418 replies to this topic

#1 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 03:16 PM

The complete first season is due out on February 27, 2007. A seven-disc set. Man, oh, man I can't wait. For those who haven't seen it, the show's pilot, "Coccoon", is the introduction of Coomunist Chinese agent Wo Fat and the two-hour pilot is very "Bond" as are most of the eps featuring Wo fat.

http://www.tvshowson...cfm?NewsID=6610

#2 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 18 November 2006 - 04:45 AM

Any show starring the man who inspired Traci Lords' professional name is fine with me. :P

Morton Stevens' theme is probably 2nd (behind The Persuaders!) on my "All-time Favourite TV Theme" list. :)

#3 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 05:49 AM

For more about the Wo Fat episodes of Hawaii Five-O....

http://www.hmss.com/...pies/mcgarrett/

Besides the pilot (with Wo Fat), the first season includes:

-- Once Upon a Time Parts I and II. A "personal" story for McGarrett, most of which takes place in Los Angeles. The only full script, in addition to the pilot, written by series creator Leonard Freeman.

-- "And They Painted Daisies on His Coffin". Danno, in the line of duty, kills a suspect for the first time. Except, the police can't find the weapon of the guy Danno shot.

-- "Pray Love Remember, Pray Love Remember." A young woman student at an international institute has been killed. One suspect is her boyfriend, the other a mentally-challenged man.

#4 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 05:00 PM

For more about the Wo Fat episodes of Hawaii Five-O....

Besides the pilot (with Wo Fat), the first season includes:

-- Once Upon a Time Parts I and II. A "personal" story for McGarrett, most of which takes place in Los Angeles. The only full script, in addition to the pilot, written by series creator Leonard Freeman.

-- "And They Painted Daisies on His Coffin". Danno, in the line of duty, kills a suspect for the first time. Except, the police can't find the weapon of the guy Danno shot.

-- "Pray Love Remember, Pray Love Remember." A young woman student at an international institute has been killed. One suspect is her boyfriend, the other a mentally-challenged man.

Bill, I was going to mention your fine reviews, but you don't post here enough, so I thought, "Let him do it himself!":)

In addition to the eps mentioned, I also like 'No Blue Skies", which concerns a cat lounge singer who moonlights as a cat burglar(!)

I'm glad these are finally coming out on DVD; the cut to pieces versions that ran on US TV are heavily edited, with much of the "Politically Incorrect" material getting the axe.

Oh, and McGarrett cries in "Once Upon a Time", great stuff!

Edited by Brian Flagg, 18 November 2006 - 05:08 PM.

#5 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 06:25 PM

The question will be, assuming there's an eventual release of season two episodes, whether they include the "lost" episode.

That story, "Bored, She Hung Herself," features the depiction of a supposed yoga technique where somone actually is hanging from a rafter (but is alive). Apparently, someone saw the episode and tried it -- with fatal results. As a result, the show was not rerun and has never been included in syndication.

I saw it at a 1996 Hawaii Five-O convention in Los Angeles, where all the original cast appeared except for Jack Lord. Someone had the actual film of the episode.

#6 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 06:55 PM

The question will be, assuming there's an eventual release of season two episodes, whether they include the "lost" episode.

That story, "Bored, She Hung Herself," features the depiction of a supposed yoga technique where somone actually is hanging from a rafter (but is alive). Apparently, someone saw the episode and tried it -- with fatal results. As a result, the show was not rerun and has never been included in syndication.

I saw it at a 1996 Hawaii Five-O convention in Los Angeles, where all the original cast appeared except for Jack Lord. Someone had the actual film of the episode.

I don't see why they wouldn't, the racial epithets uttered by Yaphet Kotto in season one's "King of the Hill" episode must also be considered "controversial", and is ommitted from the syndicated copy I have. Let's hope everything is uncut and included. They did it with "Looney Tunes" (except for the "Censored 11", that is)

#7 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 12:26 AM

I hope the first season sells well; I'd be happy if they'd just make it through the "Kono Years" (seasons 1-4) but I'll even buy the dreaded twelfth season!

#8 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 02:23 AM

I hope the first season sells well; I'd be happy if they'd just make it through the "Kono Years" (seasons 1-4) but I'll even buy the dreaded twelfth season!

I'll second that.

Zulu (whose real first name was Gilbert and I don't recall his real last name) was present, along with James MacArthur and Kam Fong, at a 1996 Five-O convention in Los Angeles and Honolulu. (I only attended the LA portion.) He had been through some rough times, including two heart attacks and two strokes. But he came across as genuinely funny and personable. At one point, they were showing episodes on a film projector in a room at the hotel. Zulu came by and watched a few. They started showing a fifth-season episode and he (jokingly) booed as his replacement (Ben Harrington) appeared in the main titles.

#9 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 07:58 PM

Bill, do you know the "real" story as to why Zulu was booted from the show? I've heard everything from he got tired of being the only native Hawaiian, and playing the "clown" to he uttered an anti-Semitic remark and Jack Lord had him tossed from the show.

Harrington had a cool intro in the opening credits (jumping the fence and running in a suit), but Zulu's (charging up the steps to the freighter) was better, IMO.

Five-O has all but vanished from syndication in recent years, but a friend of mine taped some (about 26 episodes; mostly seasons 1-2;11-12). I sure miss the show and would kill (okay, maybe not) for some fourth and fifth season shows I recall fondly from my childhood.

EDIT: Season One of FIVE-O has been delayed one week to March 6, 2007.

Plus, season two of "The Wild, Wild West" is due March 20, 2007.

Edited by Brian Flagg, 04 December 2006 - 08:33 PM.

#10 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 03:31 AM

Bill, do you know the "real" story as to why Zulu was booted from the show? I've heard everything from he got tired of being the only native Hawaiian, and playing the "clown" to he uttered an anti-Semitic remark and Jack Lord had him tossed from the show.

There was definitely tension between Zulu and Jack Lord.

In 1996, at the Five-O convention, Zulu was asked by a fan about why he left the show. "The Lord giveth, and the Lord taketh away."

He described an anecdote. Five-O was supposed to be arresting someone. After the take, Lord commented that Zulu was a bit slow. On the next take, as Zulu told it, he zoomed around the group and got to the actor playing the suspect first. "OK, Garrett, I've got him under arrest." Lord was not amused.

At the start of a season, Zulu tried to make amends. "Hey Jack, you're looking great." Lord reacted icily. Somebody (either a cast or crew member) informed Zulu that Lord had a recent facelift. (I'm guessing this would have been at the start of the third season; Jack Lord doesn't look radically different but he might have had a facelift between the second and third seasons.)

During Five-O's production, Zulu worked on the show during the day and performed a nightclub act at night. James MacArthur, at the '96 convention, was talking to Zulu (I got the impression they were good friends) with MacArthur kidding Zulu about his stamina.

I have heard something about an anti-semetic remark Zulu may have made (I don't think it was to Jack Lord), but don't know the details. Overall, thugh, I get the impression it was a clash of very different personalities.

#11 RazorBlade

RazorBlade

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1248 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 08:56 AM

Very interesting! I was a fan of 5-0 as a child but didn't get into enough to know about all the behind the scenes stuff that went on.

#12 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:09 PM

There was definitely tension between Zulu and Jack Lord.

In 1996, at the Five-O convention, Zulu was asked by a fan about why he left the show. "The Lord giveth, and the Lord taketh away."

He described an anecdote. Five-O was supposed to be arresting someone. After the take, Lord commented that Zulu was a bit slow. On the next take, as Zulu told it, he zoomed around the group and got to the actor playing the suspect first. "OK, Garrett, I've got him under arrest." Lord was not amused.

At the start of a season, Zulu tried to make amends. "Hey Jack, you're looking great." Lord reacted icily. Somebody (either a cast or crew member) informed Zulu that Lord had a recent facelift. (I'm guessing this would have been at the start of the third season; Jack Lord doesn't look radically different but he might have had a facelift between the second and third seasons.)

During Five-O's production, Zulu worked on the show during the day and performed a nightclub act at night. James MacArthur, at the '96 convention, was talking to Zulu (I got the impression they were good friends) with MacArthur kidding Zulu about his stamina.

I have heard something about an anti-semetic remark Zulu may have made (I don't think it was to Jack Lord), but don't know the details. Overall, thugh, I get the impression it was a clash of very different personalities.

Interesting story. I always got the impression that Zulu was quite the character, and it's a shame he didn't stay longer.

For those who might not know, "Napoleon Solo" has written a fine overview of the Wo fat and Steve McGarrett battles:

#13 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 07:08 PM

Bonus features on the Season One FIVE-O set, according to Amazon.com:

45 minutes retrospective with James MacArthur
Interviews with the cast and crew
Footage from 1996 reunion

I'm still hoping that James MacArthur will contribute a commentary for one of the episodes, especially ones that featured his "Danno" character in the spotlight, like "...And They Painted Daisies on his Coffin" or "Yesterday Died and Tomorrow Won't Be Born."

#14 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 12:01 AM

Update on Five-O, with episodes:

http://tvshowsondvd....cfm?NewsID=6893

#15 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 05:30 AM

There's one slight, but understandable, mistake in the press release at the link.

The pilot, at least in its original, two-hour TV movie, was not called "Cocoon." It was simply called "Hawaii Five-O." It featured a 90-second main title and 90-second end title. Also, the main title was slightly different than we'd see in the series (Jack Lord didn't stand on top of the Ilikai for example). There was no "wave" before a commercial break (e.g. the show's logo with some sort of dramatic music).

Later, after the first season was completed, the pilot was re-edited into a two-part episode of the show, which WAS entitled "Cocoon." Some scenes were shortened, including where we first see McGarrett. In the original version, we first see a tour bus outside the palace. McGarrett, knowing the bus driver, says hello, goes up to his office, etc., then is told by Danno (Tim O'Kelley, not James MacArthur) that McG's good friend Hennessey has turned up dead. In the two-part version, we simply see McGarrett bolt from the palace and go to his car to head to the crime scene. Also, in the two-part episode version, the "wave" before commercials is present just like a regular episode of the series.

#16 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 07:11 PM

There's one slight, but understandable, mistake in the press release at the link.

The pilot, at least in its original, two-hour TV movie, was not called "Cocoon." It was simply called "Hawaii Five-O." It featured a 90-second main title and 90-second end title. Also, the main title was slightly different than we'd see in the series (Jack Lord didn't stand on top of the Ilikai for example). There was no "wave" before a commercial break (e.g. the show's logo with some sort of dramatic music).

Later, after the first season was completed, the pilot was re-edited into a two-part episode of the show, which WAS entitled "Cocoon." Some scenes were shortened, including where we first see McGarrett. In the original version, we first see a tour bus outside the palace. McGarrett, knowing the bus driver, says hello, goes up to his office, etc., then is told by Danno (Tim O'Kelley, not James MacArthur) that McG's good friend Hennessey has turned up dead. In the two-part version, we simply see McGarrett bolt from the palace and go to his car to head to the crime scene. Also, in the two-part episode version, the "wave" before commercials is present just like a regular episode of the series.

Yes, the two-part version is the one I taped some years ago; let's hope that we get completely unedited Five-Os...only three more weeks!

#17 Bondian

Bondian

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8019 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 09:37 PM

It's about time. :cooltongue:

#18 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 09:42 PM

I can't wait for the 2 Hawaii 5-0 episodes Lazenby did in 1979.

I have a still from it but have never seen them.

#19 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 03:41 AM

Probably going to be awhile. The Lazenby episode (originally shown as a 2-hour episode) wasn't made until the end of season 11. I've never seen it (at least not all the way through) and would like to view it myself. It's also James MacArthur's last appearance in the series.

Another Five-O episode that would be of interest to 007 fans is the season-opening show of the ninth season, "Nine Dragons."

Much of it was filmed in Hong Kong. It was originally shown as a two-hour episode (in syndication as two one-hour shows). It was the next-to-last Wo Fat story and features depictions of triads. People who like Raymond Benson's Zero Minus Ten novel would probably like it. Also, it has an actor from The Man With the Golden Gun (in the Bond movie, he played the cocky martial arts expert Bond puts down after some effort). It's one of the best Five-O episodes overall and the one that most resembles a Bond movie. Plus, Morton Stevens delivers one of his best Five-O scores.

#20 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 01:48 PM

Probably going to be awhile. The Lazenby episode (originally shown as a 2-hour episode) wasn't made until the end of season 11. I've never seen it (at least not all the way through) and would like to view it myself. It's also James MacArthur's last appearance in the series.

Another Five-O episode that would be of interest to 007 fans is the season-opening show of the ninth season, "Nine Dragons."

Much of it was filmed in Hong Kong. It was originally shown as a two-hour episode (in syndication as two one-hour shows). It was the next-to-last Wo Fat story and features depictions of triads. People who like Raymond Benson's Zero Minus Ten novel would probably like it. Also, it has an actor from The Man With the Golden Gun (in the Bond movie, he played the cocky martial arts expert Bond puts down after some effort). It's one of the best Five-O episodes overall and the one that most resembles a Bond movie. Plus, Morton Stevens delivers one of his best Five-O scores.

If Paramount continues with their practice of releasing seasons every nine months or so, I'll be about 45 by the time they get to season nine of FIVE-O. I'd prefer that long-running shows like FIVE-O receive releases every four months or so, like on a quarterly basis.

...And where the hell is Mannix?

#21 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 10:08 PM

...And where the hell is Mannix?

Wish I knew. In particular, I'd like to see the first season, which has been pretty much kept out of the syndication pacakge.

In that first year (for the uninitiated), Mannix worked at Intertect, run by Lew Wickersham (Joseph Campenella). Wickerham embodied corporatism, Mannix individualism. Wickersham prided himself on his computers and his business system designed to get the most out of his personnel. However, Mannix was his best operative and he preferred to fly by the seat of his pants and playing his hunches. Wickersham also knew that Mannix was his best operative.

When TV Land started in 1996, it was simulcast on Nick at Night. They showed the pilot (which hadn't been shown since it was aired in 1967). Also, I've got another first-season episode on a cheap VHS release. Other than that, I haven't seen the other first-season show.

#22 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 02:03 PM

Next Tuesday, March 6, is Five-O's release date...

#23 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 04:58 PM

Found THIS online.

An excerpt:

"They have a nice screen explaining the origin of Cocoon that comes up before that starts playing. It tells the original airdate and how it was first shown as a two-hour movie and then later rebroadcast in two parts at the end of the season. It's not the two-parter on the disc, but the movie version.

As near as I can tell, all the episodes are completely uncut. I compared some of them with the episodes as released by Columbia House on VHS a few years back, and with off-air episodes I have which are allegedly uncut. I didn't do an exhaustive comparison, but everything I did compare bears out the completely uncut status of the episodes on the discs. Each episode is roughly 51 minutes long, give or take about 10 seconds. Being able to watch all the little scenes that are usually cut in current day broadcasts really brings the episodes to life. All the atmosphere and subtle bits are back and make the stories really flow."

Edited by Brian Flagg, 27 February 2007 - 04:59 PM.

#24 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 11:44 PM

If the episodes are at or around 50 minutes each, chances are they are uncut. That was the standard of the mid- to late-1960s. Today, for an hour time slot, it's closer to 42 to 43 minutes.

#25 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 03:04 AM

I got it. They're uncut. If you're a fan, buy it!

#26 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 01:32 PM

Tomorrow's the day! (although I ordered mine from Amazon and won't receive it until later) I expect full, richly detailed reviews...:cooltongue:

Here's a review

Edited by Brian Flagg, 05 March 2007 - 02:14 PM.

#27 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 05:48 PM

My Hawaii Five-O set arrived in the mail on Saturday afternoon and what a beautiful day it was, too! Sunny, mild and balmy. I've watched three episodes so far and the picture and sound have been impressive! The colors are so saturated and rich, not to mention the beautiful gorgeous Hawaiian scenery...Seems to me that Five-O took better advantage of the weather than Magnum, P.I.;)I'm amazed at how much of the episodes get hacked out by the censors, as much of 'No Blue Skies" is a revelation; including that fabled rendition of "This Land is Your Land" by Tommy Sands. The one episode, 'King of the Hill" is the one I can't wait to see uncut, with Yaphet 'I Always Work' Kotto as a mentally screwed up Vietnam vet who lets loose with a racial tirade that was heavily censored in syndication. I'm watching it tonight.

As for the uncut nature of the DVD episodes, here's what's been restored from (what I can remember) the eps I've seen:

Pilot: McGarrett coming to the palace and greeting a tour guide and wishing his secretary a happy birthday, giving her a kiss and placing a 'Lei" around her neck; about a 1:30 sequence.

No Blue Skies: Tommy Sands' performing "This Land is Your land" and thanking the audience, "The next show is at 12:30; thank you!" A scene with Sands and sandra Smith regarding his "big break" and her disapproval of him carrying a gun. Sands performing "Goin' Out of My Head." In the syndicated cut, only the last line of the song is heard.

#28 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 02:31 AM

Pilot: McGarrett coming to the palace and greeting a tour guide and wishing his secretary a happy birthday, giving her a kiss and placing a 'Lei" around her neck; about a 1:30 sequence.

I take it this is the version with the extended, 90-second version of the theme (which was also featured on the 1969 soundtrack album).

#29 Napoleon Solo

Napoleon Solo

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1376 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 02:39 AM

One peculiar thing about the first-season episodes: even though the Hawaii Five-O theme is one of the most famous TV compositions ever, composer Morton Stevens *didn't get a credit* for it during the first season.

He is listed as composer for individual episodes (Full Fathom Five, for example). But he's not mentioned at all for episodes where other composers worked (Harry Geller for Once Upon a Time, for example). And at least one episode has a "Music Supervision Morton Stevens" credit but it doesn't mention the theme.

CBS, on it's in-house produced shows, was hesitant to give theme credits. Gunsmoke never did over 20 years, nor did Have Gun -- Will Travel (Bernard Herrmann) over six, or The Wild, Wild West. Stevens finally got a theme credit starting early in the second season. When he composed the music for the episode it said, "Music by Morton Stevens." When another composer did the score, he still got a "Theme by Morton Stevens" credit.

#30 Brian Flagg

Brian Flagg

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 07:51 PM

Interesting Morton Stevens info; composers never get their due!

I'm through the first four discs so far but I also watched the rather touching 1996 "Emme" show that aired on Hawaiian TV. I'm wondering if the emotion showed by so many of the cast members had anything to do with Jack Lord's failing health? James MacArthur said that "we have no answers", but there is interview material with Jack's (now late) wife, Marie; I guess she didn't spill the beans, based on Jack's (understandable) need for privacy in his last days.

The only episode a notch below in quality is "Twenty-Four Karat Kill", which has some sound issues, especially in the first fifteen minutes or so; otherwise the shows look great!

BTW, any insight on Jack Lord's personality and hos "retirement years" would be most welcome, Napoleon Solo!