Hugh Jackman = 007

68 replies to this topic

#1 SwedeBondFan

SwedeBondFan

Recruit

• Crew
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 April 2002 - 11:51 AM

There is no doubt, Hugh Jackman is currently no.1 to be James Bond after PB just look at this photo.

#2 Evil Doctor Cheese

Evil Doctor Cheese

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1019 posts

Posted 14 April 2002 - 11:31 AM

I like the sound of him much more than Ioan Grufford who was in a BBC special a few weeks ago and was **** (please rule him out he's an idiot!). I need more pictures personally. Is he an actor? Will he approach the role as a character of as Hugh doing Bond? I don't know. I still like "Mr Darcy" what's his name? I can't remember what is he called? Anyway him or Jackman would be fine.

#3 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 15 April 2002 - 04:13 AM

Hugh Jackman is a great actor. First off, he looks mean, second, he can also play it suave(Kate and Leopold). I'm sure he would be able to add his own spin to Bond.

Another good thing. He wants to do it,and the producers are considering him! I think he is a shoe in. Let me just say, if I was a betting man, I'd bet he was the next Bond.

#4 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 27 April 2002 - 09:45 PM

If you strike a mid course between the mean and rugged Wolverine and the suave romantic (and convincingly British) Leopold, you are right on course for Bond. Jackman certainly looks the part. Unless his skyrocketing career prices him out of Eon's reach, I think he's a cert.

#5 RITZ

RITZ

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 12 April 2002 - 11:58 AM

I've seen him in an interview and he's got a good build and looks the part too.

But can he do a good English accent?

#6 scaramanga

scaramanga

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 12 April 2002 - 12:06 PM

RITZ (12 Apr, 2002 12:58 p.m.):

I think Jackman is right for the part, as long as he can master the accent. Does he not play an English count or something in his new film Kate and Leapold? I don't know as I haven't seen it, but if anyone has, is his accent convincing?

#7 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 12 April 2002 - 12:23 PM

I'm sure he's a good enough actor to be able to pull off a convincinv English accent. Though I really dont think there is much wrong with his current accent.

Like I said in the past, Hugh Jackman is my number one choice to be 007 after Brosnan leaves the role, and you know what? I have a good feeling that will be the case :)

#8 ThomasCrown76

ThomasCrown76

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 06 May 2002 - 12:35 AM

Either Hugh Jackman or Hugh Grant as Bond. Just kidding about Grant. But Jackman would kick serious :) as Bond.

#9 WC

WC

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1415 posts

Posted 12 April 2002 - 06:49 PM

Doesn't Jackman seem a bit of a rough outback type though? And after playing Wolverine he might seem a little too tough to be Bond - ie more of a Clint Eastwood/Mel Gibson-type character than a Bondian character?

If he does want to play Bond though, perhaps he should wait until after another actor takes up the role following Brosnan. There seems to be a bad track record for even numbered Bonds (ie George Lazenby with 1 and Timothy Dalton with 2) so maybe it won't be until Bond No.7 that we have another actor who stays long in the role and is accepted by the majority of fans.

#10 M_Balje

M_Balje

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 07 May 2002 - 10:23 AM

gl1 GEORGE LAZENBY IS BACK ^_^^_^^_^^_^

Hugh Jackman comes from Australia...

He is now 34 years old.
That's to young play Bond now.
But in 2011 is he 43 years old.
(Pierce Brosnan,play bond for the first time he was 43 years old in Goldeneye)
That is a good time for the rol take over from Pierce Brosnan.
He can play than 4,a 6 times play the role of Bond.

#11 Dr. Yes

Dr. Yes

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 49 posts

Posted 12 April 2002 - 11:39 PM

I think Hugh Jackman would be perfect as the next James Bond. He definitely looks the part, and I think that he should be the one to step in once Brosnan leaves. It's not difficult to see why he seems to be the runaway favorite. By the time Brosnan is done, presumably in a few years after 1 or 2 more films, it would be the perfect time to introduce Jackman. Right now he's a bit young, but I'd love to see him as the next 007.

#12 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 13 April 2002 - 01:00 AM

Folks...can we worry about Hugh Jackman or any other next James Bond....when Pierce Brosnan officially announces he is done with Bond?

Let's wait for the crown to come off before we crown a new king.

-- Xenobia

#13 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 13 April 2002 - 01:21 AM

Xenobia (13 Apr, 2002 02:00 a.m.):
Folks...can we worry about Hugh Jackman or any other next James Bond....when Pierce Brosnan officially announces he is done with Bond?

Let's wait for the crown to come off before we crown a new king.

-- Xenobia

Xen, just because Pierce is still Bond, it doesn't mean that we shouldn't start talking about replacements. It's interesting to see who people favour and then we'll get the joy in about 4 years time, of seeing if there right.
Just one thing though, no more mentions of Vinnie Jones/Ewan McGregor/Cuba Gooding Jr, they are definitely out of the running.
Martin Kemp/Hugh Jackman/Clive Owen on the other hand, should be considered as serious candidates.

#14 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 13 April 2002 - 07:32 AM

I have to concur with Tanger. While I love what Pierce is doing and want him to stay on for at least Bond 21, I think it's fine that people can discuss any new James Bond's.

Fandom for a genre like James Bond is hugely based upon the notion of "What if?" What if George Lazenby had done Diamonds Are Forever? What if Hugh Jackman replaces Pierce as Bond? They're all legitimite discussions.

That said, I can imagine that poor agentbond's brain is overloading from this thread. It's a conspiracy I tell you! ;d

#15 mkkbb

mkkbb

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 14 April 2002 - 01:28 AM

While I would favour Hugh as Brosnan's replacement I think that we may see a lesser known actor. As Jackman is already a mega star he may demand too much money, when people like Iaon Grufford or Clive Owen would expect less for the part. And of course they are british.

But I hope they choose Hugh Jackman.

#16 BONDage

BONDage

Cadet

• Crew
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 July 2002 - 04:14 AM

Hi all, New member here!

Hugh is a PERFECT match for BOND! I'm sure he can pull it all off nicely.

The funny part is i just invited my wife in here to see this thread.

She's like "oh my gawd! No way! See...I told ya!"

You see a long while ago we were talking about Peirce's replacement! And she mentioned Hugh Jackmen! At the time I couldn't really see it, but after a few films I've seen with the guy now...I must admit. I do see it!

I was thinking Ewen McGregor(sp?) (OBI-Wan from Star Wars), but he just seemed a tad short... LOL...

Anyhoo...this is a great place. I hope meet ya all in a thread here and there!

Peace...

#17 MicroGlobe One

MicroGlobe One

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 03 July 2002 - 05:02 PM

Originally posted by RITZ

I can't help but laugh out loud when reading this discussion. Jackman has no need to work at mastering an appropriate accent, he naturally has one! I'm stunned you didn't notice during the course of the interview you were watching. All of his recent American hits have caused him to drop his natural accent, picked up in Australia, in favor of a more acceptable American voice. He'll have no trouble being British.

Hugh Jackman IS the next James Bond. I'm dying to see him in the tuxedo. I find it comforting to know that as Pierce winds down his days as 007 that we have a worthy successor lined up for the part. I certainly hope that the coming years only serve to lock Jackman into position for being hte next Bond.

I can't wait to see those words on screen...

HUGH JACKMAN IS IAN FLEMING'S JAMES BOND 007 IN...

#18 Rich Douglas

Rich Douglas

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1105 posts

Posted 03 July 2002 - 07:27 PM

Didn't any of you see Kate and Leopold? Alright Alright, YES it's definately a "chick fliick" but my g/f dragged me to it. The entire time i was thinking that Jackman would be WONDERFUL for the next Bond. His english accent was flawless, he had the bond look, and would be a convincing bond in my opinion. K & L, is out now on video, check it out, I think you'll all agree. Not that i enjoyed the film, but it did convice me that Jackman is a worthy candidate. Rumors say that he has already been contacted by MGM, it'll be interesting to see what happens in the future.

Rich

#19 Bondson

Bondson

Cadet

• Crew
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 July 2002 - 07:20 PM

Yeah, that's right, you heard me. Hugh Jackman isn't the ideal Bond because he has a head shaped like a pea. In fact, he refers to himself as "Ole Pea Head" and I for one agree with him. Personally I think the only credible contender for the role is Christian Bale. And the thing is I think most of you forum addicts think this too, but haven't quite arrived at the right equation yet. Look at it like this, Mr Bale will be roughly in his mid 30's by the time dear Pierce steps down, so will be perfect to pick up the torch and run with it. Bale has the menace, the perfect English accent, he's also known in the States and is about to appear in a big budget flick this summer called Reign of Fire (some **** about dragons threatening the world). He can play smooth, as he did in American Psycho, and would sure get female bums on seats, which Pierce currently does for the series. Add to this the fact that he has statede that he'd be interested in the series if it came his way, then what more do you want. Besides, I thought I read somewhere that Jackman was in talks to revive some other franchise that had long bitten the dust. I'm trying to remember which one it was. I don't think it was the Prisoner, but it was something like it.

#20 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 07 July 2002 - 07:58 PM

Well, i have always portested against an american actor plaing Bond, but seeing that pic makes me eat my owrds. Jackman does seem good for the role, i've heard of his large build and handsome looks, and just look at that eyebrow! Ok, i'll give in and say that Jackman should be the next Bond. Oh, and BTW, about this 'unclean business', not all the actors who have played Bond are squeaky clean. Brosnan did a few roughian roles before Bond, and Connery was considered 'uncouth' by Fleming. Bond is'nt all as sophisticated as you'd like to make out...

#21 MicroGlobe One

MicroGlobe One

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 08 July 2002 - 01:12 PM

Originally posted by Carver
Well, i have always portested against an american actor plaing Bond, but seeing that pic makes me eat my owrds.

See my earlier post. As much as this is discussed there always seems to be confusion. Hugh Jackman is not an American! I say again, Jackman is not American nor does he speak with an American accent! Folks continually watch him in his major American movie roles and come to this false conclusion. He was born and raised in Australia. He's as American as Mel Gibson. I, too, believe an American should never portray 007 and, thankfully, Jackman more than fits the bill.

#22 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 08 July 2002 - 01:21 PM

Pierce Brosnan was certainly described as a roughian when he was in films like Dante's Peaks, not the sort of roles compared to a potential James Bond character.
I dont see why this guy shouldnt play, by playing Wolverine in the Xmen shows that he has some experience on the big screen.
Just my 2cents

#23 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 09 July 2002 - 12:27 AM

Originally posted by MicroGlobe One

...Hugh Jackman is not an American!..He was born and raised in Australia.  He's as American as Mel Gibson.  I, too, believe an American should never portray 007 and, thankfully, Jackman more than fits the bill.

Gibson actually is American. He travels on an American passport, and when his parents brought him to Australia at a young age he never became a citizen or had his passprt relinquished.

As to Hugh Jackman, it seems that a lot of fans feel that he could make a good Bond (me included), high praise indeed. The producers probably should listen to the fans, but they have an uncanny nack of pulling someone else out of the bag that no one had thought of, such as Connery, Lazenby, and Dalton (Moore and Brosnan became Bond virtually by default).

I just hope that Hugh doesn't try to force the issue with self generated publicity on the matter, or suddenly appear in a flick that could be interpreted as "Bond-like" and therefore saying to the public that he can definitely do it. The producers may be scared off by such actions.

#24 007_JamesBond

007_JamesBond

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 140 posts

Posted 14 July 2002 - 08:30 PM

Hugh Jackman would be awsome, I would pull it off, and to check the facts about Gibson go to hollywood.com and find out

#25 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 14 July 2002 - 08:45 PM

Excuse me, but how could Mel Gibson play James Bond? Look at all the films that Gibson had been in, and see how they make the British seem bad e.g Braveheart

#26 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 14 July 2002 - 10:34 PM

Hugh Jackman would be quite a departure for the Bond series. Nothing to do with the accent or origins, but consider who they've employed in the past.

Connery was pretty minor league stuff when he was hired, and the world knows what Lazenby wasand also what he wasn't. Moore was a TV actor with no particular film credits of note behind him, and Dalton, although he had been in a number of notable films, hadn't been the lead and was pretty much restricted to stage work and tv costume dramas. Brosnan was skidding along the verge of being washed up tv movie bloke.

Hugh Jackman would be a departure because he's too well known for other things and probably too expensive. I doubt he needs Bond to keep himself afloat. The others needed Bond; query whether Mr Jackman does.

#27 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 15 July 2002 - 12:10 AM

Originally posted by Jim

Hugh Jackman would be a departure because he's too well known for other things and probably too expensive. I doubt he needs Bond to keep himself afloat. The others needed Bond; query whether Mr Jackman does.

As I said in another thread/post, I think Jackman really wants this, I could be wrong, but I think he's quoted as saying he wants the role. If he wants it that bad he may take a pay cut to do it. And hey, he could do one or two romantic comedys or drama's in between Bond films.

#28 Tedley King

Tedley King

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 15 July 2002 - 04:20 PM

Originally posted by MicroGlobe One
I can't wait to see those words on screen...

HUGH JACKMAN IS IAN FLEMING'S JAMES BOND 007 IN...

I suppose he would be a good Bond, but I agree with what was said earlier about him asking for too much. He'll ask for too much and so they'll have to get someone else who asks for less. By the way, if he was to get the role, I hope they don't put "Hugh Jackman IS Ian Fleming's James Bond 007 in..." I think it should stay as ... "........... AS Ian Fleming's James Bond 007 in..." they used it for Sean Connery and no other Bond, so why use it for only certain people? Keep it as it is... '...as...'.

#29 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 15 July 2002 - 07:27 PM

Hugh is my No.1 frontrunner for Bond, he's a great actor, good with accents, fantastic at action, and super with love scenes :)
Good in a tux, reminds me of Sean Connery!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Great choice if you ask me!

#30 Evil Doctor Cheese

Evil Doctor Cheese

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1019 posts

Posted 16 July 2002 - 07:23 PM

Personally I've gone off Hugh....but not just to be different oh no. I have found a better man to fill Brosnan's shoes. Colin Farrel is perfect to play Bond. he's in Minority Report at the moment and he's perfect... an he doesn't have that horrid "Ken Doll" look about him that Jackman does. Colin is very Connery and the ladies would love him... and he's Irish and does perfect American and British accents... he's wicked actor and he'd be perfect for Bond.