1332 replies to this topic

#181 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 12:07 AM

Haven't watched much TV today. I saw a bit of Family Guy tonight, though.

#182 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 03:21 AM

Watched THE TONIGHT SHOW WITH CONAN O'BRIEN again last night. I'm already missing Jay Leno quite a bit, as Conan appears to be relying too heavily on pre-recorded segments rather than simply telling jokes and coming up with funny live segments like Leno was known for. So far, the format has been open the show with about 20 minutes of talking about life in L.A. and showing a ton of pre-recorded segments, and then it's time for the one and only guest on the show that night.

My thoughts exactly tdalton... So far Conan's Tonight Show is giving me NONE of the classic feeling that the Tonight Show should have..ala Jay Leno or Johnny Carson. It's everything that reminds me of why I gradually stopped watching Late Nite with Conan O'Brien..Too many stupid and unfunny segments and feeble attempts at a monologue which tend to drag on and on evertime the audience shouts out at Conan and he responds.. I give the show six months tops.. then the ratings will plummet and that will be it..

#183 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 03:36 AM

Watched THE TONIGHT SHOW WITH CONAN O'BRIEN again last night. I'm already missing Jay Leno quite a bit, as Conan appears to be relying too heavily on pre-recorded segments rather than simply telling jokes and coming up with funny live segments like Leno was known for. So far, the format has been open the show with about 20 minutes of talking about life in L.A. and showing a ton of pre-recorded segments, and then it's time for the one and only guest on the show that night.

My thoughts exactly tdalton... So far Conan's Tonight Show is giving me NONE of the classic feeling that the Tonight Show should have..ala Jay Leno or Johnny Carson. It's everything that reminds me of why I gradually stopped watching Late Nite with Conan O'Brien..Too many stupid and unfunny segments and feeble attempts at a monologue which tend to drag on and on evertime the audience shouts out at Conan and he responds.. I give the show six months tops.. then the ratings will plummet and that will be it..

While I completely agree with you concerning the content of the show thus far, and how it compares to that of Leno (I can't compare it to Carson since I never saw him host THE TONIGHT SHOW), I don't think that Conan's TONIGHT SHOW will be off the air in six months. I think that he'll be there for quite a while, although I would imagine that it'll be with a different audience than that which watched Carson and Leno. What could, however, speed up any potential change in the show would be the presence of Leno at 10pm starting September 14. If audiences flock to Leno's show (which is, reportedly, going to be very similar to his THE TONIGHT SHOW, and will include his opening monologue and segments like "Jaywalking" and "Headlines", as well as guests), then that may make NBC think about where their other two talk shows are headed.

I will say, however, that I've never been less optimistic about the direction that NBC is headed. They're taking 5 hours of scripted programming away to give to THE JAY LENO SHOW. IMO, if they were that worried about losing Leno, then perhaps he should still be hosting THE TONIGHT SHOW. Because of this unusual move, some great TV shows (most notably CHUCK, although it survived cancellation) are being put "on the bubble" when their ratings would not force them to be under normal circumstances. It doesn't appear as though many, if any, of NBC's shows are getting full 22-episode seasons because of the split schedule the network has had to employ in order to keep most of their shows. Ultimately, I think that, even if THE JAY LENO SHOW is a somewhat successful show, that the experiment with the split-schedule will ultimately turn out to be a failure.

For the record, I absolutely adore Jay Leno, if the above paragraph indicated that I don't. I'll follow him to his 10pm show, and will watch it as regularly as I did his TONIGHT SHOW. I think Leno's funny, and I love the way that he's funny without being mean-spirited in his humor (something that can no longer be said about NBC's late night hosts after the "joke" I heard Fallon tell about the last Titanic survivor passing away, which absolutely horrified me and has caused me to decide that I will never watch LATE NIGHT WITH JIMMY FALLON ever again), and he genuinely seems like a good person. While Leno could have taken the opportunity to make the final moments of his version of THE TONIGHT SHOW all about himself (and who could have blamed him, he's become a legend in the industry through his work on the show), he instead made it about those with whom he's worked, and the bit where he brought out all of the kids that had been born to the TONIGHT SHOW staff was one of the all-time great TV moments.

#184 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 04:24 AM

Agreed with you tdalton.. I guess I was a wee bit premature in predicting Conan's show to fail in six months.. B) I'll give it a chance and I'm sure it'll draw decent viewers.. And I'm so glad that you mentioned that Leno's new show will include Headlines and Jaywalking.. I too am a huge fan of Leno and most often tuned into the Tonight Show specifically for those segments..

#185 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 05:25 AM

NCIS. very addictive, this show. B)

#186 danielcraigisjamesbond007

danielcraigisjamesbond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2002 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 01:16 AM

I spent eight hours, that's right, EIGHT HOURS finishing Season 5 of 24. Wow! This show is addicting, especially season five. I won't spoil the ending for those who haven't seen it, but I was "on the edge of my seat" while watching the very last episode.

#187 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 01:21 AM

And I'm so glad that you mentioned that Leno's new show will include Headlines and Jaywalking.. I too am a huge fan of Leno and most often tuned into the Tonight Show specifically for those segments..

Those are the segments that I tuned in for the most as well (although I do love his other, less often used segments, like his occasional trips to the 99 cent store), and often times, I would watch the show until midnight, at which point the monologue (my personal favorite part of his show) and the timeslot where the "Headlines" and "Jaywalking"-type segments would go would be over. I would only continue watching if there was a guest I was interested in seeing, but I always made a point of watching the first half hour or so of the show to see the monologue and whatever comedy segment he had on that night.

I actually didn't think that I would miss Leno this much only four nights into his absence from THE TONIGHT SHOW, but late night TV just isn't the same without him, and the quality of NBC's late night talk shows has dropped considerably in his very short absence.

#188 bondrules

bondrules

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2190 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 03:40 AM

Late Night w/Conan O/Brien.

After that initial pre-recorded sketch, it has all gone downhill. Right now, the show is not funny at all.......Too bad. BTW, at least he is 10x funnier & 50x more interesting than Leno.

Letterman is the king of Late Night. 60+ and still going strong.

#189 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 05:13 AM

BURN NOTICE!

#190 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 12:06 PM

NCIS. very addictive, this show. B)

Agreed. I used to hate watching Tony, at first, but the show has grown and grown on me, and his character has been showing more and more range. I wonder what chance the spin-off has of matching this show's appeal.

#191 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 10:47 PM

Spent the day watching several first season episodes of DEXTER. Very good show with a lot of very interesting characters.

#192 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 10:46 PM

Big Brother. Urghh.

#193 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 10:50 PM

Spent the day watching several first season episodes of DEXTER. Very good show with a lot of very interesting characters.

Indeed tdalton! The following seasons are worth watching too!

#194 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 10:56 PM

Indeed tdalton! The following seasons are worth watching too!

I'm very much looking forward to getting the chance to see the other seasons. I just finished season 1 today, and it was great. A lot of really great, tense moments in the closing episodes, and things are set up for what I would imagine would be a very good and interesting second season.

#195 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 12:16 AM

Season 2 of DEXTER is the best season of the show by a fairly substantial margin, though I did like the other two seasons a fair amount.

#196 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 01:07 AM

Season 2 of DEXTER is the best season of the show by a fairly substantial margin, though I did like the other two seasons a fair amount.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing Season 2. If it's better than Season 1, then I must really be in for a treat because Season 1 was quite entertaining, and already has me putting DEXTER right alongside CHUCK as one of the two best shows on TV.

#197 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 02:20 AM

I'm deep into the universe of Battlestar Galactica at the moment. Bought the first three seasons on DVD, and have wasted so much time watching them it's getting embarrassing. What a fantastic, addictive series. I might shed a tear when I watch the final episode.

Tried to watch some of the original show too, it was absolutely awful compared to the remake.

Indeed. Original is just ugh by comparison any more. And ftr, finale brings a tear to me eye every time.

Great, can't wait to see it.
The original felt like watching the Adam West Batman series these days, post-The Dark Knight.

I still enjoy that series, but now more for the laughs. Ah Adam West Batman, I salute you and your camp.

#198 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 05:37 PM

The Closer, season opener. The mystery angle sagged a bit, but Kyra Sedwick continues to be a revelation.

#199 darkpath

darkpath

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2688 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 01:43 AM

Mythbusters - testing the myth that any sonic boom can break glass, and the "Wanted" myth of curving a bullet flight path

#200 Obiwan

Obiwan

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 201 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 01:47 AM

House- Had a House marathon today with my friend we started at midnight and watched Season 3 B)
House is the one show I can re-watch over and over and it never gets old. I enjoy House he a sarcastic pain in the butt, but he has dry humor and that is the humor I laugh at.

#201 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 02:11 AM

Caught the re-run of the Colbert Report ep I missed last night.

#202 SPECTRE ASSASSIN

SPECTRE ASSASSIN

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4247 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 06:09 AM

Watched THE TONIGHT SHOW WITH CONAN O'BRIEN tonight. It was as good as could be expected considering that it's the first show under a new host, and it was more of a set-up for what's to come rather than a proper show.

With that said, it was very strange to see someone else hosting THE TONIGHT SHOW. Leno's the only host I've known on the show, so it's going to take a lot of getting used to for me.

I thought Conan did so-so in his debut. he looked a bit nervous, his sidekick Andy Richter laughed a bit too much at Conan's jokes that went awry, and Will ferrell wasn't much of a great first time guest. loved the universal studios lot bit though. In time conan will find his rythem again...

#203 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 12:45 PM

24. And I LOVE it! B)
Currently watching Season 1 episode 2. (1:00am - 2:00am)

I'm gonna try and get hold of Season 1 tonight.

#204 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 07:31 PM

Currently watching CMT CROSSROADS: DEF LEPPARD & TAYLOR SWIFT

Very odd pairing of artists (probably the most unlikely pairing the show has come up with to this point in time), but a brilliant concert nonetheless, and a very entertaining hour of television. The version of Leppard's "When Love and Hate Collide" could have been the perfect theme song for QUANTUM OF SOLACE if only the song hadn't been originally released over a decade ago.

#205 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 08:12 AM

NBA Finals

#206 The Ghost Who Walks

The Ghost Who Walks

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 08:39 AM

Finished the third season of Battlestar Galactica, need to get out and buy more of these dru... sorry, DVD-sets. I have rarely been so visibly shaken after watching something the way I was after watching the finale of the season. Absolutely amazing, makes most Hollywood blockbusters look really dull, embarrasing and childish in comparasion.

If you don't watch this show, you don't know what you're missing.

#207 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 10:02 AM

Making my way through 24. Currently at 11:16:27 at 11:00am to 12:00pm.

Brilliant stuff!

#208 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 05:05 PM

The Closer. The bloom on the rose is beginning to fade...but even so the show is consistently entertaining and Sedgwick remains a delight.

#209 danielcraigisjamesbond007

danielcraigisjamesbond007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2002 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 06:05 PM

Making my way through 24. Currently at 11:16:27 at 11:00am to 12:00pm.

Brilliant stuff!

Season 1, I take it???
It is, quite possibly, one of the greatest television shows EVER made! B)

I'm on Season 6 now, and I'm trying not to watch the entire season in one sitting. So, I'm trying to watch one episode once a week.

#210 Jose

Jose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1020 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 08:36 AM

I actually sat down to watch TV the other night, which is extremely odd because I pretty much never watch TV. I decided to watch the Simpsons and didn't turn the tv off after the credits. Ironically, I'm glad I left the TV on. I saw Bones and enjoyed it very much. Interesting to watch all the way through B)

Edited by Jose, 20 June 2009 - 08:37 AM.