#61 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 01:40 AM

Here are 3 more, that I didn't realise were in England until today:-

Octopussy - the airbase in the PTS is in England.

AVTAK - the mine entrance is the Railway museum at Amberley, Sussex.

DAD - Bond & Jinx's "cabin of love" at the very end was filmed in Wales. The interior filming was a set of course.

#62 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 05:55 AM

I really don't like plain looking countryside, case in point the driving scene in GF where Bond is trailing Goldfinger through europe is nothing great to look at!

Those are some of the best scenes of Godlfinger. They really make the film appear epic. Put the scenes shot in America to shame, really.

#63 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 05:59 AM

I agree with you, JimmyBond.

I love the scenes of Bond tailing Goldfinger & Oddjob, and the scenery is beautiful.

By the way, do you see the movies in a different light, knowing that they were filmed in England? I will certainly be looking at the mine shaft entrance in AVTAK in a different way.

I am going back to the UK for a holiday soon, and I may visit some of these locations.(also the church from the PTS of FYEO).

#64 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 10:50 AM

They have filmed at Black Park before???

Which Bond scenes were filmed there?

Black Park was featured extensively in OCTOPUSSY if my memory serves me correctly, but unfortunately I cannot remember exactly what scenes at the moment. It was also the setting for the car chase through the forest near the factory in GOLDFINGER. Also, in the end credits of DIE ANOTHER DAY, thanks are made to the 'Black Park Country Club' so it may also have been used there. I believe that it's the lake that in the park that's often used most extensively by the producers, and it is possibly where they are filming this week.

Edited by Vauxhall, 22 June 2006 - 11:29 AM.

#65 marktmurphy

marktmurphy

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9055 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 11:22 AM

I really don't like plain looking countryside, case in point the driving scene in GF where Bond is trailing Goldfinger through europe is nothing great to look at!

Er... what? The Alps are nothing great to look at? I'm a bit baffled- which of the shots of gorgeous mountain scenery bored you?

#66 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 11:48 AM

Probably comes from the "just blow it up" generation.

#67 Colonel Moon

Colonel Moon

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 404 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 12:00 PM

I love that scene in GF :tup: :D :D

#68 Gag Halfrunt

Gag Halfrunt

Cadet

• Crew
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 07:13 PM

What I'm interested in knowing, however, is how do films like BOURNE (yes, yet another reference to it) appear to incorporate locations such as India, Moscow, Berlin and Paris in such extensive fashion? You would think that the amount of filming done in those movies would be extremely expensive. Of course, star salaries probably had something to do with the Brosnan era's relative lack of location work.

The Bourne Supremacy had a largely German crew, and was based at the Babelsberg studio in Potsdam, near Berlin. Because of this, only the Moscow and India scenes involved the expensive and difficulty of filming in foreign locations, and in fact some of the Moscow scenes were filmed in Berlin to save money. The Bourne Identity was filmed almost entirely in Prague and Paris, using locations in Prague to stand in for Zurich.

#69 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 08:22 PM

Welcome to CBn, Gag Halfrunt. :tup:

#70 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 03:09 AM

Re Black Park, it seems it has been used for lots of movies, including the "Carry On" films, and there is even a filming location tour there these days!

#71 Gag Halfrunt

Gag Halfrunt

Cadet

• Crew
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 06:01 PM

Re Black Park, it seems it has been used for lots of movies, including the "Carry On" films, and there is even a filming location tour there these days!

Black Park just happens to be just outside Pinewood Studios.

#72 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 01:35 AM

Yes, I realise that Black Park is near Pinewood. I have been to Black Park.

#73 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 12:22 AM

Just wanted to bump this up to see if anyone else agrees/disagrees with the comments on UK locations vs real locations.

This was prompted by Loomis in another post commenting about the shot of the English countryside when Helga Brandt bails out on Bond in the plane, in YOLT.

#74 erniecureo

erniecureo

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 379 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 07:19 AM

I agree re: the use of real locations being superior to "doubled" ones--the Goldfinger drive through Switzerland was awesome, although as a Yank, I wouldn't know Leicestershire from Luxembourg!

Here's another reason I like the real locations, however--they're a slice of life, frozen forever. Want to see what Vegas looked like 30 years ago? DAF is your answer. And when Oddjob is tailed by Leiter and his CIA pal in GF, it's fun to look at the old signs for restaurants and shops. As a matter of fact, one thing I never get tired of is looking at "Then and Now" photography books, i.e., the ones where they take a photo from a hundred years ago (or fifty, or twenty) and then show what it looks like today.

What can I say, I'm a nostalgist (is that a word?).

#75 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 12 September 2006 - 01:38 AM

Good points ernie.

I also thought I would bump this up again, just because we have had a glimpse of the real locations in CR, from the trailer now.

#76 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 05:18 AM

and of course Black Park doubling up as Madagascar!

#77 JimmyBond

JimmyBond

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10559 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 05:24 AM

and of course Black Park doubling up as Madagascar!

Uganda...actually.

#78 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 05:32 AM

Oops! Sorry, Uganda.

I am amazed that they can turn Black Park into Uganda. The only reason they pick Black Park is because it's near Pinewood!! I think it's so funny that it appears in so many movies just for that reason!

#79 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 03:11 AM

It was great to see Black Park in the movie!

:)

#80 bill007

bill007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2072 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 03:21 AM

Besides, the budget was only for $150 Million. Not $150 Brazillion. lol.

Edited by bill007, 15 December 2006 - 03:21 AM.

#81 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 03:45 AM

And Black Park did look quite good as Uganda, although I kinda recognised it as Buckinghamshire!!

#82 bill007

bill007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2072 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 03:54 AM

Perhaps this IS the correct thread for this.....

Did you notice during the Bond/Vesper beach scene that Craig had goose-bumps? And his nipples were....hard?

That told me they were probably around Brighton for this scene, and not in the Mediterranian.

#83 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 07:10 AM

Awkward. :)

For the answer to the question this thread poses, look no further than FRWL, TB, OHMSS, and CR.

By the way, did anyone else think that they used Vegas so poorly in DAF that one might convince a novice to believe it was all shot at Pinewood?

#84 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 02:07 PM

And Black Park did look quite good as Uganda, although I kinda recognised it as Buckinghamshire!!

Yeah they weren't quite able to hide all the pine trees!!

Did you notice during the Bond/Vesper beach scene that Craig had goose-bumps? And his nipples were....hard?

That told me they were probably around Brighton for this scene, and not in the Mediterranian.

To my knowledge, that was filmed in the Bahamas. Probably a bit warmer than Brighton :)

#85 bill007

bill007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2072 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 04:06 PM

Awkward. :)

No, I'm not gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I just thought Craig looked cold. Physically cold.

#86 00Twelve

00Twelve

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7706 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 04:17 PM

LOL!! I was only joking...I know you're not gay...

...not that there's anything wrong with that!

#87 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 11:07 PM

Yeah they weren't quite able to hide all the pine trees!!

LOL, yep, not quite!

#88 blabbyboy

blabbyboy

Cadet

• Crew
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 11:23 PM

I've always been a little disappointed that the modern Bond pics either lack them or fail to make adequate use of them. I say, don't just use a location in a superficial manner (i.e. for a "tropical" backdrop that includes citizens), but incorporate the culture and feel of the location into the story. I also agree with FLEMINGFAN who prefers the use of one or two locations as opposed to "intense globe-hopping."

CR looks to be on a much better track than previous films, but let's not forget that another UK location, Dunsfeld Aerodrome, is standing in for Miami this time around.

I do not know if the new film is more on track, as they still seem to want to continue the cheat of using one locale to sub for another.

However, it is still better than making up a fictional country, as is LIVE AND LET DIE.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think a fictional country was made up for CR...when Mokala runs into the "Nagambi" (or whatever it was) embassy in "Madagascar"...I've only seen the film twice twice but that's what I recall...

#89 DaveBond21

DaveBond21

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18026 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 11:33 PM

Errr...are you trying to tell us that Madagascar doesn't exist?

#90 Vauxhall

Vauxhall

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 01:05 AM

Hmm... Madagascar certainly exists - think a few more geography lessons are needed in that instance!! Although, the Nambutu Embassy is certainly entirely fictional.