This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Calling all members of the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Roger Moore....

72 replies to this topic

#1 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 06 July 2002 - 02:27 AM

As has been discussed in the thread where folks submitted three questions that Pierce Brosnan could answer in a dreamworld, MBE has made some "cruel" remarks about Roger Moore. She then went on to publicly admit she has done the same in private emails.

MBE has already be sentenced to watching the party scene in TND while only hearing Teri Hatcher's voice. That's what provoked her next remark..saying that if she was brought before the UN humanitarian council, she would use Mary Goodnight and Sheriff Pepper as evidence against Roger.

This is yet another uncalled for attack against Roger...for how could Roger possibly control the acting abilities of those two performers. (Not that I thought there was anything wrong with their performances.)

My fellow members of the SPCRM...what shall we do now?

-- Xenobia

#2 PaulZ108

PaulZ108

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 06 July 2002 - 02:43 AM

Let's take the Teri Hatcher method of torture to the next level and make her sit through Hatcher's Radio Shack commercials at full volume again and again.

And on the matter of Pepper and Goodnight...

I find that the script was more to blame for their problems and this has nothing to do with his excellency (a title which I believe Freemo first gave Moore). Ekland's performance doesn't seem particularly bad, it's just that she's stuck playing such an idiotic and usless character and would be annoying no matter how hard she tried. Clifton James' acting didn't seem particularly bad (he was pretty convincing as an obnoxious southern cop for someone from New York), it's just that the character was extremely over-used and stopped being funny after the first few minutes of his screen time in Live and Let Die.

#3 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 06 July 2002 - 02:44 AM

OOOH OHH, my very own lynch mob! Xen, is that a torch in your hand? If not here's some more fuel, only the great Christopher Lee and the cool and lovely Maude Adams are blameless in the "it's so bad I'd rather watch AVTAK" film that is TMWTTG. Make of that what you will. :)

Oh and Xen if you're going to measure the rope at least get my complaints correct. I never singled out their performances, I pointed them out as characters, which actually includes the writers who created those annoying characters as well as the performances. Bloody cringeworthy on all fronts. :)

MBE

#4 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 06 July 2002 - 02:59 AM

Xen, I think you need to relax a bit, or people will think that you're obsessed with Roger. And Pierce, for that matter.

PS: Not really too sure that this is the place for this thread. Maybe it belongs in General Discussion as it really doesn't relate specificly to the Moore movies, but rather to the SPCRM fan club.

PPS: With Roger being English, maybe it should be called the RSPCRM (R standing for Royal). Now I've done it! I've used the "R" thing, which it another issue of Xen's.
:)

#5 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 06 July 2002 - 05:20 AM

BC: I think everyone knows now that the SPCRM is a pseudo society...created for humorous purposes only. No need to worry...everyone knows I am insane, they can draw their own conclusions from there. That being said, if you think this thread should be moved, please show me how to do so, and I will.

MBE: Sorry for the misquote...but again, you can't blame Roger for how the characters are written. :)

Paul: No one deserves TH's radio shack commericals...except for herself maybe. :)

-- Xenobia

#6 Hardyboy

Hardyboy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 472 posts

Posted 06 July 2002 - 06:03 AM

Darn. . .I thought we were gonna get a good old-fashioned cat fight here!:)

#7 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 06 July 2002 - 07:29 AM

Can you enlighten us upon why it is a bad thing to be cruel to Roger Moore? I'm making up my mind whether savaging the chap is worth my while and I'd just like to know what the purposes of the society are.

#8 mrmoon

mrmoon

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 06 July 2002 - 10:50 AM

The purpose of the SPCRM is to uphold the law and protect a living legend from unecessary abuse. Roger is 'the man' and any abuse thrown at him is not taken lightly by his supporters.

Remember - No-one can quite wear a safari suit like Roger Moore :)

(In all seriousness how can anyone be a Bond fan and not like Roger Moore ?)

#9 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 06 July 2002 - 08:23 PM

Ok, Roger Moore wasn't the best Bond, but he was'nt the worst. He has contributed a lot to the Bond series, made 3 brilliant films out of seven(TSWLM,FYEO,OP), 2 good films(LALD,AVTAK) and 2 really bad films(TMWTGG,MR):) . But hey, he isn't so bad, he was definately suave, english and Bond, well, for seven films, and we should appreciate that. Any actor who plays Bond should be respected (even Dalton;) kiddin)and by no means should he be trodden on. And another thing, Moore starred in my fav Bond film, TSWLM.

#10 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 06 July 2002 - 10:53 PM

I've been thinking, can I join your society Xen?

#11 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 07 July 2002 - 05:32 AM

The SPCRM exists in equal parts to make sure that Roger Moore is not maligned for things that were beyond his control (ie questionable costume choices or poorly written characters) and to make sure that the seven films that he made as Bond are not unjustly trashed.

I agree that there are moments, particularly toward the end of the Moore Canon, where one must wonder what exactly the A cast and crew were smoking when working on a scene or a line of dialogue, but for the most part RM did an excellent job seeing Bond through the 70's and into the 80's which were some of the most insane and innane decades ever, (if I may so).

Anyone can join our society and you are most welcome to be in our ranks Carver.

As for you Jim, since it is always worth your while to make me crazy, why let a little thing like the SPCRM stop you? :-)

-- Xenobia

PS: I am glad to see you posting again. I was wondering when you would come back, and I must confess, I was a tad worried about you.

#12 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 07 July 2002 - 04:49 PM

Hmmmm define "unjustly trashed". And very interesting that you point out that at the end of his tenure there were moments to make you scratch your head wondering what the writers and crew were smoking but nothing in TMWTGG does? I just find that hard to believe. :)

What? No issues with the comically wedgied sumor wrestlers? Or little girls saving Bond's :)? Or Goodnight flipping the switch with her bottom? Hmmmm, TMWTGG seems to be rather fixated in a certain area, evidently it calls for another article on Bondian subtext. :)

As for you Hardyboy, I expected a little support. I've read your treatise on the abomination that is TMWTGG, and yet what do I get, cat fight wishes. Am I dissapointed. :)

MBE

#13 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 07 July 2002 - 10:56 PM

Originally posted by Mourning Becomes Electra
What?  No issues with the comically wedgied sumor wrestlers?  Or little girls saving Bond's :)?  Or Goodnight flipping the switch with her bottom?  Hmmmm, TMWTGG seems to be rather fixated in a certain area, evidently it calls for another article on Bondian subtext. :)

And of course there's The Bottoms Up Club too.

The Man With The Golden Gun seems to be the butt of it's own joke.

However, lets not get into the whole pool scene with Chew Mee and the third nipple.

#14 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 08 July 2002 - 01:57 AM

I never said that there were stinker moments in TMWGG, and yes, Chew Mee's name was a bit much...but again, this is not something Moore could control.

As for the Bottom's Up Club...what's wrong with that?

-- Xenobia

#15 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 08 July 2002 - 02:33 AM

Originally posted by Xenobia
As for the Bottom's Up Club...what's wrong with that?

Nothing what so ever, Xen. Someone was listing butt related plot points, so I included this one.

I happen to know that there actually is
a night club in Honkers called The Bottoms Up Club, with a large neon sign out the front with a mosaic of photos showing closeups of naked female derrieres. And inside there are.....

I sharn't say anymore as people may think I've patronised this establishment.

#16 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 08 July 2002 - 02:48 AM

What...our dear BC doing something like going into a naughty bar? Who would think such thoughts? Not I...not until you put the thought in my head...:)

Mr. Bond does know all the good places to drink, doesn't he? Think the Bottom's Up will make an appearance in DAD?

-- Xenobia

#17 Donovan

Donovan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 08 July 2002 - 10:45 PM

I like Roger Moore. His Bond taught me that there's more to this character than what Ian Fleming wrote. I cannot help but think that Fleming would have approved of Moore, since he supposedly thought David Niven would be ideal to play Bond.

There is some satisfaction in the fact that "Octopussy" outgrossed "Never Say Never Again". It was a team victory, to be sure, but Roger deserves an awful lot of credit.

I think his performance in "The Spy Who Loved Me" was his best. I never really thought he ever gave a bad performance though.

-Joe

#18 JJ Guy

JJ Guy

Cadet

• Crew
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 July 2002 - 03:18 AM

I'll join this club!! not even MGM gives moore credit for what he did for the series!

#19 freemo

freemo

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 2995 posts

Posted 11 July 2002 - 03:26 AM

JJ's here, cool, I knew you'd be part of any Moore related rally. :)

Count me in too.

#20 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 11 July 2002 - 03:35 AM

I have a posse forming! This is so cool!

I am glad to see that there are folks out there who do respect Mr. Moore's immense contribution to the series! This is awesome.

Let's get out there and share the Roger love!

-- Xenobia

#21 JJ Guy

JJ Guy

Cadet

• Crew
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 July 2002 - 04:59 PM

Originally posted by freemo
JJ's here, cool, I knew you'd be part of any Moore related rally. :)

but of course!!:)

#22 WC

WC

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1415 posts

Posted 13 July 2002 - 04:25 PM

I seem to remember something about Roger Moore singing a song about talking to the animals when he was crossing that great river of crocodiles in Live and Let Die. Did I just imagine that or was it true? Or maybe I'm confusing it with some other show.

#23 JJ Guy

JJ Guy

Cadet

• Crew
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 July 2002 - 07:57 PM

I think your thinking of something else.

#24 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 14 July 2002 - 05:31 AM

Welshcat, it is possible that Moore might have sung "Talk to the Animals" from the musical "Dr. Doolittle" during one of the outtakes from that scene, but that never made it to the movies.

As far as I know, Sean Connery's Bond is the only one to sing in a movie.

-- Xenobia

#25 PaulZ108

PaulZ108

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1569 posts

Posted 14 July 2002 - 05:45 AM

Originally posted by Welshcat
I seem to remember something about Roger Moore singing a song about talking to the animals when he was crossing that great river of crocodiles in Live and Let Die. Did I just imagine that or was it true? Or maybe I'm confusing it with some other show.

I've seriously had similar odd memories. For some reason when I started watching Live and Let Die for the first time in a while a long time ago (I was 11 at the time and had seen it when I was very little) I was expecting to see Moore escape by going over a waterfall and taking a hang-glider out of the speedboat, be chased by alligators, and finally be cornered in a tunnel by Fatima Blush and shove a grenade in her mouth to blow her up.

#26 WC

WC

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1415 posts

Posted 14 July 2002 - 09:14 AM

Now I remember. Roger sang "Talk to the Animals" in an episode of the Muppet Show. Jolly good job he did too! Better than Pierce Brosnan's effort in Muppets Tonight decades later.

#27 JJ Guy

JJ Guy

Cadet

• Crew
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 July 2002 - 04:36 PM

I'd love to see that!! are the muppets in re-runs any where?

#28 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 14 July 2002 - 08:22 PM

Originally posted by Blofeld's Cat

I happen to know that there actually is
a night club in Honkers called The Bottoms Up Club, with a large neon sign out the front with a mosaic of photos showing closeups of naked female derrieres. And inside there are.....

I sharn't say anymore as people may think I've patronised this establishment.

I worked in Hong Kong for a bit and at that time, it did exist on Hankow Road. I stayed in a Hostel just opposite so it wasn't much of a Great Find. While not actually patronising the place, I did stick my head inside and it is actually very red as opposed to the yellow and bright interior.

I have since heard that it was forced to close down for some reason.

#29 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 14 July 2002 - 11:20 PM

It's now called The Belly Up Club. :)

Xen is most likely pulling her hair out about now, never imagining that this thread would go down this path.
:)

#30 WC

WC

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1415 posts

Posted 15 July 2002 - 07:29 PM

Originally posted by PaulZ108

I've seriously had similar odd memories.  For some reason when I started watching Live and Let Die for the first time in a while a long time ago (I was 11 at the time and had seen it when I was very little) I was expecting to see Moore escape by going over a waterfall and taking a hang-glider out of the speedboat, be chased by alligators, and finally be cornered in a tunnel by Fatima Blush and shove a grenade in her mouth to blow her up.

I think something like that actually happened in the Danger Girl comic book/ graphic novel. She ran across some alligators but unlike Roger, Abbey Chase got the seat of her pants bitten off, leaving her bum showing. Then there was other stuff ripped off from James Bond, and some mentor with a pony tail who looked like Sean Connery in Medicine Man. But let's not mention Sir Sean here, because it's cruel to Roger.