#1 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 06:31 PM

Hi Gang and Gangesses.

Seeing as we're seeing so many threads with the dumbless™ preaching to the dumb™. :( I thought it would be a good idea to have just one thread whereby the dumb™ can have everything explained to them by the dumbless™.

As for myself. I'm kind of bordering between dumb™ and dumbless™ (dumbian)©.

Of course, if this thread is considered dumb, dumbless or dumbian, please remove.

Let the dumb™ no longer be dumbless™.

Cheers,

Dumbian

#2 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 06:36 PM

Before we proceed, where's our dear Chula?

:(

We also need Tiffany Case and Rosie (the characters) plus Tanya Roberts and Denise Richards to join in as well.

And to keep some semblence of ratios, let's not forget Graham Rye.

#3 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 07:01 PM

I was intending this thread to be a serious thread, mate. Like a question and answer section. :(

#4 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 07:04 PM

Oopsies. You be serious? LOL! :(

Anyway...ask away, My Dear Bondian...

What's your first question, Ian?

#5 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 07:13 PM

Is there such thing as Vıagra Hemorrhoid cream on the market? I want my piles to grow rapidly so I can cut the bastards off. :( j/k

Seriously. (I now know the answer, but) It did look like 'M' was shot during Greene's interrogation scene.

Why did she appear a few minutes later unharmed?

Note to mods. Maybe this should be moved to the spoiler section?

#6 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 07:26 PM

Q: Exactly, how does the trail lead to Slate?

They tracked LeChiffre’s money. That’s about all the detail I can recall. What other factors did they consider to narrow it down to Slate?

#7 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 07:30 PM

OK, if this is the education thread: LOOSE and LOSE
You lose your virginity.
Your baggy trousers are loose.
I am losing my mind.
The evil huntsmen are loosing the hounds.

Thank you. I'll be here all day.

#8 Ravenstone

Ravenstone

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 400 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 07:31 PM

I think M is shot in the shoulder. She runs off clutching it. The next scene with her is London, so she's probably had it patched since Sienna.

They tracked Le Chiffre's money by marking money he had then following the trail. They found some with M's bodyguard (whose name escapes me now) and found a shed load being paid into an account in Slate's name, at a bank in Bolivia.

That's how I remember it.

#9 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 07:33 PM

Come on, Hilda. There's work to be done. The work is piling up. :(

#10 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 07:40 PM

I do have a life you know...

OK

1. Bond sees M walking up the stairs towards the exit so I say it's a flesh wound to the shoulder as stated above. BUT WE DO SEE HER GOING UP THE STAIRS TOWARDS THE :(ING EXIT! :)

:)

2. Mitchell, the traitor in the Siena safehouse who was also M's bodyguard ("who had no known living relatives and always gave to charity") had 100 pounds, 100 euros and 100 dollars to his name. Some of the bills were marked with the same markings as those Slate...who was last known to be at the Hotel de Selanais (sp.) in Port Au Prince. Hence Bond To Haiti.

;)

#11 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 07:42 PM

I do have a life you know...

OK

1. Bond sees M walking up the stairs towards the exit so I say it's a flesh wound to the shoulder as stated above. BUT WE DO SEE HER GOING UP THE STAIRS TOWARDS THE :(ING EXIT! :)

:)

2. Mitchell, the traitor in the Siena safehouse who was also M's bodyguard ("who had no known living relatives and always gave to charity") had 100 pounds, 100 euros and 100 dollars to his name. Some of the bills were marked with the same markings as those Slate...who was last known to be at the Hotel de Selanais (sp.) in Port Au Prince. Hence Bond To Haiti.

;)

Thank you, mate. :D

#12 Ravenstone

Ravenstone

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 400 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 07:45 PM

Haiti....Bolivia....I never said geography was my strong point :(

#13 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 07:48 PM

Exactly. Interchangeable flea bag states. Both of 'em!

#14 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 07:49 PM

1. If Mathis is a codename, does this imply that James Bond may also be a codename, validating the Tamahori codename theory and finally explaining how "James Bond"'s first mission can take place after DIE ANOTHER DAY but with the same M?

2. Does it not compromise security to a staggering extent for the head of the British secret service to travel to theatres of combat? How come M doesn't seem to have any other work to do beyond literally shadowing the every step of just one of her Double-O agents?

3. Why does the Italian government allow the British to operate an espionage safe house on Italian soil? Is this privilege extended to other foreign governments as well?

#15 Judo chop

Judo chop

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7461 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 07:51 PM

OK, if this is the education thread: LOOSE and LOSE
You lose your virginity.
Your baggy trousers are loose.
I am losing my mind.
The evil huntsmen are loosing the hounds.

Yes. And by the way, it's:

"If you have any questions, feel free to contact either Santa or ME."

Not MYSELF. YOU don't do anything to myself. Only I get to do things to myself.

I think M is shot in the shoulder. She runs off clutching it. The next scene with her is London, so she's probably had it patched since Sienna.

They tracked Le Chiffre's money by marking money he had then following the trail. They found some with M's bodyguard (whose name escapes me now) and found a shed load being paid into an account in Slate's name, at a bank in Bolivia.

That's how I remember it.

Ah yes. So it just came down to the amount of $$$ that led them to Slate.

#16 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 08:08 PM

1. If Mathis is a codename, does this imply that James Bond may also be a codename, validating the Tamahori codename theory and finally explaining how "James Bond"'s first mission can take place after DIE ANOTHER DAY but with the same M?

2. Does it not compromise security to a staggering extent for the head of the British secret service to travel to theatres of combat? How come M doesn't seem to have any other work to do beyond literally shadowing the every step of just one of her Double-O agents?

3. Why does the Italian government allow the British to operate an espionage safe house on Italian soil? Is this privilege extended to other foreign governments as well?

1. No and why? What does Tamahori have to do with Q0S? And let's not play devil's adovacate. I have a job to do and a life to lead. Plus, i'm going to a martini party tonight before 35 of us go see Quantum Of Solace!

2. She learned her lesson with Mitchell...so she really needs to surround herself with people she can trust than where she travels. She only shows up at the Grand Andean in La Paz because the Foreign Secretary gives her an earfull. The other time she shows up is in Kazan because now the lead to Quantum has gotten hotter. None of these places are spots of "combat" in the vein of Port Au Prince.

3. I doubt the Italian government knows. These are "secret" services. I'm sure all important countries have "secret" "safe" houses all over the place that aren't known to the indigenous country's intelligence services.

Q:

What do questions 1 and 3 have to do with how good Q0S is or whether you can follow the "quick movie" or not?

Do tell?

#17 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 08:20 PM

What does Tamahori have to do with Q0S?

Nothing. Sadly.

And let's not play devil's adovacate. I have a job to do and a life to lead. Plus, i'm going to a martini party tonight before 35 of us go see Quantum Of Solace!

Crikey, pardon me for breathing, Hilly. :(

What do questions 1 and 3 have to do with how good Q0S is or whether you can follow the "quick movie" or not?

Do tell?

Nothing. Still, that's not the point of this thread.

#18 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 03:05 AM

Could anyone (even Bond) topple a motorcycle even when someone's mounted it?

Could anyone snap-off a metal door handle? Would it still prevent the person on the other-side from using it?

Sorry for the Dumbian™ questions. :(

#19 Double-0-7

Double-0-7

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3629 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 03:20 AM

Exactly. Interchangeable flea bag states. Both of 'em!

Hey, that's not very nice!

I used to be the dictator of one of those stinky little holes. Can't remember which, so perhaps they are interchangeable. Never mind.

#20 Sir James Moloney

Sir James Moloney

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 332 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 03:22 AM

Could anyone snap-off a metal door handle? Would it still prevent the person on the other-side from using it?

I don´t know, but you can bet I´m gonna try both of these when I get a chance :(

#21 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 03:23 AM

I don´t know, but you can bet I´m gonna try both of these when I get a chance :)

LOL. :(

#22 whaleman

whaleman

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 03:57 AM

There are a couple issues bugging me after seeing this movie that hopefully the 007 experts on this forum can help me digest:

1) There are repeated comments from Mr.White, Mathis and M that Vesper 'died to save Bond' or 'if Vesper did not die Bond would have been captured.' I loved CR and watched it many many times, and it appeared to me that Vesper either locked herself in the cage because either she was so ashamed she couldn't face Bond, or was so ashamed of her betrayal that she sacrificed herself. How exactly did this act result in 'saving' Bond, since he had just killed everyone except Mr.White who showed no interest in anything other than escaping with the money? It seems to me to be a device to build plot in QoS while sacrificing continuity from CR.

2) Mathis being innocent. Why would LeChiffre, intending on killing Bond, name Mathis as the traitor if he is truly innocent (other than to deceive the audience)? Is LeChiffre taking orders from Vesper to protect her? Seems a bit strange considering if they care about protecting her so much maybe they shouldn't put her on the road in front of a speeding car next time.

Please experts, help me out so that I can sleep at night:)

#23 quantumofsolace

quantumofsolace

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 05:23 AM

1. Both Bond and Vesper would have died if she had not killed herself.
2. LeChiffre was lying to undermine Bonds confidence, making him more likely to Yield.

#24 whaleman

whaleman

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 05:38 AM

1. Both Bond and Vesper would have died if she had not killed herself.
2. LeChiffre was lying to undermine Bonds confidence, making him more likely to Yield.

I can understand and accept your point #2. But please explain how Bond would have died if not for Vesper killing herself.

#25 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 05:40 AM

the titanic sinks.

#26 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 05:41 AM

There are a couple issues bugging me after seeing this movie that hopefully the 007 experts on this forum can help me digest:

1) There are repeated comments from Mr.White, Mathis and M that Vesper 'died to save Bond' or 'if Vesper did not die Bond would have been captured.' I loved CR and watched it many many times, and it appeared to me that Vesper either locked herself in the cage because either she was so ashamed she couldn't face Bond, or was so ashamed of her betrayal that she sacrificed herself. How exactly did this act result in 'saving' Bond, since he had just killed everyone except Mr.White who showed no interest in anything other than escaping with the money? It seems to me to be a device to build plot in QoS while sacrificing continuity from CR.

Step by step. 1)Yusef conned her into falling for him and then into thinking he'd been kidnapped by Quantum. 2)She unwittingly fed Quantum gov't info while with Yusef. 3)She went with Bond to Montenegro but was secretly in [forced] league with Quantum. 4)She attempted several times to undermine Bond in the game, like a)diverting his attention with her first entrance rather than the others', b)telling Le Chiffre about the "tell," and c)refusing to fund Bond's buy-in. 5)Ultimately she did fall in love with Bond and that love outweighed anything with Yusef. 6)When Quantum busted up Le Chiffre's party, she sold Le Chiffre out and bargained with White to let Bond keep his life. 7)After their tryst during Bond's recovery, she betrayed Bond because she knew she was being monitored and didn't want Quantum to eliminate him. 8)She killed herself partly because Quantum would never allow them to be together and partly because of the guilt for betraying the man she loved. There was no doubt that an endgame would have been forced between Bond and Quantum. It'd have been a "join us or die" situation.

White confirmed that if she hadn't killed herself, they'd have had Bond, too. Either he'd have to defect [of course not] or they'd have killed him. He didn't mind letting Bond go in Venice because Bond didn't have any info about Quantum. White didn't know about Vesper's text that revealed his cell #.

Does that help at all? :(

2) Mathis being innocent. Why would LeChiffre, intending on killing Bond, name Mathis as the traitor if he is truly innocent (other than to deceive the audience)? Is LeChiffre taking orders from Vesper to protect her? Seems a bit strange considering if they care about protecting her so much maybe they shouldn't put her on the road in front of a speeding car next time.

Vesper was only minimally in league with Le Chiffre, and that by proxy. She was in league with Quantum, and had to assist in getting the money back so Quantum wouldn't lose its reputation. I doubt she and Le Chiffre were very close, and I'm sure he didn't give a damn about letting her be bait on the road so long as his own butt would be saved in the process. I'm not sure that she was really being tortured, but either way it was because she wasn't in league with Le Chiffre that she was spared.

My understanding, anyway.

#27 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 05:47 AM

Vesper was only minimally in league with Le Chiffre, and that by proxy. She was in league with Quantum, and had to assist in getting the money back so Quantum wouldn't lose its reputation. I doubt she and Le Chiffre were very close, and I'm sure he didn't give a damn about letting her be bait on the road so long as his own butt would be saved in the process. I'm not sure that she was really being tortured, but either way it was because she wasn't in league with Le Chiffre that she was spared.

Also, it's likely that Le Chiffre knew of Vesper's involvement, and he also knew there to be some sort of relationship between her and Bond. If he had told Bond that Vesper was the one who betrayed him, Bond would not tell Le Chiffre what he knew in exchange for Vesper's life. Likewise, it protected Vesper's position within Quantum.

#28 whaleman

whaleman

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 06:45 AM

Also, it's likely that Le Chiffre knew of Vesper's involvement, and he also knew there to be some sort of relationship between her and Bond. If he had told Bond that Vesper was the one who betrayed him, Bond would not tell Le Chiffre what he knew in exchange for Vesper's life. Likewise, it protected Vesper's position within Quantum.

Good points by both of you. I still have a little trouble accepting #1 but hey maybe it's just me.

#29 Double-Oh Agent

Double-Oh Agent

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4325 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 07:08 AM

This question was asked earlier but I didn't see a serious answer.

When Mitchell started shooting, it appeared to me that M was shot before she escaped out of the room. But the next time we see her, there seems to be nothing wrong with her. So my question is, was M shot? And if not, as it appears to be, was she shot at, but missed?

Also, at one point in the film Camille's family's name is mentioned. Unfortunately, I couldn't quite decipher it. Can anyone tell me what her family's last name is?

Thanks.

#30 HildebrandRarity

HildebrandRarity

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4361 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 01:10 PM

Also, at one point in the film Camille's family's name is mentioned. Unfortunately, I couldn't quite decipher it. Can anyone tell me what her family's last name is?

Thanks.

It's in my member review here:

http://debrief.comma...p...c=51654&hl=

It's mentioned by Dominic Greene when he rhetorically asks General Medrano about a former military junta member.