Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 18 July 2002 - 09:52 PM

Originally posted by Blofeld's Cat

There is Colin Salmon. :)

And Colin would be my first choice as well. And if this was thirty years ago, Sidney Poiter would have been ideal.

The idea of continuity is strained with Bond. Yes, they have kept up the continuity...as long as we follow the willful suspension of reality that tells that a husky, brown haired Australian who married Tracy Bond, somehow morphed into a thinner, dark haired Irishman who when last we heard is being held hostage by the North Koreans!

In other words...when an actor steps up to the plate, and he appears to be ideal, Eon should cast him...regardless of his race. 007 is just a code number...anyone can take the name "James Bond" to honor a deceased predecessor.

-- Xenobia

#62 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 18 July 2002 - 11:25 PM

Just thought I'd add it in, Colin Salmon sometimes signs autographs that are related to 007 by putting:

"Colin Salmon, 001"

#63 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 19 July 2002 - 04:50 AM

Now that is interesting....a double-O agent serving as driver and assistant to M. That is curious...

Or perhaps we have more to look forward to in DAD.

-- Xenobia

#64 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 19 July 2002 - 12:39 PM

Originally posted by Desslar
[B]As for Shaft, his racial indentity is important to the character because he often challenges discrimination.  Bond couldn't care less about race issues, so his racial makeup doesn't have the same importance.

I will grant you that Bond's racial identity is not as important of a part of his character as John Shaft's. However, I don't believe you can say a man is not shaped by his racial identity. Partitularly one who, like Bond, has harboured a few ignorant racist thoughts. I'm talking about the book's James Bond mostly here, but the book's Bond must be base of the character of the movie's Bond or you might as well call him George Delman, superspy.

#65 ShockTroop22

ShockTroop22

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1013 posts

Posted 23 July 2002 - 03:01 PM

Originally posted by JimmyBond
Hugh Grant

Just out of curiosity, has anyone else seen what happened to Mr Grant's new Aston Martin V12 Vanquish? He had one hand-built (im pretty sure Aston Martin have stopped doing that now) for him with a plaque on the side saying; "hand built by aston martin for mr. hugh grant". He'd been on the waiting list for two years and after taking Liz Hurley and her new baby, and a few of his mates for a few spins he went to play golf. Came back and someone had crashed into the side of it. They left without leaving any insurance details.

I think it was the bumper that came off, and needs replacing (

#66 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 23 July 2002 - 06:43 PM

William Hurt

#67 Mr Trump

Mr Trump

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 274 posts

Posted 24 July 2002 - 05:48 PM

James Bond should always be a white British man. James Bond has been white for 50 years and I would not want to watch a James Bond movie where he was not white.

#68 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 24 July 2002 - 06:42 PM

Originally posted by Mr Trump
James Bond should always be a white British man. James Bond has been white for 50 years and I would not want to watch a James Bond movie where he was not white.

Well said MrT, my thoughts exactly. I know it may seem racist (and I'm deifantely NOT racist) but some people are sugessting that Bond be coloured, but what MrT said are my thoughts exactly. BTW, to this subject, most of the names I would have said have already been put up on here.

#69 Number Eleven

Number Eleven

Cadet

• Crew
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 July 2002 - 09:47 PM

Cody Gifford (you know, when they are picking a new Bond in 2025)

#70 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 26 July 2002 - 02:13 AM

Cody Gifford? I'm still waiting for his first drug arrest? Think Regis and Kathie Lee will coffee talk about that? :)

Yes, I saw Hugh Grant's new Vanquish...evidently after it has been repaired. It looked great.

-- Xenobia

#71 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 27 July 2002 - 01:35 PM

Regarding the race thing....
I remember reading somewhere "a spokesperson for EON" saying, in response to a fan's question about whether non-white actors would ever be considered to play 007, "A black Bond would be a good idea for the new Millennium", which reply seemed very patronising to me. I somehow doubt that the idea's under serious consideration.

#72 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 31 July 2002 - 06:35 PM

Vin Diesel.

#73 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 31 July 2002 - 08:01 PM

Here's another one....

Mike Meyers

-- Xenobia

#74 RayBros007

RayBros007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 200 posts
  • Location:Jacksonville FL! Home of SuperBowl Thirty-something...

Posted 31 July 2002 - 08:06 PM

Hmmm let me think...

Brad Pitt

Tom Cruise (yuck!)

Rupert Everett (I think he's gay!)

Bruce Willis (He's balding)

That's all I can think of for right now...

#75 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 01 August 2002 - 02:50 PM

Entertainment Weekly actually does seriously want to see Rupert Everett play Bond. They were also the ones who wanted to see Bond recast with a woman in the lead.

#76 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 04 August 2002 - 07:35 PM

Never an Aussie - Look what happened with Lazenby! Hugh Jackman is a big no-no - he is far too much of a big girl's blouse. Hugh GRANT is more of a man than Jackman!

#77 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 04 August 2002 - 08:33 PM

Timothy Dalton again. LOL, only kidding, don't get offended BP, it wasn't meant to offend, twas just a joke:D

#78 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 05 August 2002 - 02:24 PM

Tim Dalton. Whoops, too late.

#79 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 05 August 2002 - 05:14 PM

Dalton would make a great reapperance if it's half as good as TLD and LTK. Irishclown doesn't offend me with his blathering about Dalton. I know he's wrong, so it doesn't bother me.

#80 Bondpurist

Bondpurist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 05 August 2002 - 05:26 PM

An AMERICAN? no way Jose! James Bond is BRITISH and British he should stay. I have never heard an American actor put on a decent English accent - anyway, it's a matter of pride - we don't want a yank nicking the part of James Bond - he's one of the few film roles that is a British stronghold. The yanks should stick to 'Die hard' and 'Rambo' and all that rubbish.

#81 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 06 August 2002 - 02:28 PM

How do you know I'm wrong, Bondpurist?

#82 007.5

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 66 posts

Posted 23 August 2002 - 09:17 PM

Val Kilmer

#83 14 20 02

14 20 02

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 25 August 2002 - 01:40 PM

Rupert Everett. Nuff said.

#84 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 25 August 2002 - 02:01 PM

No offence again. But a non-caucasian should not play Bond. I wouldn't even go see the flick. Continuity in the series is key, you can't just piss away 40 years of history by going in a casting direction that's totally different from everything in the past.

I don't think anyone would go and see it. LTK and TMWTGG would look like the high grossing points of the series. Same goes for if you cast women, small children or Blofeld's cat in the role.

#85 viking

viking

Recruit

• Crew
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 August 2002 - 03:05 PM

Negroes (Black People)

Robbie Williams

#86 ThomasCrown76

ThomasCrown76

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 26 August 2002 - 03:49 PM

Oh, man, the **** is about to hit the fan.

#87 RayBros007

RayBros007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 200 posts
  • Location:Jacksonville FL! Home of SuperBowl Thirty-something...

Posted 27 August 2002 - 11:09 PM

I know this is going off topic but in the late 50's and early 60's Gregory Peck would have been an awesome choice!

#88 IrishCrown

IrishCrown

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 28 August 2002 - 05:59 PM

David Schwimmer. His persistent whining would get him killed within the first five minutes of the movie.

#89 White Tuxedo

White Tuxedo

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 28 August 2002 - 07:05 PM

Originally posted by Bondpurist
An AMERICAN? no way Jose! James Bond is BRITISH and British he should stay. I have never heard an American actor put on a decent English accent - anyway, it's a matter of pride - we don't want a yank nicking the part of James Bond -  he's one of the few film roles that is a British stronghold. The yanks should stick to 'Die hard' and 'Rambo' and all that rubbish.

James Bond is British?

Sean Connery - Scottish
George Lazenby - Austrailian
Roger Moore - English (I'll give you that one)
Timothy Dalton - Welsh
Pierce Brosnan - Irish
Your beloved Clive Owen is Scottish if I'm not mistaken. Atleast, I thought I heard he was.

I'll put it this way. James Bond is an acting job. Acting is acting is acting is also acting.

Sure, American MOVIE STARS may not have convencing accents, but to hell with movie stars. There are plenty of American ACTORS who could pull one off if they had to.

And what is all this about a 'British' accent. There's no such thing as a 'British' accent. I may be from Kentucky (well, atleast me mum's Irish) but I know (from being in the UK a few times) that England has MANY accents. It's just like America. I'm sorry to shock you, Bondpurist, but we don't all sound like John Wayne.

Also, I'm quite offended by the 'Rambo' statement. I'm an actor (well, someday), and I'm into film. I'm not into 'Rambo'. We Yanks aren't all gun totting, cowboy hat wearing, hooting, beer-drinking, football watching (the Amuricin kynd), truck driving... ya know what I mean. Some of us are actually enlightened individuals.

Ya know, most of my favorite actors and actresses are British. No joke.

But if you think the biggest factor in someone playing James Bond is that they are British, that's hilarious. Brosnan's an Irishman, and I know my history when it comes to England's dealing with Ireland, yet not too many Brits seem to be offended.

Look, acting is acting. Bond films are their own thing, seperate from Ian Fleming's concept. That makes the idea of being a Bond 'purist' as ridiculous as using sailships is the Royal Navy. Of course, Bondpurist does give the illusion of being trendy and enlightened.

So, if an actor from Amuricah was good enough to be Bond, so be it. I mean, it's never gonna come down to that anyway, there are more than enough talented people elsewhere.

And this thing about Bond being about British pride? C'mon, there are better things to be proud of. A lot of them only work to reenforce certain stereotypes of British behavour, such as being snobbish, using the word 'rubbish' and thinking you've insulted someone, or calling Americans yanks.

#90 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 28 August 2002 - 07:32 PM

Originally posted by Mansfield 005 (edited)
James Bond is British?

Sean Connery - Scottish
George Lazenby - Austrailian
Roger Moore - English (I'll give you that one)
Timothy Dalton - Welsh
Pierce Brosnan - Irish
Your beloved Clive Owen is Scottish if I'm not mistaken.  Atleast, I thought I heard he was.

In case you didn't know Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland are all part of Great Britain.