322 replies to this topic

#271 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 05:54 AM

I must agree that the scene where the bombs are stolen is too long. I tend to fastforward through that. However, the underwater battle is just right - I find it helps if you closely watch everything that is going on. If you lose track for a second it becomes a bit meaningless and random.

Perhaps I was a bit unfair including the underwater battle within my criticism. You're right, it really does flow well. It's certainly something I havent seen done since.

#272 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 06:28 AM

It's hard to believe the Connery of YOLT is the same Connery of Thunderball. He doesnt even seem to be trying in YOLT.

I know, right? That was the first thing I noticed when watching YOLT for the first time: "Why is Connery so bored? And why is he so fat?"

#273 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:33 AM

He seriously isn't that egregiously terrible in YOLT. He's still Sean Connery, the way some of you go on about it you'd think he was like Bob Dole with Pavarotti's girth.

#274 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 01:37 PM

He seriously isn't that egregiously terrible in YOLT. He's still Sean Connery, the way some of you go on about it you'd think he was like Bob Dole with Pavarotti's girth.

Agreed.

#275 007domanator

007domanator

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 02:41 PM

This movie was great loved it classic bond

every part of it was great

#276 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 09:25 PM

the way some of you go on about it you'd think he was like Bob Dole with Pavarotti's girth.

That's... pretty much the way I see it, actually. B)

#277 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 09:34 AM

Should have gone to Specsavers B)

#278 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 06:51 PM

Should have gone to Specsavers :tdown:

"What sharp little eyes you've got!" B)

#279 Jose

Jose

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1020 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 06:25 AM

Thunderball is my favorite of the Connery films. I don't understand why people refer to it as Thunderbore or some other "witty" variation of the title to reflect how they think it's slow. I think it's a solid film with great fights (and sequences in general), a great story and characters, and Bond at his best. And let's not forget the music which for me is one of the best scores in the entire series, the title is probably the best. And of course, the jetpack.

#280 Bondesque

Bondesque

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 428 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 01:16 AM

TB is in my top 4 (FRWL, CR, TB, OHMSS)
It also has my favorite Bond girl of all time. Claudine is hot!!! Sean was perfect and Largo is what a villain should be. I also love the warm weather locations.

#281 bondrules

bondrules

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2190 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 06:31 PM

It's hard to believe the Connery of YOLT is the same Connery of Thunderball. He doesnt even seem to be trying in YOLT.

My fav Connery performance came in TB. He was tough, witty, dry, and so much more. By the time of YOLT all the mojo was gone.

#282 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 03:25 AM

http://www.rocketman...ncis/index.html

I believe the line is spoken - "Wow it's just like Thunderball!".

#283 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 03:28 AM

I believe the line is spoken - "Wow, it's just like Thunderball!".

Hee-hee! I saw that tonight! :tdown:

They even repeatedly mention Bell Labs (who manufactured the Thunderball jetpack in the first place), and there's a live demonstration of an actual jetpack; we really need more jetpacks in TV shows... B)

#284 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 03:32 AM

They even repeatedly mention Bell Labs (who manufactured the Thunderball jetpack in the first place), and there's a live demonstration of an actual jetpack; we really need more jetpacks in TV shows... B)

Yes, I did even mention a return of it in Bond 23 but with Craig wearing a cooler helmet than that while bowl Connery had on. :tdown:

#285 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 03:38 AM

Yes, I did even mention a return of it in Bond 23 but with Craig wearing a cooler helmet than that white bowl Connery had on. :tdown:

It wasn't white; they painted it brown, at first, hoping that no one would notice it was a helmet when compared to the helmetless shots of Connery launching and landing, but that didn't work, so Connery and a sizable number of crew members had to come back towards the end of the Thunderball shoot and redo the shots, this time with a helmet.

By a fortuitous stroke of luck, however, the helmet matches well with Connery's suit, making it both safe and stylish in the context of Thunderball. :)

#286 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 03:45 AM

Yes, I did even mention a return of it in Bond 23 but with Craig wearing a cooler helmet than that white bowl Connery had on. :tdown:

It wasn't white; they painted it brown, at first, hoping that no one would notice it was a helmet when compared to the helmetless shots of Connery launching and landing, but that didn't work, so Connery and a sizable number of crew members had to come back towards the end of the Thunderball shoot and redo the shots, this time with a helmet.

By a fortuitous stroke of luck, however, the helmet matches well with Connery's suit, making it both safe and stylish in the context of Thunderball. :)

For some reason I thought it was white but find it was trimmed with white.
http://assets.nydail...ets_jetpack.jpg

I'm so embarrassed at my faux pas. I will now self-flagellate.

#287 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 08:02 AM

For some reason I thought it was white but find it was trimmed with white.
http://assets.nydail...ets_jetpack.jpg

I'm so embarrassed at my faux pas. I will now self-flagellate.

Do try to bring yourself back in one piece... B)

#288 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 06:25 PM

http://www.dailymail...scrap-heap.html

World's last flying Vulcan bomber faces £600k repairs... or the scrap heap.

B)

#289 Mark_Hazard

Mark_Hazard

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 11:02 PM

B)

Whilst I love seeing the "tin triangle" in the air, and I'll still be putting my money in the collection barrel, I hope they get enough to keep it going for another few years without having to put the rather large begging bowl out at the start of each new year.

#290 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 01:52 AM

Let's hope SPECTRE doesn't try to steal this one... B)

#291 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 01:53 AM

Let's hope SPECTRE doesn't try to steal this one... :tdown:

Well fortunately if they do, it'll probably fall to bits. B)

Serves them right. Gits. :tdown:

#292 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 02:01 AM

Serves them right. Gits. :tdown:

Indeed... B)

#293 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 02:45 AM

B)

Whilst I love seeing the "tin triangle" in the air, and I'll still be putting my money in the collection barrel, I hope they get enough to keep it going for another few years without having to put the rather large begging bowl out at the start of each new year.

Yes, it'll be up there for me like the Lightning if ever it goes. :tdown: *big sigh*

#294 Mark_Hazard

Mark_Hazard

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 10:01 PM

Yes, it'll be up there for me like the Lightning if ever it goes. B) *big sigh*

Don't think they'll ever get the Lightning past a fast taxi in this country - try South Africa, although since the tragic accident last year, not sure when the remaining one(s) will fly again.

#295 Attempting Re-entry

Attempting Re-entry

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 203 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 03:17 PM

Seeing Fiona's juggs on a 37" HD screen is divine.

I'll bet.

She's the best thing about this movie, for me. Not one of my favourites.

#296 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 09:20 PM

http://www.dailymail...ale-50-000.html

Going up in the world? Beat the rush hour with first commercial jetpack for £50,000

It is the perfect way for city high-fliers to miss the morning rush hour. A company is set to produce the first commercial JETPACKS - and one could be yours for just £50,000.

The traffic jam-beating packs will be manufactured after a multi-million pound deal was signed with an international aircraft company this week.

Martin Aircraft Company, in Christchurch, New Zealand, aims to make 500 packs a year allowing first-person propulsion through the skies for commuters.

Posted Image
The world's first factory making space-age JET PACKS is going into production. It can travel at 60MPH for 30 miles.

The 200 horsepower dual-propeller packs can travel at 60mph for up to 30miles on a full tank of fuel. They have been reached heights of 7,800ft in tests.

At 250lbs when empty, the jet pack is not heavy enough to require a pilot's licence, although users will take part in a Martin Jetpack training programme.

However, the gadget is not environmentally friendly burning 10 gallons of fuel per hour - five times as much as the average car.

The 5ft by 5.5ft device is the brainchild of Kiwi inventor Glenn Martin who unveiled his machine for the first time in July last year.

While jetpacks are traditionally powered by jets of escaping gases, the new device uses a gas engine with two ducted fans to provide lift.

Pitch and roll are controlled by one hand, yaw and the throttle by the other.

Martin Aircraft Company chief executive Richard Lauder said the pack could be perfect for the emergency services, private users and even the military.

Posted Image
You won't need a pilot's licence to fly with this jetpack.

Mr Lauder said: 'This could be life-saving stuff. For us this is an excellent commercial step.'

The device has safety features to combat the inherent dangers of flying through the air. It has both an internal roll cage to protect the pilot from side impact and a a ballistic parachute system that works at low altitudes.

Jetpacks first emerged in science fiction in the 1920s and were tested by the U.S military by the 1960s, but have never 'taken-off' commercially.

Astronauts on the International Space Station wear rocket packs during space walks called a 'Safer.' This can be used in emergencies should they become detached from the station.

#297 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 01 March 2010 - 12:31 AM

Thunderball isn't the perfect Bond film - there's no such thing, they all have flaws - but I am a fan of it. First, it stayed faithful to the novel. Given the circumstances of the novel's creation, it could hardly be otherwise. Connery is at the top of his game, it has three lovely leading ladies, and a sinister villain who is something of a match for Bond.

Secondly, I like its soundtrack. It has a "typical" Bond theme (for its time) that I still enjoy listening to (when I heard "You Know My Name" for the first time I couldn't help thinking of "Thunderball" - faster paced but similar Bond or Bond adversary against the world lyrics). It has a great alternate theme tune in "Mr Kiss Kiss Bang Bang". And the best arrangement of John Barry's "007" theme, used to great effect during the underwater battle.

#298 Lachesis

Lachesis

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 394 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 12:47 PM

Thunderball isn't the perfect Bond film - there's no such thing, they all have flaws - but I am a fan of it. First, it stayed faithful to the novel. Given the circumstances of the novel's creation, it could hardly be otherwise. Connery is at the top of his game, it has three lovely leading ladies, and a sinister villain who is something of a match for Bond.

Secondly, I like its soundtrack. It has a "typical" Bond theme (for its time) that I still enjoy listening to (when I heard "You Know My Name" for the first time I couldn't help thinking of "Thunderball" - faster paced but similar Bond or Bond adversary against the world lyrics). It has a great alternate theme tune in "Mr Kiss Kiss Bang Bang". And the best arrangement of John Barry's "007" theme, used to great effect during the underwater battle.

Agreed ^^

I would concede the film is kinda lesuirely compared to the earlier films, but it embodies style and class in every frame. Connery is at his absolute peak, managing to be cold, ruthless, dangerous, threatened yet threatening by turn this time with a surprisingly gentle romanticism in his dealings with Domino imo. While you can look at the stealing of the bombs sequence as overlong its very much the pattern with Fleming that he makes a lot of effort to make something incredible seem credible..this film is doing much the same (later films buy pace by taking your 'buy in' for granted), gadgets abound here but all of them are treated with utmost respect and conviction, characters are diverse and well developed, the locations are sumptuous and beautifully framed...it is perhaps the most literal film in the entire series.

#299 PrinceKamalKhan

PrinceKamalKhan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11139 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 08:28 PM

Agreed. Except I would say it has four lovely leading ladies: Domino, Paula, Pat and especially Fiona.

I would concede the film is kinda lesuirely compared to the earlier films, but it embodies style and class in every frame. Connery is at his absolute peak, managing to be cold, ruthless, dangerous, threatened yet threatening by turn this time with a surprisingly gentle romanticism in his dealings with Domino imo. While you can look at the stealing of the bombs sequence as overlong its very much the pattern with Fleming that he makes a lot of effort to make something incredible seem credible..this film is doing much the same (later films buy pace by taking your 'buy in' for granted), gadgets abound here but all of them are treated with utmost respect and conviction, characters are diverse and well developed, the locations are sumptuous and beautifully framed...it is perhaps the most literal film in the entire series.

Agreed. Connery's TB performance is IMHO the ultimate James Bond performance in the series. An argument can be made that Dalton or Craig are better actors from a pure thespian standpoint, but Connery in TB exudes a superconfidence and machismo that has never been replicated. The man definitively is Bond in his 4th turn at bat.

I would say TB is the only Bond film to manage to be faithful to its literary source (like DN, FRWL and OHMSS), contain Terence Young's stylish touch (like DN & FRWL) and combine those 2 elements with the epic, Panavision larger-than-life "feel" of the later films. Only OHMSS, TLD and CR have come close to that type of combo since then for me but I give TB the edge because of both Connery and Young. Hence, even though some other films might have better stories or be a little tighter, TB usually receives my vote for best Bond film overall.

#300 Guy Haines

Guy Haines

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3075 posts
  • Location:"Special envoy" no more. As of 7/5/15 elected to office somewhere in Nottinghamshire, England.

Posted 02 March 2010 - 11:56 PM

Agreed. Except I would say it has four lovely leading ladies: Domino, Paula, Pat and especially Fiona.

Agreed. Connery's TB performance is IMHO the ultimate James Bond performance in the series. An argument can be made that Dalton or Craig are better actors from a pure thespian standpoint, but Connery in TB exudes a superconfidence and machismo that has never been replicated. The man definitively is Bond in his 4th turn at bat.

I would say TB is the only Bond film to manage to be faithful to its literary source (like DN, FRWL and OHMSS), contain Terence Young's stylish touch (like DN & FRWL) and combine those 2 elements with the epic, Panavision larger-than-life "feel" of the later films. Only OHMSS, TLD and CR have come close to that type of combo since then for me but I give TB the edge because of both Connery and Young. Hence, even though some other films might have better stories or be a little tigher, TB usually receives my vote for best Bond film overall.

Prince Kamal Khan, you are spot on - four lovely ladies. How could I have overlooked Molly Peters?