61 replies to this topic

#61 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 04:23 PM

Yeah, Dave and I had this discussion. All I can think is that her M did come from a number-crunching background and replaced a long-running predecessor (as in the Brosnan era), but in the new continuity, it wasn't Sir Miles that she replaced (if Bond is to ever have him as a chief), and she doesn't see Bond as a relic of the Cold War. That's the only way I can explain how she's obvously written differently but says she's the same character.

#62 stamper

stamper

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2994 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 08:19 AM

Is this the same M as in Broz movies ? That's a question that keeps coming back.
My take, and I'm saying this because he introduction rant was one of the best moments of the movie, is that she plays of course the same role, but since this is a reboot, the character have a different background.

In GE, she says she is an accountant, a bean counter, and Bond is a "relic of the cold war"

Here, as soon as she is introduced, the slams those pricks from the house of parliaments (the accountants) and says she miss the cold war. This exposition dialogue given in one go reflects some of the dialogue of GE, with the purpose of etablishing her background as being totally different from the previous one. ie they are the same character, but with totally different history.

Now, M IS the relic of the cold war, and M hates those beans accountants. It's completely changed, and for the better : her relationship with 007 flies much better than the one with Broz (I mean, just look at her part in WINE, and compare with here : she shines (obviously the material is much better). I'm sure Judi had a nap thought, her lips looks different in this movie.