233 replies to this topic

#181 Ravenstone

Ravenstone

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 400 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 05:30 PM

Aw such adorable cats. I'd have had them off you in a nanosecond.

I'd hate it if I couldn't take my pets.

Monty is at the vets on Thursday to have four teeth removed, due to FARLs. He may also have his chin shaved. Expect photos if he looks particularly amusing B)

#182 Navy007Fan

Navy007Fan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 10:09 PM

Meet Hunter!!!!

Posted Image

He's a mutt Mrs. Navy and I adopted through PetFinder.com. He's a great dog with a great personality! More pictures here.

#183 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 06:15 PM

Adorable dog

#184 Kilroy6644

Kilroy6644

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2063 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 08:53 PM

Millie saw an elk.
Posted Image

#185 Double-0-7

Double-0-7

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3629 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 10:56 PM

This little fella needs a good home. Amuses himself for hours by chewing manically on his hind legs, so he is quite easy to care for.

He goes by the name "Sweetie".

Anyone interested?

Posted Image

#186 Navy007Fan

Navy007Fan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 11:44 PM

Everyone, meet Ms. Moneypenny!!!!

Posted Image

Please note that she's in the safe hands of a S.P.E.C.T.R.E. agent.

#187 Kilroy6644

Kilroy6644

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2063 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 11:59 PM

She's adorable. How old is she?

#188 Navy007Fan

Navy007Fan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 12:10 AM

She's adorable. How old is she?

We think about 6-7 weeks. She was found by one of my wife's clients in a pipe near her work. She's a scrapper being a former feral kitten, and she has the dogs on the run!

#189 jwheels

jwheels

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1021 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 02:00 AM

Our dog Gizmo enjoying his favorite beverage.

Also, don't let the cuteness fool you, his name maybe Gizmo, but he sounds and acts like a Gremlin.

Attached Files

#190 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 03:34 AM

He may be small, but meet the lovely Josephina's newest parakeet.

Due to the fact that his coloring is more like a white dinner jacket and tux, she chose to name him Fleming.

He loves watching movies, becomes quite vocal whenever he hears the Bond theme and responds to the word "martini" and does his own stunts whenever fluttering about.

The bird is the word.

Attached Files

#191 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 07:51 PM

This poor creature turned up outside work on Monday morning.
Posted Image Posted Image
She was terrified, starving, covered with ticks and fleas and crawling with worms. My colleagues and I are suckers for dogs so we've taken her in. For various reasons none of us can take her home so she's living at work, where we've made her a lovely bed from a pallet and some duvets, blankets and towels and are feeding her up.
Posted ImagePosted Image
She's made huge leaps forward in confidence and health just in the last three days and we're in love with her so I can't see her going anywhere soon... I have named her Joan Collins, for her dark hair and her petite figure (and because I am a particular fan of Joan).
Posted Image

#192 Goodnight

Goodnight

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:02 PM

Here are some of my cats, Kay is the ginger and white one and the black one Is JC. We like to think of them of being girlfriend and boyfriend B)

Every morning at about 6:30 they go for their morning walk togther, they potter off down the bottom of the garden and then come up, back to bed. :tdown:

And another one!

This here is my wonderful pony called Dolly, On April 21st this year i will have had her for 14 years, OFFICALLY!!!

I know this sounds sad, but I wouldn't swap her for anyone or anything :tdown:

Attached Files

#193 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 11:39 PM

She was terrified, starving, covered with ticks and fleas and crawling with worms. My colleagues and I are suckers for dogs so we've taken her in. For various reasons none of us can take her home so she's living at work, where we've made her a lovely bed from a pallet and some duvets, blankets and towels and are feeding her up.

She's made huge leaps forward in confidence and health just in the last three days and we're in love with her so I can't see her going anywhere soon... I have named her Joan Collins, for her dark hair and her petite figure (and because I am a particular fan of Joan).

awesome job Santa. It is good you work somewhere you can have a mascot.

Unfortunately right now I am on the cusp of making a very difficult decision. I have a 16 year old American Eskimo (will be 17 in September) and he is not doing too well. Everyone is telling me it is time to have him put down but I'm not sure he is in much pain. I do have to carry him outside to go to the bathroom (he can't make the step from the deck to the back yard. However he still eats normally and walks around a little. He does have a kidney disease so I know it won't be too much longer. My wife thinks he is suffering right now and wants to put him down before he gets any worse.

#194 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 12:45 AM

If he doesn't seem to be in pain, I would say let him live out his days in peace. I've only had two of my many pets from over the years put down. My first dog, whose back issues had evolved greatly and was dying of lung cancer, and my first cat, who had a brain tumor that had caused her to become blind and completely removed her sense of smell and so she wasn't eating unless you were to put the food in her mouth for her, only then would she catch on that it existed. Every other pet which has died have lived long lives and died naturally. But this is just my opinion.

And on an unrelated note, pictures of my own pets shall come eventually.

#195 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 03:14 AM

Sorry to hear that Jaguar. My brother had an Elkhound for over 14 years and it got to the point where he couldn't even stand. B)

If he's not in pain, then enjoy the time you have left. If he's still eating well and somewhat active that's always good. Still, it doesn't take away the inevitable whether it's nature or by choice.

Keep us around here posted and again, enjoy the time you have and have had.

#196 coco1997

coco1997

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2821 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 04:12 AM

Posted Image Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

That's a very heartfelt story, Santa. I admire your humanitarianism and selflessness. B)

#197 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 08:09 AM

Unfortunately right now I am on the cusp of making a very difficult decision. I have a 16 year old American Eskimo (will be 17 in September) and he is not doing too well. Everyone is telling me it is time to have him put down but I'm not sure he is in much pain. I do have to carry him outside to go to the bathroom (he can't make the step from the deck to the back yard. However he still eats normally and walks around a little. He does have a kidney disease so I know it won't be too much longer. My wife thinks he is suffering right now and wants to put him down before he gets any worse.

That's a terrible decision to have to make. Do you trust your vet? If so I would ask him/her what's best, as they may know more if he's in pain or not. Either way, he'll know you're only doing the best for him.

#198 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 08:22 AM

Posted Image

#199 Kilroy6644

Kilroy6644

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2063 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 10:38 AM

My little Chessie. You can tell how thrilled she is that I was taking her picture.

Posted Image

And Millie.

Posted Image

#200 elizabeth

elizabeth

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2285 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 08:46 PM

My dog, Charlie Brown!

Posted Image

Edited by elizabeth, 19 February 2010 - 09:00 PM.

#201 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:46 PM

That's a terrible decision to have to make. Do you trust your vet? If so I would ask him/her what's best, as they may know more if he's in pain or not. Either way, he'll know you're only doing the best for him.

It is tough, but after my wife came home last night and found him laying in his own urine and vomit we decided to make an appointment to have him put to sleep. It is tough because at times througout the day he seems like he could hang on a little longer, but then other times he looks like he is ready to go.

Here is a picture of him back when he was about 1 year old (he is now over 16 years old)along with my daughter who is now 18.
Posted Image

On a brighter note I decided to attach a picture of my other baby, my 8 year old Siberian Husky, Sasha. She will actually be 9 in May (she shares the same B-Day as my daughter, just 10 years apart). Although 9 she still has the same energy level she did when she was 3. She plays very well with my wife's 2 year old King Charles Spaniel.

Posted Image

#202 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 07:07 AM

Blessing to you for having to do that.
He's not even mine but just looking at that pic knowing he'll be put down & gone from this life is breaking my heart

#203 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 07:31 PM

Sorry to hear the story, Jaguar. All my thoughts are with you and your family. I can only imagine how your daughter must be sad too.

(...)

So how's the poor creature doing, Santa? She looked awfully skinny on some of the photos B)
Could be worth checking with a vet if she has a microchip ID, maybe she got lost?

#204 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 07:41 PM

My dog, Charlie Brown!

Posted Image

Looks like a very cool dog, Elizabeth! B)
And Charlie Brown is a nice dog name, if you ask me!

#205 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 08:05 PM

Thanks everybody. It has been a rough last couple of days. I have been married to my current wife 12 years and I have had Yukon longer than I have known her, so there is major dynamic missing from our household that has always been there.

#206 Santa

Santa

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6445 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 09:43 PM

(...)

So how's the poor creature doing, Santa? She looked awfully skinny on some of the photos B)
Could be worth checking with a vet if she has a microchip ID, maybe she got lost?

Well it's been an interesting/stressful week with Joan Collins. She's turned into a wonderful dog - she's filling out nicely, she's not so scared of humans, she's all bouncy and happy and it's lovely to see. Unfortunately, my dog's not having any of it and it's a bit difficult to leave her at work overnight so I'm being very careful to keep them apart. This weekend she's going to live with my boss's wife, who for various reasons lives apart from him about 90 minutes away. She's a dog trainer and already has a couple of other dogs so Joan will be well looked after there. I'm gutted because she and I have become very attached to each other but I can't see my dog ever accepting her so I have to let her go.
She's a wild dog, there are plenty of them around here, unfortunately. Nearly every time one goes out there are pathetic creatures by the roadside. I could come home with a different stray dog every day. Spaniards treat animals terribly and if you are British or German living here, you end up with rescue dogs. There's no escape. It breaks my heart. Thankfully this time the story has a happy ending.

#207 Cruiserweight

Cruiserweight

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6815 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:11 AM

Thanks everybody. It has been a rough last couple of days. I have been married to my current wife 12 years and I have had Yukon longer than I have known her, so there is major dynamic missing from our household that has always been there.

So,he's gone?
B)

#208 jaguar007

jaguar007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5608 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 06:58 PM

So,he's gone?
B)

unfortunately, yes

Posted Image
Yukon
September 1993 - February 2010

#209 Navy007Fan

Navy007Fan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 07:21 PM

You did the right thing Jag. Mrs. Navy and I had to put down three dogs (two of ours and a Golden Retriever rescue foster with massive neurological problems) in the past two years or so (Dec '08, Feb '09 and Jan '10). When you start doing things to your animal as opposed to for them, it's time to go.

#210 MkB

MkB

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3864 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 01:36 AM

Well it's been an interesting/stressful week with Joan Collins (...)

That's good news Santa! I hope Joan will finally find a home, but it seems very likely now.
It's tough when the official, "tenured" pet refuses to let another one in (I've experienced a similar situation with cats: cat n°1 didn't agree to play with cat n°2, he preferred trying and hack him into pieces B)), but what can you do... they can be pretty stubborn!

She's a wild dog, there are plenty of them around here, unfortunately. Nearly every time one goes out there are pathetic creatures by the roadside. I could come home with a different stray dog every day. Spaniards treat animals terribly and if you are British or German living here, you end up with rescue dogs. There's no escape. It breaks my heart. Thankfully this time the story has a happy ending.

Ah yes, I didn't know it was like that in Spain too, but I have seen the same in Greece and Turkey. In Athens particularly, it's amazing how many wild dogs you see along the streets, even in the very centre of the city.
Ending up with rescue dogs / cats when you're a foreigner seems a constant: I know a German lady running a dog shelter in Istanbul, Dutch guys who set up a charity for Greek cats and dogs on an island, and in Rome too there's a famous cat shelter run for an important part by foreigners living there ( http://www.romancats.com - for the record, it's worth a visit if you're in Rome one of those days, the shelter is in archaeological area).