377 replies to this topic

#31 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 08:42 PM

What did Connery have to say about Dalton?

View Post

I'll try to paraphrase from my memory of an ET weekly article:

"He has shakespearian training but he under estimated the role;Bond has to look and move a certain way and be dangerous but with a certain measure of charm...

...Pierce Brosnan is a good actor...he should add something new to it"

Not exactly insulting but not flattering either.

#32 Bon-san

Bon-san

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4124 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 08:46 PM

One thing I'm certain of:

Lazenby couldn't give a rot whether any of us think his comments (if he even made them) were unseemly.

#33 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 08:52 PM

And they are not "unprofessional" since he has no profession! :)

#34 doublenoughtspy

doublenoughtspy

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4122 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 08:53 PM

It came from The Sun 10 years ago:

That wimp Brosnan's no match for my 007, says OldenEye George Lazenby

From The Sun [London], Nov. 10, 1995

Failed Bond star George Lazenby has made a stinging attack on new 007 Pierce Brosnan. The Aussie actor starred in the 1969 flop On Her Majesty's Secret Service -- which Brosnan described recently as "sad."

Now, in an exclusive interview, Lazenby has hit back, saying "I can tell you I was more of a fitting Bond than Brosnan. Bond is supposed to be a nice b******. Brosnan is just nice. Bond is supposed to walk in a room and be able to fight 3 guys at once. If Brosnan walked into a room, I doubt anyone would look up. But this is the 90s and women want a different man, a man who shows his feminine side. Pierce definitely has that."

---

I know Pierce was nice to George in one of the Bond retrospective shows, saying he got the short end of the stick.

#35 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 09:00 PM

George, why did you quit on us? :)

:)

#36 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 09:00 PM

Thanks Charles.....so it seems Lazenby was responding to a comment from Pierce.

#37 Roger Moore's Bad Facelift

Roger Moore's Bad Facelift

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 09:18 PM

Is it just me, or has the guy suddenly become a jerk?

View Post

He's def. become noticeably unhinged since being dropped from Bond.
I think it's great.
He's a wildcard now.
Never know what the dude's gonna say.

#38 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 09:30 PM

Lazenby, a major figure on the James Bond fandom circuit, criticized Brosnan for lacking charisma and for having "no problem showing his feminine side."

What's wrong with showing his feminine side? Nothing. So I think this was rude of The Laz to say... trying to make something negative when it's not. The Laz saying that he lacks charisma, ok he's doing the fan things and dissecting the 007 performance, nothing wrong with that.

Brosnan's response is characteristically mature: "George is just an angry, old, pissed-off guy. He was never an actor, but some pissed-off Aussie who doesn't know how to show his feminine side."

Well... it is true that The Laz can be an angry, old, pissed-off guy (he's personally never been that way around me, but I've heard that he can be this way). The "never an actor" comment is a but harsh. The "doesn't know how to show his feminine side" does come across as a little funny to me only because the Laz said "no problem showing his feminine side." But I'm sure it was a lot more serious that I'm reading it.

I don't know when the Laz said what he said, but as far as Brosnan's comments... Is this all something to say in an interview? Um, no. But on the other hand this IS from "The Playboy Interview" which is supposed to be candid and uninhibited and perhaps cause some controversy.

#39 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 09:39 PM

Stupid comments, for stupid reasons.

Shame on you Broz and Laz.

Bond is past for you two, get over it.

(Daniel Craig IS James Bond!)

#40 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 09:41 PM

http://commanderbond...item&item=26731

This doesn't seem like something he would say...

View Post

On the contrary, given Brosnan's comments earlier this year about EON and the Bond character it sounds exactly like the sort of thing he would say.

View Post

I'll second that.

---
On a related 3rd grader note: Lazenby's Bond would beat the crap out of Brosnan's Bond. :) haha... Lazenby after all served in special forces and ... was the Marlboro man. I mean come on.. you can't beat that :)

#41 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 09:42 PM

(Daniel Craig IS James Bond!)

View Post

Yeah!

#42 killkenny kid

killkenny kid

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6607 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 10:41 PM

*Yawn*

#43 BlackFelix

BlackFelix

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 345 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 10:44 PM

This whole thing is just a "media hook" trying to stir up trouble! Pierce, if it's true, should have known better than to air dirty laundry on a international fourm. The press are pulling him into a place he doesn't need to go, then they may put a negative spin on it to have Pierce seem like a real jerk! Besides it's really petty, I mean who's to say who's better or worse, it's all opinion!

Just leave poor ol' George out of it. He seems like like a really neat fellow with a regretful past. If given a chance George could have given all of them a run for the money.

#44 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 10:51 PM

I think we should all just keep our mouths shut until we see the entire interview and the context in which the answer falls.

I mean, we really don't even know what the question is!

That said, Pierce Brosnan is a human being that has been asked to respond to questions honestly. If someone asks me a question I'm going to tell the truth as I see it. I think Brosnan feels the same way for the most part and we can't really blame a guy for telling it like he sees it. I'd rather read an interview that's real than an interview that is just a pile of PR garbage.

#45 crheath

crheath

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 11:09 PM

I think we should all just keep our mouths shut until we see the entire interview and the context in which the answer falls. 

That said, Pierce Brosnan is a human being that has been asked to respond to questions honestly.  If someone asks me a question I'm going to tell the truth as I see it.  I think Brosnan feels the same way for the most part and we can't really blame a guy for telling it like he sees it.  I'd rather read an interview that's real than an interview that is just a pile of PR garbage.

View Post

When someone says, "George is just an angry, old, pissed-off guy. He was never an actor, but some pissed-off Aussie who doesn't know how to show his feminine side.", that sounds pretty bad no matter what context it falls on.

#46 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 11:13 PM

That said, Pierce Brosnan is a human being that has been asked to respond to questions honestly.  If someone asks me a question I'm going to tell the truth as I see it.  I think Brosnan feels the same way for the most part and we can't really blame a guy for telling it like he sees it.  I'd rather read an interview that's real than an interview that is just a pile of PR garbage.

View Post

When someone says, "George is just an angry, old, pissed-off guy. He was never an actor, but some pissed-off Aussie who doesn't know how to show his feminine side.", that sounds pretty bad no matter what context it falls on.

View Post

[mra] Unless they left the

#47 Quartermaster007

Quartermaster007

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1123 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 11:14 PM

What a baby.

#48 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 11:16 PM

I thought Laz made recent comments proclaiming a peace between the Bond fraternity and dismissing any conflict between himself and Brosnan? Can anyone add to that??

#49 hrabb04

hrabb04

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1706 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 11:21 PM

Really, folks? Who cares? Doesn't matter one way or the other in the scheme of things. Brosnan and Lazenby are adults, they can say what they want

#50 Bon-san

Bon-san

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4124 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 11:30 PM

Nice avatar, Tarl! :)

#51 Byron

Byron

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1377 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 11:59 PM

I have to agree that Brosnan is acting like a huge jerk.

For :) sake he did 4 films and spent 10 years in the role of Bond. This is not the papacy where one has to die in order to be replaced.

If anyone has real reason to feel aggrieved it is Tim Dalton - 5 years of carrying the torch without a film, with a studio pressuring him to resign. And he has maintained a dignified silence about it all.

#52 BlackFelix

BlackFelix

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 345 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 12:11 AM

Is it's true, and in proper context it makes Pierce seem like a jerk. I mean it's really easy to pick on George, I mean why not pick on someone like Rog or Tim. People only bully those that can't bully back.

Since 1969 I've only heard Lazenby to be kind and grateful to the fans and the franchise, even if he regrets his actions and his ultimate decision to quit! None the less, he's been a total gentlemen about it. Brosnan on the other hand since 2005 has been less than apperciative! I mean he has cause to be miffed, but attacking fellow actors regaurdless if they started it or not is a little un-called for!

The way Pierce has talked about Lazenby's lack of acting experience would make you think that Bond was "Hamlet" or requires classical training! And if that were the case only Dalton has room to judge any of them! The end!

#53 cvheady007

cvheady007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 12:14 AM

Honestly, I just found it humorous. I don't look differently at either actor because of it - there is no telling what context Lazenby would have made the comments in, and Pierce may have made a gut reaction statement, even laughingly.

No big deal in my book - just comical and entertaining.

#54 Carver

Carver

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1470 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 12:26 AM

The whole thing is just petty. Both have something very special in common in that they played the most coveted male role in cinema history, yet they're acting like really sad aging actors with nothing better to do than to argue through the press. IMO Brosnan was a better Bond than Lazenby, but I really don't care what either of them thinks about each other. It's boring really, handbags at dawn stuff.

#55 Bon-san

Bon-san

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4124 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 12:36 AM

Wonder how many pages this thread will get to.

I've got to start volunteering some time for the needy.

#56 Alex Zamudio

Alex Zamudio

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 12:48 AM

Well I read that the "sad" statement Pierce said about Lazenby's Bond more that 10 years ago was taken out of context and he meant the movie ended sad and tragic.

And during the press junket for DAD

#57 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 12:51 AM

I remember Brosnan seeming to sneer at Lazenby in an interview, dubbing him "the Crunchie guy". See the following thread:

http://debrief.comma...showtopic=13763

But Lazenby doesn't appear to be doing himself any favours, either.

View Post

I think this in itself was a response to another Lazenby remark....

#58 SeanValen00V

SeanValen00V

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 01:00 AM

Actually even Dalton was commenting on his fellow Bond actors, at DAD premiere, he said
"Sean was great, Roger was great, I hope I did my part, and Pierce is fantastic." He didn't menstion George. Now there was nothing wrong with Dalton's comments, but it showed, why didn't he menstion George? Because he knew he wasn't a actor ready for the chops the film demanded/that story demanded.

George wasn't a proper actor, and he started the negative comments regarding Pierce.

So I don't see it as Pierce being unprofessional, professional has nothing to do with it, it's a little personal media remarks between them.

No one really praises George in the media, only die hard bond fans like menstion him by name.

#59 B5Erik

B5Erik

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 465 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 01:05 AM

If anyone has real reason to feel aggrieved it is Tim Dalton - 5 years of carrying the torch without a film, with a studio pressuring him to resign. And he has maintained a dignified silence about it all.

View Post

Yeah, Dalton got screwed and he still maintained a dignified response to any Bond questions. I've never heard of him slamming anyone, even though he would have some grounds to.

I can understand why Pierce is upset - it's not like his Bond failed at the box office! He was let go at the height of his career as Bond (at least in terms of the box office numbers), and that's really got to hurt. If I did what most people thought was a great job for my company and the results were very profitable and THEN got fired? I'd be pissed. I'd probably shoot my mouth off big time - but, then again, I'm not Bond, James Bond.

As difficult as it may be, Pierce should just keep his comments short and professional, something like, "I enjoyed my time as Bond, and I wish I could have done another Bond movie, but the producers chose to go in another direction. I thought I could have done a great job moving in that direction, but they had different ideas and decided to make a change. I wish Daniel Craig well."

Now if he'd just stick to a comment like that and keep his anger to himself for at least a couple years he would come off much better.

#60 The Richmond Spy

The Richmond Spy

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1586 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 01:14 AM

If I was Brosnan, I'd be ticked too... but Daniel Craig is James Bond... so its not like either of them can do anything put point to their past movie(s)... and I think they both were great. Guys, stop the feudin'!

Edited by The Richmond Spy, 04 November 2005 - 01:14 AM.