153 replies to this topic

#31 Mister E

Mister E

Resigned

• Discharged
  • PipPipPip
  • 2160 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 02:24 AM

I thought parts of GF were filmed in Kentucky (Lexington, Louisville, Ft. Knox)...just that some of the exterior shots of Ft. Knox were filmed in England....

Yes you're right, the secound unit filmed kentucky.

#32 trevanian

trevanian

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 355 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 02:41 AM

Perhaps the 'scouting' part is a smokescreen to cover for Craig and Babs being out to dinner together in n'yawk.

haven't posted here in a couple years or more, but had to on that one.

#33 Quantumofsolace007

Quantumofsolace007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3488 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 02:46 AM

do i beleive it maybe I will say this is the first Credible Rumour

as for the title i love that fan poster i really do.

And one must admit 007 in new york is a title not many would expect.

#34 MajorB

MajorB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3700 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 03:02 AM

This reminds me too much of all the new Batman rumors--Cher as Catwoman, Depp as Riddler, Philip Seymour Hoffman as Penguin--that have suddenly popped up in the wake of Dark Knight, even though Christopher Nolan hasn't even said he's doing a third film.

Yes, locations are often socuted in advance. But as far as I know, they're not generally scouted before there's even the ghost of a storyline. And there hasn't been even a whisper that any screenwriters have been contracted to work on a B23 story. And if Babs & Dan were considering locations, wouldn't they have a location scout with them?

Plus, right now, when the final editing's being completed, the score's being worked on, the marketing is gearing up...it just doesn't seem like the time when anyone would be seriously thinking about the next film. They've got their hands full with this one. And didn't MGW say they were looking to take a break before starting in on B23?

So no, I don't buy this as anything solid. That being said, I think that if anyone can make US locations work (and I agree, with the exception of GF I don't think America's been a "classy" enough locale for the most part...and I'm an American!), it's this team. They'd find a way to give NYC style and/or grit. Wall Street would be a perfect locale for one of Quantum's offices, assuming they have offices. I wouldn't mind Bond in New York at all (though "007 in New York" would, IMO, be a silly film title). I just don't think that's what BB&DC were doing.

#35 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 03:44 AM

Some good points made, but again, a grain of salt when it comes to Liz's column.

As to NYC (or anywhere else for that matter) Zencat brought up a few points. After nearly fifty years of producing Bond films, we've seeen a lot, but there's also a lot we HAVEN'T that are jotted down, noted, considered, been considered in the "idea" list/vault.

Somewhere in my own vault of news clippings was an article (I'm going to say around '92 in the LA Times) with MGW assuring (despite the legal problems of the time) that Bond would be back someday and that they (Eon) were still being approached by all sorts of companies with all sorts of gadgets and film departments of various countries and cities offering locales.

Only a few of which we've ever heard of. The acrostar jet was around and considered for MR's PTS. Well, it didn't get used but did eventually turn up in OP.

BB & DC having dinner in NYC? OK. Fine.

NYC as a locale for Bond 23? Sure. Why not?

Both together and being touted in a "matter of fact" notion (given the source) as if they had held a press conference? No. Now, if Liz had mentioned what they were having to eat, I'd have bought that.

#36 Mister E

Mister E

Resigned

• Discharged
  • PipPipPip
  • 2160 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 03:48 AM

Yes I agree nothing looks definitive.

#37 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 03:49 AM

Great post, mate. :(

Some good points made, but again, a grain of salt when it comes to Liz's column.

As to NYC (or anywhere else for that matter) Zencat brought up a few points. After nearly fifty years of producing Bond films, we've seeen a lot, but there's also a lot we HAVEN'T that are jotted down, noted, considered, been considered in the "idea" list/vault.

Somewhere in my own vault of news clippings was an article (I'm going to say around '92 in the LA Times) with MGW assuring (despite the legal problems of the time) that Bond would be back someday and that they (Eon) were still being approached by all sorts of companies with all sorts of gadgets and film departments of various countries and cities offering locales.

Only a few of which we've ever heard of. The acrostar jet was around and considered for MR's PTS. Well, it didn't get used but did eventually turn up in OP.

BB & DC having dinner in NYC? OK. Fine.

NYC as a locale for Bond 23? Sure. Why not?

Both together and being touted in a "matter of fact" notion (given the source) as if they had held a press conference? No. Now, if Liz had mentioned what they were having to eat, I'd have bought that.

#38 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 03:51 AM

I assume that [dark] brought up the subject as a way of getting us to discuss the idea of Bond in New York for Bond 23.

#39 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 03:53 AM

"Now who can argue with that? Not only was it authentic Bond fan geek gibberish, but it expressed a courage rarely seen on CBn. I'm proud all these lovely school children were here to read it." :)

#40 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 04:07 AM

"Now who can argue with that? Not only was it authentic Bond fan geek gibberish, but it expressed a courage rarely seen on CBn. I'm proud all these lovely school children were here to read it." :)

ROFL.

Hurrumpf. Hurrumpf. Hurrumpf. "I didn't get a hurrumpf from that guy". (pointing and slightly angry) "give the gov'ner an hurrumpf" (directly) "Hurrumpf" (innocently) "you watch yer butt". (expletive toned down for innocent Rock Ridge town folk :))

#41 MicroGlobeOne

MicroGlobeOne

Lt. Commander

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 293 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 04:14 AM

Some good points made, but again, a grain of salt when it comes to Liz's column...

Absolutely! You've hit the nail on the head. There's nothing but pure, wild, unrestrained speculation here. Bond has plenty of places to go, and the plot of the next film will dictate the locations...

#42 SecretAgentFan

SecretAgentFan

Commander

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 04:29 AM

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. Of course, Broccoli and Craig are already planning the next one. Why not New York? I would love to see that. Best thing about it: Bond 23 in 2010 and not with the Wilson mentioned delay in 2011.

#43 quantumofsolace

quantumofsolace

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 04:31 AM

One of the many things I like about the Bond films is the interesting and original locations they film at. New York is the setting for a high budget movie released almost every week! I wouldn't want Bond to film much there, if at all, as it would be boring. LA is another place I'd rather he avoided for the same reason. There's still lots of great locations Bond hasn't been to yet, including many in North America, that would be more exciting.

Edited by quantumofsolace, 11 September 2008 - 04:34 AM.

#44 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 04:40 AM

New York would more than work for me. There's so many amazing places on the other side of the pond. Cannot believe why we haven't seen more of this amazing country. Maybe it's because we've seen a lot of it in other movies? But who cares. :) For me. Diamonds Are Forever made it for me because of the amazing Las Vegas. :(

#45 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 04:56 AM

I assume that [dark] brought up the subject as a way of getting us to discuss the idea of Bond in New York for Bond 23.

Yep. Quantum of Solace is almost upon us and it's only a matter of time before we look to the future. Even if it doesn't turn out to be true, it's a fun Bond 23 rumour from a potentially credible source.

#46 doubler83

doubler83

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 08:21 AM

If Bond DOES leave MI6 at the end of QoS, it would be interesting to open Bond 23 with him working as a freelance security guard for some business person in New York, and slowly gets pulled back into the espionage game.

Or maybe working as a mercenary for one of those Blackwater type organisations.

#47 spynovelfan

spynovelfan

Commander CMG

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 08:31 AM

Isn't Liz Smith's piece really about the fact that Daniel and Babs were dining alone together in NY? :( Good cover story, chaps!

But seriously... I suspect that they are considering New York as a possible location for the next film. One of many they are considering and one of many that would be in the film (look at how many locations QoS has). Doesn't mean it'll be called 007 In New York (though I suspect the Arnold track on the score for that scene would have that title if it happens). Manhattan has enormous potential for Bond, surely. A chase through the subway, or Central Park, or Times Square, or... there are lots of mouthwatering possibilities with the city.

#48 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 08:37 AM

I think this is bull.

QOS hasn't even come out yet and they're already location scouting for the next one?

Yep. That's how it needs to work. Everything doesn't shut down until the January of the year a Bond is released. SOLACE was pencilled in before ROYALE came out.

#49 TheHildebrandRarity

TheHildebrandRarity

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 71 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 08:38 AM

Funny I mentioned this in another thread that it would be good to make a bond film in New York as its still a place they haven't really used. Theres some fantastic locations over there, plus it would make a change to exotic locations.

James Bond Will Return In

007 In New York

#50 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 08:46 AM

The title "007 in New York" will NOT be used.

To simply reassure the less-wordly Americans, the title would have to be changed to "007 in New York, New York" simply to let cousins across the Pond know which New York the film is talking about.

:(

#51 doubler83

doubler83

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 09:01 AM

Oh, hang on a minute.

Bond can't be in New York. Bourne owns New York. Most of the Bourne Ultimatum was filmed there. You can just imagine the hardcore Bourne-only fans claiming that Bond is copying Bourne again.

:(

#52 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 09:04 AM

If Bond DOES leave MI6 at the end of QoS, it would be interesting to open Bond 23 with him working as a freelance security guard for some business person in New York, and slowly gets pulled back into the espionage game.

I'd agree if it wasn't for the fact that's almost identical to the start of next season of 24. But I do like the concept of him being pulled back in.

#53 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 09:06 AM

Cheers Bondian - You big old bloke. :D I knew you'd appreciate the line. :)

Back to the matter at hand -

The USA is a great locale as a whole. Sure, there's the major places - NYC, L.A., Miami, Chicago, D.C., Boston, Dallas, Vegas etc. Sure a couple have been done, but there's also Alaska, Hawaii, Seattle (my home place) that could lend themselves to Bond.

In the literary sense "Brokenclaw" thrilled me being set in San Francisco and concluding in Washington state and the little known city of Wenatchee in central Washington (and my mate, Matt 004's, birthplace) and JG got it spot on even down to his description of SeaTac airport in Seattle. :)

NYC is a fine notion, but again, this is all speculation. I guess the real question is where Bond hasn't been and what a specific set or action piece could be done there. The notion of a master list of whatever may be in the "idea" box at Eon intrigues me though.

I guess we'll just have to keep watching Bond movies to find out.

Maybe we should start a poll. If we haven't already done that. :(

As tomorrow/today sadly marks 9/11, NYC might be an interesting choice. Then again, maybe not. Remember the first Spiderman teaser trailer trhat got pulled?

Anyway, I trust Dan and Babs had a nice meal and that Sony picked up the tab. ;)

#54 doubler83

doubler83

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 09:12 AM

I'd agree if it wasn't for the fact that's almost identical to the start of next season of 24. But I do like the concept of him being pulled back in.

Damn you, Jack Bauer!

Is that the normal TV series or the spin-off film 24: Exile?

#55 double o ego

double o ego

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 09:19 AM

Even though I think this news is BS, I feel like complaining about the matter anyway. :)
NY is such a cliche city to make/base a movie on/in. We've got enough action movies, thrillers and romcoms where NY is the setting, we don't need Bond running around there too. Through out all the locations on this planet, I sincerely hope the producers aren't going to sanction such a lazy move. For crying out loud, we don't even have Bond carrying out serious investigations in London or anywhere else within the UK for that matter.
If Bond is going to NY, it better be for a quick pit stop and then hauls his :( out of there to a more deserving and inconspicuous locale(s).

#56 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 09:20 AM

Damn you, Jack Bauer!

I've just noticed that to be fair, even though there are similarities, they're probably not so strong that it would affect the storyline being used for Bond. In 24, it's predominantly in the season prequel (now titled 24: REDEMPTION) really.
Spoiler

#57 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 09:20 AM

Well, to add more urine onto the fire, I've searched around the web and can find no evidence that "I, Lucifer" is filming, in NYC or anywhere else.

Who wants to bet that Liz Smith or one of her lackeys just looked up Craig on the imdb, saw that "I Lucifer" is apparently next on his list (its been there for about two years now) and threw that in just to pad out a non-story?

#58 doubler83

doubler83

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 09:26 AM

Damn you, Jack Bauer!

I've just noticed that to be fair, even though there are similarities, they're probably not so strong that it would affect the storyline being used for Bond. In 24, it's predominantly in the season prequel (now titled 24: REDEMPTION) really.
Spoiler

Sounds very interesting.

#59 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 10:15 AM

I am not sold on using the '007 in New York' title, but I'd love Bond to visit New York City in a future film.

#60 YOLT

YOLT

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1533 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 10:24 AM

I would have preferred Bond going to Scotland or Switzerland, where he has relatives. Being a security guard isnt a good idea.