Flashbacks of a Fool (2008)

111 replies to this topic

#91 lavabubble

lavabubble

Recruit

• Crew
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 02:13 PM

I personally didn't rate this film and having seen a lot of Daniel Craig's pre-Bond films I'd agree that he did this as a favour for a friend.

I thought it was a weak script and ended up more like a long music video. Totally agree also that it was DC's role that made the whole thing somewhere near watchable, other than him I thought it was pretty weak.

#92 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 02:39 PM

Almost forgot this came out on DVD in the US this past week. Must go check it out.

Straight to DVD? Good grief. The billion dollar Bond doesn't even rate a US arthouse showing?

#93 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 09:30 PM

Watched this last night and I enjoyed it. Good film. :(

#94 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 01:41 AM

1. Should have been called FLASHBACK (no S) OF A FOOL
2. I was hoping there would be no flashbacks in this film, heeehee :(
3. The scene w/ the Naval Contact Mine was freakin' brutal!
4. I enjoyed it. Quite!

#95 Cody

Cody

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1393 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 02:06 AM

I thought it was pretty good.

#96 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 02:50 AM

Almost forgot this came out on DVD in the US this past week. Must go check it out.

Straight to DVD? Good grief. The billion dollar Bond doesn't even rate a US arthouse showing?

I know. It's a shame.

#97 dee-bee-five

dee-bee-five

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2227 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 03:47 PM

I saw this over Christmas and enjoyed it much better than I was expecting. Craig's the main reason to watch, of course, but the lad playing him as a teenager was excellent, too.

#98 ImTheMoneypenny

ImTheMoneypenny

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 08:47 PM

Loved this movie! I immediately loaned it to my best friend with two words "Alpaca rug.". The guy has a thing for super plush white shag rugs and seventies decor, this movie was made for him. BTW he loved the Malibu house as well.

This movie made me feel really nostalgic for my glam records and had to put them on immediately, especially Roxy M and Ziggy. My best friend loved Flashbacks, he and his brothers watched it. They are Craig's age (triplets. yeah it's true I'm a twin who hangs with a triplet, go figure!)and three of the most brutally honest sarcastic movie goers you'd ever want to laugh your way through a movie with.. Anyway, they liked it better than Craig's Bonds! :) He said it might be because they're getting old. :( I think it's because he and his brothers were popular with the older gals when they were in their teens so a lot of Flashback struck a chord with them.

But anyway, my favourite scene has nothing to do with Craig, but the "If There Is Something" scene. :)

This was a very entertaining movie. Thoroughly enjoyed it! It's high on my Craig movie list.

#99 AgentBentley

AgentBentley

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 03:13 PM

I just saw the poster and trailer for this movie today. Never heard of it before, and the trailer didn't seem attractive to me.

Rich bloke in white villa on top of cliff, a visitor shouting at him, and then flashbacks of this young kid meeting women and dressing up as one, and then leaving village.

It left me wondering what kind of movie this was, but now I've been reading your comments and the stuff on IMDB, I know it's not even his newest movie. Defiance isn't even out here yet.

#100 Born_again_Bond

Born_again_Bond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 06:21 PM

I think that you will find that if only one person saw this movie, Daniel Craig would class this as a success, there are some actors who enjoy their craft enough to take on projects that interests them and which they know will not have global appeal.

Daniel is one of those people who is willing to give others the opportunity to showcase their talent by utlising his fame to put back something into the profession he loves.

Maybe. But I wonder if he'd have said yes to this film if it hadn't been written by one of his mates?

More than likely, I don't think Daniel would string someone along just because their a friend. I'ts quite refreshing to come across someone who has integrity who does not drop or forget frienships and promises now that he is "famous".

You're hit the nail on the head I think. It's those qualities which make his other non-Hollywood stuff so interesting and enduring.

#101 Jeff007

Jeff007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 03:25 AM

Just got around to renting it today and I enjoyed the film. Daniel does an excellent job once again. I'm really liking the one song in the movie, "If There Is Something".

Must watch for Craig fans.

#102 ImTheMoneypenny

ImTheMoneypenny

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1352 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 12:04 PM

Just got around to renting it today and I enjoyed the film. Daniel does an excellent job once again. I'm really liking the one song in the movie, "If There Is Something".

Must watch for Craig fans.

It's a great song, off Roxy Music's self titled debut from 1972. The song starts out sort of country western sounding, then they switch it off to the slow gorgeous section highlighted in Flashbacks. The song was used absolutely perfectly in this movie. I think it really made it, more powerful than using Bowie's version of It Ain't Easy at the end.

Craig was really able to show off his talents in this movie, he played serious and comedy equally well. This is a marvelous gem of a movie. Certainly not for everyone which I think makes it even better.

#103 Safari Suit

Safari Suit

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5099 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 12:22 PM

Haven't seen it but the excellent use of Roxy Music's If There is Something in the trailer was enough to convince me to put it on my "to see" list.

#104 Elvenstar

Elvenstar

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 294 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 01:21 PM

I was so surprised to see that it was released here in Russia on a big screen. It was such a moody experience at the theatre! Over at DTD it was said that FoaF actually was playing in some cinemas in LA (as far as I remember).
Dan is fine (especially in comedy) and everyone else as well Jodhi in particular. And it's evident that it was a movie made by friends (and probably for friends :( ). Wonderful atmosphere and camera work!

#105 quantumofsolace

quantumofsolace

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 01:49 AM

This was a good film hampered by bad marketing and an inappropriate title.

Edited by quantumofsolace, 21 February 2009 - 01:53 AM.

#106 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 05:58 AM

This was a good film hampered by bad marketing and an inappropriate title.

What specifically about the marketing did you feel was wrong, quantum? Or was there just not enough of it?

#107 quantumofsolace

quantumofsolace

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 09:21 AM

There was certainly enough marketing, but of the wrong kind. There was too much advertising,most of which was ill advised, for a film that was never going to do well at the box office.

The poster gives no indication of what kind of film it is. The images say nothing.

The trailer should have shown more of the sex and drugs to make it look like an edgy, disturbing, adult film. This is what the film is about but it tried for mass appeal when it was never going to work in that way. It relied too heavily on the brilliant music to draw people in.

A red carpet premiere for a small arthouse film? Rarely works and always looks desperate.

I think they marketed this film badly. It was a small scale film that tried to be sold to the wrong people with too much money. A smaller campaign budget spent wiseley in the right areas would have been more profitable.

Shame, as it's a good film. But thankfully it seems to have already got a cult following and will also be seen by millions worldwide on TV.

Edited by quantumofsolace, 28 February 2009 - 09:31 AM.

#108 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 12:23 PM

It was a small independent film though, and wouldn't have the big budget to mount a massive advertising campaign. It's my belief that the producers would have beens relying upon "Daniel Craig fans" to account for well over half of the revenue for this.

#109 manfromjapan

manfromjapan

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 428 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 12:12 AM

The film had mainly negative reviews, but I thought it was excellent. Emotional, moving, beautifully shot, well cast, authentic and funny. The whole cast, but particualrly Dan, was great. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality and the entertainment value of the film. It just goes to show that we should all make up our own minds about films.

#110 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 03:03 AM

Posted Image
Pre-order online at Amazon.com

#111 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR