117 replies to this topic

#61 SPECTRE ASSASSIN

SPECTRE ASSASSIN

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4247 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 02:42 AM

Spectre Assassin - Here's to hoping you can show your "parental units" the error of their ways.

Come on Spectre Assassin... we're dieing to meet you! :)

When I turn 18, love, I'll defintely have a car by then and I'll fet my "parental units" off my back. My parents is just protecting me, sadly, because they don't know you guys. They think you guys are "internet predators" or something in that nature. :) That's my explanation. I had requested a day-off from my work this sunday; it's a pity I'm not going. And anyway, I'm too young to drink. :)

Have fun guys! :)

#62 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 03:20 AM

This really came up fast. :)

Have a fantastic time to all who are going, only a few days.

It's The Spy Who Loved Me as the event, take many, many, many pictures.

#63 Glor (009)

Glor (009)

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 469 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 05:12 AM

My other half and I are very much looking forward to it. Congrats to your friends 003 and best of luck to them. We're coming up on 8 1/2 years ourselves and she's been to all 4 Brosnan premier showings with me. We even went to a party late once just so we could see the film first.

It will be great to meet everyone. Spectre, I seriously doubt predators would be lurking in a Bond chat room. There are a lot worse places to be spending time online. Good for your parents for caring though.

A fun time will be had by all. Just so we know, is the film casual or Bond clothing? I'll have my martini shaken not stirred and straight up with a twist. Just a whisper of vermouth.

Seriously...just whisper the word and keep the bloody bottle under the bar.

What time will Miss Munroe be there on Saturday signing autographs? Does anyone know? I might try to swing by with my "Women Of Bond" book.

#64 PrinceKamalKhan

PrinceKamalKhan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11139 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 04:21 PM

You all have fun. According to the link, she should be there tonight for a screening of The Golden Voyage of Sinbad at 5PM. I'd go both tonight and tomorrow night if I lived in Southern California. Tell Caroline that PrinceKamalKhan sends his regards. I think of all Bond girls, Miss Munro is the one of the top 2-3 I would like to meet in real life. She's always seems real friendly in her interviews and I've heard she's always very nice to her fans.

#65 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 07:07 PM

Have fun, guys. :)

#66 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 02:27 AM

Damn! Why couldn't have this a WEEK later?!

Then'd i'd definitely be there!

#67 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 03:08 AM

:) That would make me quite angered, in the simplest of terms.

#68 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 05:32 AM

So you're still coming into town?! :) Yahoo!!! Will you be able to break away from the parental units for a night of BONDing???

#69 Solex Agitator

Solex Agitator

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 08:43 AM

I just returned from day one of the Caroline Munro tribute and it was a dazzler.

The print of SINBAD was, in the tradition of Dynamation, dynamite! The film brought back a flood memories. Wonderful entertainment.

CAPT. KRONOS was a bit faded but spectacular none-the-less. CAPT. KRONOS is a most unique and imaginative yarn with boundless spirit. Seek it out if you have a chance.

Ms. Munro did sign autographs for a couple of hours and will also do so tomorrow! Come early! She has photos for sale as well as a DVD documentary about her life.

The Q and A was especially wonderful as Ms. Munro was joined by her SINBAD co-star John-Phillip Law and the film's director Gordon Hessler!

The popcorn was fresh and the audience respectful.

See you tomorrow!

#70 SPECTRE ASSASSIN

SPECTRE ASSASSIN

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4247 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 03:30 PM

So you're still coming into town?! :) Yahoo!!! Will you be able to break away from the parental units for a night of BONDing???

Don't tick me off, love! :)

:)

JK.

#71 PrinceKamalKhan

PrinceKamalKhan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 11139 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 01:19 AM

I just returned from day one of the Caroline Munro tribute and it was a dazzler.

The print of SINBAD was, in the tradition of Dynamation, dynamite! The film brought back a flood memories. Wonderful entertainment.

CAPT. KRONOS was a bit faded but spectacular none-the-less. CAPT. KRONOS is a most unique and imaginative yarn with boundless spirit. Seek it out if you have a chance.

Ms. Munro did sign autographs for a couple of hours and will also do so tomorrow! Come early! She has photos for sale as well as a DVD documentary about her life.

The Q and A was especially wonderful as Ms. Munro was joined by her SINBAD co-star John-Phillip Law and the film's director Gordon Hessler!

The popcorn was fresh and the audience respectful.

See you tomorrow!

Dude, I am so jealous! I know I would have enjoyed that. I would love to see the Caroline Munro DVD documentary on her life. Do you have any information on how I could get a copy of it?

#72 mccartney007

mccartney007

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 06:20 AM

Caroline is very wonderful. I've had the pleasure of meeting her many times and was even lucky enough to share a train car with her and her assistant in England. She's truely a great lady.

#73 Solex Agitator

Solex Agitator

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 07:00 AM

Please, my dear colleagues, excuse for this most brief post. I am delerious. I am dizzy.

I can offer you only one succinct word for this evenings screenings.

It a delicious word.

It contains magic and wonderment.

The word is:

STARCRASH!

Please find attached a photo of Ms. Munro and Mr. Forry J. Ackerman of FAMOUS MONSTERS OF FILMLAND fame for you enjoyment.

Cheers!

And, oh yes, THE SPY WHO LOVED ME is a masterwork.

Edited by Solex Agitator, 09 August 2004 - 10:18 AM.

#74 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 07:27 AM

Very cool, Solex. Wish I could have been there.

#75 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 12:47 PM

Very cool Solex! How it would have been great to meet her.

#76 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 03:04 PM

What a great screening. The SPY print was amazing, and it had the old TransAmerica UA logo. Watching this movie on the big screen with an audience I'm again reminded just how good a MOVIE it is, forget that it's a Bond movie. Ayna really jumped out at me this time as a great female character. Thinking of Halle Berry as Jinx...wow have we gone downhill. And performance-wise Barbara Bach is really amazing. I woke up this morning thinking about this movie, these characters. I missed them. I've been waiting for a Bond movie as good as SPY and I now realize it just isn't ever going to happen. SPY was the perfect mix of nuanced 70s cinema and the Bond genera. We won

#77 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 05:16 PM

Watching this movie on the big screen with an audience I'm again reminded just how good a MOVIE it is, forget that it's a Bond movie.

I know what you mean. THE SPY WHO LOVED ME kind of has its own identity outside the Bond series. It doesn't "need" or "lean on" the series (unlike, say, THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN or, say, THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH, or, heck, most of 'em). It stands proud as a fun action blockbuster in its own right, a bit like RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK or something, without any "franchise baggage". I'm putting all this slightly poorly, but I'm sure you get where I'm coming from.... well, of course you do! I'm echoing your opinion! :) But, yes, you do kind of happily forget about all the other Bond flicks while watching TSWLM.

I posted the following on another thread on CBn the other day, and I'd be very interested to know whether you'd agree with this:

THE SPY WHO LOVED ME - and I've only just realised this - is a very, very 60s-flavoured Bond film. It's the most 60s-ish of all the 70s Bonds. LIVE AND LET DIE was almost aggressively 70s in an "it's a new world, with new enemies, etc." kind of way, touching (albeit very lightly indeed) on serious social issues like racism and urban drug abuse. THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN conjures up a 70s atmosphere of kung fu, wah-wah guitars and tacky cinema ads for the local curry house. MOONRAKER is very STAR WARS (sorry, zencat ). Etc.

But TSWLM seems a real throwback to the big, widescreen, crazy psychedelic 60s Bond epics, filled with beautiful, big-breasted, pre-feminism (apparently) women and elaborate lairs for baddies. If there's one 70s Bond outing Austin Powers would feel right at home in, it's TSWLM. Probably because it's a remake of YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE.

#78 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 05:18 PM

What a great screening. The SPY print was amazing, and it had the old TransAmerica UA logo. Watching this movie on the big screen with an audience I'm again reminded just how good a MOVIE it is, forget that it's a Bond movie.

It's the best movie ever. Period.

Really quite that simple, I'd love to see it on the big screen.

#79 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 05:19 PM

Watching this movie on the big screen with an audience I'm again reminded just how good a MOVIE it is, forget that it's a Bond movie.

I know what you mean. THE SPY WHO LOVED ME kind of has its own identity outside the Bond series. It doesn't "need" or "lean on" the series (unlike, say, THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN or, say, THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH, or, heck, most of 'em). It stands proud as a fun action blockbuster in its own right, a bit like RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK or something, without any "franchise baggage". I'm putting all this slightly poorly, but I'm sure you get where I'm coming from.... well, of course you do! I'm echoing your opinion! :) But, yes, you do kind of happily forget about all the other Bond flicks while watching TSWLM.

I posted the following on another thread on CBn the other day, and I'd be very interested to know whether you'd agree with this:

THE SPY WHO LOVED ME - and I've only just realised this - is a very, very 60s-flavoured Bond film. It's the most 60s-ish of all the 70s Bonds. LIVE AND LET DIE was almost aggressively 70s in an "it's a new world, with new enemies, etc." kind of way, touching (albeit very lightly indeed) on serious social issues like racism and urban drug abuse. THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN conjures up a 70s atmosphere of kung fu, wah-wah guitars and tacky cinema ads for the local curry house. MOONRAKER is very STAR WARS (sorry, zencat ). Etc.

But TSWLM seems a real throwback to the big, widescreen, crazy psychedelic 60s Bond epics, filled with beautiful, big-breasted, pre-feminism (apparently) women and elaborate lairs for baddies. If there's one 70s Bond outing Austin Powers would feel right at home in, it's TSWLM. Probably because it's a remake of YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE.

Good points. I agree with you, Loomis. :)

#80 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 05:27 PM

The screening was a blast! The film was just... wow... I was in awe to see The Spy Who Loved Me on the big screen. It was like traveling back in time... kinda kinky :)

Anywho, I have pics from the night and will post them up when I get home from work tonight. (last night, somehow I got stuck in the middle of a photo shoot with Ms. Caroline Munro and Mr. Forry J. Ackerman. So it became the Ackerman, Munro, Stamos photoshoot... I certainly didn

#81 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 05:43 PM

It was a grand event and to echo everyone above, seeing it on the big screen with an audience was a treat. A film that has stood the test of time. There's a reason this is my "most viewed" Bond. :)

A lively crowd to be sure, but not insane (CBn attendees excluded). Some moments that leap to mind:

The distinct cheers when the gunbarrel rolled out with much applause.

"What a helpful chap."

The awe filled gasps from many when the Liparus interior is first revealed.

and of course, the entire place applauding loudly with each appearance by the lovely Miss Munro. (I even heard a few "Boo's" when she meets her demise) .

The company of the "usual CBn suspects" was great as well. My only hitch was that I forgot my own camera, fortunately I new a certain Bond girl with a reputation for taking lots of pics would have us all covered.

A late lunch/early dinner kicked off the evening at a great little pub next door and myself, Zencat & Athena, Ry, Glor (009) along with Mrs. 009 and Solex set the mood.

Special thanks to "our inside man" Solex who, being connected with the event, secured us a group of seats that were perfect. - THANK YOU good sir!

As to the gorgeous "Naomi" - She was just that and a gem to everyone during her signings and the Q&A in between screenings of the films.

"What a handsome craft" :)

It was a kick and a half. Great time everyone!

Now....What mischief should the LA CBn crew get into next?

#82 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 05:48 PM

THE SPY WHO LOVED ME - not my fave Bond flick (although I do like it), but overwhelmingly the one I'd most like to see on the big screen (never seen it as it was meant to be seen and must be seen - in the cinema).

Number two on my big screen wish list's probably THUNDERBALL.

#83 Ry

Ry

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 06:31 PM

Wow what an evening. Drinks and food before hand was wondferful with the gang. Star Crash was an amazing event. Words can truly not describe this film. And then there was The Spy Who Loved Me along with the always beautiful Munro in attendance! Sometimes I really think TSWLM is the best Bond film ever. I have to agree with Zencat that it truly works as a stand alone film as well. When that grisp gun barrell came on screen I knew that this print was going to be amazing. The scope and scale on the big screen cannot be described in words. With the exception of seeing Goldfinger on the big screen, this was it for me. AMAZING. God I hope they have more of these. You Only Live Twice and Moonraker would be terrific as well.

And Athena and Bryce I had my milk before I went to bed thank you very much!

#84 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 06:34 PM

hee hee... I saw that you had posted and I was going to say "Got Milk?" ...well, I'm very glad you're getting your calcium :)

#85 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 06:37 PM

Promptly followed by some animal crackers and crying yourself to sleep.

Right? :)

#86 Ry

Ry

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 07:01 PM

that would be correct good sir!!! How sad.... :)

#87 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 07:20 PM

The scope and scale on the big screen cannot be described in words.  With the exception of seeing Goldfinger on the big screen, this was it for me.  AMAZING.  God I hope they have more of these.  You Only Live Twice and Moonraker would be terrific as well.

I was lucky enough to see YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE at London's National Film Theatre a few years ago. A really wonderful big screen experience.

The Bonds that I'll wager are best seen on the big screen are:

THUNDERBALL

YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE

THE SPY WHO LOVED ME

MOONRAKER

(Of course, ideally, they all should be seen on the big screen, but those four, I think, really demand big screen viewing.)

ETA: Hmmm.... now, does that make Lewis Gilbert the #1 director of "epic" Bond films, I wonder?

#88 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 07:30 PM

Promptly followed by some animal crackers and crying yourself to sleep.

that would be correct good sir!!! How sad.... :)

Awwwwww...
*strokes Ry's arm*

:)

#89 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 07:30 PM

Awwwwww...
*strokes Ry's arm*