This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

"Diamonds Are Forever" in Hollywood (Feb 5 @ 8pm)

70 replies to this topic

#61 Problem Eliminator

Problem Eliminator

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 219 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 09:45 PM

Great Bond action at the Egyptian.

True, the print of Diamonds was pretty bad at times, particularly at beginning and end, but nonetheless a great way to spend the evening. Though I have always regarded the movie as near the bottom of the 007 pile due to high camp and general production malaise, it holds up WAY better on the big screen. As it was my first visit, I was very impressed by the condition of the theater. The only tough part of the evening was resisting the urge to say aloud every line of the movie either before or as it was being said on screen. I succeeded for the most part.

It was great to meet the LA CBners, thanks to you guys for the hospitality. Sorry I missed the pre and post film get-togethers. Hopefully we can meet again and get a picture of me where I don't appear to be a bald, red-cheeked dope. After all, I'm not bald.

Despite some flaws in the film and its presentation, Diamonds Are Forever was a treat to experience at the Egyptian Theatre. I hope the future will see other 007 outings from the past given a second life on the big screen. Twice is the only way to live.

#62 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 10:38 PM

Neal: I just hope everyone doesn't mind the space-station we've thrown in at the end.

It about floored me.

Ahhh...That wry British wit. :)

View Post

What? Did he really say that? I missed that. That's a crack up. :)

View Post

You think Purvis was joking? :)

#63 mattbowyer

mattbowyer

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 11:18 PM

Sorry I missed this one guys, meeting Purvis and Wade would have been awesome.

#64 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 11:31 PM

Neal: I just hope everyone doesn't mind the space-station we've thrown in at the end.

It about floored me.

Ahhh...That wry British wit. :)

View Post

What? Did he really say that? I missed that. That's a crack up. :)

View Post

You think Purvis was joking? :)

View Post

LOL!

#65 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 01:06 AM

Sorry I missed it, guys. Sounds like it was a blast. :)

#66 Donovan

Donovan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 07:58 AM

ZenCat pointed them out as they walked in the theater before the screening and I thought to myself... I must say hi to them after the screening...It was a lovely little meet and greet. I think they just wanted to sneak in a sneak out, but as they said, "we've been recognized." They were very nice. :)

Psst... notice my CBn shirt. :)

View Post

That's cool they came for the screening. "Diamonds Are Forever" is their favorite Bond film.

#67 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 09:22 AM

I don't know that I'd believe that DAF is their favorite Bond, but none the less a classic Bond adventure from a different time with the original Bond.

Frankly, after making a flight from London to LA the most I've ever wanted to do is have a pint, check my messages and crash out.

These guys decided to take in some good/fun Bond.

Even after being spotted (probably the last thing they expected or wanted) they were cool and appreciated our enthusiasm.

Granted, I've got my views and my critiques, but as a fan I've got to admire the task they have.

:)

#68 The Dove

The Dove

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16671 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 04:30 PM

Thats so cool that you all bumped into Purvis and Wade!! Wish I could have been there myself. However, I was thinking of you all and decided to watch Diamonds Are Forever myself at home, though not at exactly the same time as you all were watching it. I wonder if any other CBN'ers were watching it the same night as well? :)

#69 Donovan

Donovan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 10:18 PM

I don't know that I'd believe that DAF is their favorite Bond, but none the less a classic Bond adventure from a different time with the original Bond.

View Post

You don't have to believe it.

But it is the truth.

#70 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 12:25 AM

View Post

You don't have to believe it. But it is the truth.

View Post

I believe it. :)

Did they say that in an interview somewhere or such?

#71 Donovan

Donovan

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 08:27 AM

I believe it. :)

Did they say that in an interview somewhere or such?

View Post

I've never read it in an interview. They said as much to a mutual friend. I don't know how much they may have talked about the film in the conversation, but I think for the sheer entertainment value of the film, the sophistication of diamonds as a mcguffin, the glittering setting of Las Vegas, the dark humor, etc. is why a lot of people like the film.

When you watch "Die Another Day" you can see a lot of things inspired from "Diamonds"--even though the whole film takes a nod to all of the films in one way or another.