Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 372 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 10:05 AM

Now on the CBn main page...

Posted Image
The Sun says 'Slumdog Millionaire' director being pursued by Barbara Broccoli

'I enjoy the Bond movies, always have and always will, but I have no plans to direct one.'

The Names Boyle - Danny Boyle

Artical in the Sun newspaper today linking Danny Boyle with the directors job in Bond 23.

Thoughts?

#2 HellIsHere

HellIsHere

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 310 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 10:07 AM

Could be terrific.

#3 Cabainus

Cabainus

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 372 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 10:11 AM

Yes I agree. Im a big fan of Danny Boyle, and think he could bring something a bit different to the table.

#4 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 10:16 AM

They could do a lot worse but I would imagine Danny Boyle would - if at all asked - politely decline. Time will tell. But he's certainly the right mould.

#5 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 10:22 AM

Surprising! I didn't think of him as a Bond director, but I tend to find all the last decisions of Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson to be pure genius, so why not! :(
Slumdog Millionaire is top notch, but The Beach was crap as far as I remember (maybe because of the script rather than the direction, though). Actually, I'm not a cinema expert at all, but I wonder what the writers of Slumdog would do with Bond 23... That's something I'd really want to know too.

Anyway, it would be really good to get an oscar-winning British director aboard the Bond franchise :)

#6 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 10:25 AM

Surprising! I didn't think of him as a Bond director, but I tend to find all the last decisions of Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson to be pure genius, so why not! :(
Slumdog Millionaire is top notch, but The Beach was crap as far as I remember (maybe because of the script rather than the direction, though). Actually, I'm not a cinema expert at all, but I wonder what the writers of Slumdog would do with Bond 23... That's something I'd really want to know too.

Anyway, it would be really good to get an oscar-winning British director aboard the Bond franchise :)

The writer of SLUMDOG should not be given the Bond gig. He has penned some right tiring films as well as THE FULL MONTY and AMONGST GIANTS - which are good. Until the Oscar he has written a lot of worth, soul-searching indie fare that no-one has seen (sometimes for good reason).

THE BEACH is an oddly dire film. But if the man who made TRAINSPOTTING got hold of Bond the results could be magnificent.

WARNING - DANNY BOYLE WOULD USE FAST CUTS AND THAT CRAZY MODERN FILM MAKING NOTION OF LETTING THE AUDIENCE FILL IN THE GAPS WHICH COULD RESULT IN THE SOLACE EFFECT - I.E. SOME FANS WILL BE CRYING INTO THEIR J20 MARTINIS ONCE AGAIN... and I can't wait!

#7 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 10:26 AM

He'd be a great choice, but I can't see him doing Bond at this point in his career. Who knows, though? The 007 in-jokes in TRAINSPOTTING might seem to indicate that he's a Bond fan (but then again, isn't everyone?).

#8 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 10:29 AM

The 007 in-jokes in TRAINSPOTTING might seem to indicate that he's a Bond fan (but then again, isn't everyone?).

That was the writer, John Hodge.

#9 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 10:32 AM

I was also thinking of Damon Albarn's song over the closing credits. Now, again, that's not, strictly speaking, Boyle's work, but given that he directed the film I presume that he "okayed" it.

In any case, I'm not saying that Boyle is a Bond fan. I've no idea what he likes or dislikes. Just conjecturing.

And even if he happened to be a massive Bond fan, it does not, of course, follow that he'd wish to direct a Bond film.

#10 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 10:36 AM

Not sure what to think really, his filmography is so wildly uneven that its impossible to say what kind of Bond movie he'd do. I like Sunshine though. Shrug.

#11 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 11:09 AM

He definitely would be capable of doing a fresh-looking, dynamic movie. AND it would be a major coup for EON to land this year´s Oscar winner.

Also, he is British. And Daniel Craig would certainly get along with him.

#12 scaramangled

scaramangled

Recruit

• Crew
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 11:22 AM

As sure as night follows day this is BS

theres no way Eon would bring in an oscar winning director- 1 - because he'd cost too much and two because Barbara and "G" have an iron grip over every element of production on the film - and they seem to have given enough control away already to Daniel C.

How many times over the years has an A list director been put in the frame (most memorably Senior Spielberg) only to be replaced by a more controllable B lister - more a patsy who would be averse to fighting the producers all day long for his particular vision (Peter Hunt, John Glen, Apted, Tamohori anyone?)

This is yet another Sun special to shift a few more papers or get abit more ad revenue from a particular quarter (ours)

ps - long time lurker first time poster - hello :(

#13 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 11:35 AM

theres no way Eon would bring in an oscar winning director- 1 - because he'd cost too much and two because Barbara and "G" have an iron grip over every element of production on the film - and they seem to have given enough control away already to Daniel C.

How many times over the years has an A list director been put in the frame (most memorably Senior Spielberg) only to be replaced by a more controllable B lister - more a patsy who would be averse to fighting the producers all day long for his particular vision (Peter Hunt, John Glen, Apted, Tamohori anyone?)

This is yet another Sun special to shift a few more papers or get abit more ad revenue from a particular quarter (ours)

A few points of admin...

Spielberg has never been in the frame to direct a Bond film. A STAR WARS yes, but not a Bond film.

Secondly, Danny Boyle is EXACTLY the sort of director Eon Productions wants to nab now. He is most certainly one of the best directors who could easily work within their new "house style" and ethos. And good directors (and Boyle is nothing if not versatile - MILLIONAIRE, MILLIONS, 28 DAYS LATER, SUNSHINE, THE BEACH....) are able to adapt to the project in hand.

Thirdly, Daniel Craig has not been given "control". He has been allowed input. There is a difference.

Fourthly, I agree. It is most definitely a Sun story with little to no substance (their next one will be telling the world that Frido Pinto is the new 007 squeeze).

Fifthly - hello and welcome to CBN.

#14 pgram

pgram

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 11:40 AM

Probably agree with you (welcome, by the way), it is more than just highly unlikely, but I have to say that I did think of Boyle directing Bond during the chase in the slums sequence. The reason was that it was very fast, hand-camera work. Reminded me of QoS a bit, but then I thought: this is how it should be done! Very fast and shaky, but still very clear story telling, you could tell exactly what was going on, where and so on. Unlike QoS.

So, even though this probably tabloid crap, I 'd definitely wouldn't mind seeing mr Boyle at the helm. Not because of the Oscar. Because he 's an exceptional film-maker

Edited by pgram, 03 March 2009 - 12:13 PM.

#15 baerrtt

baerrtt

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 467 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 12:06 PM

ps - long time lurker first time poster - hello :)

Welcome to CBN as well :(. Say what you want about QOS (and goodness knows the opinions are varied, even in these parts) but despite the mixed reception the fact that the 'controlling' likes of Babs and MGW clearly allowed Marc Forster(who is as much a maverick director as Boyle is) to deviate even further from the standard Bond template makes it plausible that Eon would continue in seeking the kind of directors and writers (Haggis) that would be allowed the freedom to portray the world of James Bond through their eyes. Directors and writers with a specific vision irrespective of what genres they turn their hands to.

Since CR's acclaim (critical and public) they've clearly gotten alot braver with the path they want to take Bond on (QOS is pretty much the proof of that) and with the latter's commercial success (despite the prediction from doomsayers that the public's reaction would match the, mostly negative and baffled, critical one) it's plausible that in this age(to use an example) of Chris 'Memento' Nolan being given the keys to the lucrative Batman franchise and making a film that fits his CV first and not the studio's, they're happy to potentially court further public 'controversy' by allowing the likes of Boyle to give us a vision of Bond that, thematically, fits in the CV of the man who gave us TRAINSPOTTING, 28 DAYS LATER and of course SLUMDOG.

For me personally given the era of Bond we're in where the deviation from formula (to an extent) is more blatant than it was when Dalton was in the role it wouldn't surprise me if we end up with a director for Bond 23 that once again confounds expectations whether it be Boyle or not.

#16 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 12:22 PM

I doubt Boyle would want to direct a Bond film.

Then again, he nearly directed Alien 4 back in the day. So, you never know...

#17 scaramangled

scaramangled

Recruit

• Crew
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 12:26 PM

all very valid points fellas (although i take a slight exception to Zorin's Spielberg opinion - http://www.starpulse...ed_opportunity_

As far as Chris Nolan is concerned - this is very true - Warners really have cut a swayth with film franchising by sticking such a inde director into that particular pot (interesting that nolan has repeatedly vented his desire to make a bond film and justified BMB with it - see here:

"Question: and You’ve said that you’re a big fan of James Bond.

Christopher Nolan: Yeah.

Question: And did you purposely put in some of more of that more secret agenty stuff into this film because of that?

Christopher Nolan: Well, we certainly did in both films. We started it in Batman Begins, and I think the Bond films were a big influence tonally in terms of trying to explain to the studio, you know, if you look at the early Bond films you’ve got extraordinary things happening, but there’s an overall tone you can buy into as a regular action movie. You’re not completely stepping outside the bounds of reality particularly with the earlier films and I think that winds up being pushed even further in this film, partly as a result of not wanting to do everything at night and not wanting to. I mean, if Batman controls the night, in Gotham, than the Joker is much more dangerous in the day, and so the daytime scenes actually become more threatening and more interesting in a way. So you wind up having to deal with, OK, how does Bruce Wayne deal with that during the day as well, so there’s more of that."

But as far as Danny B is concerned - I've been a fan of his since the Shallow Grave days (another another Sun headline of those days had Ewan McGregor up for either bond or bond's *son* I remember - what did that come to? :( but I think he's just too high profile now - yes - all the frenetic stuff looks great - but I think Eon would be wiser to go with a younger, less well established brit director like Shane Meadows....

Ps - I thought alot of those action sequences in QOS utter balls - and I have an idea that the Broccoli's will go for someone abit less quirky for 23...

#18 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 12:34 PM

all very valid points fellas (although i take a slight exception to Zorin's Spielberg opinion - http://www.starpulse...ed_opportunity_

As far as Chris Nolan is concerned - this is very true - Warners really have cut a swayth with film franchising by sticking such a inde director into that particular pot (interesting that nolan has repeatedly vented his desire to make a bond film and justified BMB with it - see here:

"Question: and You’ve said that you’re a big fan of James Bond.

Christopher Nolan: Yeah.

Question: And did you purposely put in some of more of that more secret agenty stuff into this film because of that?

Christopher Nolan: Well, we certainly did in both films. We started it in Batman Begins, and I think the Bond films were a big influence tonally in terms of trying to explain to the studio, you know, if you look at the early Bond films you’ve got extraordinary things happening, but there’s an overall tone you can buy into as a regular action movie. You’re not completely stepping outside the bounds of reality particularly with the earlier films and I think that winds up being pushed even further in this film, partly as a result of not wanting to do everything at night and not wanting to. I mean, if Batman controls the night, in Gotham, than the Joker is much more dangerous in the day, and so the daytime scenes actually become more threatening and more interesting in a way. So you wind up having to deal with, OK, how does Bruce Wayne deal with that during the day as well, so there’s more of that."

But as far as Danny B is concerned - I've been a fan of his since the Shallow Grave days (another another Sun headline of those days had Ewan McGregor up for either bond or bond's *son* I remember - what did that come to? :( but I think he's just too high profile now - yes - all the frenetic stuff looks great - but I think Eon would be wiser to go with a younger, less well established brit director like Shane Meadows....

Ps - I thought alot of those action sequences in QOS utter balls - and I have an idea that the Broccoli's will go for someone abit less quirky for 23...

But Shane Meadows couldn't be more wrong for James Bond. He's a great director (I had to watch bits of SOMERS TOWN only yesterday), but a creative force like Meadows is not going to work within the Bond context, production framework and artistic adaptability.

And I stand by my words... Spielberg has never been asked or considered to direct a Bond film. It has been his wont over the years, not Eon's.

#19 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 12:57 PM

Boyle would certainly be a type of director EON would like at this time (and the timing is right - with a script in the works you'd expect them to want to bag a director early on). Can't read the story as the network at work doesn't allow me to read the Sun (thankfully, I say) - but I tend to be sceptical when it comes to what that rag prints.

It is logical though...

#20 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:29 PM

I call BS for now. It's be nice, but bear in mind that Marc Foster was not announced as the director for QUANTUM OF SOLACE until around the time the press conference that unveiled the title was held, and EON seem to be looking to a 2011 release for BOND 23. If BOND 23 ad QUANTUM OF SOLACE have similar shooting schedules, we probably won't find out until late next year at the earliestas to who will be the director. Hell, if they bump it forward until 2010, we still won' know for another twelve months.

Also, it should be noted that IMdB - that wretched hive and scum and villainry - are the ones reporting it based on a article that appeared in perennial tablod rag and general source of slander The Sun; remember what they did with Amy Winehouse and QUANTUM OF SOLACE filming?

Why is it that everyone pounces on this stuff and tears it apart when it's quite clearly untrue, but as soon as The Sun run something everyone might actually like - ie Boyle, Winehouse - they're willing to forgive all previous tnasgressions and accept it as gospel?

#21 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:31 PM

So are they claiming they've only just become interested in him now that he's won an Oscar? Surprising really (if true), he's been one of the most commercially and critically successful English directors out there since 1995.

A Life Less Ordinary is pish though. With a title song by Ash; ugh!

#22 BoogieBond

BoogieBond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:32 PM

Really like the Idea, like Shallow Grave, Trainspotting, 28 Days later, Sunshine and Slumdog.

Not sure he would want to do it though, he's got the pick of the films now, but if he is, bring it on.
And I agree, he fits the profile, or would have done before Slumdog. Not too big(like Speilberg) but got a good CV behind him ala Forster. If EON are keen on him, then they are going in the right direction.

I suppose The Sun quoted "An insider said", or "A close Friend"
Who are these people ? figments of Sun Journo's imagination ?

Edited by BoogieBond, 03 March 2009 - 01:58 PM.

#23 Conlazmoodalbrocra

Conlazmoodalbrocra

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3546 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:56 PM

I'm unsure. They could do a lot worse, but I would prefer a seasoned actrion director to take the job. We all saw what happened when a non-action director like Marc Forster takes up the job - disaster!

#24 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 02:09 PM

Fortunately, Boyle's people have dismissed the Sun newspaper's rumour as being just that - a Sun newspaper rumour.

Next....!

I'm unsure. They could do a lot worse, but I would prefer a seasoned actrion director to take the job. We all saw what happened when a non-action director like Marc Forster takes up the job - disaster!

That is your opinion. The world's box offices and quite a few more wider minded cineastes think otherwise...

And "non-action" means nothing. Bond directors do not have to be action directors as Terence Young, Lewis Gilbert and John Glen will testify.

#25 crheath

crheath

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 02:23 PM

I just read a more updated article that he said he's not interested.

#26 Conlazmoodalbrocra

Conlazmoodalbrocra

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3546 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 02:25 PM

Fortunately, Boyle's people have dismissed the Sun newspaper's rumour as being just that - a Sun newspaper rumour.

Next....!

That is your opinion. The world's box offices and quite a few more wider minded cineastes think otherwise...

And "non-action" means nothing. Bond directors do not have to be action directors as Terence Young, Lewis Gilbert and John Glen will testify.

Indeed, it is my opinion, but I know what I like in a Bond film, and I know I didn't enjoy Quantum Of Solace as much as other Bonds. And I said seasoned action director meaning someone with experience in the past directing an action movie, not specifically someone who just makes action movies.

#27 Pierce - Daniel

Pierce - Daniel

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 02:43 PM

I would love boyle to do Bond 23, but the thing is he won the oscar. He fits EON's new spec though, now they have made the Bond moves more human and abut the character opposed to the set pieces. He fitts the bill.
But after winning an oscar, directors tend to leave behind big budget fare, and push forward more personal projects becasue film companies are willing to listen to them and finance an Oscar winner. It would be shocking to see Boyle take a side step into franchise terroity especailly after gaining such accalim with Slumdog.

I do hope he gets the job.

As for it being too soon or him to sign on even if he wanted to. Wrong, Babs has said in interviews Bond 23 will be out 2010 or 2011. Hiring a director early (ala Campbell) opposed to waiting till summer (ala Forster) just means the director has a lot longer to work on the script. Just llok at the script quailty on CR compared to QOS.

#28 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 02:55 PM

Yes, I certainly enjoyed John Glen's sumptuous period drama Aces: Iron Eagle III :(

#29 HH007

HH007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1833 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 02:58 PM

This is probably a fanboy pipe dream, people. Don't get your hopes up about it.

#30 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 03:16 PM

DANNY BOYLE??!!! I'M SOOO EXCITED!!!

I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!!! BOND 23rd...HERE.WE.COME!!!!

Think it's true? 28 DAYS LATER is one of my faves. I'll take that end of the world over Curaon's CHILDREN OF MEN.

I've got SUNSHINE a few clicks down the Netflix queue. Anyone seen it yet? Will I be pleased?