This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Calling all members of the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Roger Moore....

72 replies to this topic

#31 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 15 July 2002 - 07:35 PM

Welshcat...unless you have seen a different version than I have...when Pierce was on "Muppets Tonight" he did not sing at all, but he was damned funny!

And how on earth did this return to a discussion of a strip club? I know how to end this:

Does anyone really want to see Roger Moore strip?

-- Xenobia

#32 WC

WC

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1415 posts

Posted 15 July 2002 - 09:35 PM

Xenobia - no I think the version of Muppets Tonight was the same as yours and I think we've already had a thread before which establishes that Pierce Brosnan can't sing. I was saying that Roger's stint with the Muppets was better because he actually did sing (or at least speak the words).

Anyway, I hope I didn't lead people onto the discussion of the strip club by way of the Muppets. But unfortunately, I know that some of the Bond girls wanted Rog to strip - I know that wasn't his fault but it must've raised a few eyebrows! :)

#33 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 05:14 PM

Originally posted by Mourning Becomes Electra
Hmmmm define "unjustly trashed".  And very interesting that you point out that at the end of his tenure there were moments to make you scratch your head wondering what the writers and crew were smoking but nothing in TMWTGG does?  I just find that hard to believe. :)  

What?  No issues with the comically wedgied sumor wrestlers?  Or little girls saving Bond's ****?  Or Goodnight flipping the switch with her bottom?  Hmmmm, TMWTGG seems to be rather fixated in a certain area, evidently it calls for another article on Bondian subtext. :)    

As for you Hardyboy, I expected a little support.  I've read your treatise on the abomination that is TMWTGG, and yet what do I get, cat fight wishes. Am I dissapointed. :)  

MBE

MBE, I agree with you that TMWTGG was probably the low point of Rogers time as 007, but one thing people should remember is that if it were not for Roger keeping the series alive (and popular) throughout the mid 1970s to mid 1980s then we would not have had the opportunity to be subjected to, or enjoy (depending on your view of TD and PB) the other actors who stepped into the role following his departure.

#34 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 06:28 PM

hey people lay off moore, he is my fav. bond and i am sick of all the **** that gets thrown his way

#35 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 06:32 PM

Roger did pretty good with some of his Bonds. At his best, he'd knock the **** out Dim Dalton. Brosnan actually owes a lot of his Bond to both Moore and Connery. You borrow from the best, I say.

#36 rogermoore007

rogermoore007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 07:35 PM

If not here's some more fuel, only the great Christopher Lee and the cool and lovely Maude Adams are blameless in the "it's so bad I'd rather watch AVTAK" film that is TMWTTG.  Make of that what you will.  

MBE

Well, I just read this thread and that quite fueled me:)

I thought TMWTGG was the best bond ever--Best Villain, Best Bond, One of the best girls--I know you won't believe it but I've watched TMWTGG over 35 times now (last night being the 35th) and I still can't find much to complain about--Christopher Lee was the best villain because he tought he had the same job as Bond-He thought he was Bond's equal and that irked Bond's ego-The final showdown is a great sequence with the last scene (Scaramanga's Death) being quite ironic--Maud Adams does an admirable job and Goodnight is OK--The karate at HaiFat's palace is a very good scene--there are also some great quotes in this movie--Nick Nack was also OK, he wasn't great but good enough (although I wish Bond would've just killed him)--Scaramanga's Island is amazing=it is a private island and it comes complete with futuristic furnishings and a solar energy channeling ray--JW Pepper provides some good comic relief and the car stunt is great--Add the GREATEST BOND EVER (need I say his name?) and you have the best bond movie:)

This is just my humble opinion but I have come to accept all of this as truth by now

#37 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 09:46 PM

Well I don't totally agree with your assessment of TMWTGG. I thought the production design values were a little shoddy, especially in the fun house/arcade area on Scaramanga's island. I also thought Nick Nack was just plain annoying. Having said all that Chris Lee was a wonderful foil for Rogers 007 and Maud Adams was a really beautiful Bond girl.
I agree with you ChandlerBing, Pierce Brosnan is a cross between the Roger Moore and Sean Connery 007's.

#38 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 09:53 PM

Roger had the BEST era! it is when everyone in the crew found their mark! found their stride!

They really fell off with Sean's last few..

They just improved everything.. the quality of the action,stories,to risks everywhere.. with music to scripts.. had a game plan to have guys work there way up through the company to the point where you grow in the company.. all the way to director..

John Glen is the best director.. he started as editor and work his way up.. he knew the bond business!!

NOW we get anyone to direct.. and they seem to like to bad mouth the past people??? WE never heard this when THE MEN Ruled the Bonds!!! NOT the kids of Cubby.

Cubby was class.. and just everyone knew their link to the projects! the most exciting thing about Roger's era is.. ALL the movie are different (except Moonraker which jumped on star wars trend).. BUT all Rogers movies are different.. fun, serious,action packed!

Roger's era is when ALL the Bond workers including Cubby learned their jobs! they just took chances.. and had fun!! They learned from Sean's last 3 to mix them up.. takes risks.. dont' just try to make "goldfinger" over and over... (which they sorta did with sean after 1963)

Roger's era had it all!!! There is nothing better then Roger & John Glen! those 2 together.. there is NO stopping the box office numbers & excitement!!!

ALL Glenn's movies cost 30 million! all made huge profits!!! He knew what to do!!

#39 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 10:12 PM

Originally posted by 4 Ur Eyez Only

They just improved everything.. the quality of the action,stories,to risks everywhere.. with music to scripts.. had a game plan to have guys work there way up through the company to the point where you grow in the company.. all the way to director..

John Glen is the best director.. he started as editor and work his way up.. he knew the bond business!!

NOW we get anyone to direct.. and they seem to like to bad mouth the past people??? WE never heard this when THE MEN Ruled the Bonds!!! NOT the kids of Cubby.

Cubby was class.. and just everyone knew their link to the projects! the most exciting thing about Roger's era is.. ALL the movie are different (except Moonraker which jumped on star wars trend).. BUT all Rogers movies are different.. fun, serious,action packed!

Roger's era is when ALL the Bond workers including Cubby learned their jobs! they just took chances.. and had fun!! They learned from Sean's last 3 to mix them up.. takes risks.. dont' just try to make "goldfinger" over and over... (which they sorta did with sean after 1963)

Roger's era had it all!!! There is nothing better then Roger & John Glen! those 2 together.. there is NO stopping the box office numbers & excitement!!!

ALL Glenn's movies cost 30 million! all made huge profits!!! He knew what to do!!

You hit on an excellent point here 4 Ur Eyez Only...Now we have directors who have no real loyalty to the franchise, they are just looking for a paycheck and in it all for themselves and not the Bond canon. The directors of the Roger Moore Bond era had a real love of Bond movies and were all a part of Cubby's extended "family".
Now, we get directors who are mercenaries and spend their time badmouthing past directors and churn out poor and really pathetically boring pieces of trash. The loss of Cubby was not just a loss to his family but to Bond fans everywhere. I don't get the same kind of friendly, welcoming feeling with those two (Barbara and Mike Wilson), who tend to run it more as a business than their father did.
That's one of the things that is wrong with the series right now, everyone is out for themselves - and Pierce is one of the biggest culprits, if he really cared for the fans he would give us a Bond movie every two years instead of insisting on a three year break.

#40 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 11:08 PM

How can I join the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Roger Moore?

#41 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 11:20 PM

I'd love to join, too. Roger is always being blamed for any of the lame stuff in his movies. I think it was either Steven Jay Rubin or Lee Pfeiffer who blamed Roger for the "stainless steel delicatessan" line in FYEO!

#42 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 11:59 PM

Originally posted by DLibrasnow

You hit on an excellent point here 4 Ur Eyez Only...Now we have directors who have no real loyalty to the franchise, they are just looking for a paycheck and in it all for themselves and not the Bond canon. The directors of the Roger Moore Bond era had a real love of Bond movies and were all a part of Cubby's extended "family".  
Now, we get directors who are a**holes and spend their time badmouthing past directors and churn out p*ss poor and really pathetically boring pieces of trash. The loss of Cubby was not just a loss to his family but to Bond fans everywhere. I don't get the same kind of friendly, welcoming feeling with those two (Barbara and Mike Wilson), who tend to run it more as a business than their father did.
That's one of the things that is wrong with the series right now, everyone is out for themselves - and Pierce is one of the biggest culprits, if he really cared for the fans he would give us a Bond movie every two years instead of insisting on a three year break. WHO THE HELL DOES HE THINK HE IS.....
You know Sean Connery learned that the character of Bond was bigger than him when he tried to strong arm Cubby and Harry into making him a partner in the late 1960s. THEY SHOULD TEACH BROSNAN A LESSON and show him the door. The way he ignores the fans wishes would never have been tolerated under Cubbys watch!

Yeah it's too bad new bond films aren't the quality of YOLT, MR, LTK, TMWTGG and Moonraker. Bah. Yeah yeah some people like and love all those films, I don't... but I don't think they stunk because Cubby didn't care about the fans or Bond.

As for Brosnan dictating the schedule... he asked for it once, after TWINE and we know that if EON and MGM didn't want it as well it wouldn't have happenned. You don't think maybe the producers too would like a bit of a break between films to re-charge, especially after making 3 huge films back to back in a 5 year period? I guess it was Roger's fault there was 3 year gap between TMWTGG and TSWLM. Or maybe Cubby just didn't love us all enough. The films take ALOT longer to make now than they did when Sean or even Roger did them. Even LTK and TND were only 4 month shoots, DAD was almost 7 months long, then 5 months of post production and months of worldwide promotion, and months of pre-production.

Halle said that during shooting when she had a cold Barbara Brocolli came to her home with home made chicken soup. Of course she only did that to make sure Halle was back on the assembly line.... how machavellian. And I bet Dalton and Moore only show up at EON/Broccoli events still because they're forced by the memory of Cubby. Moore must miss all those negotiations where he threatened to quit and Cubby woud threaten to replace him before they settled on a raise. That wasn't business of course that was just being family. And when Glen was fired in 1990/1... oh excuse me not invited back by Cubby that wasn't business either. Sure.

As for who Brosnan thinks he is.... I don't know.... Brosnan probably like Connery thinks he's an actor and has a right to make other films and play other characters and not just churn out Bond films until he's deemed too old and kicked to the curb with no other career to speak of. Imagine that....so selfish. Just look how he doesn't spend any time promoting Bond.... a measly 5 months traveling around the world, bah... He should always be promoting Bond, he should show up at K-Mart & Best Buy in an tux and open Bond store displays between Bond films. This need to make other movies or spend time with his family is just wrong. What's he done for the franchise anyway, a few measly billions.

Frankly, considering how much you dislike Brosnan and the new films I'd think you'd be happy to have less of them and would be pushing for 5 years between films. Oh and Cubby really showed Connery. Connery quit, the next film made half the amount of money, Connery was begged to come back and given not only the biggest salary in films but I heft % of the gross. That showed him alright! :)

#43 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 12:51 AM

Can anyone tell TheSaint and I how to join the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Roger Moore?

#44 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 01:15 AM

I believe you e-mail Xenobia who's the boss, then later you just add the affilation to your sig. :)

#45 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 01:27 AM

I guess it was Roger's fault there was 3 year gap between TMWTGG and TSWLM.  Or maybe Cubby just didn't love us all enough.  The films take ALOT longer to make now than they did when Sean or even Roger did them.  Even LTK and TND were only 4 month shoots, DAD was almost 7 months long, then 5 months of post production and months of worldwide promotion, and months of pre-production.    

Please take the time to be better informed over the facts MBE. The reason there was a three year break between TMWTGG and TSWLM had to do with the courts and Harry Saltzman's bankruptcy. Anyone who has taken the time to do some basic research knows that, heck they even go into the details on the "Inside the Spy Who Loved Me: documentary.

#46 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 01:32 AM

Frankly, considering how much you dislike Brosnan and the new films I'd think you'd be happy to have less of them and would be pushing for 5 years between films.  Oh and Cubby really showed Connery. Connery quit, the next film made half the amount of money, Connery was begged to come back and given not only the biggest salary in films but I heft % of the gross. That showed him alright!  :)

I never claimed to dislike Brosnan. Connery was shown, he wanted to be a partner in EON and told Cubby and Harry they would never make a successful 007 movie without him in the lead role. Hmmm...interesting that TSWLM, MR and FYEO seemed successful and (oh of course) Connery played Bond in them - NOT!

#47 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 01:36 AM

And when Glen was fired in 1990/1... oh excuse me not invited back by Cubby that wasn't business either.  Sure.

I think you'll find that MGM dictated that Glen be kept away from the series. They also made the same decree concerning Richard Maibaum (who passed away in 1991, so it didn't matter). MGM also dictated that Michael G. Wilson not be allowed to pen another 007 adventure.

#48 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 29 April 2003 - 02:12 AM

The break had nothing to do with some a**hole of an actor like Pierce (I am God) Brosnan deciding he was going to screw over the Bond fans by making them wait an extra year between movies.

When did Brosnan say that he was God. I only assume it's true because you have stated it, DL.

And when did he say that he was going to screw over the fans?

We all know that you don't like him because you always hit us with it - with the subtlety of a sledge hammer.

And I don't think you show yourself in a good light by calling an actor an a**hole just because you don't like him.

#49 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 02:23 AM

I never claimed to dislike Pierce Brosnan....

#50 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 29 April 2003 - 02:47 AM

I never claimed to dislike Pierce Brosnan....

So calling someone an a**hole is a term of endearment in your lexicon, is it?

#51 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 02:49 AM

Oh please.... the vituperation that drips in almost everyone of your posts concerning Brosnan is pretty hard not to see. If you don't dislike him then you've just been yanking everyone's chain about him for ages.

For some one who gets so upset about Roger Moore not getting his due you seem more than willing to slag off everyone else, from Connery to Brosnan and now to Barbara Broccoli and Michael Wilson and diminish their contributions.

Yes I know the facts of the TMWTGG/TSWLM layoff scenario, just as I know there was more to the 3 year gap between TND and TWINE than Brosnan's wishes. I was using it as a comparison in a faceticious way. Oh and Connery wound up a partner in DAF with his large % of the profits and then he left when they still wanted him... and jeez what's happenned to his career.... and he still doesn't seem rather humbled. I wonder why?

How exactly does Cubby acceeding to MGM's demands about Glen show that he was more in control or responsive to the fans or loyal etc than Michael Wilson & Barbara Broccoli? It doesn't. It shows he like them was not in complete control, and also that some things were a matter of business. Bond is a business, a very large one. It's a credit to the Broccolis, all of them, that many people still say working on a Bond film is different than other large films, that it's like a family... but it's still a business.

#52 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 02:52 AM

Folks...I just want to jump in here....Dlibrasnow has had an incredibly bad day, and knows he has gone too far in some threads.

Let's all take a breather and let this pass.

-- Xen

#53 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 03:02 AM

Yes, most sincerest condolences to you and your family Darren. I really mean that, mate. :)

#54 goldengun

goldengun

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 209 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 01:04 PM

I have seen the benefits of being part of the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Roger Moore. How can I join?

I want to join this blessed club - if you deem me worthy (**I remain hopeful**)...

#55 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 02:24 PM

Roger did some pretty good Bonds. 3 of them were outstanding, 2 were ok, and 2 were horrible.

#56 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 05:10 PM

Originally posted by Blofeld's Cat
Yes, most sincerest condolences to you and your family Darren. I really mean that, mate. :)

Thank you Blofeld's Cat, it's been a tough couple of days.

#57 rogermoore007

rogermoore007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 07:17 PM

Originally posted by goldengun
I have seen the benefits of being part of the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Roger Moore.  How can I join?

I want to join this blessed club - if you deem me worthy  (**I remain hopeful**)...

I would like to join also

#58 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 03:35 AM

OK...folks here's how you join....you send me a pm and say you want to be in the Society...and that's it.

Then you add to your signature that you are a "Supporter" of the SPCRM. That's it.

Soon we will have a whole troop of supporters, enforcers, and Executive Board members who will prevent cruelty towards our Roger. :-D This is a good thing.

Welcome to one and all!

#59 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 09:10 PM

I recently joined the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Roger Moore! Now, if you are cruel to Roger Moore, I will be out to get you.

#60 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 08:28 PM

who is cruel to roger?? how can you be...

must be pretty dumb if you are??

The guy who wrote and invented that dam character wanted Roger to play Bond FIRST!!

all the crew,stuntman, actors seem to love roger the best! he had NO ego!!! and NOW after bond, roger helps out poor kids.. without looking for press for doing it!!!

he is The Saint if you ask me!! :)

all class.. and anyone who is cruel to him, I think you are a real moron?? Because what has he ever done in his career to be nothing more then class?