90 replies to this topic

#1 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 05:56 AM

1) Bond's phone can do everything - it really is one of the best gadgets in the series (and some people suggest there are no gadgets in this one, but I think straight away about his phone, defibrilator, guns, arm-scanner and microchip).

2) Bond and MI6 would call it a Mobile Phone.

I know I am being picky here, but it reminds me of TND when Bond talks about a "station break", which is meaningless in Britain.

#2 Damien Hunt

Damien Hunt

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 124 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 07:17 AM

1) Bond's phone can do everything - it really is one of the best gadgets in the series (and some people suggest there are no gadgets in this one, but I think straight away about his phone, defibrilator, guns, arm-scanner and microchip).

I know I am being picky here, but it reminds me of TND when Bond talks about a "station break", which is meaningless in Britain.

Bond's phone in the movie really wasn't anything special, you can go buy a Palm Treo, or a Pocket PC phone that can do all the things in the movie with the exception of being able to link to the chip in your arm of course :)

#3 MarcAngeDraco

MarcAngeDraco

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3312 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 11:26 AM

Perhaps I just didn't notice it (as the term cellphone is rather common here in the US) but did anyone actually say the word "cellphone" during the film?...

Off the top of my head the only direct phone ref I can think of is when Bond says that "she left her phone" (speaking to M regarding Vesper) and, at least in my memory, he simply calls it a "phone"...

#4 *Gala*

*Gala*

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1121 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 11:50 AM

And speaking of Bond cellphones... take a look at this add for it!

http://www.evagreenw...y...m=376&pos=0

#5 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 02:33 PM

[mra]It really is silly isn

#6 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 03:27 PM

Actually, "mobile phone" is rarely used in Britain. Most people just say "mobile". But, yes, it's absurd to hear Bond and M discussing "cell phones" - it's another "Sir Havelock" moment.

#7 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 03:38 PM

Actually, "mobile phone" is rarely used in Britain. Most people just say "mobile". But, yes, it's absurd to hear Bond and M discussing "cell phones" - it's another "Sir Havelock" moment.

[mra]True, but what I

#8 *Gala*

*Gala*

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1121 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 03:55 PM

I still fail to see how such little technicalities can be such a case... here in Dubai it's usually called a "mobile" or a "cell"... oddly the second part of them ("phone") is rarely said. Whichever, I seriously don't mind.

#9 MsGreen

MsGreen

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 04:19 PM

I like Vesper's cellphone/PDA more. It look really nice and it seem like it got instant messages....

#10 RevolveR

RevolveR

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 441 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 06:49 PM

Bond's phone in the movie really wasn't anything special, you can go buy a Palm Treo, or a Pocket PC phone that can do all the things in the movie with the exception of being able to link to the chip in your arm of course :)

I think the ability to analyze poison in one's blood makes a phone quite special actually. My phone can't do that.

#11 Damien Hunt

Damien Hunt

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 124 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 07:13 PM

I think the ability to analyze poison in one's blood makes a phone quite special actually. My phone can't do that.

I don't think it was the phone, so much as the chip in his arm that was doing the analyzing, and I already gave a nod to the chip-to-cell phone link. As far as GPS, and stuff, look here http://blog.treonaut...lling_with.html for example. Of course the graphics aren't as good as Bond's Sony Ericson model, but what can you do?

Edited by Damien Hunt, 08 December 2006 - 07:15 PM.

#12 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 11:08 PM

Off the top of my head the only direct phone ref I can think of is when Bond says that "she left her phone" (speaking to M regarding Vesper) and, at least in my memory, he simply calls it a "phone"...

He says "She left her cellphone". Watched it again last night.

#13 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 11:14 PM

I think they treated the mobile phones pretty well in the movie. Should have called them mobile phones rather than cell phones... but never mind. I already have a Sony Ericsson K800i that I completely love. A pity the memory cards are so bloody hard to come by (they use Sony's Memory Stick Micro rather than the more generic SD cards).

I do hope mobile phones don't become to Craig what satellites were to Brosnan, though. I guess that's too much to hope for what with Sony being involved...

I don't think it was the phone, so much as the chip in his arm that was doing the analyzing, and I already gave a nod to the chip-to-cell phone link. As far as GPS, and stuff, look here http://blog.treonaut...lling_with.html for example. Of course the graphics aren't as good as Bond's Sony Ericson model, but what can you do?

It wasn't the chip that analyzed his blood. He stuck something in his arm for that and connected it to the phone so that the phone could transmit the information to MI6, where the data was analysed. Nothing spectacular.

#14 MarcAngeDraco

MarcAngeDraco

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3312 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 11:17 PM

I guess that's such a common word here that I didn't even notice...

#15 NotAnAcronym

NotAnAcronym

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 54 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 11:25 PM

Not the first time this "error" occurred: in TND he also says "my cell phone opens it" when asked how they could open his BMW.

#16 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 11:26 PM

I guess that's such a common word here that I didn't even notice

Well, we know what it means, so I didn't think it was that bad, it's just not the term that a British agent would use.

It's like in TND when Bond says "station break". Sometimes they use the US term for things. (I wonder if there is a Bond film where 007 says elevator, instead of lift?).

In Australia, they are called mobile phones too. But all of us watch enough US television and movies to know the term cellphone.

#17 Skudor

Skudor

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9286 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 11:29 PM

I guess that's such a common word here that I didn't even notice

Well, we know what it means, so I didn't think it was that bad, it's just not the term that a British agent would use.

It's like in TND when Bond says "station break". Sometimes they use the US term for things. (I wonder if there is a Bond film where 007 says elevator, instead of lift?).

In Australia, they are called mobile phones too. But all of us watch enough US television and movies to know the term cellphone.

It's a silly mistake or silly pandering to some belief that the US audience wouldn't understand (and therefore never go to see another Bond film!). Just silly.

#18 NotAnAcronym

NotAnAcronym

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 54 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 11:33 PM

I wonder if there is a Bond film where 007 says elevator, instead of lift?

Isn't Blofeld joking about that in DAF? I'm not sure. Apropos DAF: have you ever heard anybody talk about the famous lift fight? I haven't :)

#19 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 08:44 AM

Apropos DAF: have you ever heard anybody talk about the famous lift fight? I haven't

Well, here you are - I do. It's the famous fight in the lift between Bond and Franks.

#20 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 11:09 PM

I've remembered the other one:-

It was in Goldeneye, during the PTS exchange between 007 and 006.

006 says "Bar's closing, Last call"

007 - "Buy me a pint".

But, "Last call" is an American term, and 006 would say "Last orders".

#21 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 04:18 AM

Any other Americanisms in the Bond movies?

#22 Forward Look

Forward Look

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2062 posts
  • Location:Atlanta, Georgia USA - home of the 1996 Summer Olympic Games

Posted 04 January 2007 - 09:27 AM

(I wonder if there is a Bond film where 007 says elevator, instead of lift?).

It wasn't Bond, but Blofeld in DAF, where he says both elevator and lift in the same sentence, as Bond is about to be moved by Wint and Kidd to the open desert just outside Las Vegas.

"Well go on, it's merely a lift. Or perhaps I should say elevator. In any event, I'm sure you'll find it much more convenient than mountaneering about outside the Whyte House."
-- Charles Gray as Ernst Starvros Blofeld, DAF --

#23 JCRendle

JCRendle

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 09:40 AM

Well, they changed tuxedo in the script to the British dinnerjacket in the film which was good.

#24 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 05:37 PM

Any other Americanisms in the Bond movies?

In GE Bond refers to his stop-off in the toilet as a stop-off in the bathroom.

#25 Forward Look

Forward Look

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2062 posts
  • Location:Atlanta, Georgia USA - home of the 1996 Summer Olympic Games

Posted 08 January 2007 - 07:20 AM

Well, they changed tuxedo in the script to the British dinnerjacket in the film which was good.

That's because there are dinner jackets....and then there are dinner jackets.

#26 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 10:12 PM

In GE Bond refers to his stop-off in the toilet as a stop-off in the bathroom

Ah yes, good one.

He should have said "Sorry, had to pop to the loo....."

:cooltongue:

#27 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 05:51 AM

I found it - in TND when Bond and Wai Lin fall down the side of the Carver building using the poster, Bond says "Next time I'll use the elevator" but he would have used the word "lift", being British.

:cooltongue:

#28 Auric64

Auric64

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 362 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 08:45 AM

Yet in GoldenEye, when Bond is talking to Xenia, he uses the British pronunciation
of Garage, (which, being British he would do) instead of the US one, which is pronounced Ga-rage.

Did any US forum members have problems hearing the British term instead of the US one? Did it still register with them as to what Bond was talking about?

Best

Andy

#29 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 10:05 PM

British pronunciation
of Garage, (which, being British he would do

I'm British, and I don't say it like Bond did.

#30 VisualStatic

VisualStatic

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 192 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 10:07 PM

Personally, I'd prefer they use the British terms instead of having to dumb it down for us Yanks...