

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:23 PM

Do I love the lyrics? Come to think about it, they are kinda shoddy.

#2458 Baccarat

Baccarat

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 84 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:59 PM

Bland lyrics. Slightly interesting musically. Dull overall. This is Bond for goodness sake. And at 50. Where is the drama of GF? The swagger of TB? The thrill of LALD?

#2459 JazzyBond

JazzyBond

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 76 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:44 PM

I feel everything you mentioned is in Skyfall. Everyone has options but I feel it's very contemporary while still having a retro vibe. Tough to do. The song is already number 1 on ITunes in 40 countries in just a day! Amazing! Also, amazing publicity for the film which I'm assuming we all want to do very well.

#2460 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:23 AM

Bland lyrics. Slightly interesting musically. Dull overall. This is Bond for goodness sake. And at 50. Where is the drama of GF? The swagger of TB? The thrill of LALD?

Agreed on the lyrics.

This is definitely one of the lesser Bond title tracks. From subpar lyrics (does a word as awkward to sing as "crumbles" really need to appear so many times?), to uninspired instrumental work, "Skyfall" is just lacking in almost every department. Plus, and I'm sure this has already been discussed quite a bit, what's up with that horrible background chanting from the second chorus onward?