322 replies to this topic

#301 Automan

Automan

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 210 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 02:52 PM

Agree, after the success of Goldfinger, Thunderball just rode along using all the right ingredents.
and wht do you know it worked

#302 Mr. Somerset

Mr. Somerset

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1760 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 05:48 PM

I love Thunderball as well. It's always been one of my favorites. Really for me the first four films defined my love for the series when I was a kid, although Moore was the first Bond I saw. Thunderball is the last film which seems to truely inhabit the era and world of Ian Fleming. Afterwards times changed greatly and Bond went along with it. Also, it's the last time Sean seemed as fit (with the exception of NSNA). I couldn't picture the Sean of DAF in many of the types of scenes that appear in TB.
I've also always been fascinated by the different versions that have been available, with music cue and dialogue changes. Overall TB remains in my top five.

#303 PrinceKamalKhan

PrinceKamalKhan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11139 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 05:06 AM

Prince Kamal Khan, you are spot on - four lovely ladies. How could I have overlooked Molly Peters?

Indeed. I think TB(with OHMSS and MR giving it serious competition in this area) features the most impressive gallery of Bond girls to appear in a single Bond film.

I love Thunderball as well. It's always been one of my favorites. Really for me the first four films defined my love for the series when I was a kid, although Moore was the first Bond I saw. Thunderball is the last film which seems to truely inhabit the era and world of Ian Fleming. Afterwards times changed greatly and Bond went along with it.

B) Agreed, Mr. Somerset. TB was the last hurrah for the world of Ian Fleming's 1950s-early 1960s style elegance. Of the succeeding films, only OHMSS comes close to somewhat recapturing that ambience but by then the more psychadelic, late 1960s mood had taken over. However, the classy early 1960s era was still a recent memory in the minds of the filmmakers and most of the initial OHMSS cinemagoing audience.

Also, it's the last time Sean seemed as fit (with the exception of NSNA). I couldn't picture the Sean of DAF in many of the types of scenes that appear in TB.
I've also always been fascinated by the different versions that have been available, with music cue and dialogue changes. Overall TB remains in my top five.

I prefer the version where Connery quips to the shark something like "Now you can tell about the one who got away" and the end credits which feature Barry's dramatic instrumental of the Bond theme rather than the redo of the James Bond theme.

#304 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 08:45 PM

Watched THUNDERBALL today. (What's a bank holiday without Bond?) My word, but this film looks terrific on Blu-ray.

I'd seen it many a time and oft, of course, but as I luxuriated in its high definition widescreen splendour I was struck for the very first time by just how much of a mammoth logistical and technical accomplishment it must have been back in 1965. The AVATAR of its day, almost. Were Eon to make the same film again today, I imagine it'd cost about four times the budget of QUANTUM OF SOLACE (itself the ninth most expensive flick of all time, allegedly).

But THUNDERBALL is more than a lavish eye-dazzler. As has been mentioned many times, it has a story that's faithful to Fleming, bags of that old-time snobbery and sophistication, and Connery in his prime. What's not to like? Well, it's still overlong, admittedly, but Blu-ray makes the visuals shine so much that - for the first time ever - I didn't want THUNDERBALL to end.

The wonderful thing about the classic Bond films of the '60s is that they're not only good - they also seem better and better as time passes, especially now that Eon is inflicting bottom-of-the-barrel dreck like QUANTUM OF SOLACE on us. I'm supremely confident that I'll still be sitting down to THUNDERBALL in my dotage and that it'll remain good, rollicking entertainment that inspires a slight feeling of awe.

#305 scaramunga

scaramunga

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1083 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 01:40 AM

I'm a huge fan of Thunderball as well. Probably my favorite of the Connery films along with Diamonds. I also agree the blu ray of the film looked very good. The sound was excellent on the blu ray as well.

I don't agree about Quantum of Solace being the bottom of the barrel though. I think it's a good Bond film. There's a lot of things that I find my self appreciating about that one the more I see it.

It will never be a classic like Thunderball, but I think QOS is a good one.

I actually kind of hold 1962-1989 films all together. There was such a different feel and tone starting with Goldeneye, IMO.

Anyway. Two of the highlights for me on Thunderball is the beautiful locales and also one of my favorite music scores of the series.

#306 Mr. Somerset

Mr. Somerset

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1760 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 06:24 PM

Prince Kamal Khan, you are spot on - four lovely ladies. How could I have overlooked Molly Peters?

Indeed. I think TB(with OHMSS and MR giving it serious competition in this area) features the most impressive gallery of Bond girls to appear in a single Bond film.

I love Thunderball as well. It's always been one of my favorites. Really for me the first four films defined my love for the series when I was a kid, although Moore was the first Bond I saw. Thunderball is the last film which seems to truely inhabit the era and world of Ian Fleming. Afterwards times changed greatly and Bond went along with it.

B) Agreed, Mr. Somerset. TB was the last hurrah for the world of Ian Fleming's 1950s-early 1960s style elegance. Of the succeeding films, only OHMSS comes close to somewhat recapturing that ambience but by then the more psychadelic, late 1960s mood had taken over. However, the classy early 1960s era was still a recent memory in the minds of the filmmakers and most of the initial OHMSS cinemagoing audience.

Also, it's the last time Sean seemed as fit (with the exception of NSNA). I couldn't picture the Sean of DAF in many of the types of scenes that appear in TB.

I prefer the version where Connery quips to the shark something like "Now you can tell about the one who got away" and the end credits which feature Barry's dramatic instrumental of the Bond theme rather than the redo of the James Bond theme.

I prefer that version too. Too bad I don't have my old VHS copy. The DR NO Bond theme at the end never sounded like a smooth transition.

#307 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 12:37 AM

Watched THUNDERBALL today. (What's a bank holiday without Bond?) My word, but this film looks terrific on Blu-ray.

I'd seen it many a time and oft, of course, but as I luxuriated in its high definition widescreen splendour I was struck for the very first time by just how much of a mammoth logistical and technical accomplishment it must have been back in 1965. The AVATAR of its day, almost. Were Eon to make the same film again today, I imagine it'd cost about four times the budget of QUANTUM OF SOLACE (itself the ninth most expensive flick of all time, allegedly).

But THUNDERBALL is more than a lavish eye-dazzler. As has been mentioned many times, it has a story that's faithful to Fleming, bags of that old-time snobbery and sophistication, and Connery in his prime. What's not to like? Well, it's still overlong, admittedly, but Blu-ray makes the visuals shine so much that - for the first time ever - I didn't want THUNDERBALL to end.

The wonderful thing about the classic Bond films of the '60s is that they're not only good - they also seem better and better as time passes, especially now that Eon is inflicting bottom-of-the-barrel dreck like QUANTUM OF SOLACE on us. I'm supremely confident that I'll still be sitting down to THUNDERBALL in my dotage and that it'll remain good, rollicking entertainment that inspires a slight feeling of awe.

The power of Blu-ray strikes again!

Good to have you on this side of TB appreciation, Loomis. But aren't you also a fan of NSNA? With your reappraisal of TB, how does NSNA fare in comparison now?

#308 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 08 April 2010 - 06:40 AM

I love Thunderball.

It's a great Connery Bond movie and probably my favourite.

Here are the elements I love about it:-

Connery - although in public he was sick of the role, on the screen he is on top of his game.

Blofeld - the scariest Bond villain, just from his voice. Look how scared Largo is of him!

Largo - a big bear of a man, just like in the novel.

The hijacking plot - realistic and far ahead of its time!

The gunbarrel - in colour and with the actual Bond.

Felix Leiter - back in action.

Fiona Volpe - a very naughty lady!

The underwater battle

The fight with Bouvar in the chateau

The boat chase

Bond's swim with the sharks

Fiona Volpe's motorcycle antics

Who else loves Thunderball? Name your favourite elements of this movie. Please, fans only; let's celebrate this classic film! B)

"Blofeld - the scariest Bond villain, just from his voice. Look how scared Largo is of him!"

Yes, SPECTRE did seem to be a more sinister organisation on screen when we couldn't see who was in charge - just a close up of the back of the head, the lap (and that cat!) and the voice provided by the original Bond villain himself, Joseph Wiseman(at least, I asssume he did the voice in TB - it certainly sounded like him).

I can't help thinking that the Quantum organisation will lose its air of sinister mystique if we are ever shown who the supreme leader is, unless great care is taken as to who is cast. It would be a pity if the audience reaction if the leader is revealed is "sorry, but you are joking!"

#309 Attempting Re-entry

Attempting Re-entry

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 203 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 07:52 PM

I love the totally straight-faced yet over-the-top way in which Largo issues his very precise commands:

"Open underwater hatch!"

"Switch on underwater lights!"

"Lift the tunnel hatch!"

Classic. Not quite laugh out loud as in, "Close the shutters" from the next movie, but I love it nonetheless.

#310 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 08:37 PM

The power of Blu-ray strikes again!

Good to have you on this side of TB appreciation, Loomis. But aren't you also a fan of NSNA? With your reappraisal of TB, how does NSNA fare in comparison now?

I still prefer NSNA as a film, although I haven't seen it on Blu-ray yet - it's unavailable on Blu-ray in this country and I can't be bothered to import it.

However, I daresay that THUNDERBALL, thanks to its painstaking remastering as well its wonderful widescreen compositions, looks far, far better on Blu-ray than NSNA does, so now that I've become a Blu-ray fiend I imagine I'd always prefer to watch THUNDERBALL over NSNA if I had both films on that format.... even though I favour NSNA as a film (!).

Why do I prefer NSNA? A few reasons off the top of my head: NSNA tells a tighter story (it's never bogged down by interminable underwater sequences the way THUNDERBALL is, although said scenes do admittedly look wonderful on Blu-ray), I prefer the humour in NSNA, Klaus Maria Brandauer is a terrific villain, the concept of an ageing Bond is an interesting one....

#311 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 08:40 PM

the concept of an ageing Bond is an interesting one....

Then you'll *love* A View to a Kill!

#312 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 08:45 PM

I do.

#313 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 08:48 PM

I do.

Twenty-five year anniversary coming up, too. Heady days, indeed.
--------

On a less-exalted anniversary note, this year marks 30 years since I first saw Thunderball.

I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but seeing as I'm aging faster than the picture in my avatar...

...with Thunderball I was rather surprised that so many didn't take to the underwater sequences. Maybe it was my boyhood fascination with underwater tales like 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea or Jacques Cousteau documentaries (the Rod Serling-narrated ones) or the fact that I live a mere two miles from the beach, but to this lad once upon a time, Thunderball's underwater battle sequence was tops with me. Still is. Sure, the editing is inconsistent but I still enjoy the epic-sized scale of what has always been my favorite 007 movie.

Edited by Brian Flagg, 24 April 2010 - 08:56 PM.

#314 AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 493 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 02:24 PM

One thing I just noticed - the RAF officer at the conference room explaining the range of the Vulcan bomber sounds exactly like Auric Goldfinger!

#315 bonded56

bonded56

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 410 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 06:16 PM

Thunderball T-shirts are on sale for $6.48 at the on-line Target store and free shipping.   I ordered mine when they were down to $9.00. I should have waited.

http://www.target.co...rt/-/A-15350394 

#316 Professor Pi

Professor Pi

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1430 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 06:56 PM

Thunderball T-shirts are on sale for $6.48 at the on-line Target store and free shipping.   I ordered mine when they were down to $9.00. I should have waited.

http://www.target.co...rt/-/A-15350394

Cool, but I wish the graphic were the octopus ring or Blofeld's cat instead.

#317 ggl

ggl

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 07:13 PM

I'm sure you know this. Best TB page ever: http://www.obsessional.co.uk/

#318 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 01:56 PM

Goldfinger is the iconic one, and I appreciate it. However over the years I've definitely become a Thunderball guy. I think it's largely down to Terrence Young's atmosphere and general tone. A leisurely, luxurious vibe with a worldwide threat lingering in the background. 

Edited by sharpshooter, 17 December 2014 - 01:58 PM.

#319 Trevelyan 006

Trevelyan 006

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 02:39 AM

I've decided that Thunderball is my favorite out of the Connery films...

#320 SPECTRE ASSASSIN

SPECTRE ASSASSIN

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4247 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 07:43 AM

I like Thunderball as well. Definitely in my top 10 Bonds. You can always count on catching some zzz's when watching this film, and I mean that in the nicest way possible. It's directed with flair, and has one of the best casts.

#321 AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

AgenttiNollaNollaSeitsemän

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 493 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 07:51 AM

In my opinion it is weakest of Terence Young's Bond films. Still good, but down a notch from the first two.

#322 Red Wine with Fish

Red Wine with Fish

Recruit

• Crew
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 09:39 PM

If 007 says he saw Derval last night at Shrublands and he was dead, that's enough for me to initiate inquiries.

Edited by Red Wine with Fish, 03 January 2015 - 09:40 PM.

#323 ggl

ggl

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 10:32 AM

If 007 says he saw Derval last night at Shrublands and he was dead, that's enough for me to initiate inquiries.

Those were the days... :rolleyes: :)