170 replies to this topic

#1 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 10 October 2002 - 06:36 AM

You know, someday, some way, we should all consider one HUGE international meet up.

It would need a good year of advance notice, but wouldn't it be wild?

Although I doubt we could find a pub large enough to handle us all. :)

#2 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 10 October 2002 - 06:41 AM

Hell Bryce, that's a great idea! I'd love to do that. We'd have to plan about a year ahead so we could all budget though. And which country would we choose? Something neutral perhaps, maybe Japan! :)

#3 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 11 October 2002 - 12:04 AM

Hmmm. Japan? I don't know if Tiger's ready for a mega dose of fans.

The obvious locale is London. Granted that's quite a haul for the lads & ladies down-under, but it's not exactly a walk across the street for myself.:)

Maybe we should send this over to it's own thread? It's certainly worth talking about, but what kind of numbers would we be looking at? 100, 200, 500?

One long weekend in the UK though. Would anybody sleep? The pics, the pints and the Bond fans. Maybe Pinewood would be willing to host it in the 007 Stage? It's certainly large enough.

Let's kick this around some more eh?

Can't hurt, but if we do pull it off, I want some credit.:)

#4 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 11 October 2002 - 03:05 AM

Well there you have it, it's own thread :)

London. Yes the obvious, and why not :) I like your idea of the 007 Stage. Graham Rye organised something at Pinewood, so ti all seems plausible.

As a timing I'd suggest Bond 21.

#5 PaulZ108

PaulZ108

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 11 October 2002 - 03:26 AM

Hmm...I was fixing to insert the obligatory "count me out" comment but with Bond 21 as a possible time I might actually be able to make this one as I'll have a job by then and enough notice to be prepared for it.

#6 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 11 October 2002 - 03:37 AM

Originally posted by Blue Eyes
Well there you have it, it's own thread  

:)As a timing I'd suggest Bond 21.

Thanks Dan! :)

Bond 21 would give everyone enough time to get it together (geez! possibly 3 years?!?)

But yes, let's do it!

Enough plotting and planning and ANYTHING can be done.

Why do I get the feeling I've just lit "the fuse on an explosive situation..."

So is CBn officially in pre-pre-pre-production on Bond 21? :)

#7 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 11 October 2002 - 04:06 AM

Pre-pre-pre production has been going on for ages. Trust me :)

Now we're in to pre-pre production.

You know, with numbers large enough, it might be possible to organise a screening of Bond 21 etc...

In regards to Paul's note above, I think 2 years is ample time to get things organised. Of course, some people are younger and can't get jobs, won't be able to organise going. But still 2 years, I think that's plenty of notice :)

#8 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 11 October 2002 - 04:19 AM

Originally posted by Bryce (003) Bond 21 would give everyone enough time to get it together (geez! possibly 3 years?!?)Enough plotting and planning and ANYTHING can be done.

OK, maybe two - given any "loose ends".....

Let's get cracking then. C'mon 2 YEARS - If they can make Bond 21 - we should all be able to bloody well show up for it.

This could set a record if the word got out by 2005....

What have I done?.....Oh yeah;)

*Bryce grins and debates whether or not to mix a Martini.....Bryce heads down to his liquor cabinet....*

#9 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 11 October 2002 - 07:48 AM

I'm definately in on this. I'll be in England anyway because of my set invite (which I could try to get extended to include "a few friends" as well). I can arrange a hotel near both Pinewood and Stoke Poges, unless someone here doesn't want to pay the few pounds required for travel to and from London via train/tube every day. You'd still save money in the long run, though. I've also got a pretty good knowledge of British Bond locations and I know my way around London on foot.

I'm going to have a meet-up of sorts next month with Dan and a few British Bond fans. If Dave is around I may have a cool surprise for him too. :) I might also have a cool surprise for Dan as well. Is anyone else going to be in the London area around the middle/end of November?

Last time I was in England, I went to eat with a few friends and I noticed everyone at the table was from a different country. It's a very cool feeling knowing you have friends around the globe.

#10 Tim007

Tim007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4821 posts

Posted 11 October 2002 - 10:56 AM

2 years in England :) Sign me on! :)

#11 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 11 October 2002 - 12:28 PM

One huge problem, guys: the UK is the most criminally expensive country in the world (seriously, you'll find the shirt being taken off your back buying ANYTHING), why not go somewhere where our money will take us much further, i.e. Europe. Even Japan would be cheaper than the UK, once we made it over there.

#12 Tim007

Tim007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4821 posts

Posted 11 October 2002 - 12:30 PM

Yeah, Trier is a wonderful German town :)

#13 Red Grant

Red Grant

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 376 posts

Posted 11 October 2002 - 12:45 PM

Originally posted by Loomis
One huge problem, guys: the UK is the most criminally expensive country in the world (seriously, you'll find the shirt being taken off your back buying ANYTHING), ...

I couldn't agree more - and I live here! Thanks God for the Internet where I can buy DVD's, CD's etc at reasonable prices and have them delivered to my door free of charge.

#14 Rolex

Rolex

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 448 posts

Posted 11 October 2002 - 01:28 PM

This could be a bit of a downer, my friend is a fireman and they may start 3-day strikes week commencing 1st Nov. He told me that 3 day strikes will continue through November if there is no resolution to the dispute, public gathering could be impacted i.e. Theatre's, Cinemas, night clubs could close. Apparently many public events (firework displays) for the 2nd & 3rd Nov have been cancelled for that weekend as the army cannot cope with public gatherings. Lets hope the strike does not take place Nov 22nd!

#15 Dunph

Dunph

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 11 October 2002 - 01:47 PM

Hmm, I like the idea about the big-*** Bond gathering. And hosting it at an England location isn't a bad idea.
Obviously living in England, planning etc. would be a much easier job for me rather than a foreign fan, so if this gets underway, let me offer my services. Oh, and i should be at the premiere on Nov. 18th, provided MGM don't turn my application down.

#16 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 11 October 2002 - 02:31 PM

How about some kind of poll to choose where we go to meet up, to decide a country where most of us have not been but would like to go.

#17 WarBird

WarBird

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 370 posts

Posted 11 October 2002 - 03:10 PM

That really does sound like a great idea. I'm only 15, so I wouldn't have the money to fly over and for an hotel and everything.

#18 Tim007

Tim007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4821 posts

Posted 11 October 2002 - 03:33 PM

Ok, I'll start a poll :)

#19 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 11 October 2002 - 03:50 PM

Well, seems there's some interest here.:)

and also some concerns.

Jordan - If you'd be willing to do some foot-work during your London trip with the "powers that be", that would be great. Test the waters - so to speak. (side note - any idea when the 007Forever site will be updated with BCW-5 pics/stories?)

I'm all for a poll, but London for the next Bond (21) seems the obvious choice. Yes, anywhere/everywhere in the UK is expensive to stay and play in.

Getting there isn't an inexpensive prospect either, but with the net, constant airline deals and ENOUGH ADVANCE NOTICE;), there are deals to be had. In fact, I just checked out Travelocity, and searched for London flights and selected dates for a year from now - just to see.

I'm finding round-trip flights (LA-London) for $375. Not cheap, but certainly an amount I could get together in 12 months if I wanted to (I don't know what it would cost from Aus., but check it out). Hasn't everyone here saved up for something over a long period of time? Even something (dare I say) non-Bond related?

Two years. Also, we're not talking about spending a week or 10 days wherever we do go. A four day event, maybe with a screening of Bond 21 as the finale.

Let's keep kickin' this around. Also, for some of the younger fans in here (out there?) you will be two years older, so your world may not be as limited as you think it to be right now.

Aren't we ALL accustomed to waiting a few years for something anyway? :)

#20 Tim007

Tim007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4821 posts

Posted 11 October 2002 - 04:01 PM

I would be 19 then, so no problem with my parents. Getting to London is no problem - Ryanair offers flights for 19

#21 stromberg

stromberg

Commander RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6841 posts

Posted 11 October 2002 - 04:13 PM

I'd go for England and Pinewood, but we could also check out other Bond-locations. You can rent the Eiffel Tower conference room, but this would be a bit expensive for all of us: it's about 5000 Euros a day :eek: (and you really get your shirt ripped off in that town: EUR 6 a beer, don't dare asking for Vodka-Martinis)
Perhaps there is a possibility about Piz Gloria, they can host up to 400 people. Don't know anything about prizes, but it can't be that expensive.
But I'd also go for any other exotic places: Istanbul, Gibraltar, Nassau (Bahamas). Anything except Isthmus City... :) Something like that should be possible with a planning time of one or two years.

#22 walther

walther

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 375 posts

Posted 11 October 2002 - 04:35 PM

Hey, I love to travel and have always wanted to go to London. But I'm up for anything. I'll be ready and waiting and itching to see Bond 21 in two years. :)

#23 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 11 October 2002 - 07:36 PM

Stromberg - Paris would be fun, but I've heard what kind of financial damage can be done in just an afternoon there! :)

Also, and this is just one case - but it sort of makes my point. Just based on the net deals I could find I figured out the following -

Economy round-trip ticket LA-London = (purchased more than 18 months in advance) $245

Marriott Hyde Park - standard room - 1 guest for 5 nights = about $260 US

Add in spending/travel/eating cash - say 100 GBP per day (and you'd hopefully come home with some in your pocket) = 500 GBP

That works out to a little over $1100 USD. I could do that by the time Bond 21 came out.

Granted, this is just right here, right now, and using my own info, but there's certainly possibilities.

Keep voting;)

#24 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 11 October 2002 - 07:45 PM

I am going to just jump in here with a few suggestions:

a) Let's make this international meet-up for either the week between Christmas and New Year's or sometime in late July / Early August. Why? Because everyone involved in school -- those that go, those that teach -- can make the time to be there, without losing pay, or having to make up work...etc.

:) We would need to book a hotel waaaaaaaaaaay in advance if we are looking at a hundred rooms. But if we do that, they would also probably throw us some discounts.

c) If we get together...we can have some serious fun with this....have guest speakers...maybe have some formal talks about the movies...check out sites.

d) Now we are a huge mass of people. People who look good in tuxs and formal gowns. Does anyone see where I am going with this???? If you don't
Spoiler

-- Xenobia

#25 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts
  • Location:Was on Saturn, now back in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Posted 11 October 2002 - 08:00 PM

I'm not being rude :) but I actually suggested something similar to this a while back, in a thread entitled Could this happen?

Well actually, what I suggested wasn't so much a meeting up of Bond fans, but a meeting up of those of us who post at CBN and I think that's kinda different. I think you mean a meeting up of Bond fans.

Well really I was asking if it was possible if something like that could happen.

#26 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 11 October 2002 - 08:26 PM

Originally posted by Bryce (003)
(side note - any idea when the 007Forever site will be updated with BCW-5 pics/stories?)

I'm presently working on getting all the old strories put in my new website design. We're waiting to put up any new stories on the site until then. Currently I'm working 16 hours a day and I have to try and get 007Forever done and I recently took on Vic Flick's website. Anyway, once the new design gets online 007Forever will be back on it's feet again.

#27 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 11 October 2002 - 08:39 PM

Geez, what a response! Fantastic! I'm really glad people have jumped behind the idea :)

#28 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 11 October 2002 - 08:47 PM

Me too Dan!

and my dearest Xen - If we did plan this to happen while they were still shooting Bond 21, we'd be the greatest group of extra's ever;)

Jordan - Thanks for the intel....and get some rest...some people call it sleep;)

Let's keep rolling...

#29 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts
  • Location:Was on Saturn, now back in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Posted 11 October 2002 - 09:17 PM

We would have to make the effort to get on with eachother.

I mean things like, no arguing, no trying to antagonise eachother.

#30 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 11 October 2002 - 09:33 PM

I'm up for it, will be the first time out of this Country! Gonna be a friggin ***** getting the money up though :) but i'll do my best, geez, Pinewood the Holy Grail for Bond fans and Movie-making buffs, I thing i better bring my wire cutters along :) *somewhere, an MGM employee sets the alarm, no foreign CBn members to be accepted into London*