#31 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 18 March 2002 - 05:37 AM

White Persian (17 Mar, 2002 10:52 a.m.):
Of course, we now know that the cat was the true master villain all along.

Other arch villain candidates:
Sir Ben Kingsley
Charles Dance
Alfred Molina
Sir Derek Jacobi
Michael Gambon
and Stacey Keach (if we have to have an American)*

Any of these would give powerful performances, and have the right "off-beat" physical qualities.

* This isn't an anti-American sentiment, I just can't picture American villains in Bond. Too prosaic somehow, though Keach would be the exception.

Darn, you remembered what I had forgotten! I had suggested Jacobi in the original thread of this that I couldn't find and thusly restarted.

Dave

#32 Tedley King

Tedley King

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 18 March 2002 - 02:00 PM

I also saw "The Tailor Of Panama" recently, Rush was good, but I can't see him being a Bond villian. Maybe someone like Dalton, macking a comeback,after all, technically he was kicked ut of he job in the late 80's beause of the legal battle with McClory. Has anyone else had the thought of Dalton becoming a Bond villian!?

#33 Lonely Gunman

Lonely Gunman

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 96 posts

Posted 18 March 2002 - 06:47 PM

There was a TV-movie some time ago, something like "Les Miserables" of Hugo, and Rush was the evil itself in this film.

Though she

#34 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 30 April 2002 - 07:55 AM

General Koskov (30 Apr, 2002 01:45 a.m.):
But you forget Bond did bonk Irma Bunt ...

Boy did this startle me until I read on!

#35 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 18 March 2002 - 11:33 PM

[quote]Lonely Gunman (18 Mar, 2002 06:47 p.m.):
Though she

#36 General Koskov

General Koskov

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 30 April 2002 - 12:45 AM

Mourning Becomes Electra (29 Apr, 2002 11:22 p.m.):
I know I'm being an ageist sexist.... but it would look like Bond killing his mother and I just can't see that happenning.  Heck he couldn't even kill the odious Rosa Klebb, Tanya had to do it for him.  Besides I think Dame Judi would love to plug someone.  :))

MBE

But you forget Bond did bonk Irma Bunt on the head. And supposedly she got killed by the geyser.

#37 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 29 April 2002 - 10:22 PM

Evil Doctor Cheese (29 Apr, 2002 07:37 p.m.):

Mourning Becomes Electra (29 Apr, 2002 05:48 p.m.):
Dame Maggie would make an interesting villian but probably someone else would have to kill her besides Bond, maybe Dame Judi could be the one to knock her off. ;-)

Why would some one else have to kill her? Go on James kill the b*tch if she's evil! Lets have a bit of equality here MBE!

LOL!!!!!!! Yeah I know I'm being an ageist sexist.... but it would look like Bond killing his mother and I just can't see that happenning. Heck he couldn't even kill the odious Rosa Klebb, Tanya had to do it for him. Besides I think Dame Judi would love to plug someone. :))

MBE

#38 ShockTroop22

ShockTroop22

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1013 posts

Posted 19 March 2002 - 12:08 AM

I'd really like to see Toby Stephens' mother; "Maggie Smith", potray a future villain. I dont know if anyone else will agree with me on this one, but i'd love to see it happen. She would have to be a rich-British woman, owns homes in south-africa, and the south of France. Her hench-men, could be her two twin daughters (eg, The Twins, from Agent Under Fire).
Thats just a concept, i have in my head - of what she would be like. Would anyone else like to see this happen?

#39 Evil Doctor Cheese

Evil Doctor Cheese

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1019 posts

Posted 19 March 2002 - 12:24 AM

I have been a great campioner of Maggie Smith as a Bond villain... infact she's in my second fan fic as Dame Diana Virtue... she's one mean mother!

#40 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 19 March 2002 - 06:03 AM

ShockTroop22 (19 Mar, 2002 12:08 a.m.):
I'd really like to see Toby Stephens' mother; "Maggie Smith", potray a future villain. I dont know if anyone else will agree with me on this one, but i'd love to see it happen. She would have to be a rich-British woman, owns homes in south-africa, and the south of France. Her hench-men, could be her two twin daughters (eg, The Twins, from Agent Under Fire).
Thats just a concept, i have in my head - of what she would be like. Would anyone else like to see this happen?

Do Dames Judi Dench and Maggie Smith know each other personally? Perhaps the characters could be old friends, although I admit that's in part borrowing from TWINE and Moonraker.

"Bond, I hope you know what you're doing. I've played bridge with this fellow Drax."

Dave

#41 Evil Doctor Cheese

Evil Doctor Cheese

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1019 posts

Posted 29 April 2002 - 06:37 PM

Mourning Becomes Electra (29 Apr, 2002 05:48 p.m.):
Dame Maggie would make an interesting villian but probably someone else would have to kill her besides Bond, maybe Dame Judi could be the one to knock her off. ;-)

Why would some one else have to kill her? Go on James kill the b*tch if she's evil! Lets have a bit of equality here MBE!

#42 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 29 April 2002 - 04:48 PM

rubixcub (19 Mar, 2002 06:03 a.m.):

Do Dames Judi Dench and Maggie Smith know each other personally?  Perhaps the characters could be old friends, although I admit that's in part borrowing from TWINE and Moonraker.

"Bond, I hope you know what you're doing.  I've played bridge with this fellow Drax."

Dave

Yes Dames Judi and Maggie know each other and are quite good friends. They've worked together in other films like A Room To A View and the recent Tea With Mussolini.

MBE

#43 Mourning Becomes Electra

Mourning Becomes Electra

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 29 April 2002 - 04:42 PM

Tanger (29 Apr, 2002 05:05 p.m.):
Watching 'The Hitcher' last night got me thinking of how perfect Rutger Hauer would be as a Bond villain.
I know that everyone's rooting for an OTT villain but this guy is especially good at playing gritty, realistic characters and it could make a good vengeance scenario. He thought about him as perhaps a 'new Blofeld' a relative of the old one taking vengeance on Bond for the death of his father/Uncle/Grandfather/Brother whatever.
He really was absolutely fantastic in 'The Hitcher' especially in the scenes where he was just stood or sat in rfont of the main character. He just seemed so calm, yet you could see the menace in his eyes.
He's definitely my new favourite for future Bond villain.

I had the same thought about Hauer, but while recently re-watching Blade Runner. He's magnificent; riveting, menancing, intelligent and easily the best thing about the film. He's also been very good in many other films; it's surprising that his career never took of the way it should have. But none-the-less he's an excellent actor with a great presence and voice and would make a memorable & worthy Bond villian.

MBE

#44 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 29 April 2002 - 04:05 PM

Watching 'The Hitcher' last night got me thinking of how perfect Rutger Hauer would be as a Bond villain.
I know that everyone's rooting for an OTT villain but this guy is especially good at playing gritty, realistic characters and it could make a good vengeance scenario. He thought about him as perhaps a 'new Blofeld' a relative of the old one taking vengeance on Bond for the death of his father/Uncle/Grandfather/Brother whatever.
He really was absolutely fantastic in 'The Hitcher' especially in the scenes where he was just stood or sat in rfont of the main character. He just seemed so calm, yet you could see the menace in his eyes.
He's definitely my new favourite for future Bond villain.

#45 neversaynever

neversaynever

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 370 posts

Posted 29 April 2002 - 02:43 AM

Having just seen Gosford Park, can I just add my suggestion: Jeremy Northam. Although, perhaps he'd make a better Bond than a villain. Either way, he belongs in a Bond movie.

#46 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 27 April 2002 - 06:46 PM

This is addictive...

Since Fleming's villains were "larger than life", a characteristic that recent film villains have been lacking, what about the most "larger than life" actor in the English speaking world, Brian Blessed?

#47 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 26 March 2002 - 10:25 AM

I'm quite sure Dames Judi Dench and Maggie Smith would know each other.

On another tack entirely, what about Donald Sutherland? With his white mane of hair and demonic eyebrows he's looking more and more villainous.

#48 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 26 March 2002 - 10:00 PM

White Persian (26 Mar, 2002 10:25 a.m.):
I'm quite sure Dames Judi Dench and Maggie Smith would know each other.

On another tack entirely, what about Donald Sutherland? With his white mane of hair and demonic eyebrows he's looking more and more villainous.

You know it seems to me that Donald Sutherland rather looks a little bit like how I pictured Fleming's Blofeld- tall, mustached, blue-eyed, interesting face. As I recall from YOLT Blofeld was supposed to be 6'3", with black hair and a mustache, blue eyes, and an unattractive face. Can anyone with a copy of YOLT help me fill in the details my memory has left out?

Dave

#49 scaramanga

scaramanga

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 26 March 2002 - 11:23 PM

At the moment I think that David Suchet would make a good villain. After watching him recently in the BBC series NCS Manhunt alongside Samantha Bond, and overlooking his performances as Hercule Poirrot in Poirrot, I was quite impressed with him as an actor and couldn't help thinking of him as a potential Bond villain.

#50 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 24 January 2002 - 08:08 AM

Would they cast a "name" villain though? Generally, they've used character actors, quite well known but no more than that. Christophers Walken and Lee were fairly big names I guess, but at the time of their respective films, Adolfo Celi, Yaphet Kotto, Gert Frobe? To the wider audience, surely not the name recognition of a Hopkins or Rickman (and not the fee, either).

The last thing that the Bond series wants to do, surely, is to descend into guest villain Arnold Schwarzenegger hell.

I suppose Jim Broadbent above is the exception to that, but I just can't see him in a Bond film, particularly as the villain.

We've had an absence of European villains for a bit. My first suggestion would be the blokey who played Pazzi in Hannibal.

Oh, hang it all, and hang my theory. Give it to Tommy Lee Jones and have done with it.

The only other suggestions I'd have would be Vincent price and Klaus Kinski, but as they're both very dead, this may prove a problem.

#51 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 24 January 2002 - 02:35 PM

I'd love to see the likes of Leonard Nimoy or James Earl Jones as the main villain, but I agree that the quasi-unknown character actor is usually the best choice.

#52 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 24 January 2002 - 09:46 PM

Jim (24 Jan, 2002 08:08 a.m.):
Would they cast a "name" villain though? Generally, they've used character actors, quite well known but no more than that. Christophers Walken and Lee were fairly big names I guess, but at the time of their respective films, Adolfo Celi, Yaphet Kotto, Gert Frobe? To the wider audience, surely not the name recognition of a Hopkins or Rickman (and not the fee, either).

The last thing that the Bond series wants to do, surely, is to descend into guest villain Arnold Schwarzenegger hell.

I suppose Jim Broadbent above is the exception to that, but I just can't see him in a Bond film, particularly as the villain.

We've had an absence of European villains for a bit. My first suggestion would be the blokey who played Pazzi in Hannibal.

Oh, hang it all, and hang my theory. Give it to Tommy Lee Jones and have done with it.

The only other suggestions I'd have would be Vincent price and Klaus Kinski, but as they're both very dead, this may prove a problem.

Y'know, I would've loved to see Vincent Price as a Bond villain. Maybe Peter Cushing could've worked (as long as we're talking horror movie actors). Still, they did use Price's English counterpart, Christopher Lee, to great effect.

I don't know if it's a question of would they cast a known, because there have been name stars in there before and others who have been offered the roles. Anthony Hopkins was twice offered the villain in the nineties, and Patrick Stewart, while he didn't end up in Bond 20, was rumored and may very well have been offered a part during the early stages of the script's development. Some other name actors to play villains were Donald Pleasence, Telly Savalas, and Louis Jourdan. They do tend to cast more unknown and quasi-unknown character actors, though lately they've been casting more quasi-unknown young actors (who are not character actors primarily).

BTW, the guy who played Inspector Rinaldo Pazzi in Hannibal is named Giancarlo Giannini.

I was just trying to pick up a thread that appears to be gone in which these suggestions were already made (except I'm not sure if anyone mentioned McKellen).

Jim Broadbent is well-known in England, but virtually unknown in the U.S. He's gaining prominence though, with supporting roles in three successful films this year- "Bridget Jones's Diary", "Moulin Rouge" and "Iris"- and a certain Oscar nomination for "Iris", possible win. That may propel him to name status. As it stands, while he is certainly an always-welcome character actor, he isn't a name in the U.S. I also have some difficulty picturing him as a Bond villain, but I have no doubt he could pull it off nicely.

And I agree, I wouldn't want Arnold Schwarzenegger anywhere near a Bond movie.

Another villain suggestion: Armin Mueller-Stahl (what happened to him after his Oscar nomination for "Shine"?) There were some others but I can't recall them at the moment.

Like I said, they don't cast name actors often to play the main villain, but if it's an affable choice I could see it happening. Jeremy Irons and Ian McKellen are still my fave picks for the job.

Dave

#53 Evil Doctor Cheese

Evil Doctor Cheese

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1019 posts

Posted 24 January 2002 - 10:05 PM

They do cast name villians nowadays... Sophie Marceau, Robert Carlisle, Johnathan Pryce, Sean Bean, Robbie Coltrane... hell even Goldie! They aren't big names but they're known for their great acting. That's why Anthony Hopkins, Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, Jim Broadbent, Jeremy Irons and Alan Rickman are all potential villians. Wasn't Rickman offered Trevelyan anyway - IMO he would've done a far better job than Sean Bean! All of the above would be marvellous villians.

But my choice has to be Maggie Smith... we need an older woman main villian - not a Bond girl gone bad! And with her son doing one this time and her best mate Judi Dench being M for the forseeable future I can't see why she'd turn it down.

#54 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 25 January 2002 - 01:48 AM

I think the main person I'd love to see as a Bond villain would be Bob Hoskins. He's a brilliant English accent. He's the perfect age. Watch 'Enemy At The Gates', his performance screams Bond Villain!

#55 Mr. Solo

Mr. Solo

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 83 posts

Posted 25 January 2002 - 02:21 AM

Blue Eyes (25 Jan, 2002 01:48 a.m.):
I think the main person I'd love to see as a Bond villain would be Bob Hoskins. He's a brilliant English accent. He's the perfect age. Watch 'Enemy At The Gates', his performance screams Bond Villain!

You know, I had never really thought of Hoskins, but now that you mention him, I think he'd be incredible... He could bring a real physicality and ruthlessness to the role. I'd rather *not* see an actor (no matter how talented) who has already done the "villain thing" in another major motion picture (e.g., Ian McKellan in "X-Men", Alan Rickman and Jeremy Irons in the "Die Hard" movies, Arnold Voorloos in "The Mummy"). I would like to be surprised by a relative unknown or well-known actor who has rarely, if ever, played a villain.

#56 rubixcub

rubixcub

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 25 January 2002 - 07:50 PM

Mr. Solo (25 Jan, 2002 02:21 a.m.):
You know, I had never really thought of Hoskins, but now that you mention him, I think he'd be incredible... He could bring a real physicality and ruthlessness to the role.  I'd rather *not* see an actor (no matter how talented) who has already done the "villain thing" in another major motion picture (e.g., Ian McKellan in "X-Men", Alan Rickman and Jeremy Irons in the "Die Hard" movies, Arnold Voorloos in "The Mummy").  I would like to be surprised by a relative unknown or well-known actor who has rarely, if ever, played a villain.

Jim Broadbent maybe?

Still, as far as seeing 'villain' actors playing Bond villains, I think it ups the anticipation, particularly for those who are familiar with the actor and can instantly agree that someone like Jeremy Irons or Ian McKellen would be awesome as a Bond villain. A degree of familiarity can make it more exciting as fans imagine what it would be like to see Bond squaring off against whoever it is, or imagining said actor interacting with Bond. It's fun stuff to imagine, even better when it pays off.

Dave

#57 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 26 January 2002 - 10:24 PM

If you go back to Fleming, villains tended to be of extreme physical types- either very tall or very short, exceedingly thin or grotesquely fat etc. Some of the recent villains have tended to be a bit, well, "normal".
I'd like to see a return to this larger (or shorter) than life principle.
Bob Hoskins would certainly fit the bill, as would actors like David Suchet, or Frank Langella, or Jean Reno (who has already been suggested on another thread) or Tom Baker, Richard Griffiths, Stephen Fry, Sir Ian Holm. Terrific actors who all fall outside the norm in physical appearance.

#58 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 26 January 2002 - 11:14 PM

White Persian (26 Jan, 2002 10:24 p.m.):(edited)
...or Tom Baker...

Fantasic idea Persian. I can picture what Tom Baker would have done as Zorin or Carver. It would have been wonderful and put those other ninnies to shame.

#59 White Persian

White Persian

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1218 posts

Posted 29 January 2002 - 11:05 AM

Watching Lord Of The Rings at the weekend reminded me about Hugo Weaving, who I tagged as a potential Bond baddie way back when he played Jardine in the "Bodyline" miniseries yonks ago.

He'd have made a terrific Alec Trevelyan.

#60 Affection

Affection

Cadet

• Crew
  • 19 posts

Posted 31 January 2002 - 01:07 AM

Mister Asterix (24 Jan, 2002 02:35 p.m.):
I'd love to see the likes of Leonard Nimoy.

An inspired idea!

Or how about an insider as the villian: R or Q? JOHN CLEESE as the villian.

Or PIERCE BROSNAN as his own villian. I know it's been done before, but not as the main villian, a plastic surgeoned Bond look-alike. Suppose Bond was taken hostage while his imposter took over his role for whatever sinister reasons, and that became Bond's mission.