188 replies to this topic

#31 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 03:23 PM

And "non-action" means nothing. Bond directors do not have to be action directors as Terence Young, Lewis Gilbert and John Glen will testify.

Yes, I certainly enjoyed John Glen's sumptuous period drama Aces: Iron Eagle III :)

Which came out after he had finished directing Bond I believe.

DANNY BOYLE??!!! I'M SOOO EXCITED!!!

I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!!! BOND 23rd...HERE.WE.COME!!!!

Think it's true? 28 DAYS LATER is one of my faves. I'll take that end of the world over Curaon's CHILDREN OF MEN.

I've got SUNSHINE a few clicks down the Netflix queue. Anyone seen it yet? Will I be pleased?

It's half good. A quarter lazy. And a quarter "what the :(?". Unfortunately its biggest plot surprise in the last act is sort of its laziest touch. But it's well made and well cast (I think Michelle Yeoh is in it - and Mark Strong). And it's not half as dreary as SOLARIS.

#32 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 03:34 PM

Think it's true? 28 DAYS LATER is one of my faves. I'll take that end of the world over Curaon's CHILDREN OF MEN.

I've got SUNSHINE a few clicks down the Netflix queue. Anyone seen it yet? Will I be pleased?

Your mood swings are beginning to worry me. :(

#33 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 03:46 PM

I'd be fine with it I'm suprised the Sun didn't say bond 23 was Risico as welll :(.

Untrue yes.

But finnaly a rumour to debate I've been waiting for one of these.

#34 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 03:48 PM

Your mood swings are beginning to worry me. ;)

MOOD SWINGS?! WHAT :(ING MOOD SWINGS??!!?

:) YOU, YOU DESPICIBLE BITCH! :) YOU AND THAT HORSE YOU…

awww Santa. I luuuuuuuv you.

#35 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 03:51 PM

Ok so director rumours have begun quick question when are title rumours gonna come in? and when will sean connery be cast as M, Bond's Dad and the head of Quantum? And what is Al pachino and the olsen twins take on all this :(

#36 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 03:53 PM

I'd be fine with it I'm suprised the Sun didn't say bond 23 was Risico as welll :(.

Untrue yes.

But finnaly a rumour to debate I've been waiting for one of these.

RISICO BELOW ICE starring Frido Pinto, Gulshan Grover and Jennifer Aniston as the half sister of Vesper and Camille. With a title tune sung by Etta James.

#37 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 04:04 PM

honeslty Zorin if (and this a GIANT IF) The Boyle Rumour is true the new york rumour is true and Jennifer aniston is the bond girl we're up for an interesting bond film. One I might be excited to see. toss the property of a lady as the title and i'd be interested.

but once again we're talking about a globe size if however Never say Never again.

#38 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 04:11 PM

honeslty Zorin if (and this a GIANT IF) The Boyle Rumour is true the new york rumour is true and Jennifer aniston is the bond girl we're up for an interesting bond film. One I might be excited to see. toss the property of a lady as the title and i'd be interested.

but once again we're talking about a globe size if however Never say Never again.

I do actually agree with you here. That Aniston non-story yesterday (MARLEY AND ME needs all the press it can get) whilst not holding a grain of anything, did strike me as something that would work very well.... a New Yorker Bond Woman...? That'd do me. Aniston is a good solid actress. Forget FRIENDS and the rom-coms. There is a classy actress in there and one who could easily bring a new spin on things. We've certainly done the fragile Euro-starlets for a while....

I've heard another title "rumour". But let's just see.

#39 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 04:12 PM

No Bond For Boyle

3 March 2009 4:00 AM, PST

British director Danny Boyle will not take the helm of the next James Bond movie - despite insisting he's a huge fan of the 007 franchise.

The acclaimed moviemaker was reportedly approached by Bond bosses to direct the upcoming sequel to last year's Quantum of Solace after he swept the board at February's Oscars with Slumdog Millionaire.

A source told Britain's The Sun newspaper, "He has been offered the chance to direct the 23rd Bond film by (Bond producer) Barbara (Broccoli). Everyone on the Eon team thinks Danny would be the perfect addition to the Bond family."

However, despite the modest filmmaker insisting he is "flattered" to be linked with the Bond brand - he has no plans to direct the next movie.

A spokeswoman tells WENN, "While Danny says he always has and always will enjoy the Bond movies he has no plans to direct one. Danny is naturally flattered to be thought of!"

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni0696687/

#40 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 04:13 PM

And "non-action" means nothing. Bond directors do not have to be action directors as Terence Young, Lewis Gilbert and John Glen will testify.

Yes, I certainly enjoyed John Glen's sumptuous period drama Aces: Iron Eagle III :(

T'was only a joke (though admittedly a feeble one). That said I can't find anything on Glen's directing filmography which could not be classed as an action film. Not that I am suggesting Bond directors have to/should be "action directors" you understand.

#41 Conlazmoodalbrocra

Conlazmoodalbrocra

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3546 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 04:15 PM

Yes, I certainly enjoyed John Glen's sumptuous period drama Aces: Iron Eagle III :(

T'was only a joke (though admittedly a feeble one). That said I can't find anything on Glen's directing filmography which could not be classed as an action film. Not that I am suggesting Bond directors have to/should be "action directors" you understand.

I was never suggesting that Bond directors have to be exclusively action-minded in the first place, but I am of the opinion that a newcomer to such a genre would have a harder time adapting than someone who's done an action film before.

#42 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 04:21 PM

A source told Britain's The Sun newspaper, "He has been offered the chance to direct the 23rd Bond film by (Bond producer) Barbara (Broccoli). Everyone on the Eon team thinks Danny would be the perfect addition to the Bond family."

This 'Bond family' stuff gives me the willies.

#43 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 04:22 PM

No Bond For Boyle

3 March 2009 4:00 AM, PST

British director Danny Boyle will not take the helm of the next James Bond movie - despite insisting he's a huge fan of the 007 franchise.

The acclaimed moviemaker was reportedly approached by Bond bosses to direct the upcoming sequel to last year's Quantum of Solace after he swept the board at February's Oscars with Slumdog Millionaire.

However, despite the modest filmmaker insisting he is "flattered" to be linked with the Bond brand - he has no plans to direct the next movie.

A spokeswoman tells WENN, "While Danny says he always has and always will enjoy the Bond movies he has no plans to direct one. Danny is naturally flattered to be thought of!"

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni0696687/

And so kills the suns only bond rumour for the week tune in next week for "Nolan Chris nolan has Chris turned in pointy ears for an aston martin"

:(

#44 Nicolas Suszczyk

Nicolas Suszczyk

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3735 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 04:36 PM

Why don't we return to the "action/thriller/adventure" directors like Campbell or Spottiswoode. I doubt of him. the latest "drama" director we've had (Mr Forster) was awful IMO.

#45 Conlazmoodalbrocra

Conlazmoodalbrocra

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3546 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 04:40 PM

Why don't we return to the "action/thriller/adventure" directors like Campbell or Spottiswoode. I doubt of him. the latest "drama" director we've had (Mr Forster) was awful IMO.

My sentiments exactly Nicolas! :(

#46 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 04:45 PM

lets stay away from Spottiswoode.

#47 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 04:46 PM

Yes. In your opinion. But not everyone else's. Marc Forster was one of the most adept directors the series has been fortunate to have. And time will only prove that more.

And whilst Campbell has made his name in the more action orientated genre, I don't personally feel his films are all that involving. They reek of 1980's camera work, stuntwork and editing. He can be quite a soulless director.

Roger Spottiswoode will never return to a Bond set. Trust me on that one.

Why?

The films are biologically and professionally very much a family product.

#48 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 04:49 PM

Why?

The films are biologically and metaphorically very much a family product.

Just does. I used to work for Showtime and they went on and on about the 'Showtime family' and it gave me the creeps there too. I don't think there's THAT much of a family atmosphere at Eon, nor should there be at work. It's a job, not a family.

#49 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 04:53 PM

Why?

Just does. I used to work for Showtime and they went on and on about the 'Showtime family' and it gave me the creeps there too. I don't think there's THAT much of a family atmosphere at Eon, nor should there be at work. It's a job, not a family.

You are very wrong there.

There is indeed a very large family ethos at play within Eon Productions. It's one of the things that sets them apart from the rest, ensures the privacy factor that is vital to them and helps the end product no end.

It's a job where the "family" ethic is upheld throughout. And is actually equally important to the running, tone and success of the company.

#50 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 04:54 PM

Why?

You are very wrong there. And that comes from personal experience.

There is indeed a very large family ethos at play within Eon Productions. It's one of the things that sets them apart from the rest, ensures the privacy factor that is vital to them and helps the end product no end.

I used to think so too but have heard it's only family when it suits them.

#51 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 04:58 PM

Why?

Just like any family then (?!). My experience of the company has seen the family ethic outplay everything else - including making a profit.

Unfortunately these threads are not the place to explain why and how.

#52 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 05:01 PM

It's a job, not a family.

It's both. It's a "family business".

#53 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 05:04 PM

My experience of the company has seen the family ethic outplay everything else - including making a profit.

Where is the place, then? Or isn't there one?

I mean, this is a Bond fansite - it's not as though we wouldn't be interested. And I'm sure you could tell us more without betraying any confidences or identities. Just give us the gist, why not?

#54 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 05:05 PM

Why?

Just like any family then (?!). My experience of the company has seen the family ethic outplay everything else - including making a profit.

I was thinking the same but didn't want to be too cynical :(. I'm sure you're right, you know far more about it than I do, it's just not something I like, never have. It's a very personal thing.

#55 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 05:08 PM

Boyle would be excellent and probably just the sort of director that the producers will be chasing. I don't see it happening though.

#56 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 05:11 PM

Why?

I was thinking the same but didn't want to be too cynical :(. I'm sure you're right, you know far more about it than I do, it's just not something I like, never have. It's a very personal thing.

Fair enough.

I will add though that there is a generosity in that stable that is not only rare in the movie business it is actually quite rare in all walks of life these days.

#57 Scrambled Eggs

Scrambled Eggs

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 05:18 PM

Surprising! I didn't think of him as a Bond director, but I tend to find all the last decisions of Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson to be pure genius, so why not! :(
Slumdog Millionaire is top notch, but The Beach was crap as far as I remember (maybe because of the script rather than the direction, though). Actually, I'm not a cinema expert at all, but I wonder what the writers of Slumdog would do with Bond 23... That's something I'd really want to know too.

Anyway, it would be really good to get an oscar-winning British director aboard the Bond franchise :)

I don't think The Beach is that bad. A Life Less Ordinary however, is cringeworthy. As an adolescent who'd loved Shallow Grave and Trainspotting I was blown away with just how twee and dull that film was.

He'd be terrific but I suppose the time to ask him has passed. Any point between The Beach and Slumdog Millionaire I imagine he'd have jumped at the chance to do a Bond movie. Now, I suspect he won't be short of suitors.

#58 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 05:22 PM

I was never suggesting that Bond directors have to be exclusively action-minded in the first place, but I am of the opinion that a newcomer to such a genre would have a harder time adapting than someone who's done an action film before.

I know, I just didn't want to be accused of it myself :(

I will add though that there is a generosity in that stable that is not only rare in the movie business it is actually quite rare in all walks of life these days.

Bleak.

#59 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 05:23 PM

He would be great. But this isn't going to happen. I mean, get real. The guy can do anything he wants. He not going to do the 23rd James Bond movie where he will be creatively constrained, won't get a percentage, and will not have final cut. When you win the Lottery, you don't trade the winnings in for a new Lottery ticket. Pre Oscar sweep...yes, maybe he would do one. But now? The idea is laughable.

#60 tim partridge

tim partridge

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 05:35 PM

lets stay away from Spottiswoode.

I'd rather have Boyle (or my friend's two guinea pigs) direct Bond over Spotiswoode. What a mistake TND was (and Boyle would have been ripe for Bond instead of making the mistake Life Less Ordinary). Those rumours of Peter Medak- oh what a wasted opportunity. Lewis Gilbert was still making films then, too.

FWIW, Terence Young had directed action films prior to Bond (three of which were co-produced by Albert R Brocolli)- John Glen had only directed action dominated second unit sequences for action movies prior to FYEO (and imdb also lists an episode of an ITC spy show in the 60s). Both directors, by the time of Bond, were heavily associated with action filmmaking probably more than anything else. That's a world apart from Lewis Gilbert (or Guy Hamilton, Michael Apted and Marc Forster) who were highly reputable over virtually every genre of film.

At the least, Eon could at least nab one of Boyle's designers for Bond 23, if Dennis Gassner doesn't get to return. I would love for the stylised art direction that returned in QOS to stay with the series again (the way it used to be in the 60s and 70s).