83 replies to this topic

#1 ImTheMoneypenny

ImTheMoneypenny

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 12:03 AM

I've been enjoying everyone's fan-fic that I've read. It's really good stuff. Very good in fact. It's sort of daunting.

Anyway so I've been working on a little Bond adventure of my own. I'm going by Fleming's Bond, no continuation novels, honestly there's so many to take into account. So KISS 'keep it simple stupid' for me. :tup: Yes, no blond Bond here either. :)

One of the elements I had found interesting about DMC was the female Double-O in the 60's. What I didn't like was the set up. I don't want to get your hopes up, this won't be a Scarlett fan-fic. :tup: It's for sure a Bond story only with a different female Double-O, Diana Everest, though Bond doesn't appear until chapter three. I've been working steadily and am up well into chapter 4 heading towards chapter 5. I won't begin posting until I have enough under my belt so you don't have too much downtime.

Sorry I am rambling. This is my first time with fan-fic. I've been writing since I was 17, I'm *cough* 32 *cough*, but I haven't done anything like this. I hope I don't do it wrong. :D

Here's a small, very small, taste of Destroying Angel.

“Hello, Bond.” Everest said. She had a cold way of simply calling him by his surname. Bond pulled his stare off Miss Bliss’ blissful backside and planted it on Diana’s rather angelic face. Perhaps it was the warm yellow glow of the reading lamp beside her that made her features look so virtuous. He knew from experience she was hardly the angelic type.

“Why Miss Everest do you ever rest?” Bond quipped leaning against the door jamb. He folded his arms casually. Diana tilted her head curiously as if waiting for more. “So I suppose you know M-”

“Moneypenny rang me up a little while ago, said I was to have a meeting with M this afternoon. Now you turn up. Bond, you wouldn’t happen to know about all this, would you?” she got right to the point.

Thanks. Please be kind, it's my first! :(

#2 Joyce Carrington

Joyce Carrington

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4631 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 09:53 AM

...I haven't done anything like this. I hope I don't do it wrong. :tup:

I wouldn't worry about that. The most important thing is that you have fun writing. No one's going to enjoy your writing if you don't. This is your story. Just take it wherever you want to take it. :tup:

#3 ImTheMoneypenny

ImTheMoneypenny

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 11:10 AM

...I haven't done anything like this. I hope I don't do it wrong. :)

I wouldn't worry about that. The most important thing is that you have fun writing. No one's going to enjoy your writing if you don't. This is your story. Just take it wherever you want to take it. :tup:

Thanks, I am enjoying it! :tup: It is fun taking a swing at Bond and doing the dialogue. I think I came up with a pretty Fleming-worthy villain. I love doing the research, and trying to capture the feel of the era. It doesn't hurt that I happen to have a big collection of National Geographic Magazines from the 60's for inspiration! And of course your Off Balance has given me inspiration too! :(

#4 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 02:45 PM

Welcome ImTheMoneypenny. I look forward to reading your work. From the teaser it looks quite good! I've written 2 FanFiction Bond stories myself (Yeah I'm a wannabe writer too) and know exactly what you are feeling, but don't worry mate, the fact that you love writing what you are writing and you genuinely put the effort and dedication into it is all that counts. Personally I really wish I could write like JIM but unfortunately I can't. Having said that, I like creating the story in my head and try as hard as I can to make it as readable as possible. Good luck and again look forward to reading your work (After I finnish JIM's JUST ANOTHER KILL

Harry Fawkes :tup:

#5 ImTheMoneypenny

ImTheMoneypenny

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 03:48 PM

Welcome ImTheMoneypenny. I look forward to reading your work. From the teaser it looks quite good! I've written 2 FanFiction Bond stories myself (Yeah I'm a wannabe writer too) and know exactly what you are feeling, but don't worry mate, the fact that you love writing what you are writing and you genuinely put the effort and dedication into it is all that counts. Personally I really wish I could write like JIM but unfortunately I can't. Having said that, I like creating the story in my head and try as hard as I can to make it as readable as possible. Good luck and again look forward to reading your work (After I finnish JIM's JUST ANOTHER KILL

Harry Fawkes :tup:

Thanks! I'm looking forward to troubleshooter btw. :( I am having a good time. I think because I've heard horror stories about people who write other fan-fics genres where they get verbally ripped to shreds by other writers, it made me a bit wary. Which I'm very glad I haven't seen once here! That helped me decide to dip my toe in the water. I've finally finished up a novel ( SIS officer of my own :tup:) I think is good enough, to send to a publisher. I hate having down time so diving into some Bond writing has been just the thing for me. It's relaxing in a sort of way. I was just nervous about how people would accept it. I'm glad I was worried for nothing.

Now I'm going to check out Jim. So many writers and so many are so good! Haven't read a single thing that wasn't. There is a lot of heart in these efforts which shows through.

#6 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 04:48 PM

Cheers ImTheMoneyPenny! I'm looking forward to it. Have fun with your writing!
And please, let us know about this other SIS officer of yours when time comes :tup:

#7 ImTheMoneypenny

ImTheMoneypenny

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 05:28 PM

Cheers ImTheMoneyPenny! I'm looking forward to it. Have fun with your writing!
And please, let us know about this other SIS officer of yours when time comes :tup:

Thanks! I'm working on Destroying Angel right now. I'm hoping to have something up this next week, before I go house sit (no internet! AAHHHHHRRGGHHH!) for two weeks then I'll be back with more!

My boyfriend is reading the manuscript of my novel right now so far he's loving it and he's the blunt type he'd tell me if it wasn't any good. He's also given me tips on men shaving and other various manly topics, I needed clued up on. It's the first thing I've ever written that I felt confident I could send it off. It's taken me two years to write it. My SIS officer is called 'Sonny Baron' it's a name passed down with this position, so the men (there are ten, each one different with their own ways.) who take on the name lose their identity until they either die with their boots on or get reluctantly promoted. This book is about the 10th one just promoted who screws up really bad and nearly loses the job, but instead has to work for a sister agency with hopes of returning to the SIS.

Though I don't read horror novels anymore I read a lot as a teenager, and so I sort of mixed my genres it's a thriller, crime/spy novel with a good humour and a decent dose of horror. I did the main writing, my sister helped me tidy it up as well, so we share credit under one name. Perhaps one day if you're passing through a bookstore you might find a bizarre paperback about 'Her Majesty's Monster Killer', called Sonny Baron by a 'chap' called 'Flynn Bogarde' that'll be me. :tup:

Sorry off thread, back to DA! I just put some polishing touches on a part and am heading into the thick of the mission! Next stop chapter five!

#8 ImTheMoneypenny

ImTheMoneypenny

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 12:00 PM

Here's a new teaser. The story is moving along at a good clip now, so I think I can begin posting soon. :tup:

Spoiler

#9 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 02:21 PM

I liked what I've read so far (only read the teaser in the opening post because I didn't want to spoil any of the story before it was posted). It's very good, though, and I look forward to reading it once you post it. :tup:

#10 ImTheMoneypenny

ImTheMoneypenny

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 02:59 PM

Thanks! It's shaping up fast now that I found my way. :tup:

#11 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 03:44 PM

I've read your extracts, and I like your tone! Have a good time writing!

Though I don't read horror novels anymore I read a lot as a teenager, and so I sort of mixed my genres it's a thriller, crime/spy novel with a good humour and a decent dose of horror.

Sounds like a very interesting mix to me! :tup:

#12 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 04:09 PM

Nice teaser!
I like your style of writing ImTheMoneypenny. From what I've read it flows beautifully. (This Diana Everest, she seems very strong minded and resourceful; intriguing I must say. Has Bond finally met his match?)
Yep, I can't wait to read the novel which is going to give me a very relaxing and much needed break from writing my first 5 chapters.

Harry Fawkes MRQ

#13 ImTheMoneypenny

ImTheMoneypenny

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 01:56 AM

I've read your extracts, and I like your tone! Have a good time writing!

Though I don't read horror novels anymore I read a lot as a teenager, and so I sort of mixed my genres it's a thriller, crime/spy novel with a good humour and a decent dose of horror.

Sounds like a very interesting mix to me! :tup:

:( Thanks! This is the first time I've ever really stuck my neck out on the chopping block. It's a relief to find that there won't be a hatchet falling. I think I've found my niche. My boyfriend has started using words he's read in my novel, I caught him saying 'nicked' one day, which he'd never said before. And he's been doodling some of the monsters and of course the hero too.

Anyway back to DA. I just finished up chapter five. I'm really have fun now! I was worried but now I'm feeling pretty good about my writing. I used to post stories at my blog but my friends there couldn't be bothered to read them because they didn't understand 'all that spy stuff'. Which always made me wonder if I was a terrible writer. Plus I love talking to other writers. I like to see other people bring pride into their art and do it well, and I've found that here at CBn. There are so many true word smiths here, and it makes me happy.

I think the wait to start posting may be shorter than I thought. :tup:

#14 ImTheMoneypenny

ImTheMoneypenny

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 02:08 AM

Nice teaser!
I like your style of writing ImTheMoneypenny. From what I've read it flows beautifully. (This Diana Everest, she seems very strong minded and resourceful; intriguing I must say. Has Bond finally met his match?)
Yep, I can't wait to read the novel which is going to give me a very relaxing and much needed break from writing my first 5 chapters.

Harry Fawkes MRQ

Much appreciated! :) Like I said to MkB, I've never shown anyone my writing before other than friends who never read it. :( So this has been an exciting adventure for me! :tup: I soaked up the Fleming as I write, hopefully not in the Faulks way LOL. I wanted to capture the feel of an old Fleming Bond story as much as I could.

Thank you again. I wanted Diana Everest to be strong and capable, not too much, just strong enough to give Bond a run for his money. I hope she comes across as a good example of a Bond girl.

I think I am going to begin posting right away. I'm on Chapter 6 and I have a feel for where the story is going I even came up with the ending already. :tup: I'll be stuck for ten days with no internet starting next Sunday, house and dog sitting, so I'll give you all plenty to read and by the time I come back I'll have probably have the story wrapped up!

#15 ImTheMoneypenny

ImTheMoneypenny

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 02:39 AM

Okay first chapter is up! I don't know how to put a link to it, sorry.

Enjoy! Thanks for your support!

#16 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 09:28 AM

Just got up. Horrible hangover and the heat is awful here. Got on line to see if there was anything new (not to mention to get my usual CommanderBond.net daily fix) and I find TWO BIRDS.

WOW! Now that is what I call writing! What a woman Diana Everest is I must say. And I didn't see Duran's death coming.

ImTheMoneypenny is all I can say is GIVE US MORE, GIRL DEAR; MORE OF THE SAME!

Well bloody done - You've got me hooked!

#17 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 09:49 AM

Extremely interesting; keep it going.

#18 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 02:09 PM

Just read the first chapter, and very much appreciated!
MORE MORE MORE! :tup:

#19 ImTheMoneypenny

ImTheMoneypenny

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 02:18 PM

Just got up. Horrible hangover and the heat is awful here. Got on line to see if there was anything new (not to mention to get my usual CommanderBond.net daily fix) and I find TWO BIRDS.

WOW! Now that is what I call writing! What a woman Diana Everest is I must say. And I didn't see Duran's death coming.

ImTheMoneypenny is all I can say is GIVE US MORE, GIRL DEAR; MORE OF THE SAME!

Well bloody done - You've got me hooked!

Thank you! :( I hope that big bang didn't make your hangover worse :tup: The first chapter is always the toughest! The next few won't be that explosive, :tup: but I hope they'll be just as interesting. I have enough chapters that I'll be able to every night post for a week, so the last one must be savored because I'll be gone for a couple weeks and when I come back I will start posting again.

Extremely interesting; keep it going.

Thank you very much Jim. :D I'd love to read your Just Another Kill, but the adobe and Vista won't cooperate. :D I feel like I'm missing out on a lot of great writing!

Just read the first chapter, and very much appreciated!
MORE MORE MORE! :)

:) Again thank you! I am certainly relaxing now! Everyone has been so kind. It is much appreciated by me. I will post Chapter 2 tonight! It's called 'The Lady for the Tigress'. I have fun coming up with titles as you can see. :)

#20 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 02:21 PM

I will post Chapter 2 tonight! It's called 'The Lady for the Tigress'. I have fun coming up with titles as you can see. :tup:

... which is very "Fleming" of you! :tup:

#21 ImTheMoneypenny

ImTheMoneypenny

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 02:36 PM

I will post Chapter 2 tonight! It's called 'The Lady for the Tigress'. I have fun coming up with titles as you can see. :tup:

... which is very "Fleming" of you! :(

:tup: He was very inspirational with titles. I have more dandies coming up!

#22 ImTheMoneypenny

ImTheMoneypenny

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 11:09 PM

Okay I just submitted Chapter 2, so I hope it is put up tonight, but tomorrow is cool. :tup: It's a short one.

I don't know how long I should wait to submit the chapters, I'll see how long it takes. I understand the moderators have much to do here and in real life so I'm not in a big hurry. :( I just want to get as much up as fast as possible for everyone to enjoy while I'm gone.

I'm working on chapter 6 right now! Bond's met his baddie! :tup:

Here's another teaser from chapter 4. . .

Spoiler

#23 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 03:56 AM

New addition up now!

#24 ImTheMoneypenny

ImTheMoneypenny

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 11:56 AM

New addition up now!

Thanks Qwerty! Hurray! Enjoy everyone!

#25 ImTheMoneypenny

ImTheMoneypenny

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 06:24 PM

I'll be submitting chapter 3 today Bond makes his first appearance. Poor Mods just when they they thought they could take a breather. . Anyway so when they have a chance to get that post up, you'll have a good bit to chew on until I come back. :tup:

Edited by ImTheMoneypenny, 03 July 2008 - 11:56 AM.

#26 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 05:51 PM

Well done. I like it even more. Waiting for Chapter three now.

#27 ImTheMoneypenny

ImTheMoneypenny

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 08:01 PM

Well done. I like it even more. Waiting for Chapter three now.

Thanks! Fingers crossed it'll drop before Sunday night. But it's fine if it posts while I'm gone. I'll try to get my mobile phone activated, it's the sort with the full keyboard and all that fun stuff so I can do internet. If at all possible I'll pop over here whenever I can.

I hope chapter three lives up to expectations! :tup:

#28 Harry Fawkes

Harry Fawkes

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2229 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 06:42 PM

I'm sure it will. I'm looking forward to more of Diana Everest! My kind of girl.

#29 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 09:10 PM

Finally read chapter 2, and I liked it!
I hope you'll successfully fiddle about with your phone, and keep us posted! :tup:

#30 ImTheMoneypenny

ImTheMoneypenny

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 11:36 PM

I'm sure it will. I'm looking forward to more of Diana Everest! My kind of girl.

Now Bond gets to take over, which I think is a little fun since now that we've met Diana and know what she's like, we get to see her through Bond's eyes. I sort of thought a lot of Tatiana, in FRWL, when I wrote it. I liked how we got to see her life before her adventure with Bond. My own little tribute to that. :tup:

Thanks for reading! :(

Finally read chapter 2, and I liked it!
I hope you'll successfully fiddle about with your phone, and keep us posted! :)

Thanks for reading! :D I'm going out tomorrow to one of the cellular places and get a plan. I'll need one because where I'm staying they have no phone either! It'll be me with a young rottweiler named Rocky, with a broken leg, all day during the week, then my friend's daughter and grandson will be home week nights, I'm on my own weekends. I'll miss my CBn. I know I won't be able to submit new stuff but I'll keep you posted on my progress. And I'll be taking my Bond films to watch all day! :tup:

I leave Sunday night.