130 replies to this topic

#31 blueman

blueman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2219 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 07:25 PM

One could argue having Blofeld is almost needed for Craig's Bond: where does Bond direct his Vesper-loss hatred post-CR? In the books it went towards SMERSH. The filmmakers have to create a new focus for Bond's ire (why go to all the trouble to create that backstory/motivation, just to let it go?)...so why not a reinvented Blofeld?

Bond will be hating on some person/organization in Bond 22/beyond. I can see it being a new-look Blofeld.

#32 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 07:27 PM

Von Sydow is certainly a more credible source than most. I'd put better than 50% odds on him being correct.

#33 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 07:30 PM

I don't think this is a mistake...Max von Sydow is very fluent in English and played Blofeld in NSNA. Heck, he was offered to be Dr. No in 1962. He knows how to say "Bond Villain" or "main villain" in English.

Nobody said he didn't. But, for all we know, Von Sydow might just think Blofeld's the villain in every Bond film. So, when he hears Amalric is playing the villain in the next film, he might just be assuming he's playing Blofeld.

Time will tell. But it's the best kept secret in Hollywood, if they've got hold of the rights to SPECTRE, and nobody's heard about it before.

#34 HH007

HH007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1833 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 07:35 PM

Well, if this is true, then Barbara Broccoli is probably making arrangements to have Von Sydow assassinated as we speak. :D

#35 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 07:50 PM

I don't think this is a mistake...Max von Sydow is very fluent in English and played Blofeld in NSNA. Heck, he was offered to be Dr. No in 1962. He knows how to say "Bond Villain" or "main villain" in English.

Nobody said he didn't. But, for all we know, Von Sydow might just think Blofeld's the villain in every Bond film. So, when he hears Amalric is playing the villain in the next film, he might just be assuming he's playing Blofeld.

Time will tell. But it's the best kept secret in Hollywood, if they've got hold of the rights to SPECTRE, and nobody's heard about it before.

Blofeld doesn't have to equal SPECTRE... could keep the organisation nameless.

#36 triviachamp

triviachamp

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1400 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 07:52 PM

Whoa! :D

I'm not sure what to think of this. Either Von Sydow is mistaken or he has let something big slip out. Or this could be a joke of some sort...

I recall Shrublands pointing out McClory's plan to sell his rights before his death. I suppose EON could have bought it and kept it secret, after all hardly anyone is aware that Cubby bought Harry's share of Danjaq around 1986.

If Von Sydow is right then...urm. It'll be nice to have a Blofeld who is not Dr. Evil but it does sound like they may have run out of ideas....

#37 WC

WC

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1415 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 07:53 PM

I wish Max Von Sydow played an official version of Blofeld. :D Or at least a Bond villain. I wonder if it's too late for him now?

#38 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 07:55 PM

I think he's a bit too old for that now.

#39 blueman

blueman

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2219 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 07:55 PM

That would be fine, also more realistic to go with CR's new-Bond tone.

#40 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 07:58 PM

True. But I'd be surprised if McClory's estate agreed to sell off their biggest player without the rest of it.

#41 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 07:59 PM

Blofeld could even be nameless. Or, even, renamed.

#42 Zorin Industries

Zorin Industries

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5634 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 08:34 PM

BLOFELD coming back - if that really is something we are to expect - would not be a bad thing. It has the makings of a villainous element that doesn't have to be shoe-horned into new Bond. Time will tell.

#43 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 09:30 PM

If Blofeld is really back, that's a fascinating turn of events.

#44 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 09:46 PM

If Blofeld is really back, that's a fascinating turn of events.

To put it mildly.

#45 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 10:04 PM

Yeah I'm thinking that Almaric's character could be a true interpretation of Fleming's Blofeld, only with a new name. Just using the name Blofeld will remind everyone of other movies, so its better to call him something else. Blofeld rebooted, if you like. I love the idea of a four film arc leading up to a true adaptation of YOLT in 2012!

#46 Mr Malcolm

Mr Malcolm

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 03:00 AM

Yeah I'm thinking that Almaric's character could be a true interpretation of Fleming's Blofeld, only with a new name. Just using the name Blofeld will remind everyone of other movies, so its better to call him something else. Blofeld rebooted, if you like. I love the idea of a four film arc leading up to a true adaptation of YOLT in 2012!

Guntram Shatterhand perhaps? :D

Although I actually don't think it would matter that much to have him called Blofeld. I think the general public's pretty much forgotten him, so we wouldn't have to worry about him being compared unfavourably to Donald Pleasance et. al.

#47 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 03:30 AM

I really don't see a problem with Blofeld coming back, or SPECTRE for that matter. I'll probably get raked over the coals for this, but after reading the books, IMO Blofeld was mishandled in his original movie appearances. If he is handled more like his appearances in the TB and YOLT novels, I think he could be a good villain for Bond 22, and the Dr. Evil comparisons would cease.

If you look at the films FRWL and TB, Blofeld really isn't mishandled. Note he's wearing a business suit and tie on both occasions. It's with YOLT that things got a little wacky with the nehru jacket, etc.

#48 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 03:55 AM

I really don't see a problem with Blofeld coming back, or SPECTRE for that matter. I'll probably get raked over the coals for this, but after reading the books, IMO Blofeld was mishandled in his original movie appearances. If he is handled more like his appearances in the TB and YOLT novels, I think he could be a good villain for Bond 22, and the Dr. Evil comparisons would cease.

If you look at the films FRWL and TB, Blofeld really isn't mishandled. Note he's wearing a business suit and tie on both occasions. It's with YOLT that things got a little wacky with the nehru jacket, etc.

Indeed; what was Lewis Gilbert thinking? :D

#49 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 04:52 AM

Blofeld didn't wear a Nehru jacket until OHMSS. Dr. No wore one before that, though.

Blofeld's costume in You Only Live Twice was probably based on a Russian military tunic. The sort of thing Stalin and Chairman Mao used to prance around in.

#50 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 04:53 AM

[quote name='Shrublands' post='802366' date='4 December 2007 - 01:12'][quote name='Mr. Blofeld' post='802359' date='3 December 2007 - 13:59']EON would have to get the rights to SPECTRE from the McClory estate first, though... :D[/quote]

How do we know they haven

#51 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 05:12 AM

Well, Dr. No had wore one before...

#52 Shrublands

Shrublands

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4012 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 11:21 AM

I think he is much more mishandled in the otherwise fantastic OHMSS, having Blofeld skiing down mountains shouting things like

#53 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 01:59 PM

[quote name='Shrublands' post='802846' date='4 December 2007 - 06:21'][quote name='Mr. Blofeld' post='802750' date='4 December 2007 - 03:55'][quote name='Napoleon Solo' post='802744' date='3 December 2007 - 22:30'][quote name='HawkEye007' post='802352' date='3 December 2007 - 13:23']I really don't see a problem with Blofeld coming back, or SPECTRE for that matter. I'll probably get raked over the coals for this, but after reading the books, IMO Blofeld was mishandled in his original movie appearances. If he is handled more like his appearances in the TB and YOLT novels, I think he could be a good villain for Bond 22, and the Dr. Evil comparisons would cease.[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think he is much more mishandled in the otherwise fantastic OHMSS, having Blofeld skiing down mountains shouting things like

#54 triviachamp

triviachamp

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1400 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 08:53 PM

Blofeld didn't wear a Nehru jacket until OHMSS. Dr. No wore one before that, though.

I don't remember that.... Are you thinking of DAF?

#55 Red Barchetta

Red Barchetta

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1161 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 08:59 PM

If done correctly, an updated Blofeld could be very much welcomed in Bond 22.

Maybe don't mention Blofeld by name, make him nameless for 22, and then expose him in 23?

Could be a great lift if done right.

And SPECTRE is still a great name for a terrorist organization!

#56 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 09:44 PM

I don't remember that.... Are you thinking of DAF?

I might have started this. I was thinking of Donald Pleasance in You Only Live Twice (Telly Savalas and Charles Gray wore similar clothing). If "Nehru jacket" is the wrong phrasing, I apologize. But until YOLT, Blofeld was only seen in ordinary suits.

#57 Mr. Du Pont

Mr. Du Pont

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 132 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 10:08 PM

Royal Dalton is exactly right. Max von Sydow clearly meant Amalric is the new villain. It's just like saying "Christopher Lee is the Blofeld of The Man With The Golden Gun."

Mind you, I'd love to see a faithful adaptation of Fleming's Blofeld in future films, but it simply isn't going to happen. Sorry, but I'd bet my life's savings that you've all misinterpreted this quote.

#58 WC

WC

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1415 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 12:57 AM

Royal Dalton is exactly right. Max von Sydow clearly meant Amalric is the new villain. It's just like saying "Christopher Lee is the Blofeld of The Man With The Golden Gun."

Mind you, I'd love to see a faithful adaptation of Fleming's Blofeld in future films, but it simply isn't going to happen. Sorry, but I'd bet my life's savings that you've all misinterpreted this quote.

But as someone else pointed out, Max von Sydow is fluent in English and it's not like he doesn't know the word "villain". Also, whoever says of Christopher Lee that he is "the Blofeld" of TMWTGG? I don't think people have ever really referred to other Bond villains in that vein. I'm sure no-one would say Elektra King was the Blofeld of TWINE or Le Chiffe was the Blofeld of CR. That's just stretching things and the interpretation of Sydow's words.

So either Sydow is mistaken - in which case he either thinks Blofeld is the recurring villain still, or he knows something about the plot. I don't think he would, on the other hand, mix up the word Blofeld for villain or refer to other adversaries in that way.

#59 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 01:07 AM

Also, whoever says of Christopher Lee that he is "the Blofeld" of TMWTGG?

Yeah, I've heard that before. It's like when you see a bad guy in a TV series - people of a certain age (over 30) have been known to say "he's the JR of the show" or "he's the Darth Vader of this show".

Anyway, I think maybe von Sydow may have meant that there is a Blofeld-style villain in Bond 22.

#60 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 01:11 AM

Also, whoever says of Christopher Lee that he is "the Blofeld" of TMWTGG?

Yeah, I've heard that before. It's like when you see a bad guy in a TV series - people of a certain age (over 30) have been known to say "he's the JR of the show" or "he's the Darth Vader of this show".

Anyway, I think maybe von Sydow may have meant that there is a Blofeld-style villain in Bond 22.

Perhaps, perhaps... :D