75 replies to this topic

#1 RedKelly

RedKelly

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 09:58 PM

First off let me say mine had no defects whatsover just a normal widescreen version perfect sound and picture. In the PTS when he's strangling the man instead of showing him with his head in the sink it shows his legs for a while then quick cuts to him falling to the ground. Maybe its just me but didn't it show him in the sink longer in the theater?

#2 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 11:44 PM

There are no shots of his legs in that scene on the Region 3 version.

#3 Agent Spriggan Ominae

Agent Spriggan Ominae

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1068 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 12:20 AM

The stairwell fight is SIGNIFICANTLY edited on the US version. There's no shot of Obanno's henchmen hitting the ground or Obanno crashing into the glass window. Also they cut some shots near the end where Obanno slams Bond into the wall a second time and Bond claps his hands together and starts hammering down on Obanno's back and they shortened the struggle at the bottom of the stairwell when Bond's strangling Obanno while he's going for the gun.

#4 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 12:35 AM

Looking at the back covers, the Region 1 disc is a minute shorter than the Region 3 disc.

It'll be interesting to see what version of the film Region 2 gets! :cooltongue:

#5 Gobi-1

Gobi-1

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1529 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 12:45 AM

Why did they do this? Was Martin Campbell unhappy with some of the edits and wanted to make some last minute changes?

#6 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 01:01 AM

The stairwell fight is SIGNIFICANTLY edited on the US version. There's no shot of Obanno's henchmen hitting the ground or Obanno crashing into the glass window. Also they cut some shots near the end where Obanno slams Bond into the wall a second time and Bond claps his hands together and starts hammering down on Obanno's back and they shortened the struggle at the bottom of the stairwell when Bond's strangling Obanno while he's going for the gun.

Wow! This is the first I've heard of this. But, you know, I didn't think the stairway fight was really all that. Maybe that's because I've never seen the version our UK friends have been seeing.

#7 Agent Spriggan Ominae

Agent Spriggan Ominae

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1068 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 01:26 AM

Wow! This is the first I've heard of this. But, you know, I didn't think the stairway fight was really all that. Maybe that's because I've never seen the version our UK friends have been seeing.

Campbell mentioned it this article from MI6.

http://www.mi6.co.uk...id=4414&catid=2

"For the British censors I had to take one cut out in the torture scene, where he puts the rope over his shoulders. They thought it was a little too sexual but the violence they didn

#8 Andrew

Andrew

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1274 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 03:21 AM

I didn't notice any difference, myself.

#9 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 03:32 AM

To be honest I don't really think it makes a difference. The scene still gets it's point across, that cold blooded murder really is a filthy business (to paraphrase Brosnan from TWINE)

#10 Arbogast777

Arbogast777

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 03:44 AM

I checked my DVD against a... ahem... copy I've I since December and you're right, the opening fight and stairwell fight were cut quite a bit. The stairwell fight suffered the most.

#11 tdalton

tdalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11680 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 04:07 AM

I didn't notice any changes in my viewing of the film earlier today (although I had to deal with several distractions while watching it, so it's possible that I missed them), but from what I saw, if there was any, they weren't so crucial to the film that they irritate me in any way.

#12 darthbond

darthbond

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 04:26 AM

Didn't bother me a bit. I was just happy to have the movie sitting on my bed when I came homne from school and watching it 30 seconds later.

darthbond

#13 Agent Spriggan Ominae

Agent Spriggan Ominae

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1068 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 04:46 AM

The R1 DVD cut is the same as the one seen in US theaters, the PG-13 version. So if you only seen those then you won't notice any differences. The PG-13 version of the stairwell fight has about 17 seconds of footage cut. In a sense if you haven't seen the uncut version, than ignorance is bliss. After having seen it uncut, the cut version is akward to me at least since the cuts are blatently obvious and even the music's off where that had to remove footage.

#14 stamper

stamper

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2994 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 07:38 AM

I figured out some things seemed dull to me on the us dvd... less impact...

#15 dinovelvet

dinovelvet

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8038 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 08:46 AM

I checked my DVD against a... ahem... copy I've I since December and you're right, the opening fight and stairwell fight were cut quite a bit. The stairwell fight suffered the most.

I also have a...ahem...situation like yours, and I was able to compare the PTS side by side, I think I've identified every little cut :

-The theatrical version has a medium/closeup of Fisher's contorted, screaming face as Bond drags him across the bathroom, this is missing from the DVD, and Bond dragging Fisher to the sink just takes a little bit longer in the theatrical cut.

-The aforementioned scene of Fisher's legs replaces a shot where you can see Fisher losing his strength in the sink, his struggling becomes weaker. In the theatrical version, it cuts from closeup on Bond's face to Fisher to Bond's face to Fisher. On DVD it goes Bond to Fisher to legs to Bond.

-I think there's also a bit of a sound edit, in the theatrical cut he's clearly trying to say something underwater but on the DVD its much less audible, and edited a little.

I haven't checked out the stairwell fight in detail yet but I immediately noticed the scene of Obanno smashing into the window was gone, that was easily the most memorable part of the scene! It is obvious some editing has been done, as the music doesn't quite fit right.

#16 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 05:06 PM

I wonder if we'll eventually get such shots restored in an uncut release of the film on DVD in a few years.

#17 WhiteKnight2000

WhiteKnight2000

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 301 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 11:43 AM

I bought the R3 version, which is completely uncut.

#18 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 02:22 PM

Thanks for letting me know. I was beginning to weaken and consider buying the Region 1 version. Now I'm firmly back on track and will wait for the inevitable better version. They gave us such a great movie finally...why'd they have to not merely drop, but SPIKE the ball on the DVD? Sigh.

#19 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 02:44 PM

The R1 DVD cut is the same as the one seen in US theaters, the PG-13 version. So if you only seen those then you won't notice any differences. The PG-13 version of the stairwell fight has about 17 seconds of footage cut.

Anyone know whether this is also true of the UK DVD version (to be released next Monday)? If not, it would seem very, very strange indeed if the British disc boasted violence that was trimmed for the US market (the British Board of Film Classification is notoriously tough on violence, especially in mass appeal movies like the Bonds).

I gather, though, that the US cut of CR features a very, very slightly longer torture scene, so, presumably, if the UK edit is indeed more generous on the opening and stairwell fights, one would have to combine the UK and US versions in order to get a "complete" CR. Or is there a version released elsewhere (e.g. Japan) that stands as the definitive "full-length" CR? (ETA: WhiteKnight2000 mentions the Region 3 release.)

#20 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 02:55 PM

The Region 3 DVD is the uncensored cut. The Region 4 edition might turn out to be uncut, as well.

I would imagine the Region 2 disc will be the same as the UK cinema version, with just that 'phallic' rope shot removed.

#21 James Blond

James Blond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 03:25 PM

The Region 3 DVD is the uncensored cut. The Region 4 edition might turn out to be uncut, as well.

I would imagine the Region 2 disc will be the same as the UK cinema version, with just that 'phallic' rope shot removed.

I have both the region 1 and region 3 versions. I'm pretty sure in the region 3 DVD there is no shot of Fisher's legs as he's being choked so wouldn't that make the region 3 edited as well?

#22 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 03:39 PM

I have both the region 1 and region 3 versions. I'm pretty sure in the region 3 DVD there is no shot of Fisher's legs as he's being choked so wouldn't that make the region 3 edited as well?

Not in the same way. The Region 3 version is the final cut of the film, as the producers intended it to be.

The Region 1 version features shots not in the Region 3 version. But those shots were never supposed to be in the film. They were substitutes for shots they'd been ordered to remove by the MPAA, in order to obtain a PG-13 certificate.

#23 lafemmefantome

lafemmefantome

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 181 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 04:22 PM

Here's something interesting I noticed between the region 3 and region 1 DVD. The bonus DVD is exactly the same. Last night, I put in the bonus DVD (region 1) and I was surprised to see that I had the "menu options" of English, Thai, Korean, etc. This was just like my region 3 DVD.

Interesting eh? Maybe Sony was a bit lazy when doing things?

lafemme :cooltongue:

#24 James Blond

James Blond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 04:38 PM

Not in the same way. The Region 3 version is the final cut of the film, as the producers intended it to be.

The Region 1 version features shots not in the Region 3 version. But those shots were never supposed to be in the film. They were substitutes for shots they'd been ordered to remove by the MPAA, in order to obtain a PG-13 certificate.

That's very interesting, thanks. I was under the impression that the region 1 DVD was the truest version. Now I'm twice as glad that bought the region 3 DVD.

#25 Royal Dalton

Royal Dalton

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4542 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 05:16 PM

I was under the impression that the region 1 DVD was the truest version. Now I'm twice as glad that bought the region 3 DVD.

Yeah, but you're still right in the sense that there are one or two extra shots in the Region 1 version. So it's worth having both versions if you want to see as much footage as possible, or to compare the different cuts. :angry:

Here's something interesting I noticed between the region 3 and region 1 DVD. The bonus DVD is exactly the same. Last night, I put in the bonus DVD (region 1) and I was surprised to see that I had the "menu options" of English, Thai, Korean, etc. This was just like my region 3 DVD.

Interesting eh? Maybe Sony was a bit lazy when doing things?

How cheap! :lol:

The Region 2 edition was supposed to have a couple of extra 'extras' (Death in Venice documentary, and News Wraps), but the back cover only lists the same extras as on the Region 1 and 3 editions, so it looks like they've been dropped.

http://img393.images...ackcoverkb6.jpg

Maybe Sony initially planned more extras for every region, but changed their plans somewhere along the line? :cooltongue:

#26 WhiteKnight2000

WhiteKnight2000

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 301 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 02:42 PM

Well they have to keep some things back for it's 'Ultimate Edition' release.

#27 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 02:56 PM

Alright, I may have spoken a bit rashly, but is the Region 1 DVD the SAME cut as the U.S. release? Those possible altered shots in the PTS and the stairwell fight had me wondering if they were altered from The U.S. theatrical cut or from a U.K. or international cut.

#28 Agent Spriggan Ominae

Agent Spriggan Ominae

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1068 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 06:05 PM

Alright, I may have spoken a bit rashly, but is the Region 1 DVD the SAME cut as the U.S. release? Those possible altered shots in the PTS and the stairwell fight had me wondering if they were altered from The U.S. theatrical cut or from a U.K. or international cut.

The R1 DVD is the same as the US theatrical cut. From what I heard the PTSS and stairwell fight are uncut in the UK version but the torure scene has at least one shot "such a waste" cut. The R3 DVD has is the only one I know for a fact has all those intact or as intended.

However like I said before, if you've only seen the US theatrical version than ignorance is bliss. I prefer the uncut version but these cuts don't ruin the movie by a long shot.

Edited by Agent Spriggan Ominae, 16 March 2007 - 06:10 PM.

#29 Tiin007

Tiin007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1696 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 08:27 PM

The R1 DVD is the same as the US theatrical cut. From what I heard the PTSS and stairwell fight are uncut in the UK version but the torure scene has at least one shot "such a waste" cut. The R3 DVD has is the only one I know for a fact has all those intact or as intended.

However like I said before, if you've only seen the US theatrical version than ignorance is bliss. I prefer the uncut version but these cuts don't ruin the movie by a long shot.

Good. I feel better knowing I'm seeing what I saw in theaters (previous posts on this thread scared me for a second).

#30 ShiftyEyes

ShiftyEyes

Cadet

• Crew
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 12:13 AM

I also have a...ahem...situation like yours, and I was able to compare the PTS side by side, I think I've identified every little cut :

-The theatrical version has a medium/closeup of Fisher's contorted, screaming face as Bond drags him across the bathroom, this is missing from the DVD, and Bond dragging Fisher to the sink just takes a little bit longer in the theatrical cut.

-The aforementioned scene of Fisher's legs replaces a shot where you can see Fisher losing his strength in the sink, his struggling becomes weaker. In the theatrical version, it cuts from closeup on Bond's face to Fisher to Bond's face to Fisher. On DVD it goes Bond to Fisher to legs to Bond.

-I think there's also a bit of a sound edit, in the theatrical cut he's clearly trying to say something underwater but on the DVD its much less audible, and edited a little.

I haven't checked out the stairwell fight in detail yet but I immediately noticed the scene of Obanno smashing into the window was gone, that was easily the most memorable part of the scene! It is obvious some editing has been done, as the music doesn't quite fit right.

I did my own comparisons and caught two things you missed.
- During the first flashback, prior to Bond and Fisher falling out of the stalls, there's a shot of Bond hitting Fisher with a stall door.
- Also during the first flashback, Bond kicks Fisher twice. Bond kicks him once before Fisher tries to throw the trash container at Bond.

I also took a look at the stairway fight. Here's what I caught.

- In the uncut version, you can see the guy who Bond flipped over the stairs land at the bottom.
- Bond smashes Obanno's head into a glass panel on the wall.
- After the Obanno is flipped by Bond, he grabs Vesper's ankle and she struggles to break free.
- There is more fighting between Bond and Obanno after Vesper tries to open the door (after Obanno loses the machete). As Agent Spriggan Ominae described in post # 3, "they cut some shots near the end where Obanno slams Bond into the wall a second time and Bond claps his hands together and starts hammering down on Obanno's back.."
- In the uncut version, there is another close up shot on Obanno's legs kicking against the floor as Bond tries to strangle him prior to the closeup we see later.
- Obanno struggles longer to reach for the gun before Vesper takes it from him.
- In the uncut version, there is an uninterrupted shot of Obanno's legs kicking before he finally dies. The US version cuts to Vesper's reaction in the middle of this shot and cuts back. In the uncut version, Vesper's reaction comes after this shot.