147 replies to this topic

#91 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 07:08 PM

I haven't read SilverFin since it was released, but in a lot of ways, I think SilverFin needed to be that kind of story; the Young Bond books from Blood Fever onwards are more complex novels. I think younger readers needed to be softly introduced to the character of James Bond - less as Fleming's Bond and more as an ordinary boy.

#92 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 07:11 PM

Kids still tend to name SilverFin as their favorite Young Bond novel. Check out the poll at the official IFP website. SilverFin currently ranks #2.

http://www.ianflemingcentre.com/

This discussion also reminds me of this Charlie quote from our second CBn Interview.

"It’s interesting, as the books go on, I’m less worried about pleasing the kind of James Bond purists. And, at the same time, there’s nothing in the books that will grate. It all fits in with Fleming’s scheme and his facts, and there’s the usual allusions to things in the adult books. But what’s interesting is over here in England, Young Bond is very much seen by the kids as character in his own right. They’re not constantly relating it back to James Bond and the adult Bond and all that. They enjoy the books for what they are, and the character in the books for who he is. And that sort of gives me a little bit more freedom."

#93 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 07:17 PM

Last time I saw that poll, zen, Blood Fever was languishing in last place. Most interesting!

#94 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 07:18 PM

Yes, I was also surprised to see how low Blood Fever was on that poll.

Wish I could do polls on my site. Sorry Apple, but your iWeb software is not all that. I'm considering moving the entire site to some other software platform.

#95 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 09:01 PM

Kids still tend to name SilverFin as their favorite Young Bond novel. Check out the poll at the official IFP website. SilverFin currently ranks #2.

http://www.ianflemingcentre.com/

I don't think kids are the only ones voting in that poll and to be really fair not even 20 votes separates the first place book from the last place book. Hardly a good poll in which to judge.

#96 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 07:27 AM

And like K1 says, SilverFin is definitely the odd Young Bond book out in that it is the one most clearly written for children and is a mad scientist tale (although Dr. No and Blofeld in OHMSS/YOLT are pretty darn mad scientist-like). I didn't feel the Fleming vibe from YB until Blood Fever, and it just got stronger and stronger. But now I don't mind looking back at SilverFin as the origin of Young Bond. I also happen to like castles and mad scientists. :(

Yeah, I agree. It appeals to a specific readership. I place SilverFin last in the Young Bond stakes, but it does have some redeeming qualities. It is not a bad book at all, just that the other Young Bond titles are better. And to improve as the series goes on is a good thing.

#97 Sylvia Trench

Sylvia Trench

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 09:45 AM

To pick up on the mad scientist thread. Some of Fleming's books have very fantastical elements (the fight with the giant squid in Dr No, anyone?). When I watched Dr No again recently I was struck by how much of a sci fi movie it is. the sound effects and the music in Dr No's lair, the outfits, the underwater room. At the time it was made sci fi films were all the rage. Fleming was using bits and pieces of different genres to create his effect and after dr. NO the films could have gone in any direction. The film-makers have always been very adept at picking up on and emulating popular trends in film. And what about all the gadgets - not least the invisible car. what is Goldfinger with his laser? If not Ming the merciless terrorising Flash Gordon, or, well, a mad scientist. This stuff all looks quite run of the mill now, the real world has overtaken Bond (except for his invisible car). we forget how extraordinary this stuff looked at the time. The science in SIlverfin looks pretty plausible to me. It's based on hormones. Hellebore was simply experimenting with performance enhancing drugs, and steroids a little before his time!

#98 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 10:05 AM

To pick up on the mad scientist thread. Some of Fleming's books have very fantastical elements (the fight with the giant squid in Dr No, anyone?). When I watched Dr No again recently I was struck by how much of a sci fi movie it is. the sound effects and the music in Dr No's lair, the outfits, the underwater room. At the time it was made sci fi films were all the rage. Fleming was using bits and pieces of different genres to create his effect and after dr. NO the films could have gone in any direction. The film-makers have always been very adept at picking up on and emulating popular trends in film. And what about all the gadgets - not least the invisible car. what is Goldfinger with his laser? If not Ming the merciless terrorising Flash Gordon, or, well, a mad scientist. This stuff all looks quite run of the mill now, the real world has overtaken Bond (except for his invisible car). we forget how extraordinary this stuff looked at the time. The science in SIlverfin looks pretty plausible to me. It's based on hormones. Hellebore was simply experimenting with performance enhancing drugs, and steroids a little before his time!

Its none of the above I have a problem with.

It's that the trials that befall Young Bond in Silverfin would have most likely been quite beyond the capabilities of a 13 year old.

Fleming's Bond - a harden WW2 veteran in his mid 30s, however, defeating Dr No, for example, is far more plausible.

#99 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 01:58 AM

Got my book today and blasted through half of it. Excellent stuff! Kev Walker's artwork and layouts are dynamite, and I'm happy to see while they've condensed the book, nothing has really been omitted. I didn't think the trip to the circus would make this version, but it's there. I also like the new visual winks, like Bond wearing 007 on his chest during the race. Maybe that would have been too much for the book, but it works here, and I especially like how it's revealed.

Now, am I crazy, or has Walker revised his image of Young Bond to look a little more like a young Daniel Craig than a young Pierce Brosnan. Check it out.

Young Bond 2006
Posted Image

Young Bond 2008
Posted Image

#100 K1Bond007

K1Bond007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4932 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 04:01 AM

The image you labeled "Young Bond 2006" is Bond from Blood Fever, not SilverFin. There's a sort of progression to how Bond looks from the promotional artwork they previously released in my opinion. I see him as kind of "proper" and later adventurous in the SilverFin promotional artwork. Blood Fever looked more rebellious (which might be what he was going for considering the birth of the Danger Society). Double or Die was just dark, brooding. Hurricane Gold, he sort of looked like a bandit. Never released anything for By Royal Command.

#101 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 08:03 AM

Now, am I crazy, or has Walker revised his image of Young Bond to look a little more like a young Daniel Craig than a young Pierce Brosnan. Check it out.

Young Bond 2006
Posted Image

Young Bond 2008
Posted Image

No, Zen, my thoughts entirely!

I'd thought his more recent drawings had Craiged-up the image, made him more rugged, lost the Brosnan influence.

I put it down to coincidence and the fact Young Bond was ageing. But having seen what the Graphic Novel has done... I think it very deliberate.

Indeed, the promo shot of Young Bond standing tall, at Eton, wearing a frock coat (tails) and, if I recall, carrying a top hat, that was used in 2005 inconjuction with Silverfin that was 100% young Brozza + a dash of Connery has disappeared totally...

#102 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 06:52 PM

Blasted through the second half last night before bed and I really loved it. Again, Walker's art and layouts are just fantastic. I think this is easily the best James Bond graphic novel (but I still have a soft spot for Serpents Tooth).

My only complaint is it just isn't long enough. All of Charlie YB novels have an epic feel to them, and while I'm happy they included the entire book (condensed, of course) it just seemed to fly by so fast. But maybe I'm just accustomed to the slower pace of books. I don't read a lot of graphic novels.

A few more observations; I noticed the to-hot-for-the-US-publisher wrestling match between Bond and Wilder was cut. I had also forgotten all about the mutated pigs in Hellbores lab. Good creepy stuff!

I really hope this book does well and they continue with the series. The Young Bond books just got better and better as they went along and it would be terrific to see the other books as graphic novels.

#103 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 02:53 AM

I can't wait for my copy to arrive. The artwork of Young Bond himself is nothing short of stunning. I want the other books to be adapted.

#104 Donovan Mayne-Nicholls

Donovan Mayne-Nicholls

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 381 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 11:47 AM

I can't wait for my copy to arrive. The artwork of Young Bond himself is nothing short of stunning. I want the other books to be adapted.

My copy arrived yesterday and I feel exactly the same. I want to know exactly when we can expect BLOOD FEVER: THE GRAPHIC NOVEL and I really want it to be less than 12 months from now. Each page is hipnotically beautiful, the whole layout is exquisite. It sets a really high standard for Bond product in general.

#105 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 04:22 AM

I want to know exactly when we can expect BLOOD FEVER: THE GRAPHIC NOVEL and I really want it to be less than 12 months from now.

Indeed. I've finished BRC, and Blood Fever is still my favourite Young Bond book. I'd love to see it in graphic novel format, Double or Die as well. All of them are good books and would look great drawn in this manner. I'm a fan.

#106 quantumofsolace

quantumofsolace

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 11:05 AM

As good as this looks, I would much prefer the comic be a new story. Seeing Silverfin in this form is not very exciting but a new story in comic book form would be immense. Anyone agree?

#107 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 11:16 AM

I would like all 5 books to be adapted, then the series can continue with original stories.

#108 David Schofield

David Schofield

Commander

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3026 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 11:29 AM

I would like all 5 books to be adapted, then the series can continue with original stories.

My problem with original stories is:

1. Would Charlie have the puff or even time to write them? If not, what would be the quality?

2. Leading from point 1, would they be considered canonical? Trivial, perhaps... :(

#109 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 11:32 AM

I suppose they could start off with this short story concept that Charlie floated, taking place after Hurricane Gold on a ship if I recall.

#110 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 04:02 PM

Anyone going to the Charlie and Kev Walker signing today at Forbidden Planet? I believe [dark] is going to be there.

#111 sharpshooter

sharpshooter

Commander

• Executive Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8996 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 06:22 AM

while I'm happy they included the entire book (condensed, of course) it just seemed to fly by so fast.

A few more observations; I noticed the to-hot-for-the-US-publisher wrestling match between Bond and Wilder was cut.

As long as it is all there, that's fine. I suppose they can't really make the thing an encyclopedia length. Shame about them cutting that wrestling match, though. But it's not that much of a big deal in the large scheme of things.

#112 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 07:44 AM

Anyone going to the Charlie and Kev Walker signing today at Forbidden Planet? I believe [dark] is going to be there.

Certainly was.

I'd rushed back from Cambridge to get there, so unfortunately, wasn't thinking clearly enough to ask anything interesting or insightful. We had a bit of a chat about the Ian Fleming gala, which I attended, and I think I overheard him chatting to someone about the fact they're rejacketing the US editions, but I can't be sure on that. It's great to have someone like Charlie on board with Bond - a true professional!

The other thing I noticed was that it was an older crowd at the signing - I think I only saw one or two children in the queue. Could have been the Kev Walker draw, or the time of evening, but interesting all the same.

#113 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 06:17 PM

I thought there would be a different mix of people with Walker and the fact that it's a graphic novel.

I'm surprised how many Bond sites have completely ignored this release (and signings, etc), even sites that report on each and every Titan release. Maybe it's the distraction of QOS, but I worry the word isn't getting out, and I do think future YB graphic novels depend on SilverFin GN's success.

#114 Donovan Mayne-Nicholls

Donovan Mayne-Nicholls

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 381 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 07:47 PM

I thought there would be a different mix of people with Walker and the fact that it's a graphic novel.

I'm surprised how many Bond sites have completely ignored this release (and signings, etc), even sites that report on each and every Titan release. Maybe it's the distraction of QOS, but I worry the word isn't getting out, and I do think future YB graphic novels depend on SilverFin GN's success.

One of the problems has been IFP stubbornly trying to tie everything up during 2008. Final Fling should have been released late 2007 and not the same month as DMC. SFGN was kicked from May to September, then to October.
Next year there's no movie and no continuation novels. Even without knowing how well this first graphic novel will do, I guess IFP would intend to launch the next not later than a year after, which would mean Walker's already working on it. At the very least, this releases will maintain interest in the series until Higson hopefully starts with the Fettes years.

#115 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 08:10 PM

I think the SFGN move was simply because the book/art wasn't ready. I really hope Walker is already working on the next graphic novel, but I fear they are going to wait on SFGN sales, which means the next installment could be a long, long ways off.

Even though we don't have anything new next year (that we know about), I think it'll still be a satisfying year for the lit fan/collector. A lot of paperbacks coming out; FF, DMC, BRC. In the US we have the HG hardcover, the paperback DOD, and the rejacketed SF and BF. And, presumably, we'll also get a BRC limited edition by years end. Not to mention US editions of the Moneypenny, and at least one more Titan title.

#116 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 10:32 PM

Even though we don't have anything new next year (that we know about), I think it'll still be a satisfying year for the lit fan/collector. A lot of paperbacks coming out; FF, DMC, BRC. In the US we have the HG hardcover, the paperback DOD, and the rejacketed SF and BF. And, presumably, we'll also get a BRC limited edition by years end. Not to mention US editions of the Moneypenny, and at least one more Titan title.

True - I'll plump for the two By Royal Command editions, but that might be it. If they rejacket The Moneypenny Diaries: Guardian Angel to match the other two volumes (please?), I might pick up the trilogy in paperback.

#117 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 11:59 PM

Looks like the signed copy of the graphic novel finally shipped for me.

So many Bond and Bond-related books to read lately! :(

#118 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 05:37 AM

Got my inscribed copy today. Thank you, [dark]!

#119 [dark]

[dark]

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6239 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 01:00 PM

Got my inscribed copy today. Thank you, [dark]!

Wow, that was pretty speedy! Hope it arrived in good nick! :(

#120 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 03:37 PM

Yep. Perfect. Thanks. :(