62 replies to this topic

#31 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 07:58 PM

Scratch the action and Forster's done that. And really, QoS being a lot of action isn't entirely Forster's fault. Last time I checked the man didn't pen the film.

#32 DKnight007

DKnight007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 10:09 PM

Scratch the action and Forster's done that. And really, QoS being a lot of action isn't entirely Forster's fault. Last time I checked the man didn't pen the film.

Oh I agree....it wasn't completely Forsters fault, it was mainly the writers and producers, but still would you want Forster back....or would you rather have a shot at upgrading?

The Bond franchise needs a director to match or be better than Martin Campbell was.

#33 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 10:13 PM

Forster was an upgrade.

#34 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 10:24 PM

Oh I agree....it wasn't completely Forsters fault, it was mainly the writers and producers, but still would you want Forster back....or would you rather have a shot at upgrading?

The Bond franchise needs a director to match or be better than Martin Campbell was.

I wouldn't mind if Forster came back. I would prefer some new blood, simply to see what someone as can bring to the table, but Forster is nowhere near the bottom of my list. And, imo, it's a bit harsh to judge by Campbell. The man's a tough act to follow.

#35 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 10:45 PM

That's not too hard, Campbell's a decent director, but he's not the be all end all when it comes to Bond directors. I felt Forster outdid Campbell in every category, but that's a moot point to you because I know you'll disagree with me anyways. Personally I'd love to have Tony Scott take a crack at a Bond film, and seeing as he was on the short list for Bond 22, I think there's a shot he might do it.

#36 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 10:46 PM

That's not too hard, Campbell's a decent director, but he's not the be all end all when it comes to Bond directors. I felt Forster outdid Campbell in every category, but that's a moot point to you because I know you'll disagree with me anyways. Personally I'd love to have Tony Scott take a crack at a Bond film, and seeing as he was on the short list for Bond 22, I think there's a shot he might do it.

That'd be sweet, actually. I'd like to see his brother have a crack at it myself but he's a bit too big name now I think.

#37 Bucky

Bucky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 11:03 PM

That'd be sweet, actually. I'd like to see his brother have a crack at it myself but he's a bit too big name now I think.

people complained about the editing of quantum of solace. i can only imagine the comments if tony scott was director and brought his current style to the film. i liked spy game a lot and still need to see crimson tide but i heard that was good.

#38 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 01:01 AM

people complained about the editing of quantum of solace. i can only imagine the comments if tony scott was director and brought his current style to the film. i liked spy game a lot and still need to see crimson tide but i heard that was good.

That's why I want Scott, I enjoyed the direction QoS went in and would love to see something along the same lines. Maybe not edited as frenetically as Solace was, but I would love to see another decent paced Bond film that had style to boot.

#39 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 03:25 AM

Tony Scott's awesome! I think he would bring a grit to the series that does not seem forced at all.

Vaughn's another favorite choice of mine. Layer Cake was so brutal and slick. The shooting and cinematography were a thing of beauty.

If I had it my way though I would hang on to Forster for a couple more films. I've had it with the huge shifts in style between the Bond films.

#40 tim partridge

tim partridge

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 06:12 PM

Spy Game is rather good, and in my opinion not at all like Tony Scott's other films. It's quite classical. I also think Eon/Tamahori must have had their eyes open to Spy Game when Bond 20 came along, from the gritty Asian prison capture intro to formal things like Christian Wagner and his speed ramping. A shame that ultimately they only seemed to feel the latter factors were worth pursuing for DAD.

I'd welcome a Bond film in the vein of Spy Game.

#41 double o ego

double o ego

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 06:30 PM

Forster was an upgrade.

Maybe on paper but the end result imo is, that CR is a better made movie than QoS.

Crimson Tide was amazing. Denzel and Hackman owned the screen, never letting up.

#42 DKelly

DKelly

Cadet

• Crew
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 06:50 PM

Maybe it's just me, but I'm just not that impressed with Tony Scott as a director(though Spy Game was pretty decent). In the case of his recent films, the filming style of Man of Fire gave me a headache and the execution of the story bored me. I also didn't really come to care for the characters as much as I would've liked. I thought Deja Vu was a little dull as well. The thing I liked about Marc Forster's turn was that he really seemed to be able to allow us to get inside the character's heads and really understand them. I have never gotten that feeling from a Tony Scott film.

I think at this point, now that Danny Boyle has said he won't be directing the next one, Matthew Vaughn would definitely be my first choice. I think he could bring a fun, slick, yet intelligent feel to the film and he could do some interesting things with the characters.

Edited by DKelly, 13 June 2009 - 10:35 PM.

#43 Pierce - Daniel

Pierce - Daniel

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 08:00 PM

I think Kevin McDonald will do great service to a Peter Morgan script.
Get Kevin McDonald.

#44 DKnight007

DKnight007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 06:18 PM

Tony would be interesting, but his uses way to many close ups...and his style is way to similiar to Michael Bay....everything is too loud and frantic and the style tends to become annoying and gives headaches.

Edited by DKnight007, 17 June 2009 - 06:20 PM.

#45 Pierce - Daniel

Pierce - Daniel

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 06:38 PM

Well.....
word is chris Nolan may be done with Batman and won' return to do the next film.

Are you thinking what I'm thinking?
http://www.moviehole...ng-for-batman-3

#46 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 06:45 PM

Forster was an upgrade.

Maybe on paper but the end result imo is, that CR is a better made movie than QoS.

On paper he was a bloody awful choice. But he gave Quantum of Solace a cinematic quality that had been missing from the Bond series for 29 years.

Shame about some of the editing, though.

#47 DKnight007

DKnight007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 07:17 PM

Well.....
word is chris Nolan may be done with Batman and won' return to do the next film.

Are you thinking what I'm thinking?
http://www.moviehole...ng-for-batman-3

Nolan would be a good choice for a Bond film and he has said in the past that a dream of his is to direct a Bond film.

However, this is early take it with a grain of salt chat, with Nolan not returning for the 3rd film. He doesn't have to top TDK in total gross revenue, he would just have to tell another great Batman story.

Jonah and Goyer are working on the 3rd treatment and Chris is working on a movie right now INCEPTION. Whether or not the Nolans and Goyer come up with a good script and story will depend on whether or not Chris Nolan directs the next film.

In another 6 months to a year we should know something more concrete.

Edited by DKnight007, 17 June 2009 - 10:21 PM.

#48 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 09:27 PM

Nolan will be back. There was the same hub bub going on after BB when he went and did The Prestige. He needs distance from capes and rubber to clear his head.

#49 DKnight007

DKnight007

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 10:22 PM

Nolan will be back. There was the same hub bub going on after BB when he went and did The Prestige. He needs distance from capes and rubber to clear his head.

Exactly....he will be back...

#50 Bucky

Bucky

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1031 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 11:13 PM

if nolan directed a bond film do you think the producers would let him direct everything or would they force him to use a second unit to get the film done quickly?

#51 OmarB

OmarB

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1151 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 01:17 AM

Not an option for Nolan, he does everything himself. I think he would rather not do the movie than do bits of a movie.

#52 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 04:49 AM

He needs distance from capes and rubber to clear his head.

Sounds like my first relationship.

#53 Ambler

Ambler

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 06:16 PM

I've only seen L4yer Cake but I would say that was one of the more remarkable directorial debuts of recent years.

On that basis, I imagine Matthew Vaughn would have a great deal to offer the Bondiverse, but would he be able to stand up to Eon? It's saddening that a lot of great talents have done their worst work for Broccoli and Wilson.

#54 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 06:17 PM

I've only seen L4yer Cake but I would say that was one of the more remarkable directorial debuts of recent years.

On that basis, I imagine Matthew Vaughn would have a great deal to offer the Bondiverse, but would he be able to stand up to Eon? It's saddening that a lot of great talents have done their worst work for Broccoli and Wilson.

Like who?

#55 Ambler

Ambler

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 06:24 PM

Like who?

In DAD alone I’d say Madonna, Michael Madsen, Judi Dench, Lee Tamahori, Rosamund Pike, and Toby Stephens.

But that’s another thread.

#56 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 09:02 AM

Like who?

In DAD alone I’d say Madonna, Michael Madsen, Judi Dench, Lee Tamahori, Rosamund Pike, and Toby Stephens.

But that’s another thread.

No. Not another thread. Just another opinion.

#57 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 09:20 AM

Rosamund Pike's worst ever work was in DAD? Have you seen Doom?

As for Michael Madsen, I don't think it's worth even starting.

#58 Ambler

Ambler

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 09:53 AM

Rosamund Pike's worst ever work was in DAD? Have you seen Doom

No, I've been spared that pleasure.

I did see her in Hitchcock Blonde. I found her talents most inspiring. Uplifting, one might say.

#59 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 04:12 PM

God, I saw DOOM recently. It is truly awful, awful human waste of the highest order.

#60 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 04:18 PM

God, I saw DOOM recently. It is truly awful, awful human waste of the highest order.

Video game films always are.