418 replies to this topic

#61 PrinceKamalKhan

PrinceKamalKhan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11139 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 03:12 AM

Thanks. I just finished the first disc with the pilot and the two regular episodes. I'm glad they replaced the pilot Danno with MacArthur. It was funny that the pilot would now be rated R since Danno was smoking in the police station scene where they figured out the ship was where Wo Fat had his "cocoon". Interesting to see Lt. Hip from TMWTGG in the debut episode as well. Nancy Kwan was stunning as usual as McGarrett's hippy love interest. Did she ever appear in another episode?

This was Nancy Kwan's only Five-O appearance.

Too bad. I love Nancy Kwan and she would have made a great recurring girlfriend for McGarrett.

In later seasons, some guest stars of note:

-- Maud Adams (season 10 or so).
-- Luciana Paluzzi (also season 10).

Definitely looking forward to seeing Maud and Luciana. Any other Bond girls or other Bond actors appear on the show?

Just watched "Samurai" with Ricardo Montalban last night. Interesting to see him play a Japanese character. Watching these shows and all the gorgeous onlocation footage makes me want to go to Hawaii again.

#62 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 02:52 AM

In later seasons, some guest stars of note:

-- Maud Adams (season 10 or so).
-- Luciana Paluzzi (also season 10).

Definitely looking forward to seeing Maud and Luciana. Any other Bond girls or other Bond actors appear on the show?

Donald Plesance, "The Ninety Second War" (part 2 only), another one of the Wo Fat stories, season 4.

#63 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 11:01 PM

re: more James Bond connections to Hawaii Five-O.

How could I forget these two:

-- Yaphet Kotto, "King of the Hill," season 1.

-- Harold Sakata, "I'm A Family Crook, Don't Shoot," season 5 (the one with Andy Griffith as a grifter, directed by Bob Sweeney). Sakata plays a thug.

#64 PrinceKamalKhan

PrinceKamalKhan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11139 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 01:40 AM

Thanks, Napoleon.

Just finished watching the episode where Tommy Sands hams it up as cat burglar/lounge singer with a bad haircut. I think my favorite episode so far is the one where McGarrett goes undercover as a prisoner. Interesting to see McGarrett act so differently than usual. 3 Questions for you:

1)What is the best season of Hawaii 5-0 in your opinion?

2)Was Steve McQueen ever considered for the role of McGarrett? The role would have been an excellent fit for the "King of Cool."

3)How many times did someone sing "Ain't no big thing, brother when thing aren't looking up" on the show? I've counted 3 so far and I'm only halfway through the 1st season.

#65 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 23 May 2007 - 07:50 AM

Thanks, Napoleon.

Just finished watching the episode where Tommy Sands hams it up as cat burglar/lounge singer with a bad haircut.

Just on this, I recently saw this ep too and was amazed how much he looked like Bruce Lee from certain angles.

#66 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 28 May 2007 - 03:48 PM

Thanks, Napoleon.

Just finished watching the episode where Tommy Sands hams it up as cat burglar/lounge singer with a bad haircut. I think my favorite episode so far is the one where McGarrett goes undercover as a prisoner. Interesting to see McGarrett act so differently than usual. 3 Questions for you:

1)What is the best season of Hawaii 5-0 in your opinion?

2)Was Steve McQueen ever considered for the role of McGarrett? The role would have been an excellent fit for the "King of Cool."

3)How many times did someone sing "Ain't no big thing, brother when thing aren't looking up" on the show? I've counted 3 so far and I'm only halfway through the 1st season.

1. I'd say the third, with the fifth close behind. The third includes two Wo Fat stories (covering a total of three episodes), two two-part stories (one of the aforementioned Wo Fat stories plus the last two episodes of the season, "The Grandstand Play," parts I and II). The season has a number of very strong stories, with quality consistently high. (IMO)

The fifth season features the only three part story ("V for Vashon") and a dynamite one-part Wo Fat story ("The Jinn Who Clears the Way").

2. As far as I know, McQueen never was mentioned as McGarrett. McQueen's movie stardom was at its height at this time. He had done television and didn't seem to be looking back.

3. A lot. :-)

#67 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 01:19 PM

I wasn't asked the question, but I'll answer anyway! :cooltongue: I like the fourth season best and would recommend it without hesitation. It's the last season with what I call the "Classic Cast" of McG, Danno, Chin, and Kono. Kono leaves after this season. IMO they never found a suitable replacement for him...and yes, this includes Duke, another stalwart Five-O team member.

#68 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 01 June 2007 - 09:34 PM

Currently on disc 4 and enjoying the 1st season greatly. Can't remember seeing any of these eps and probably won't start noticing familiarity until about season 8 or 9!

Amusingly, towards the end of the end credits I swear that the police car nearly runs over a (police?) motorcyclist and he sure looks pissed off judging his erratic driving reactions.

#69 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 02:18 AM

I wasn't asked the question, but I'll answer anyway! :cooltongue: I like the fourth season best and would recommend it without hesitation. It's the last season with what I call the "Classic Cast" of McG, Danno, Chin, and Kono. Kono leaves after this season. IMO they never found a suitable replacement for him...and yes, this includes Duke, another stalwart Five-O team member.

I definitely concur about Kono.

In 1996, Zulu, along with James MacArthur and Kam Fong, attended the Five-O fan convention in Los Angeles. Zulu had had a rough time of it. Yet he retained his sense of humor. There was an informal gathering the first night that went something like this:

FAN: Zulu, you look great. You've must have lost some weight. How did you do it?

ZULU (deadpan): Two heart attacks, two strokes. It'll do it every time.

During the weekend, he hung around with fans watching episodes (being shown with a film projctor), just hanging out. As I was leaving the hotel, he was at the door. He thanked me for showing up. I guessed he had said that to a good many fans throughout.

I also got the impression Zulu and James MacArthur got along pretty well. They were talking together with fans. MacArthur commented how "you were really burning the candles at both ends in those days." Apparently, Zulu filmed Five-O during the day then did a nightclub act at night.

I always thought Five-O could have made more use of Kono. One of my favorite episodes featuring the character was a third-season episode involving the kidnapping the young son of a rich man. Kono ends up being captured as well during a bungled money exchange. Kono helps the boy escape and absorbs a beating at the hands of the kidnappers.

Suffice to say, Zulu is eventually rescued but has a close call. At the end, as he's about to ride off in the ambulance, says something like, "I knew you'd make it, Steve. But next time, bruddah, don't cut it so close."

#70 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 01:17 PM

Zulu was not what I'd call a "great" actor, but he's such a delight to watch! He's got natural charm and his deadpan style works well, especially when delivering a one liner. But check out "Face of the Dragon", when he's getting that shot and watch his expression. Priceless!

Blofeld's Cat: I'm in the opposite situation that you're in; I'm more familiar with seasons 1-5 and 11-12 than I am with 6-10. For some reason, my Five-O interest always coincided while certain season were airing on my local affiliate, so seasons 6-10 are largely uncharted territory for me.

EDIT: Which season begins McGarrett's "tropical look"? You know, when he wears those wide-brimmed hats and colorful smocks.

Edited by Brian Flagg, 02 June 2007 - 01:18 PM.

#71 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 08:37 PM

Zulu was not what I'd call a "great" actor, but he's such a delight to watch! He's got natural charm and his deadpan style works well, especially when delivering a one liner. But check out "Face of the Dragon", when he's getting that shot and watch his expression. Priceless!

Blofeld's Cat: I'm in the opposite situation that you're in; I'm more familiar with seasons 1-5 and 11-12 than I am with 6-10. For some reason, my Five-O interest always coincided while certain season were airing on my local affiliate, so seasons 6-10 are largely uncharted territory for me.

EDIT: Which season begins McGarrett's "tropical look"? You know, when he wears those wide-brimmed hats and colorful smocks.

re: tropical look. I'd say "V for Vashon: the Patriarch" in season five is an early (if not the first). Steve has gone into semi-seclusion after getting framed. That's at least the first time I recall him wearing the wide-brimmed hat. He wears some colorful shirts as early as season 1, but not every often (e.g. when he meets Danno when the cruise ship docks in the first episode, causing Danno to remark that McG's shirt is "blinding me.")

#72 ke02eww

ke02eww

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 132 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 10:06 PM

re: tropical look. I'd say "V for Vashon: the Patriarch" in season five is an early (if not the first). Steve has gone into semi-seclusion after getting framed. That's at least the first time I recall him wearing the wide-brimmed hat. He wears some colorful shirts as early as season 1, but not every often (e.g. when he meets Danno when the cruise ship docks in the first episode, causing Danno to remark that McG's shirt is "blinding me.")

i know this belngs in the collecting section, but i doubted you'd see it..

did u know Jack Lord's estate is selling off his old costumes, etc, on ebay?..

http://search.ebay.c...f...&category0=

#73 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 01:35 PM

I think that any first season Aloha Shirts and Hawaiian culture references in general were made to tout the fact that there was some great on-location shooting going on in this "new" (1968) series! We never see McG at home during the first few seasons, do we? Other than his trip to California to help his sister (too bad we didn't get more of that), so maybe the tropical look was a way of showing the "personal" side of McG, who also played guitar, painted, and cooked.

#74 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 03:22 PM

One thing does concern me about the season two set, though. Amazon lists it as a six disc set, even though there are 25 episodes. How will all of the episodes be contained on just six discs? Maybe it's just a typo...

I think this bears repeating. If they do include "Bored, She Hung Herself", will this be a 7 disc set? Or will it be omitted? Or will one of the discs be a double-sided affair?

BTW, watched "Cocoon" again and I liked the humorous touch of "Chin Ho Kelly strikes again", but I can see how they couldn't really expand on the character, other than the many references to Chin's endless number of relatives.

#75 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 05:21 PM

BTW, watched "Cocoon" again and I liked the humorous touch of "Chin Ho Kelly strikes again", but I can see how they couldn't really expand on the character, other than the many references to Chin's endless number of relatives.

There are two episodes that give Chin Ho more screen time than normal. One, "Cry, Lie," should be on the season two set. Chin gets framed as part of a scheme hatched by Martin Sheen. In a later season, one of Chin's daughters married a crook played by Erik Estrada.

#76 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 07:28 AM

Just finished watching the last ep and TV special on disc 7 the box-set. While I enjoyed watching all these eps I can't remember ever seeing before (especially the pilot!!), I'm not going to continue buying the box-sets as they come out. Can't really afford it.

Instead, I'm saving my money to collect the Mission Impossible box-sets, which I enjoyed that much more.

#77 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 07:30 PM

Just finished watching the last ep and TV special on disc 7 the box-set. While I enjoyed watching all these eps I can't remember ever seeing before (especially the pilot!!), I'm not going to continue buying the box-sets as they come out. Can't really afford it.
Instead, I'm saving my money to collect the Mission Impossible box-sets, which I enjoyed that much more.

That's too bad. I'm happy to see that Five-O's first season sold so well. It was surprising to see the outpouring of affection for that nasty old git, Jack Lord and company. We fans are thrilled that they're releasing the season sets every four months, which is two months faster than any other vintage shows. Praise the (Jack) Lord!

#78 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 01:49 PM

Watched a season 11 episode I had recorded ("A Very Personal Matter") and while it is a pretty good entry, especially at this stage of Five-O's run, it still has an air of tiredness, with McGarrett wearing that darn leisure suit and his greying, wispy sideburns, as well as his lack of energy, which is quite a contrast after having watched so many season one episodes. Did I forget Danno's powder blue suit?

#79 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 01:46 AM

Watched a season 11 episode I had recorded ("A Very Personal Matter") and while it is a pretty good entry, especially at this stage of Five-O's run, it still has an air of tiredness, with McGarrett wearing that darn leisure suit and his greying, wispy sideburns, as well as his lack of energy, which is quite a contrast after having watched so many season one episodes. Did I forget Danno's powder blue suit?

Jack Lord would have been 57 at the start of production of the 11th season. So I suppose he wouldn't be as energetic as the first season. But I think the absence of Leonard Freeman, who died in early 1974, had a greater effect. Freeman set a direction that other producers could follow for some time. By the 11th campaign, that had dissipated.

#80 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 02:04 PM

Just watched the Diagnosis: Murder ep from 1997 that featured Mike Connors reprising his Joe Mannix role. Nice touch to have Dr. Sloan (Dick Van Dyke) "established" as having treated Mannix during the prime of Joe's career in the early 1970s...no Peggy in the ep, however; she must have been battling cancer at the time. Though she is mentioned.

....Which brings me to "It's too bad that Mannix and Five-O didn't have a crossover during their concurrent runs question". Both (Five-O 1968-80) aired on CBS and Mannix (1967-75)could've easily come to the islands in search of a kidnapped Peggy Fair.

Edited by Brian Flagg, 16 July 2007 - 02:05 PM.

#81 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 02:10 AM

Diagnosis: Murder also had a episode in which Barbara Bain reprised her role as Cinammon Carter. In one scene, in the background, there's a picture of Cinnamon getting some kind of award from Ronald Reagan and George Bush (the older GW). Other guest stars in that episode included Robert Culp and Robert Vaughn.

Just watched the Diagnosis: Murder ep from 1997 that featured Mike Connors reprising his Joe Mannix role. Nice touch to have Dr. Sloan (Dick Van Dyke) "established" as having treated Mannix during the prime of Joe's career in the early 1970s...no Peggy in the ep, however; she must have been battling cancer at the time. Though she is mentioned.

....Which brings me to "It's too bad that Mannix and Five-O didn't have a crossover during their concurrent runs question". Both (Five-O 1968-80) aired on CBS and Mannix (1967-75)could've easily come to the islands in search of a kidnapped Peggy Fair.

Mannis was first made by Desilu, then Paramount (after it acquired Desilu) and Five-O was made in-house by CBS. That crossover wasn't possible because of the different ownership. Ironically, now both are under the same corporate ownership.

#82 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 04:24 PM

A group photo of the Diagnosis: Murder guest stars who had earlier been in 1960s spy shows:

http://www.imdb.com/...v... Robert (I)

Of the group, only Barbara Bain actually reprised her character.

#83 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 07:03 PM

One thing does concern me about the season two set, though. Amazon lists it as a six disc set, even though there are 25 episodes. How will all of the episodes be contained on just six discs? Maybe it's just a typo...

I think this bears repeating. If they do include "Bored, She Hung Herself", will this be a 7 disc set? Or will it be omitted? Or will one of the discs be a double-sided affair?

Here's what I read on TV.Com, and a few other sites have mentioned it as well, including the Five-O newsgroup:

"I recently received an advanced copy of the Hawaii Five-O Season 2 DVD and the set is missing the episode "Bored, She Hung Herself."
The box states: "The Second Season Episode "Bored, She Hung Herself" aired only once and is not included in this set. Some episodes may be edited from their original network versions."
So Paramount strikes again. Not only is it missing an episode, but the studio cheaped out and used the syndicated versions."

Oh, well. I figured as much when I saw that season two will be a six-disc set. I just hope the rest of the episodes are uncut.

#84 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 10:27 PM

Here's what I read on TV.Com, and a few other sites have mentioned it as well, including the Five-O newsgroup:

"I recently received an advanced copy of the Hawaii Five-O Season 2 DVD and the set is missing the episode "Bored, She Hung Herself."
The box states: "The Second Season Episode "Bored, She Hung Herself" aired only once and is not included in this set. Some episodes may be edited from their original network versions."
So Paramount strikes again. Not only is it missing an episode, but the studio cheaped out and used the syndicated versions."

Oh, well. I figured as much when I saw that season two will be a six-disc set. I just hope the rest of the episodes are uncut.

Arrggghhhh.

Again for background: It was Leonard Freeman himself who made the decision that "Bored, She Hung Herself," would never be part of the syndication package. I guess no one wants to un-do that decision. Maybe, for legal reasons, CBS-Paramount Television can't un-do it.

The episode depicts a young man hanging. He appears to be dead, but revives. We're told this is a yoga technique (which I suspect was just made up by writer Mel Goldberg). Somone else turns up dead (the body is discovered by a young boy) and the first young man we saw, naturally, is the lead suspect.

I only saw it once, at a convention of Five-O fans in Los Angeles in 1996. The person who showed it had a filmed copy. Apparently, there are copies floating about where someone taped the episode being projected on a wall or screen.

#85 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 11:34 PM

God, this kind of thing pisses me off! It's an episode of a tv series, not a frickin' snuff film! I think those of us who would purchase this set are not so fragile that a hanging depicted in a tv show would have us suffering nightmares.

#86 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 01:45 AM

God, this kind of thing pisses me off! It's an episode of a tv series, not a frickin' snuff film! I think those of us who would purchase this set are not so fragile that a hanging depicted in a tv show would have us suffering nightmares.

Let me preface this my saying I agree with you. However, within a day or so after the one-and-only airing of "Bored, She Hung Herself," somebody tried this and killed themselves. At least that is the explanation that Rose Freeman (Leonard Freeman's widow) gave at the 1996 Five-O convention in Los Angeles.

#87 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 03:43 AM

Let me preface this my saying I agree with you. However, within a day or so after the one-and-only airing of "Bored, She Hung Herself," somebody tried this and killed themselves. At least that is the explanation that Rose Freeman (Leonard Freeman's widow) gave at the 1996 Five-O convention in Los Angeles.

I didn't know that. That is very sad to hear. That also happened 30 some odd years ago. While I can understand that prompting CBS and Freeman not to re-air the episode, it shouldn't affect its inclusion in a dvd set decades later.

I am reminded that some kids over the years have tied towels around their necks as a cape and have tried to fly like Superman, hurting or killing themselves in the process. That hasn't stopped Superman appearing in animation or live action on tv and the movies, nor has it prevented such product being released on video or dvd.

#88 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 01:04 PM

I guess people who claim vintage TV is "too tame" can shut up now, as everyone is apparently "sceered" of a forty-year-old TV episode.

I'm going to cancel my pre order until I get news that the remaining episodes of season two will be released uncut.

#89 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 12:09 AM

A review of the second season DVD set:

http://www.tvdvdrevi.../hawaii502.html

Nice to know that the "Be there, Aloha!" material is present. The set's running time is listed at 1206. I don't think the remaining episodes have been trimmed.

#90 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 11:54 PM

I find it ironic that they can include the episode promos for S2, which they didn't have in the S1 set, but not include "Bored, She Hung Herself". Sigh.