97 replies to this topic

#1 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 07:10 PM

What scenes made you chuckle during Quantum of Solace? There is a fair few I can think of. :)

People who say this film has no humour is talking a load of bull. :(

Scenes I found funny:

Bond punching the guy off the bike after the...
"You were supposed to shoot her!"
"I missed!"

exchange. :)

Fields: We are teachers on sabatical, this fits out cover!
Bond: No it doesn't, get in.... GET. IN.

Bond: We're teachers on sabatical, who've just won the lottery.

Camille: Get In!
Bond: What!?
Bond: Allright.

Fields: (After pushing Elvis down the stairs) OH MY GOSH! I AM SOO SORRY. ;)

Camille grabbing for Medrano's balls during the fight scene.

Bond: Are you going to shoot me!
Camille: I said Get In! -_-

When Bond and M come face to face after he escapes and she gives him a 'WTF 'face.

M's random mood swings:
"I've known him for 8 years, he was a body guard for 5. He past every lie detector test. Look *picks up ashtray* I bought him that for Christmas.... he doesn't even smoke! *SMASH*"

M applying face cream whist talking really calmly to Bond.

M: (Regarding Yussef) Is he still alive?
Bond: Yes.
M: I am suprised!

I'm sure there's more, what scenes made you laugh?

#2 double o ego

double o ego

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 09:37 PM

Bond to Mr. White as he delivers him to the safe house. "Dont bleed to death"

"If the american's wanted lechiffre's sould, they should hae made a deal with the priest".

Bond handing over Camille's body after the boat chase. "She's sea-sick" (connery-esque dialogue)

Bond walking into the hotel fields arranged to stay in, looks around and just walks out with disgust and then enters a plush hotel and uses the teacher's sabatical coer line in spanish.

" I don't think he smokes" Bond talking about Mitchel

Bond-"Slate was a dead end"
M-"That means he killed him.

Bond and camille in the plane and Bond talks to her about a friend being attacked which is M and says something along the lines about how she thinks she's his mother.

Gemma scolding Mathis about the cheap wine.

Gemma wanting Mathis' hands all over her body. Reminded me of that girl in Karem Bay's office in FRWL.

There are too many great and humourous dialogue scenes.

#3 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 09:40 PM

Yes! Half of the things you mentioned I completely forgot about. God, this film is fantastic. :(

I can't wait to see it again on friday.

#4 double o ego

double o ego

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 09:56 PM

I just thank God that despite mixed reviews, it'll still make huge money and Bond 23 is slated for 2010. Thank God for Daniel Craig bringing back credibility to this series. CR and QoS are fine pieces of cinematic artistry. I can't wait till this comes out on dvd.

#5 Bradley De La Cloche

Bradley De La Cloche

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 175 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 11:50 PM

There's too many to mention, but the one line that really made me crease up was
"We're teachers on sabbatical...who've just won the lottery."

:(

Edited by Bradley De La Cloche, 03 November 2008 - 12:09 AM.

#6 Ravenstone

Ravenstone

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 400 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 12:08 AM

Yep. All them. I also liked

- M's "When someone says 'we have people everywhere', you expect it to be hyperbole. Florists say it all the time."

- "You should just say CIA, Felix. I asked the taxi driver and he told me where you were."

- Mathis : "I think she has handcuffs". Bond : "I hope so"

- Fields : "Oh gosh! I'm sooo sorry!"

- Bond : "I can't find the....stationery. Would you come and help me look?"

#7 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 12:46 AM

Also this one, during the boat chase:

Camille, angry, shouting: "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?"
Bond, outraged: "You're welcome!"

#8 CaptainPower

CaptainPower

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 233 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 12:49 AM

Did anyone else have some laughter in the audience when Bond dumps Mathis' body in the trash? :(

#9 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 01:18 AM

Did anyone else have some laughter in the audience when Bond dumps Mathis' body in the trash? :(

Yeah, there was some in our audience. The bloke next to us laughed at almost everything though.

I seem to be in the minority with finding Fields' "oh my gosh" line absolutely terrible and a low point of the movie...

#10 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 01:20 AM

I seem to be in the minority with finding Fields' "oh my gosh" line absolutely terrible and a low point of the movie...

Dunno, but I, for one, found it funny. In this particular scene, the low point to me was Elvis's hairpiece falling. Too much.

#11 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 01:23 AM

Dunno, but I, for one, found it funny. In this particular scene, the low point to me was Elvis's hairpiece falling. Too much.

It was the delivery of the line more than anything. She sounded far too schoolgirlish to be taken seriously. Also, the petulant manner of tripping Elvis in the first place wasn't to be my liking anyway.

Different tastes, I guess though, as I found the brief glimpse of the hairpiece more amusing.

#12 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 01:27 AM

It was the delivery of the line more than anything. She sounded far too schoolgirlish to be taken seriously. Also, the petulant manner of tripping Elvis in the first place wasn't to be my liking anyway.

Different tastes, I guess though, as I found the brief glimpse of the hairpiece more amusing.

Actually, I considered the schoolgirlish delivery was intentional. Maybe I'm wrong, but it works well this way.

#13 mkkbb

mkkbb

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 10:44 AM

On second viewing you really do take in more of the jokes. I found it far funnier when I saw it again yesterday (and also think it is far better than I originally thought it was). It does contain very dry humour, which I think is more clever than the out-and-out camp jokes from the Brosnan films.

#14 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 07:20 PM

Ha! Another scene has just come to mind that I found funny.

When Camille and Bond are talking in the plane, she asks Bond why he's after Quantum.

Bond: They attacked a friend of mine. (reffering to M)
Camille: Who was she, your mother?
Bond: No, but she likes to think that she is!

#15 Alfred Blacking

Alfred Blacking

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 09:14 PM

Actually, I considered the schoolgirlish delivery was intentional. Maybe I'm wrong, but it works well this way.

I think you're right. I found her quite amusing. I think she was playing it as a junior employee trying to be important, but not succeeding and coming across as like a junior prefect.

- Mathis : "I think she has handcuffs". Bond : "I hope so"

I couldn't hear what he was saying in the cinema. I had to view the South Bank Show on tv with the subtitles on in order to get it. Soooo....Bond's into bondage?

#16 dee-bee-five

dee-bee-five

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 09:17 PM

There's too many to mention, but the one line that really made me crease up was
"We're teachers on sabbatical...who've just won the lottery."

I think it's actually one of my favourite lines of the series. Those who haven't seen it yet might find this strange but it's very funny in context.

#17 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 09:17 PM

The joke involving hyperbole and florists. I'm a sucker for any line that contains one of those words, let alone both.

#18 CaptainPower

CaptainPower

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 233 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 09:49 PM

The joke involving hyperbole and florists. I'm a sucker for any line that contains one of those words, let alone both.

..and delivered by Dame Judi Dench, no less :)

I loved the look that Greene gives Felix and the other American agent when he's sitting in his car about to be driven off to Tosca. I know it's supposed to be sufficiently creepy and menacing, but I couldn't help but laugh. The two of them are both like "WTF? :( "

:)

Edited by CaptainPower, 03 November 2008 - 09:52 PM.

#19 double o ego

double o ego

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 09:20 AM

Greene - my friends call me dominic green.

Bond - ...I'm sure they do.

#20 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 10:31 AM

Great list, guys. So much for these claims the film is humourless. Fight the smears, spread the truth!

#21 Ravenstone

Ravenstone

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 400 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 08:05 PM

"I'd rather spend the night in the morgue."

"See? They've already forgotten you." - "You're just saying that to hurt me."

"This man had me tortured and imprisoned, and you want to serve him fine wine?" - "You only buy cheap wine."

#22 SPOTTER

SPOTTER

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 126 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 08:15 PM

On second viewing you really do take in more of the jokes. I found it far funnier when I saw it again yesterday (and also think it is far better than I originally thought it was). It does contain very dry humour, which I think is more clever than the out-and-out camp jokes from the Brosnan films.

I am going to see it again on saturday and I hope to get the same feeling from it. A few of the dry humoured jokes went over my head because I was just comparing the film to CR all the way through. I hope my opinion changes second time around as well.

#23 double o ego

double o ego

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 09:03 PM

I am going to see it again on saturday and I hope to get the same feeling from it. A few of the dry humoured jokes went over my head because I was just comparing the film to CR all the way through. I hope my opinion changes second time around as well.

And I'm sure countless others did that too. How is one supposed to take in something when concentration is being diverted elsewhere. I'm glad you've said this because it's pretty obvious that others did the exact same thing.

#24 NATO Sub

NATO Sub

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 182 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 09:40 AM

I think you're right. I found her quite amusing. I think she was playing it as a junior employee trying to be important, but not succeeding and coming across as like a junior prefect.

I think this was the intent... So when M shows Bond her dead body lying on the bed in hotel later, you feel some of the guilt aimed at Bond - he has brought someone who is little more than a schoolgirl into the mess he has created and she's so far out of her depth it ends up getting her killed.

#25 Fiona Volpe lover

Fiona Volpe lover

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 347 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 12:51 PM

I must admit even though I really disliked the film, there were some funny lines......although the bit I laughed at most was the sub-Die Another Day CG aeroplane.

#26 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 01:05 PM

The CGI is not bad at all. It's blasphemy comparing it to Die Another Day.

#27 CaptainPower

CaptainPower

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 233 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 01:08 PM

Agreed. Personally I'm not a fan of the whole dog fight/free falling sequence anyway, but I didn't think any CG used was particularly ghastly or even that noticeable :(

#28 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 01:13 PM

Yeah, I don't blame the CGI that much on this sequence, but I didn't really enjoy it. It was a bit too much (freefalling, then surviving such a low opening, etc.), plus a thing that made me unintentionally laugh was Camille quitting her set of headphones and "guiding" Bond (headphones still on) with her own voice from the back of a roaring cargo plane. She must have quite a powerful voice! :(

#29 NATO Sub

NATO Sub

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 182 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 01:49 PM

Seconded. Comparing QoS unfavorably with an invisible car, unbelievable and poorly executed cliff-jump and cheese-tastic surfing on an iceberg really destroys the credibility of anyone making such a claim.

#30 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 06:11 PM

Anyone else laugh at the scene when Greene so gayley covers his face after the guy falls onto his car at the tosca?

"Why is he looking at me???"