89 replies to this topic

#61 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 08 January 2004 - 04:28 AM

Hmmmm. I suspect Mr. Cork and Mr. Scvally had their hand in this.

-- Xen

#62 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 08 January 2004 - 05:28 AM

It will probably amuse you all to know that when I wandered over to the AMC site and took the Bond girl quiz, it said that I resemble Pam Bouvier the most.

-- Xenobia

#63 clublos

clublos

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 315 posts

Posted 08 January 2004 - 04:40 PM

It said I was Jinx.

Paul, Dr. No was shown in full screen on AMC from an old, poor transfer of the film.

#64 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 08 January 2004 - 05:46 PM

Of course I checked out Dr. No on AMC last night. I am actually glad that MGM has decided to put the movie on its own cable channel because I like what AMC does for its movies. Here's hoping that AMC put some of the Bond movies through their TV-DVD process.

On Jan. 18th AMC is putting the original "Terminator" movie through the TV-DVD process in which they add a running trivia track

#65 bryonalston

bryonalston

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1253 posts

Posted 10 January 2004 - 04:05 AM

I was just watching the first 5 minutes of Goldfinger... and Half of the pre-credit sequence was missing. To top that, the Theme song seemed like it was slowed down to make up for the time lost from the PTS. What gives?

#66 Harmsway

Harmsway

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13293 posts

Posted 10 January 2004 - 11:01 PM

I saw the Goldfinger butchering too. What AMC did is just plain inexcusable.

#67 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 10 January 2004 - 11:30 PM

Wow! I never would have thought as good a channel as AMC would do that to the Bond films!

I just checked my litsting and it seems Thunderball is on the line-up for tonight, so I may check it out to see how they're showing the film.

It's really too bad....

#68 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 12:18 AM

I took the AMC bond girl test and here's who I'm most like (quite perfect if you ask me)...

MELINA HAVELOCK
Like Electra, you always avenge your loved ones. Patient and determined, you will see a task to it's completion. An outdoors person, you like hiking and swimming -- and have been known to go skinny-dipping by the light of the moon.

#69 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 02:05 AM

:)

OK....I'm done with AMC and this marathon.

It's just after 6pm here on the west coast, and in surfing through some channels, I noticed Goldfinger was starting on AMC.

So I tune in.....

The pre-credits sequence got hacked. Bond plants the explosives on the nitro, strips out of the dry-suit into his tux, walks in the bar, lights his smoke as the explosions happen and

CUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Right into the main titles.......

Schmucks!!!!!!

The DB5 will probably be hacked out next.

Obviously the same guy who dreamed up "New Coke" in the 80's is now working for AMC's editing executives......DORKS!!!!!

*flips back to Playboy channel*

#70 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 02:08 AM

LOL Bryce! :)

#71 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 02:26 AM

I think I will just wait for the JB digital channel. Bond, James Bond. All the time.

-- Xenobia

#72 booyeah_

booyeah_

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 04:41 AM

The butchering of Goldfinger's precredits was bloody stupid. It was laughable. I didn't see what they did to my favorite movie ever, Thunderball.

#73 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 01:19 PM

God, i watched Goldfinger on Thursday, and, i didnt even notice. Shows how burned out i was

#74 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 10:11 PM

Wow! You must have been sleepy Johnboy! :)

I saw only a part of Thunderball, and didn't see anything bad, although I did miss the first parts of the film and a others.

#75 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 11:39 PM

Wow! You must have been sleepy Johnboy! :)

I saw only a part of Thunderball, and didn't see anything bad, although I did miss the first parts of the film and a others.

It wasnt sleep deprivation

#76 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 11:49 PM

Oh. I see. :)

#77 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 01:33 AM

I didn't see AMC's airing of Dr.NO but I did catch FRWL. With the exceptions that they cut when Bond garrotes Grant(though they do show him stabbing Grant)and the end credits were totally new, they did a pretty good job with it. Then they aired Goldfinger, and after seeing the savaging
of the pre-titles sequence and the slowing down of the music(?), I changed the channel. Their version of Goldfinger makes me long for the ABC version. The only thing noteworthy about AMC's Goldfinger is that, as the end credits roll, it announces that Bond will return in "On Her Majesty's Secret Service". Thunderball also seems to air unscathed. I really don't understand the reasoning behind slicing Goldfinger from :) to abdomen but. leaving FRWL & Thunderball untouched. Idiots! As Campbell says in OHMSS, "The authorities will hear about this!"

#78 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 01:45 AM

Can we not refer to abdomen slicing, thank you :)

#79 bonded56

bonded56

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 410 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 05:20 PM

When the early ABC airings of GOLDFINGER were shown, the pre-credits were omitted entirely.

#80 bonded56

bonded56

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 410 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 05:24 PM

Their promo for THUNDERBALL said it was Sean Connery's favorite Bond movie. FRWL is his favorite, but IMDB.com says THUNDERBALL was his favorite. They must've picked up their promo info at IMDB.

#81 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 08:58 PM

Dr. Shatterhands site has some very interesting information on exactly what ABC did to the Bond films if anyone is interested. :)

Quite a bit of cutting though!

#82 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 09:28 PM

Looking through the supplements on AMC's Web page, it's pretty easy to see they are enthusiastic, but not exactly Bond scholars. On the the Bond girls page, they have a picture of Claudine Auger's Domino in the Tracy section. And I was insulted to find out I compared to Jinx on that quiz thing.

And I visited the IMDB today and I think it actually said Connery thought TB was his best performance as Bond. Anybody that knows anything about him knows TB was a trying time for him.

#83 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 08:02 PM

Their promo for THUNDERBALL said it was Sean Connery's favorite Bond movie. FRWL is his favorite, but IMDB.com says THUNDERBALL was his favorite. They must've picked up their promo info at IMDB.

I thought it was Thunderball, i could have sworn i've heard him say, straigh from the horses mouth.

#84 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 08:05 PM

No, Connery was very aggravated during the long filming of that one. It must have been a tough shoot for him, after doing all of those films every year apart, basically.

#85 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 11:15 PM

Advert for AMC's "Bondathon" from Entertainment Weekly.

Attached Files

#86 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 02:33 AM

Very neat Zencat! I hadn't seen that before. Why the obvious skip over some of Roger Moore's? I still haven't found out why. :) I mean, they are there, why skip over them?

#87 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 02:38 AM

i know better than to watch bond marathons on tv anymore, if i want it done right its best to watch my dvds and just make my own marathon

#88 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 02:45 AM

Indeed Finesse! Nothing does it better than yourself! I've still to watch all 20 official and the three unoffical films in chronological order yet, I've seen them all hundreds of times each, but never in order! Now that's a resolution for me this year.

#89 Turn

Turn

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6837 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 09:18 PM

I caught parts of DAF last night after working my other job to unwind. It only wound me up. AMC is not just hacking up precredits, but entire chunks and dialogue out of scenes. A few examples:

-At the Los Angeles Airport after Felix tells Bond someone's braintrust has been sent for him he gets directly into the car. The entire "You wanna sit in the front, Mr. Franks?" conversation is omitted, as is part of the drive.
-Mr. Slumber's creepy smile at Bond as they are waiting for the diamonds to be brought in the urn in his office. They sit down and they come in almost immediately.
-When Wint and Kidd dump Bond in the trunk of their car and drive to the desert, they begina and are almost right out in the desert. Much of the drive and when they activate the door that opens into the desert are cut.
-When Bond is trapped in the pipeline, the rat approaches and they cut his whole "One of us smells like a tart's hankerchief," speech, eliminating a plot point for later in the film for those who hadn't seen it. He just looks at the rat and it scurries away as the welder comes through.

I guess it could be argued chopping little things are better than whole scenes, but it doesn't end there. The print wasn't exactly pristine, and looked much better on Spike and the sound wasn't exactly great either. Makes me that much more thankful for the DVDs.

And speaking of Spike TV, the chief complaint there was the barrage of commercials. As I said, I didn't watch DAF the whole way through, but every few minutes I would flip back and there always seemed to be a commercial on.

It's a lazy way to show a film, especially for a channel that once had a nice reputation. I guess they need more money from those interesting pet medicine and life insurance commercials they now run every 10 minutes. They make Spike TV sound better. It reassures me that Turner Classic Movies would make a much better network for this type of film.

#90 TheSaint

TheSaint

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3067 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 12:10 AM

Commercials notwithstanding, SpikeTV does a better job airing the Bond films. Turner Classic would be a perfect venue for the Bond films.