66 replies to this topic

#31 bond_girl_double07

bond_girl_double07

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2322 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 05:47 PM

I think he comes off as the most sympathetic/warm-fuzzy Bond in some ways (when he isn't killing everybody hehe), and all the smiling is just part of that..

his character in hot fuzz creepily grins the entire movie (it becomes a sort of a joke), so I laughed when I saw this thread.. what can I say, the man likes to smile :cooltongue:

#32 Milovy

Milovy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 01:27 AM

Yes I do think Dalton's smile was more noticeable but I always saw that as him being more human (ie capable of falling in love). He chose a bigger dynamic emotional range than the other Bond actors and was more theatrical.

I think Daniel Craig is actually the real, true-blue "cold as ice" Bond (which I do like). Dalton's Bond was more mercurial - storm and sunlight. The key to getting a feel for his Bond is in TLD during the carnival scenes, where he's warm with Kara (and also coolly under control - when the ferris wheel mysteriously stops he is able to say "I planned it") but then after the other agent is killed, he loses his cool (almost shoots the mother and kid) and then is icy cold toward poor unsuspecting Kara.

A lot of people didn't like that about his Bond, but I found the quick and wide change of emotions to be intriguing and psychologically sound.

Edited by Milovy, 29 April 2007 - 01:28 AM.

#33 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 10:11 PM

My take on Tim was he acted like a Pro on and off camera; I don't see him as a 'Bad boy' or especially cold but rather professional about the way he goes about his mission-he does come across as much more realistic than Moore. As Bond he could be pleasant or rough whenever neccessary . The scenes with Puskin, Lupe, Pam (in the hotel) are great because they show his all business, 'I'm-in charge, tell me what I want to know or I will kill-you moments. They work. I believe he is deadly serious and it doesn't come across as forced. His face has a certain menace to it too.

I agree with this.

#34 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 05:30 AM

tdalton has also noted this.

#35 Sbott

Sbott

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1048 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 01:30 PM

Noted what?

#36 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 09:49 PM

Noted what?

That he smiles alot.

#37 dodge

dodge

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5068 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 02:47 PM

Dalton's smiles really gave his dark side a great contrast.

I know I'm swimming against the tide, and that's OK :tup: , but honestly, I've always been genuinely baffled by the widespread belief in TD's dark side. Seriously, it has always completely passed me by. I find him about as dark as Mary Poppins. I appreciate his Bond for various fine qualities but I'll never, ever get that bit. Whoosh, right over my head. Sorry everyone.

Very interesting in a Santaly way. Gorgeous George was far more chipper on the surface--as either DoubleNought or 00Twelve has pointed out. You can almost hear him whistling Zippadeedoodah a couple of times. But, for money, Laz is Darth Vadar darkest of all because he simply loves, more than any other Bond, the smell of napalm in the morning: crunching bones and flying teeth. 'Let the mayhem begin!' could very well be this great Bond's motto. Back on post, I'd love to know whether TD or GG had more on-screen smile time. TD may seem to be the smiliest because he does look so darned cuddly.

#38 baerrtt

baerrtt

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 467 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 06:24 PM

The thing with Dalton is that the much hyped 'dark' side of his Bond came from emotional outbursts (for example his rage with Pam when he believes she may be working for the 'wrong' side, indeed all of LTK). You understood what pushed him whereas Connery's (in the earlier films) were more frightening because you believed he would do absolutley anything to anyone and have no emotional reasoning for his actions.

Tim (prior to Craig) was more of a realistic human being than the other Bonds were because his take on the character was aside from the glamour, what would an audience member really feel like if they had to shoulder the other aspects of Bond (the killing, the deception and shutting out of ppl he cares about Kara etc for their own good or the good of the mission). Dalton was the smiliest Bond as it were because you felt that ultimately he CARED about people more (once again Kara in TLD). These aspects were developed during Moore's era (from TSWLM onwards) but Tim unlike Rog wasn't anchored to an audience friendly portrayal of Bond hence the genuine humanity many believe the character never exhibited onscreen until Tim got his hands on the part.

#39 Licence_007

Licence_007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 10:08 PM

I agree that Dalton's Bond is the smiliest. The fairground scene is one of my favourite in the Bond series due to his happyness...sounds a bit strange when I type that. Although, I think Lazenby seems overall the happiest Bond, he looks like he could burst into song a lot of the time.

#40 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 03:13 AM

I agree that Dalton's Bond is the smiliest. The fairground scene is one of my favourite in the Bond series due to his happyness...sounds a bit strange when I type that. Although, I think Lazenby seems overall the happiest Bond, he looks like he could burst into song a lot of the time.

They are having a great time on the dodgem cars and the rollercoaster. :tup:

#41 vednam

vednam

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 07:07 AM

Great thread. I think you may be right.

I especially liked when Dalton appeared to crack a sinister smile (like when he and Saunders go back and forth with each other in a car and Dalton says the "whoever she was, I must have scared the living daylights out of her" line). It really gave him an edge.

#42 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 08:24 AM

Dalton presented a smiley exterior, but the man's mind was always working and he was cold as ice!

#43 DR76

DR76

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1673 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 06:31 PM

The scenes with Puskin, Lupe, Pam (in the hotel) are great because they show his all business, 'I'm-in charge, tell me what I want to know or I will kill-you moments. They work.

That scene in which Bond had threatened Lupe in LTK slightly creeped me out. At that moment, Dalton seemed more scarier than Davi's villain.

#44 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 12:34 AM

Great thread. I think you may be right.

I especially liked when Dalton appeared to crack a sinister smile (like when he and Saunders go back and forth with each other in a car and Dalton says the "whoever she was, I must have scared the living daylights out of her" line). It really gave him an edge.

Good point, and I agree, great line, delivered perfectly.

#45 Mr. Blofeld

Mr. Blofeld

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9173 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 01:40 AM

The thing with Dalton is that the much hyped 'dark' side of his Bond came from emotional outbursts; you understood what pushed him, whereas Connery (in the earlier films) were more frightening because you believed he would do absolutely anything to anyone and have no emotional reasoning for his actions.

Therefore, Connery was a psychopath? :tup:

#46 double o ego

double o ego

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1261 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 07:11 PM

smiliest Bond would go to either Moore or lazenby, probably Moore. With Moore his run as Bond was a brow-raising, smiling party.

#47 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 11:19 AM

smiliest Bond would go to either Moore or lazenby, probably Moore. With Moore his run as Bond was a brow-raising, smiling party.

I think Dalton had more "genuine" smiles.

#48 00Jaws

00Jaws

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 139 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 11:44 AM

The only times where bond actually really laughs is Dalton, if i remember correctly.
In Vienna/Prater and when he's at the Mujahideen an Kara calls him "back end of a horse".

I can't recall Connery, Moore, Brosnan or Craig laughing "nicely" where you don't get the impression he's a killer, if you get what i mean.
Maybe Laz too.

#49 Mr_Wint

Mr_Wint

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2406 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 01:58 PM

The only times where bond actually really laughs is Dalton, if i remember correctly.

Bond/Connery had a laugh in a scene with Kerim ("Are you sure that's all you want?", "Well..."). Much better than Dalton's fake laugh.

#50 Major Tallon

Major Tallon

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2107 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 11:41 PM

In Vienna/Prater and when he's at the Mujahideen an Kara calls him "back end of a horse".

Dalton also laughs in LTK when he's unwrapping the money in the plane after disposing of the pilot, and he laughs out loud in the Isthmus hotel room when Pam wonders, "Why can't you be my executive secretary?"

#51 DamnCoffee

DamnCoffee

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 24459 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 12:07 AM

I LOVE Daltons reaction to the 'back end of horse' line. The way she smiles and embraces her is brilliant. I can't see ANY of the other Bonds, Including Craig, doing anything like that.

Oh, on a side note, I find it amusing how Kara starts off insulting Bond in russian, then can't be arsed to finish the insult, so she switches to english, her secondary language. B)

You gotta love Karas thickness.

#52 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 12:19 AM

Personally I loved the man's smile and levity. Always at the right place and time for me.
Being too serious well, no need for it really is there? B)
Dalton is in my mind, a Bond that was ahead of his time. New found respect for the man.

#53 byline

byline

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 02:10 AM

I LOVE Daltons reaction to the 'back end of horse' line. The way she smiles and embraces her is brilliant. I can't see ANY of the other Bonds, Including Craig, doing anything like that.

Oh, on a side note, I find it amusing how Kara starts off insulting Bond in russian, then can't be arsed to finish the insult, so she switches to english, her secondary language. B)

You gotta love Karas thickness.

That's one of my favorite Bond moments! As for Kara, I used to think of her as being silly, but the more I watch the film, the more I think she did quite well, but was just way out of her league. And that's appropriate, given the situation she found herself in. That's part of why I love what Dalton did with the role, making Bond alternately annoyed with her, then protective, then adoring her naivete (and probably wishing he could go back to that take on life, himself).

Personally I loved the man's smile and levity. Always at the right place and time for me.
Being too serious well, no need for it really is there? :tdown:
Dalton is in my mind, a Bond that was ahead of his time. New found respect for the man.

Hear, hear! :tdown:

#54 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 02:13 AM

Being too serious well, no need for it really is there? :tdown:

Hear, hear! B)

You know I watched Tim's two films last weekend and I didn't realize quite how he nailed Bond, of course I was younger back then and less appreciative but now I honestly feel he paved the way for Craig.
Wish Dalton had of stayed for more.

#55 The*SPY*

The*SPY*

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 85 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 02:18 AM

I've always thought that the single most "smiley" moment of any Bond was at the end of GE when Brosnan picks up Natalya. He beams ear to ear, and I was always mixed on my feelings about it. On one side I didn't think Bond should have such a wide smile, but on the other, it was a 'new' Bond and with the mission over, having been what he had gone through, I thought the man was entitled to a little relaxed fun.

Edited by The*SPY*, 06 June 2009 - 02:19 AM.

#56 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 03:12 AM

I just sort of take all the smiling as Dalton being Dalton. Other actors rely upon their whole face (or their eyebrows) to convey certain things. Dalton is very good at telling us the same with just a movement of the eyes or controlling his breathing.

#57 00Nothing

00Nothing

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 392 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 05:53 PM

Never has a truer word been spoken. I was around four years old when I saw TLD and it kick started my loved for Bond. As the years have gone on my love for this film and LTK has grown primarily because of Dalton's Bond, to me he is not some flippant superhero who laughs in the face of danger and makes quips with every other line of dialouge. Of all the Bonds his is the one that feels real, at least until Daniel came along which I guess is why I love CR and QOS so much as well. He laughs, shows anger and comes across as someone who would kill you if you cross him. Best Bond EVER!

#58 Tybre

Tybre

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3057 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 08:04 PM

Indeed. That's a big part of why Tim wins in my book. He feels real, whereas with Con, Laz, Bros, and Rog I'm aware I'm watching people play a role. Sure, Craig has the whole feels real thing going for him, too, but iunno, to me, my brain makes the connection that Dalton = James Bond. Craig feels more like I'm watching a person similar to James Bond. Still my #2 though. Here's to hoping whoever takes over the role next keeps the trend up.

#59 danslittlefinger

danslittlefinger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3680 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 08:46 PM

Never has a truer word been spoken. I was around four years old when I saw TLD and it kick started my loved for Bond. As the years have gone on my love for this film and LTK has grown primarily because of Dalton's Bond, to me he is not some flippant superhero who laughs in the face of danger and makes quips with every other line of dialouge. Of all the Bonds his is the one that feels real, at least until Daniel came along which I guess is why I love CR and QOS so much as well. He laughs, shows anger and comes across as someone who would kill you if you cross him. Best Bond EVER!

Often wonder how he would have done GE and the rest? I watch Pierces' films and try to imagine Tim in them and I say to myself, "naah, he would have done that scene so much better." Although GE was a decent Brozzer film mind you.

#60 The Ghost Who Walks

The Ghost Who Walks

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 09:55 PM

Often wonder how he would have done GE and the rest? I watch Pierces' films and try to imagine Tim in them and I say to myself, "naah, he would have done that scene so much better." Although GE was a decent Brozzer film mind you.

I too obviously wish he had stayed on for more, but if the alternative had been having him star in the Brosnan films, I'm kind of glad he resigned from the role. The mixed quality of these movies might have influenced the way I look at him the way it does with my view on Brosnan, i.e. not for the better (though Tim was a twenty times better Bond than Pierce, as much as I like him too).

He'd likely have made GoldenEye better, though, but I can't help imagining he'd have had a rather embarrased look throughout TND (it's a film beneath him in every way). TWINE would no doubt have been significantly improved with him (I wouldn't even have cared if he was too old at that point), and DAD would have been considerably worse if it starred him, due to his age and the fact that it's a Brosnan film through and through.