89 replies to this topic

#1 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 30 December 2003 - 10:12 PM

Forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere, but is it true that AMC is running Bond movies in January? I got a peek at the new TV Guide and they were indeed advertising them...I just thought Spike TV had the rights to them...

#2 Triton

Triton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2056 posts

Posted 30 December 2003 - 10:40 PM

According to the AMC web site, they are playing Dr. No through Live and Let Die throughout the month of January 2004. I cannot keep track of who owns the television rights to the films anymore. It used to be easy when they belonged to Ted Turner and were shown on WTBS.

#3 AgentHMO

AgentHMO

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 30 December 2003 - 10:45 PM

We're getting spoiled here. Between Spike and AMC, we've gotten about two weeks worth of Bond flicks.

I think AMC does have the slight edge though over Spike; they show ads, but not to the point where Dr. No gets bloated to three hours.

#4 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 30 December 2003 - 10:48 PM

Ah, they skipped OHMSS. Why, oh why, am I not surprised?

#5 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 30 December 2003 - 11:39 PM

Well MGM is part owner of AMC

#6 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 12:17 AM

Originally posted by ChandlerBing
Ah, they skipped OHMSS.  Why, oh why, am I not surprised?

Ah, I can't understand why they pass over one of the very best of the series!

I remember when ABC was showing the Bond films, and they were fretting over how they would fit the long 2 hours and 22 minutes OHMSS into a time slot....here's an idea...suck it up and skip a few commericals for once!

Now why do I think of SPIKE TV? :)

#7 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 12:18 AM

AMC is such a better channel...

...I know that there used to be this thing were certain channels had the rights to certain shows. But I don't think it's limited to ONE station... I think the rights can be sold to as many stations and the own would like becasue when SPIKE was showing there Thanksgiving Bond marathon... USA was showing GoldenEye. And this only could be possible if the right's rules have changed.

#8 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 12:20 AM

Originally posted by Athena007
AMC is such a better channel...

SPIKE was showing there Thanksgiving Bond marathon... USA was showing GoldenEye. And this only could be possible if the right's rules have changed.

Well, I may be wrong, but I don't think TBS or SPIKE have owned the TV rights to GoldenEye. I think GoldenEye has only ever been on NBC and USA for US television.

Too, too many channels for the Bond films....AMC, ABC, TBS, NBC, CBS, USA, SPIKE.....:)

#9 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 12:26 AM

Originally posted by Qwerty
Well, I may be wrong, but I don't think TBS or SPIKE have owned the TV rights to GoldenEye. I think GoldenEye has only ever been on NBC and USA for US television. Too, too many channels for the Bond films....AMC, ABC, TBS, NBC, CBS, USA, SPIKE.....:)

Hum, that's odd... so on Thanksgiving SPIKE didn't have GE in their marathon? (I obviously wasn't watching, the ads would have caused a malfunction in the Bond-lobe in my brain)

I believe TBS and SPIKE now one and the same now.

#10 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 12:30 AM

Hum, that's odd... so on Thanksgiving SPIKE didn't have GE in their marathon? (I obviously wasn't watching, the ads would have caused a malfunction in the Bond-lobe in my brain)

I believe TBS and SPIKE now one and the same now.

I don't think so Athena. I must say, I enjoyed the Bond marathons much more on TBS "15 days of 007" more than SPIKE's now, and TBS still own the rights to AVTAK and LTK.

#11 Triton

Triton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2056 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 12:35 AM

Hardly surprising that AMC has chosen not to show the black sheep of the James Bond series. I don't know if it's much of a ratings success with most casual James Bond viewers. It's ending certainly is a downer, and not upbeat like the rest of the series.

Plus George Lazenby is often forgetton when non-fans discuss actors who have played James Bond. Most frequently, these people have On Her Majesty's Secret Service listed between Diamonds Are Forever and Live and Let Die as well.

Could the program director at AMC have forgotten about On Her Majesty's Secret Service?

#12 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 12:35 AM

I don't think so Athena. I must say, I enjoyed the Bond marathons much more on TBS "15 days of 007" more than SPIKE's now, and TBS still own the rights to AVTAK and LTK.

ooops, my mistake it's TNN that became SPIKE. I always get TBS and TNN mixes up for some reason :)

#13 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 12:37 AM

Originally posted by Triton
Hardly surprising that AMC has chosen not to show the black sheep of the James Bond series. I don't know if it's much of a ratings success with most casual James Bond viewers. It's ending certainly is a downer, and not upbeat like the rest of the series.

Plus George Lazenby is often forgetton when non-fans discuss actors who have played James Bond.  Most frequently, these people have On Her Majesty's Secret Service listed between Diamonds Are Forever and Live and Let Die as well.

Could the program director at AMC have forgotten about On Her Majesty's Secret Service?

Well, I'm not sure, but I'm betting it's just because it's more difficult than any other Bond film to fit into time slots, you know how TV stations just has to have all those commercials and what better a time, than during a Bond film? :)

#14 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 12:39 AM

ooops, my mistake it's TNN that became SPIKE. I always get TBS and TNN mixes up for some reason :)

That's fine. With all the channels that air the Bond films in the US, it's hard not to get mixed up! I think USA only owns GE.

#15 Triton

Triton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2056 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 12:45 AM

Well, I'm not sure, but I'm betting it's just because it's more difficult than any other Bond film to fit into time slots, you know how TV stations just has to have all those commercials and what better a time, than during a Bond film? :)

That's very possible considering that AMC is no longer commercial free.

#16 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 12:52 AM

Originally posted by Triton

That's very possible considering that AMC is no longer commercial free.

Oh yes, I forgot about that! I haven't watched AMC in a while! OHMSS has always caused a headache for TV stations because of it's unusual length, they just can't stomach the idea that they may have to cut a few commericla, so they just make the time slot longer, very frustrating to watch indeed.

#17 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 02:54 AM

Yes AMC does have commercials but at least they are not as frequent as on Spike TV.

#18 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 03:21 AM

Originally posted by DLibrasnow
Yes AMC does have commercials but at least they are not as frequent as on Spike TV.

Indeed, I don't think any other TV station has more than SPIKE! :)

It will be nice to see them on a different station.

#19 Johnboy007

Johnboy007

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 05:03 AM

I love AMC, i remember taping "Predator" two years ago, and there being only one tiny commercial break, makes taping easier.

#20 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 05:30 AM

There seems to be times during the day when AMC does not have commercials.

#21 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 05:32 AM

Take a look at D's new avatar!!!!!!!! :)

#22 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 05:37 AM

Pretty cool huh.....thanks go out to Mr * for putting that together for me! :)

#23 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 05:39 AM

Yes, very Bondian looking! Very stylish and sophisticated!

#24 Athena007

Athena007

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12936 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 06:47 AM

::jealous::

:)

#25 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 02:05 PM

**hugs**

#26 B007GLE

B007GLE

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 04:21 PM

I've been watching the 007 Days of X-mas on Spike and yes the commercials are annoying but I'd rather have non-stop (except for the commercials) Bond films for 007 days than some crappy movie with the same number of commercials.

The Spike showings are like "muzak" Bond experiences. You put it on tinker around the house and when Bond and Peter Franks fight in the elevator you sit down and watch and then get up again and tinker.

I'd never think fo doing that wehn I put on a Bond DVD which more akin to a (dare I say it?) religious experience.

#27 homerjbond

homerjbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 12:57 PM

Will any of the Bonds be edited on AMC? Spike have advertised their Bond movies as "uncut" - it would be a shame to see AMC trim something out for "questionable" content or to have it run in a certain time.

#28 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 01:30 PM

Will any of the Bonds be edited on AMC? Spike have advertised their Bond movies as "uncut" - it would be a shame to see AMC trim something out for "questionable" content or to have it run in a certain time.

I doubt the 007 movies will be cut on AMC. I have not noticed AMC ever cutting a movie to fit it into a certain time slot.

#29 Qwerty

Qwerty

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 85605 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 05:45 PM

No, I don't think they edit them anymore. They just post a lot of parental warnings though! :) (At least, that's what ABC did a year or two ago)

#30 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 02 January 2004 - 05:50 PM

Of all the channels AMC has to be one of the best because they really have very few commercials...It's not like Spike TV which seems to have more commercials than programming!