366 replies to this topic

#121 Seannery

Seannery

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 06:33 PM

I agree that what we hear and have heard in the past about potential Bonds does not necessarily come from Eon--though I will differ by saying at times it could be. In fact I believe like you much of it can be PR and strategy. Of the five candidates only Jackman and Owen have been getting heavy Bond PR which in the end may not mean they will get the job. They may just have better PR people and more heat at the moment which doesn't translate necessarily into being awarded Bond. Whoever is seen to be the best fit regardless of PR and press mentions will get the job.

Not to be too nitpicky as a point of fact the Adrian Paul Bond rumors were in the mid 90's not 80's. With bankability Brosnan only became bankable for Bond after the fact--he had zero movie bankability before Goldeneye. The best he did was a supporting role in Mrs. Doubtfire. Before that he never carried a film to box office glory except for the minor hit "The Lawnmower Man". Other than that film he had zero box office success.

#122 JBJ

JBJ

Cadet

• Crew
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 08:29 PM

I like either Firth or preferably James Purefoy.

#123 Slaezenger

Slaezenger

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 402 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 03:23 AM

[quote name='Seannery' date='13 June 2004 - 18:33']
Not to be too nitpicky as a point of fact the Adrian Paul Bond rumors were in the mid 90's not 80's.

Edited by Slaezenger, 18 June 2004 - 04:53 PM.

#124 Seannery

Seannery

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 07:12 AM

Wow. I did not know that about Paul in the mid 80's. I knew the big noise with him was in the pre-Goldeneye period and beyond. But you were there so I definitely take your word on that--he would have been in his low to mid 20's then. Quite ambitious for someone so young and inexperienced at the time.

#125 Slaezenger

Slaezenger

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 402 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 05:07 PM

Wow. I did not know that about Paul in the mid 80's.

He would have been 25 at the time. Cuts a pretty Bondian profile imo:

http://www.celebstat...800/Adrian_Paul

#126 Seannery

Seannery

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 07:08 PM

Great picture Slaezenger! I agree, very Bondian indeed. Perhaps a sign of things to come. I would be very happy if that is the result.

#127 Seannery

Seannery

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 10:20 AM

One of the six candidates got a nice write up in a national periodical in the USA concerning Bond and suprise of suprises it wasn't one of the golden boys Jackman or Owen.

It was Adrian Paul. Parade Magazine which is read nation-wide often distributed with sunday papers recently conducted a poll across the country on who should replace Pierce Brosnan as Bond once he hangs it up. The results were given today.

They report that Adrian Paul was the "hands-down" winner of the poll to be the next James Bond. What an upset! He easily beat all the others including Jackmen and Owen. This shows the suprisingly wide-spread support for Paul to be Bond out in the country beyond our little corner of the world--CBn.

This coupled with the news that Owen may not be ultimately interested or in the chase and with our own CBn recently reporting that a decision for who will play Bond is near--could all this be an indication that Adrian Paul may pull a suprise and be the candidate that they choose as James Bond. Perhaps the Parade results are being brought out now in coordination because they may be announcing Paul soon as Bond. I'm not saying it is so, but I wouldn't discount it offhand.

Edited by Seannery, 27 June 2004 - 11:16 AM.

#128 Martin Mystery

Martin Mystery

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 10:29 AM

One of the six candidates got a nice write up in a national periodical in the USA concerning Bond and suprise of suprises it wasn't one of the golden boys Jackman or Owen.

It was Adrian Paul. Parade Magazine which is read nation-wide often distributed with sunday papers recently conducted a poll across the country on who should replace Pierce Brosnan as Bond once he hangs it up. The results were given today.

They report that Adrian Paul was the "hands-down" winner of the poll to be the next James Bond. What an upset! He easily beat all the others including Jackmen and Owen. This shows the suprisingly wide-spread support for Paul to be Bond out in the country beyond our little corner of the world--CBn.

This coupled with the news that Owen may not be ultimately interested or in the chase and with Mi6.co.uk recently reporting that a decision for who will play Bond is near--could all this be an indication that Adrian Paul may pull a suprise and be the candidate that they choose as James Bond. Perhaps the Parade results are being brought out now in coordination because they may be announcing Paul soon as Bond. I'm not saying it is so, but I wouldn't discount it offhand.

heh... It'll be a cold day in hell before Adrian Paul gets the part.
After all, the actor portraying Bond must be able to act...

#129 Seannery

Seannery

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 10:37 AM

Well obviously a lot of people disagree with you as the result of the poll shows. He is at least the equal to Pierce and Roger acting wise and that is easily plenty enough. We will have to agree to disagree on that point buddy. :)

#130 Martin Mystery

Martin Mystery

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 10:47 AM

Well obviously a lot of people disagree with you as the result of the poll shows.  He is at least the equal to Pierce and Roger acting wise and that is easily plenty enough.  We will have to agree to disagree on that point buddy. :)

Okay... but know this: If Adrian Paul bags Bond, I'll go to work NAKED!
Seannery, what will you do if Clive Owen nails it? :)

#131 Seannery

Seannery

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 10:58 AM

Well for one I am glad we don't work in the same place! :)

About Clive, he wouldn't be close to my first choice but he would be decent enough though too one-dimensionally serious for my tastes ala Dalton. So since he is serious and grim, i'll become an executioner on death row if he is picked :)

Edited by Seannery, 27 June 2004 - 11:23 AM.

#132 Seannery

Seannery

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 11:30 AM

My bad it was in our own CBn not MI6 that reported that the Bond decision may be very near. My original post concerning Adrian Paul winning hands-down the poll of who should be the next James Bond has now been edited to show that.

Edited by Seannery, 27 June 2004 - 11:32 AM.

#133 Martin Mystery

Martin Mystery

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 09:27 PM

About Clive, he wouldn't be close to my first choice but he would be decent enough though too one-dimensionally serious for my tastes ala Dalton. So since he is serious and grim, i'll become an executioner on death row if he is picked :)

Clive is anything but serious and grim - I guess you didn't see CHANCER, the BMW comercials and AN EVENING WITH GARY LINEAKER?

#134 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 12:45 PM

I find this sudden surge of Adrian Paul rumors interesting, as we near the announcement of more Bond 21 details.

#135 Pal

Pal

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 377 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 02:19 PM

If I could get back to paul for a minute, around 93/94 when he was being considered for the role of Bond, the writers of his show Highlander were making several Bond references during their episodes. In one episode, he is asked who he is and he replies "Bond...James Bond". In other episodes, other characters claimed that he worked for MI-5. There were several references but I cannot remember them all. But it is interesting to know that he was seriously being considered. I personally think that he'd do just fins as Bond. He would definitely look the most like Connerey, hands down.

#136 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 03:08 PM

I find this sudden surge of Adrian Paul rumors interesting, as we near the announcement of more Bond 21 details.

I'll call it coincidence. Nothing really that is outstanding in putting any of these contenders much higher over the other.

#137 Seannery

Seannery

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 06:18 PM

I'll be waiting for the announcement and untill that time I've found it pointless to speculate and start a discussion who's better, because everybody's got his favorite for whom he/she will fight on a verbal level.

I prefer another Brosnan, but find most other candidates interesting. They are decent enough actors with good looks.

May the best win and be part of more than a half decent Bondmovie. :)

chimera01 you make a great point in saying a number of candidates look strong. Great reason and very reasonable!

#138 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 06:22 PM

I agree chimera01, nothing said her will change much of it. I hope for another Brosnan, but there are some contenders out there that seem better than others for me.

#139 Seannery

Seannery

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 06:35 PM

About Clive, he wouldn't be close to my first choice but he would be decent enough though too one-dimensionally serious for my tastes ala Dalton.  So since he is serious and grim, i'll become an executioner on death row if he is picked :)

Clive is anything but serious and grim - I guess you didn't see CHANCER, the BMW comercials and AN EVENING WITH GARY LINEAKER?

You are right Owen has a sense of humor, but to me there is a certain grimness to even that--part of his heft as an actor.

Is it Adrian Paul Destiny?

As I mentioned elsewhere SPIKE TV in the USA the home of Bond has a Bond marathon in July and coincidently SPIKE is also the home of Adrian Paul as the Highlander. Hmmmm.....is this karma, destiny or coincidence! :)

Ioan Gruffudd--What Super Hero?

Secondly Gruffudd was asked if he was being offered the role of Superman and he said no. He was then asked if he was being offered any other "super hero" roles and he said if things go right this week there will be an annoucement about that. The rumor is he is being offered Mr. Fantastic of the Fantastic Four. But what if the "super hero" role is James Bond? He is sort of a "super hero". Just a thought.

#140 Martin Mystery

Martin Mystery

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 07:01 PM

Secondly Gruffudd was asked if he was being offered the role of Superman and he said no. He was then asked if he was being offered any other "super hero" roles and he said if things go right this week there will be an annoucement about that. The rumor is he is being offered Mr. Fantastic of the Fantastic Four. But what if the "super hero" role is James Bond? He is sort of a "super hero". Just a thought.

The same thought flashed through my head when I read about Gruffudd playing a superhero. Could it be?? I hope not... :)

#141 Roebuck

Roebuck

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1870 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 09:53 PM

Secondly Gruffudd was asked if he was being offered the role of Superman and he said no. He was then asked if he was being offered any other "super hero" roles and he said if things go right this week there will be an annoucement about that. The rumor is he is being offered Mr. Fantastic of the Fantastic Four.

Yeah, a website called IESB.net started this story. The Fantastic Four movie is intended for release summer 2005. If it begins filming in August this year, as scheduled, then it's probable he'd be finished in time for the start of Bond 21. But would an actor who seriousely considered himself in line to be Brosnan's successor be actively pursuing a role in which audiences got to see him prancing around in blue spandex? Kind of puts a dent in his credability for taking on the role of the worlds smoothest secret agent.

On the other hand, X-Men didn't harm Jackman's career any.

http://www.iesb.net/.../movie62504.htm

#142 Lady M

Lady M

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 44 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 01:30 AM

Plus a Bond man needs to be extraordinarily attractive to women....

Somehow I don't think that Guffudd fits that bill, If I had to pick my top two it would be between Adrian Paul and Hugh Jackman....

LM

#143 B5Erik

B5Erik

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 465 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 01:47 AM

I still have a gut feeling that this is Roger Moore all over again.

He's out. EON says he's out, he says he's out, but at literally the last minute they work out a deal for one more Bond film for that actor.

Pierce Brosnan has been great at the box office for Eon & MGM, and he really has one more Bond film left in him.

Hugh Jackman is the best choice as a successor, and he will be perfect for the part in 2008. Whether or not he gets the role I don't know. A lot of things can happen.

I'd lay odds that Brosnan is back, and if he's not then MGM and EON offer Jackman the world to get a marketable star for Bond 21. That's my prediction and I'm sticking to it until the official announcement comes down.

#144 Seannery

Seannery

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 06:21 PM

Plus a Bond man needs to be extraordinarily attractive to women....

Somehow I don't think that Guffudd fits that bill, If I had to pick my top two it would be between Adrian Paul and Hugh Jackman....

LM

I agree with your top 2 picks Lady M. But I think Gruffudd would be good also.

Here is my order of the candidates--1.)Adrian Paul 2.)Hugh Jackman--close behind 3.)Ioan Gruffudd--still strong 4.)Clive Owen--solid but bit miscast 5.)Colin Firth--too soft for Bond

With Pierce added, I would put him ahead of Jackman but a little behind Adrian Paul.

#145 Agent 76

Agent 76

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7080 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 07:41 PM

[..]But I think Gruffudd would be good also.

Nahh he has to much curly hair :) :)

Posted Image

#146 Martin Mystery

Martin Mystery

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 08:42 PM

Secondly Gruffudd was asked if he was being offered the role of Superman and he said no.  He was then asked if he was being offered any other "super hero" roles and he said if things go right this week there will be an annoucement about that.  The rumor is he is being offered Mr. Fantastic of the Fantastic Four.  But what if the "super hero" role is James Bond?  He is sort of a "super hero".  Just a thought.

*Whew* Just found out Gruffudd is playing Mr. Fantastic.
http://www.foxnews.c...,124095,00.html

#147 Seannery

Seannery

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 09:05 PM

Well then that means the immediate announcement he was talking about wasn't about Bond. BUT that doesn't preclude him from having a future announcement to be James Bond.

#148 Seannery

Seannery

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 06:00 PM

[quote name='Martin Mystery' date='29 June 2004 - 21:42'] [quote name='Seannery' date='28 June 2004 - 18:35']Ioan Gruffudd--What Super Hero?

Secondly Gruffudd was asked if he was being offered the role of Superman and he said no.

#149 Seannery

Seannery

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3440 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 06:14 PM

I keep thinking that the possibility exists that the Bond films finding a home on SPIKE TV along with Highlander may not be a coincidence. Call this my conspiracy theory--and everyone once in a while a conspiracy theory comes true :)

Follow my logic, Eon decides on Paul and starts to connect Bond with Adrian Paul as a first step by having them on the same network. The July Bond marathon has been advertised during Highlander episodes. Interesting? Nice juxaposition! Highlander has gone from being shown once a day on SPIKE to now 3 times a day. Almost like they want to amp up the attention and exposure right before an impending announcement. It would not be impossible to have some coordination and it would benefit both parties in the long run.

Maybe not true but I think possible.

#150 Martin Mystery

Martin Mystery

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 06:28 PM

I keep thinking that the possibility exists that the Bond films finding a home on SPIKE TV along with Highlander may not be a coincidence. Call this my conspiracy theory--and everyone once in a while a conspiracy theory comes true :)

Follow my logic, Eon decides on Paul and starts to connect Bond with Adrian Paul as a first step by having them on the same network. The July Bond marathon has been advertised during Highlander episodes. Interesting? Nice juxaposition! Highlander has gone from being shown once a day on SPIKE to now 3 times a day. Almost like they want to amp up the attention and exposure right before an impending announcement. It would not be impossible to have some coordination and it would benefit both parties in the long run.

Maybe not true but I think possible.

Seannery, faaaar out! What drugs are you on, man?! :)