418 replies to this topic

#31 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 03:59 PM

And speaking of composers and TV music, it's great to see the "Wave" just before the commercial break spot with the often-thrilling incidental music playing over it. In particular, "Pray Love Remember, Pray Love Remember" when Kono goes to shoot Benny and McGarrett grabs him by the arm and says, "I want him alive!" and the that wave! So much of the drama and tension was lost when the syndicated cuts removed the waves. I always got the feeling something was missing when I watched the truncated, 45 minute shows. Five minutes added in makes a big difference! The pattern of the edits usually is one scene totally removed (about 2 and a half minutes), along with the waves (4 of them at 8 seconds each) and miscellaneous scenes shortened (time varies). It's probably been 2o years since I've seen many shows from the 1960s and 1970s uncut on TV. Shame.

#32 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 07:40 PM

Re: "wave" music before commercials.

The first season of Five-O coincided with the fourth, and final, season of The Wild, Wild West. Both shows were made in-house by CBS. As such, both had access to the CBS music library.

The "wave" music played at the end of Act I of "Strangers in Our Own Land" was re-used in Part II of "The Night of the Raven" (I think that's the title) over at WWW just before it went to commercial (I think at the end of Act II). Also, music from another Five-O "wave" shows up at the end of "Raven's" Act III.

Also, some of Richard Shores's score for "The Night of the Big Blackmail" shows up in the Five-O episode "The Box."

#33 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 07:48 PM

BTW, any insight on Jack Lord's personality and hos "retirement years" would be most welcome, Napoleon Solo!

In 1997, a pilot (never shown) was made by CBS for a Five-O revival. Some show (I don't know if it was Entertainment Tonight or one of its imitators) did a feature during the filming. Most of the cast members were pretty cagey about why Jack Lord wasn't around. But the show tracked down, I believe, Sharon Farrell, who said JL had Alzheimer's.

In the 1997 show, Gov. Dan Williams (James MacArthur) is shot and critically wounded. The current Five-O (including, ugh, Gary Busey) teams up with retired Five-O members Kono, Duke and Chin Ho to crack the case. The original actors, Zulu, Herman Wedemeyer and Kam Fong reprised their roles.

Just one little problem: Chin Ho got killed off at the end of season 10. CBS had commissioned Stephen J. Cannell to spearhead the '97 Five-O. I read accounts that Cannell had viewed something like 20 episodes before penning his script. Apprently, "A Death in the Family" wasn't one of them.

However, again according to the accounts I read, a CBS executive who viewed the finished product did remember Chin Ho getting killed off.

CBS never showed the program and it didn't sell as a revival series. CBS was in a legal fight at the time with Rose Freeman, the widow of Five-O creator Leonard Freeman, over who controlled the property. A judge eventually ruled on the side of Mrs. Freeman.

#34 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 01:20 PM

I'm glad the 1997 pilot never aired! It's wonderful that Mrs. Freeman fights hard on the side of her husband's legacy; HE could have been up there with Roy Huggins as a legendary TV creator.

As for the Five-O DVDs, I finally finished watching them and while I had half of season one previously on tape, seeing them uncut in addition to the whole season gives me the chance to rank my top ten list for season one:

10) The Box
9) Six Kilos
8)

#35 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 03:03 PM

"Once Upon a Time" is an absolute powerhouse! The last ten minutes of part one alone makes this one a must see!

I remember watching it when it was first shown on CBS. I never saw it again until sometime in the mid- to late-1990s and it was as good as I recalled.

A Five-O fan told me that in the big emotional scene in Part I the camera supposedly ran out of film, ruining the take. People expected JL to be very upset. Instead, he is reported to have said, "Well, we'll just have to do it again."

I don't know if that anecdote is true, but it's one of those stories that *should be*.

#36 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 03:07 PM

"Once Upon a Time" is an absolute powerhouse! The last ten minutes of part one alone makes this one a must see!

I remember watching it when it was first shown on CBS. I never saw it again until sometime in the mid- to late-1990s and it was as good as I recalled.

A Five-O fan told me that in the big emotional scene in Part I the camera supposedly ran out of film, ruining the take. People expected JL to be very upset. Instead, he is reported to have said, "Well, we'll just have to do it again."

I don't know if that anecdote is true, but it's one of those stories that *should be*.

I'd tend to believe the Lord anecdote was true, as art often times thrives in the face of adversity. Jack Lord was obviously the heart and soul of Five-O and if anything, he was an underrated actor; many times, he's downright brilliant! You will enjoy the transfers on the DVD set.

#37 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 03:10 PM

Also, re: "Once Upon a Time," besides the big scenes there are lots little "bits of busienss" (as Tom Mankiewicz would refer to them) that make the story very enjoyable.
At the start of Part II, Zipser (David Sheiner) lays out a whole series of things McGarrett must prove to get a conviction on a serious count. Later, as McGarrett is knocking these down one by one, we see Zipser say two things to a fellow U.S. official. One time, he says, if he ever makes it Hawaii, he won't exceed the speed limit by a mile and hour rather than have to face McG. Also, for a moment, Zipser *thinks* it might happen, pauses, then says something like, "Bah! It's *still* impossible!"
Also, in Part II, the scene between McG's sister and her husband is very engrossing. It only lasts a minute or so, but it's great.
But perhaps the best "bit of business" was Danno's scene with McG in Part I, when he enters the Big Kahuna's office after the bossman has been in there for several hours. "Steve, just this once, can't you back off?"

#38 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 03:23 PM

re: "Once Upon a Time" Absolutely. I thought McGarrett would have bitten Danno's head off! A great display of guts on Williams' part! When I first REALLY started getting into the show again, I thought that the chemistry between the principal characters was a bit "Cool", but further viewing has disabused me of that notion rather quickly! Great chemistry and wonderful humor between the Five-O crew, especially the Kono-Chin-Danno-McG version.

McGarrett can't be stopped, as season two's release date is supposed to be near:

http://www.tvshowson...cfm?NewsID=7044

#39 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 02:12 AM

Here's a link to a web site concerning an auction of Jack Lord's estate:

http://www.jacklordp...highlights.html

#40 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 04:14 AM

Here's the best rendition of Morton Stevens's Hawaii Five-O theme, the 90-second version that ran with the pilot:

http://www.youtube.c...c...ted&search=

#41 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 12:04 AM

I'd be curious to know why "Six Kilos" was considered a rarely-seen episode, as Mike Quigley's Five-O site states as much and I've read other fans' comments regarding its scarcity, though I have a copy from about three years ago. It couldn't be because of the subject matter.

#42 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 03:50 PM

Having watched the Five-O bonus feature once again, there was mention of Josie Over's death. Over was a familiar face to Five-O viewers, most notably (for me, anyway) in "The Ways of Love" and as superhot babe in season three's "Grandstand Play". Overall, she appeared in nine episodes in various minor roles, but a memorable beauty nevertheless. She died in 1992 of "Multiple Myeloma".

#43 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 13 April 2007 - 09:52 PM

It's out now here in Oz. EzyDVD and JB Hi-Fi are but 2 outlets selling it.

#44 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 07:48 PM

Hawaii Five-O season two due out July 31: (including "Bored, She Hung Herself"!)

http://www.tvshowson...cfm?NewsID=7180

Edited by Brian Flagg, 19 April 2007 - 07:51 PM.

#45 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 02:38 AM

Hawaii Five-O season two due out July 31: (including "Bored, She Hung Herself"!)

http://www.tvshowson...cfm?NewsID=7180

That's impressive. It's never been shown, ever, in syndication.

Season two is a peculiar season. It has the memorable two-part "Three Dead Cows at Makapuu" but it also has the groaner "To Hell With Babe Ruth" (I think that's the title), in which Mark Lenard wears Asian makeup and plays a Japanese man who doesn't know WWII is over. And we get two appearances by Wo Fat, one a full-fledged caper, the other a cameo.

#46 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 05:57 PM

So "Bored, She Hung Herself" aired only once? Or at least only during the 1969-70 season in a rerun?

"A Thousand Pardons, You're Dead!" is a great episode, and one of my favorites of the second season. It won composer Morton Stevens one of Five-O's two Emmy awards. The other being his score for "Hookman."

Five-O must have sold a ton if CBS/Paramount is releasing them a mere four months apart.

#47 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 07:27 PM

So "Bored, She Hung Herself" aired only once? Or at least only during the 1969-70 season in a rerun?

Rose Freeman, the widow of series creator Leonard Freeman, told fans at the 1996 convention in Los Angeles that it aired once, and only once. No reruns on CBS and it was withheld from syndication. The episode was shown, using a film projector, at the same convention. That's been the only time I've seen it. I've heard there are bootleg copies circulating out there but can't verify that.

#48 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 06:30 PM

Season Two of Hawaii Five-O is now up for preorder on Amazon.com, due out July 31, 2007.

#49 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 01:30 PM

Here's the season two cover:

http://www.thedigita...waii50s2dvd.jpg

#50 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 01:08 AM

Here's the season two cover:

http://www.thedigita...waii50s2dvd.jpg

Very cool. I finally got around to ordering season 1 a few days ago. Still awaiting because I didn't pay for extra-fast shipping from Amazon.com

#51 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 03:22 AM

I finally got my set this weekend. Picture and sound quality excellent, it was great seeing uncut episodes.

#52 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 12:15 AM

I finally got my set this weekend. Picture and sound quality excellent, it was great seeing uncut episodes.

Glad to hear it. You'll barely be finished when season two comes rolling around on July 31...

One thing does concern me about the season two set, though. Amazon lists it as a six disc set, even though there are 25 episodes. How will all of the episodes be contained on just six discs? Maybe it's just a typo...

#53 PrinceKamalKhan

PrinceKamalKhan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11139 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 07:12 AM

Isn't there a Hawaii 5-0 episode that George Lazenby appears in? If so, what season?

#54 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 03:56 PM

Isn't there a Hawaii 5-0 episode that George Lazenby appears in? If so, what season?

Yes. Check out post #19 of this very thread...the elevneth season, "The Year of the Horse", which I believe is also the last episode that James MacArthur appeared in. It's a two-parter.

#55 PrinceKamalKhan

PrinceKamalKhan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11139 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 04:14 PM

Yes. Check out post #19 of this very thread...the elevneth season, "The Year of the Horse", which I believe is also the last episode that James MacArthur appeared in. It's a two-parter.

Thanks. For those who've seen it, how's Lazenby's acting in it? Is he much better than in OHMSS? The only other acting job of Lazenby's I remember seeing was his turn as the mysterious, Aston Martin driving "JB" in Return of the Man from UNCLE.

#56 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 06:33 PM

I haven't seen the episode in many years, but THIS site has everything one ever needs to know about Five-O. It's one of the best websites dedicated to a single show. The Year of the Horse is reviewed further down the page in the link. Enjoy!

#57 PrinceKamalKhan

PrinceKamalKhan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11139 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 09:56 PM

I haven't seen the episode in many years, but THIS site has everything one ever needs to know about Five-O. It's one of the best websites dedicated to a single show. The Year of the Horse is reviewed further down the page in the link. Enjoy!

Thanks, Brian Flagg. I just bought the first season DVDs today. Am looking forward to watching the pilot with the charming and gorgeous Nancy Kwan.

#58 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 01:58 PM

"The Year of the Horse" when it debuted ran as a single, two-hour (including commercials) episode. It was re-edited to be a two-parter in syndication. Other episodes that got similar treatment included two Wo Fat episodes, "Murder -- Eyes Only" (the eighth-season opener) and "Nine Dragons" (the ninth-season opener) plus a non-Wo Far story, "A Lion in the Streets" (which kicked off the 12th season, and certainly the best story for the final season). The 11th season began with a single hour episode and midway through there was a two-parter. But the season ended with "The Year of the Horse" and it ran two hours.

Edited by Napoleon Solo, 13 May 2007 - 01:59 PM.

#59 PrinceKamalKhan

PrinceKamalKhan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11139 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 11:05 PM

Thanks. I just finished the first disc with the pilot and the two regular episodes. I'm glad they replaced the pilot Danno with MacArthur. It was funny that the pilot would now be rated R since Danno was smoking in the police station scene where they figured out the ship was where Wo Fat had his "cocoon". Interesting to see Lt. Hip from TMWTGG in the debut episode as well. Nancy Kwan was stunning as usual as McGarrett's hippy love interest. Did she ever appear in another episode?

#60 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 03:11 AM

Thanks. I just finished the first disc with the pilot and the two regular episodes. I'm glad they replaced the pilot Danno with MacArthur. It was funny that the pilot would now be rated R since Danno was smoking in the police station scene where they figured out the ship was where Wo Fat had his "cocoon". Interesting to see Lt. Hip from TMWTGG in the debut episode as well. Nancy Kwan was stunning as usual as McGarrett's hippy love interest. Did she ever appear in another episode?

This was Nancy Kwan's only Five-O appearance. However, Soon Taik Oh (Lt. Hip in TMWTGG) and Andrew Duggan would be among the more frequent guest stars, with the former showing up as early as "Face of the Dragon" in season 1.

In later seasons, some guest stars of note:

-- Andy Griffith, the leader of a family of grifters who get more they bargained for. The fifth-season episode was directed by Bob Sweeney, a Five-O producer that season who also directed a lot of early episodes of The Andy Griffith Show.
-- Maud Adams (season 10 or so).
-- Luciana Paluzzi (also season 10).
-- Al Michaels (season 2), future announcer on Monday Night Football and the current announcer on NBC's Sunday Night Football. Actually, he wasn't a guest star, per se, just a bit player. At the time, he was the announcer of Honolulu's minor-league baseball team. The main guest star in the episode was Christopher Walken.