Bond-like news

284 replies to this topic

#211 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 24 July 2011 - 06:52 AM

Spotted this in The Mail On Sunday.

http://www.dailymail...copter-pad.html

For bald, cat stroking megalomaniacal types with a few trillion to spend? Would allow one to control the theft of a V bomber and launch space rockets at the same time? And what would one call it? The Disco Volcano! ;)

(And, good grief, designed by a firm just 20 minutes away from me by motorway! I think I'll get down there and order one - in my dreams of course! :) )

#212 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 08 August 2011 - 04:25 PM

In view of the current turmoil on the world markets, I couldn't help but chuckle when watching GoldenEye on ITV1 last Saturday. The scene when 007 confronts 006 and accuses him of attempting to create a "world wide financial meltdown".

He didn't need a giant underwater radio telescope and a killer satellite. All Alec Trevelyan should have done was become a credit rating analyst and hold forth about sovereign debt ("In sixteen minutes and forty two - no, forty one -seconds, the United Kingdom....... will lose its Triple AAA credit rating!" :) )

Come to think of it - isn't this just the kind of perfect economic storm that Quantum might make a financial pile out of?

#213 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 05:56 AM

Link from yahoo, this time.
http://uk.news.yahoo...-112431862.html

A US prototype flying vehicle comes to an unfortunate end.

Is Doctor Julius No back in business after all these years?

#214 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 11:56 AM

Revealed in the Daily Mail today

http://www.dailymail...g-catfight.html

The final whereabouts of Ernst Stavro Blofeld's white Persian cat! :)

#215 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 03:02 PM

A story which has been in the UK press all week. Our PM, David Cameron, claimed that when he was on holiday many years ago at a Black Sea resort, he was approached by "two gentlemen" with Russian accents, and, well, without going too much around the houses, was being sounded out about becoming a spy for the opposition - at least, he thought that's what it was about!

No big surprise, because attempting to compromise Westerners abroad, of whatever political persuasion, was the KGB's stock in trade.

Which makes me think about a possible Bond plot. Suppose we had the usual Bond -v- villain story (Quantum, SPECTRE, whoever), with the usual typical adversary, and the inevitable outcome, but, along the way, Bond discovers that there was an attempt to compromise his mission by someone on his side? We are not talking about "M" here (an unpopular idea, "M" turning traitor), but someone higher up the food chain than Bond's boss.

It just occured to me that an organisation such as Quantum would not be averse to having a member - or someone who it could blackmail - as a country's head of government, or head of state.

This is the week when John Le Carre's famous book has hit the big screen. But how about "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier.......Prime Minister"? Surely not! :)

#216 Ozzman313

Ozzman313

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 122 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 03:53 PM

In view of the current turmoil on the world markets, I couldn't help but chuckle when watching GoldenEye on ITV1 last Saturday. The scene when 007 confronts 006 and accuses him of attempting to create a "world wide financial meltdown".

He didn't need a giant underwater radio telescope and a killer satellite. All Alec Trevelyan should have done was become a credit rating analyst and hold forth about sovereign debt ("In sixteen minutes and forty two - no, forty one -seconds, the United Kingdom....... will lose its Triple AAA credit rating!" :) )

Come to think of it - isn't this just the kind of perfect economic storm that Quantum might make a financial pile out of?

We were so prosperous in the 90's though, plus the worlds internet communications systems were nowhere near as advanced as they were in 2008. An EMP shock to the stock market would likely cause way more chaos than bad trades and poor credit ratings.

#217 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 10:33 PM

We were so prosperous in the 90's though, plus the worlds internet communications systems were nowhere near as advanced as they were in 2008. An EMP shock to the stock market would likely cause way more chaos than bad trades and poor credit ratings.

Too true, but it seems our "leaders" in politics of whatever persuasion, and business and finance are doing a fine job leading us to a meltdown of sorts. There's talk of a tipping point in the Eurozone in a month or so's time without the need for an EMP blast. Plus, we have the "unknown" elements, such as rogue traders hidden away - another one bit the dust last week.

Happy days!

P. S. Didn't the John Gardner novel "Brokenclaw" include a scene where rogue traders on the villain's payroll simulated how they could bring the financial markets to their knees? It was only in passing, but when I read the book I thought it might make a more intriguing storyline than the stolen military secrets one the book centred around.

#218 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 05:08 AM

http://news.ninemsn....arthed-in-italy

Strictly speaking, it's not really "Bond-like news", but I think this sets up an interesting idea: a deeply-superstitious villain who nails his victims' jaws shut (post-mortem; this isn't SAW) so that they can never utter his name or to prevent them from rising from the grave. Or even doing it to send a message to others - talk, and this is what happens to you.

#219 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 06:34 AM

Just seen on Sky News a few minutes ago. A golf course in Brisbane which has a small lake by the 14th hole - which just happens to have half a dozen or more sharks swimming around in it!

Just the thing for the bald, cat stroking megalomaniac who has almost everything. Or, it would have made for an interesting addition to that famous round of golf between Bond and Goldfinger!

(Completely off the above subject - one of the most ludicrous stories in the UK news last week was the assertion by a government minister that she couldn't deport an illegal immigrant here "because he owned a cat". Which set me thinking - he couldn't have survived being dropped down the chimney at Battersea power station, could he? Deportation order - humbug! There's only one man who can deal with this particular "illegal"! ;) )

#220 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 04:36 PM

Aston Martin boat concept takes Bond off-shore
Posted Image

#221 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 01:51 AM

The Rise and Fall of Viktor Bout, accused of being the world's most notorious arms trafficker, who allegedly fuelled half a dozen civil wars in Africa. I think Bout was one of the major influences for Nicolas Cage's character in LORD OF WAR.

#222 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 01:05 AM

Couldn't help but think of Carte Blanche's Severan Hydt when I came across this :

http://www.ktla.com/...0,6034287.story

#223 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 04:02 AM

Katia Zatuliveter, the most successful Soviet spy in thirty years.

#224 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 07:44 AM

Sanchez back in action?

http://234next.com/c...0-146/story.csp

#225 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 04:32 AM

Bizarre structures in the remote regions of China.

#226 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:10 PM

Some more on the weirdness in China, with the revelation that someone has been ordering satellite photos of the region for nearly a decade. The current theory is that they are being used for calibrating spy satellites.

#227 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:15 AM

If Spectreville ever appeared in a Bond film, this could be an interesting way of doing it (even if it is similar to the draining lake in GOLDENEYE).

#228 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 06:00 AM

Zombie ants!

Deep in the Thai forests, scientists have discovered a parasitic fungus that literally takes control of an ant's mind, directs it to a certain spot on a tree, and then kills the ant. This particular spot is the ideal position for the fungus to grow and reproduce, enabling it to take control of more ants. It's as cool as it is disgusting - I could see a Bond villain attempting to weaponise enzymes in the fungus as a form of brainwashing.

#229 Single-O-Seven

Single-O-Seven

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1323 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 01:58 PM

Zombie ants!

Deep in the Thai forests, scientists have discovered a parasitic fungus that literally takes control of an ant's mind, directs it to a certain spot on a tree, and then kills the ant. This particular spot is the ideal position for the fungus to grow and reproduce, enabling it to take control of more ants. It's as cool as it is disgusting - I could see a Bond villain attempting to weaponise enzymes in the fungus as a form of brainwashing.

I followed this story about a year ago. Extremely bizarre and frightening. Can you imagine if it was weaponised? Suddenly, The Walking Dead doesn't seem so phony!!!!

#230 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 06:54 AM

Can you imagine if it was weaponised?

Nope. The physilogical differences between ants and humans are about as extreme as you can get. It's astounding that a fungus can take control of an ant in the first place, given that it is a fungus and incapable of actual thought. Even when the fungus takes control of the ant, the ant experiences a significantly-reduced range of movements - the fungus controls its mandibles so that they can only close, and that they can only close the once when the fungus gets the ant into position.

If it were weaponised for the purposes of a Bond film, then about the most that it could do is lower a person's inhibitions and make them more susceptible to suggestion. Even then, the degree to which a person is manipulated would be inversely proportional to their willpower.

#231 Chief of SIS

Chief of SIS

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 02:21 AM

Hey Bond, it'd be great if you could get our spy plane back for us...

Iran Says It Has U.S. Drone

Thanks,

America

#232 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:32 AM

North Korea's new "improved" (I doubt it) ruler named, predictably, Kim. Educated in Europe and has a liking for fast cars. Sound familiar? He'll be taking a trip to a clinic in Cuba next!

#233 Rufus Ffolkes

Rufus Ffolkes

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 297 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:58 PM

Iranian nuclear scientist killed by magnetic bomb attached to car by speeding motorcyclist:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...e-east-16501566

#234 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:10 PM

On our Channel 4 Monday 9th January - "The Great Train Robbery's Mystery Mastermind" - the mystery man involved in the UK's most notorious train robbery in 1963.

Is he the reason SPECTRE Number Five reported a £250,000 "consultation fee" in "Thunderball"? ;-)

#235 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:26 AM

Iranian nuclear scientist killed by magnetic bomb attached to car by speeding motorcyclist:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...e-east-16501566

The "G2" section in The Guardian newspaper posed a question this week - who is killing Iran's nuclear scientists? The West? Mossad? Their own side, for some bizarre reason? Or is some unknown third party involved? The more one reads the news lately, the more its seems like the real world equivalents of SPECTRE or Quantum are somewhere pulling the strings.

#236 Pussfeller

Pussfeller

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:05 PM

"Number 10?"
"Assassination of Ahmadi-Roshan, the Iranian nuclear scientist. Three million shekels from the special department of the Mossad."
"Number 11?"
"Campaign to nominate SPECTRE android as GOP presidential candidate. 80 million dollars from the Democratic National Committee."
"Number 5?"
"Production of new Alvin and the Chipmunks sequel by number 9 and myself. 240 million dollars."
"Our expectations were considerably... higher."
"Competition from Adam Sandler. Ticket sales are down."
"We anticipated that factor. I have satisfied myself that one of you is clearly guilty of embezzlement. The culprit is known to me. I have decided on the appropriate action. As punishment, he will write and direct the new Shrek sequel, featuring Justin Bieber as the Pied Piper."
"Aaaieee!"
"Now we will hear from Number 2, who is in charge of our SOPA project, the most ambitious SPECTRE has ever undertaken..."

#237 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 03:42 PM

"Number 10?"
"Assassination of Ahmadi-Roshan, the Iranian nuclear scientist. Three million shekels from the special department of the Mossad."
"Number 11?"
"Campaign to nominate SPECTRE android as GOP presidential candidate. 80 million dollars from the Democratic National Committee."
"Number 5?"
"Production of new Alvin and the Chipmunks sequel by number 9 and myself. 240 million dollars."
"Our expectations were considerably... higher."
"Competition from Adam Sandler. Ticket sales are down."
"We anticipated that factor. I have satisfied myself that one of you is clearly guilty of embezzlement. The culprit is known to me. I have decided on the appropriate action. As punishment, he will write and direct the new Shrek sequel, featuring Justin Bieber as the Pied Piper."
"Aaaieee!"
"Now we will hear from Number 2, who is in charge of our SOPA project, the most ambitious SPECTRE has ever undertaken..."

Very funny! Well done! By the way, which SPECTRE android are we talking about for the Republican nomination? There seem to be one or two cancelling each other out!

#238 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:32 PM

I make no case one way or the other on this one, but the TV channel Russia Today reported about the situation in Iran & the Persian Gulf, and claimed that some in the US media are allegedly ramping up the situation, preparing the folks back home for war.

And at the end, the young woman reporter mentioned William Randolph Hearst and that quote from the Cuban war of 1898 - "You furnish the pictures, and I'll furnish the war".

I'm sure I heard something similar to that in a film I went to see in late 1997!

#239 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4755 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:44 PM

Secret mission to rescue hostages kidnapped by Somalian pirates:

http://abcnews.go.co...62#.TyFJ7_lyWS0

I think piracy off the Horn of Afria or in the Straits of Malacca could work well in a Bond film.

#240 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 01:18 PM

On the BBC Radio 4 news programme "Today", this morning, the news that a sizable stash of cocaine has been discovered in the UN Headquarters in New York City.

Dr Kanaga and his alter ego Mr Big back in business?