66 replies to this topic

#31 Roebuck

Roebuck

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1870 posts

Posted 17 February 2002 - 11:29 AM

When I saw my first Bond Id never heard of Connery. I went because Moore was my big TV hero. He can do no wrong in my estimation - providing you ignore that stupid fire truck sequence in AVTAK.

#32 JAWS

JAWS

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 25 January 2002 - 12:44 AM

Roger Moore is with out any doubt in my mind whatsoever the best interpretation of James Bond. Just watch him in TMWTGG, TSWLM, Moonraker or Octopussy!
The very first Bond film I ever saw was LALD, but I didn't Like it. The Second Bond film I saw was Dr. No and I liked it much better. But the THIRD Bond film I saw was Moonraker. From then on, I was hooked on Roger Moore's Bond.
Also, I agree that Brosnan is overrated, as well as Lazenby and Dalton. Connery's definietly my second favorite.
I even like AVTAK (sad, aren't I?). The first time I saw it, I thought it was teriffic, but now, older, I can see that the series was dangerously running low on steam and that TLD saved it.

#33 JAWS

JAWS

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 25 January 2002 - 12:42 AM

Roger Moore is with out any doubt in my mind whatsoever the best interpretation of James Bond. Just watch him in TMWTGG, TSWLM, Moonraker or Octopussy!
The very first Bond film I ever saw was LALD, but I didn't Like it. The Second Bond film I saw was Dr. No and I liked it much better. But the THIRD Bond film I saw was Moonraker. From then on, I was hooked on Roger Moore's Bond.
Also, I agree that Brosnan is overrated, as well as Lazenby and Dalton. Connery's definietly my second favorite.
I even like AVTAK (sad, aren't I?). The first time I saw it, I thought it was teriffic, but now, older, I can see that the series was dangerously running low on steam and that TLD saved it.

#34 Rolex

Rolex

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 448 posts

Posted 17 October 2001 - 04:29 PM

LALD is my favorite Roger Moore Bond film. It was a transitional time for Bond the writers were penning it i believe for Sean Connery and had to make changes to fit Roger's character. It is probably his most underrated film / acting performance to date It is probably this most socially politically aware Bond film of all. Black activism was at its height, Black Panther group, Black athletes giving black power salutes at the 72 Olympics, gritty black cops such as Shaft exposing white racism etc.
In steps Roger to play Bond with charm that only he could get away when kissing a black girl (First for Bond) and within a couple of scenes pointing a gun at her head after he had his wicked way. It was a polished performance under a lot of pressure for not only had the movie world was convinced that Bond is not Sean Connery, but also Bond’s character had changed from a upper class super hero to a great spy that could use self defaming humor as a weapon.

#35 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 17 October 2001 - 05:30 PM

Sorry, but Roger is currently my least favourite Bond. However that is almost like saying, "You know, my least favourite way to reach orgasm is...". I love the early Roger. Live And Let Die was when I think Roger was at his best. And I also must apologise for thinking The Man With The Golden Gun was fantastic. But on the other hand I cannot watch Octopussy. I have seen every other Bond film--save Moonraker--scores of times, but I have never been able to force my self to watch all of Octopussy. (Does anybody think it's a good idea to stealthily sneak in to the enemy compound using a giant hot-air balloon blazon with the Union Jack?)

Once Roger made Bond 'his own' he made him not mine. I however don't blame Roger. The producers and directors let Roger inject his own humour to the role as they should have but they didn't need to help. I didn't mind James Bond with Roger's sense of humour so much; I minded James Bond movies having Roger's sense of humour.

Roger should get a lot of credit, though. As much as I like Dalton, he never could carry the franchise.

#36 scaramanga

scaramanga

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPip
  • 1089 posts

Posted 02 November 2001 - 11:55 AM

I was brought up on the Roger Moore era of James Bond and I used to worship him. Still do, but know I am unbiased towards actors. However, it has to be said that Roger Moore contributed 3 of the best films of the Bond series: The Spy Who Loved Me, For Your Eyes Only and Octopussy.

#37 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 05:22 PM

FAVORITE ROGER MOORE MOVIES

1) The Spy Who Loved Me (Barbara Bach - yummy :)
2) For Your Eyes Only (nice back to basics adventure)
3) A View to a Kill (interesting plot, wonderful villain and great soundtrack)
4) Live and Let Die (decent villain, great title track)
5) Octopussy (disjointed, but still a lot of fun, some shaky production values)
6) The Man with the Golden Gun (Nick Nack as a threat - yeah whatever)
7) Moonraker (the Richard Keil romantic drama)

#38 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 06:33 PM

hes my fav thats for sure

#39 rogermoore007

rogermoore007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 07:46 PM

Originally posted by zencat
You know, I'm really getting tired of old guard Bond fans who pretty much feel the Bond films ended at OHMSS and "dis" the entire Roger Moore era. I'm won't say who these people are, but lets just say in the long history of 007 MAGAZINE Roger has appeared on the cover...once. Even during the Roger Moore era!

Well, guess what? I think Roger Moore was a great Bond and his movies were every bit a good (in their own way) as the Connery or current films. I'll go a step further. I think THE SPY WHO LOVED ME is right beside GOLDFINGER as the BEST film in the series...I'd rather watch MOONRAKER than THUNDERBALL any day...And I think OCTOPUSSY is one of the best Bond movies of the whole batch. Frankly, Roger Moore was just plain cool.

Whenever I'm at a Bond event I freely admit to being a fan of Roger and I always find I'm not alone. I even find a few brave soles who'll admit to liking MOONRAKER.

Roger fans, stop being ashamed! There are more (Moore?) of us than we think. I say it is time for us to rise up and cry, "Sit-taaa"!

This is truth--I am a huge Roger fan--I especially agree with TSWLM contending with GF and MR over TB--I however think TMWTGG was the best bond movie of the series and have watched it 35 times--I think all of Roger's films were great --I AM NOT ASHAMED---He had looks, humour, strength and all the english gentleman qualities that bond is supposed to have--NOBODY EVER DID IT BETTER

ROGER FANS UNITE WITH RAISED EYEBROWS----SIT-TAAA!!!!!!!

#40 License To Kill

License To Kill

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1556 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 08:23 PM

Originally posted by zencat
You know, I'm really getting tired of old guard Bond fans who pretty much feel the Bond films ended at OHMSS and "dis" the entire Roger Moore era. I'm won't say who these people are, but lets just say in the long history of 007 MAGAZINE Roger has appeared on the cover...once. Even during the Roger Moore era!

Well, guess what? I think Roger Moore was a great Bond and his movies were every bit a good (in their own way) as the Connery or current films. I'll go a step further. I think THE SPY WHO LOVED ME is right beside GOLDFINGER as the BEST film in the series...I'd rather watch MOONRAKER than THUNDERBALL any day...And I think OCTOPUSSY is one of the best Bond movies of the whole batch. Frankly, Roger Moore was just plain cool.

Whenever I'm at a Bond event I freely admit to being a fan of Roger and I always find I'm not alone. I even find a few brave soles who'll admit to liking MOONRAKER.

Roger fans, stop being ashamed! There are more (Moore?) of us than we think. I say it is time for us to rise up and cry, "Sit-taaa"!

100% correct, Zen (as usual). Roger is by far the most charismatic Bond. No other actor could have preformed for 12 years in the same role, especially that those 12 years were during a very troubling time, the 1970's. Roger, by far, better than Sean Connery. Sorry to say it.

~LTK~

#41 SirMiles83

SirMiles83

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 363 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 08:31 PM

Here's another Moore fan for you. I think that Moore's period of films were the best done by any Bond actor. MR, and AVTAK (weaker ones) weren't hurt at all by Roger's performance, but rather many other things. He stayed strong throughout his run. Which is more than I can say for Connery, he fizzled out by the time of YOLT. But don't get me wrong, I think Sean in GF, FRWL, and TB played the best Bond, but overall, I enjoy Roger's films much more. In fact Octopussy is my favorite Bond film of all time.

#42 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 08:38 PM

Roger Moore is my favorite Bond. I love most of his Bond movies, 'Live and Let Die' is my favorite of all-time.

#43 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 09:42 PM

Roger is James Bond!!! really everyone falls way behind him!!

The creator of the books picked Roger at first! Whats does that tell everyone..:)

* personally I think Roger is the best.. BUT if they gave Dalton a chance he would have been the best.. if they let him do 3 or 4 movies!.. BUT they didn't so it is not fair to say after 2 he is the best..

Roger is the only one that made his OWN idea for the role..

It looks liek Sean is sean..he never changes in any part.. he just mumbles his way through everything (except Indy 3)

then George is a rip off of the sean feel.. so is Pierce..he is a total groupie to sean! I mean come on!! think up something on your own??????!!!!!!!

When Pierce said "Nazi" the same exact way Sean said it in Goldfinger.. I knew pierce was a total loser hack.. groupie!!

don't get rid of dalton.. for a loser like pierce? who can't even carry a Bond Movie on his own!

They need the women to help him carry the movie!? how sad huh.. they are NOT James Bond Movies.. THEY are Remington Steele Movies:rolleyes:

LOL:D

He is such a groupie to sean.. what a loser.. with NO talent.

Roger brought acting to the role!! smarts!!! Dalton followed that and put his mark on it.. (the novels) which was new and great!

what does pierce bring? NOTHING.. you dont get KNOWN actresses to play bond girls!? They do this because he can't act!

#44 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 09:54 PM

Originally posted by License To Kill

100% correct, Zen (as usual). Roger is by far the most charismatic Bond. No other actor could have preformed for 12 years in the same role, especially that those 12 years were during a very troubling time, the 1970's. Roger, by far, better than Sean Connery. Sorry to say it.

~LTK~

YES, I feel all this positive Roger Moore energy flowing through this thread and it pumps me up to battle those pro-Brosnan folk. They owe Roger so much, if it wasn't for Rogers dedication to the role then Pierce would never have had his shot.
ROCK ON PEOPLE!!! Roger Moore is the best 007 ever!

#45 rogermoore007

rogermoore007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 11:23 PM

Roger is the best bond, but there's no reason to knock Pierce--He is a combo of Sean and Roger but has his own twists as every bond does--For me, Brosnan comes second only to Rog

#46 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 01:41 AM

Originally posted by rogermoore007
Roger is the best bond, but there's no reason to knock Pierce--He is a combo of Sean and Roger but has his own twists as every bond does--For me, Brosnan comes second only to Rog

I respect that.
I am just tired of the Brosnan folk knocking Roger. I'm p*ssed off about it and I am not taking it anymore. Bring it on.
Those people don't realize that if it were not for Roger, Pierce would still be making supporting roles in other actors vehicles (Mrs. Doubtfire) or second rate TV movies ('Murder 101' and 'Raw Heat' - okay I know that's not the original title). Roger kept the series alive so Pierce could have a crack at it.

#47 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 02:12 AM

It's insane for Brosnan folk to knock Roger Moore. For God's sake...it's because of a Roger Moore movie that Brosnan even got the chance to be Bond!

I think a lot of Brosnan's smart humor comes from RM, and I, for one, would like to see Brosnan take the shot at playing the older, wiser, Bond that Moore did in FYEO and in some moments of AVTAK.

And one more note to those Brosnan fans who think it is OK to take shots at Roger....the only autograph Pierce Brosnan owns is from Roger Moore.

-- Xenobia

#48 License To Kill

License To Kill

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1556 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 02:22 AM

Originally posted by DLibrasnow

YES, I feel all this positive Roger Moore energy flowing through this thread and it pumps me up to battle those pro-Brosnan folk. They owe Roger so much, if it wasn't for Rogers dedication to the role then Pierce would never have had his shot.

LOL, I think that is the first time me and DLibra actually agreed on something :-). Yay!

~LTK~

#49 goldengun

goldengun

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 209 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 12:51 PM

This thread is very heart-warming, I love these posts so much. I think today I will try to send one email that includes a Moore reference, give one one-liner to shock and amaze a colleague and even pass off one rising eye-brow to any one of the chicks I work with.

Also, while Brosnan pays heavy tribute to Sean, I don't hear him say much about Roger. Which is a shame, since I really feel that Pierce loves to copy all of Roger's moves.

ON a side-note -> EA Sports should really make a James Bond video game where I can replace the face of the character with Roger's face.

I have played Nightfire and Agent Under Fire, both need a Roger Moore.

#50 rogermoore007

rogermoore007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 07:29 PM

I respect that.  
I am just tired of the Brosnan folk knocking Roger. I'm p*ssed off about it and I am not taking it anymore. Bring it on.  
Those people don't realize that if it were not for Roger, Pierce would still be making supporting roles in other actors vehicles (Mrs. Doubtfire) or second rate TV movies ('Murder 101' and 'Raw Heat' - okay I know that's not the original title). Roger kept the series alive so Pierce could have a crack at it.

I agree--you are right that some don't realize that Rog paved the way for Pierce--I think it might be some of the younger fans that love Brosnan, although that's probly wrong because I'm 15 and I'm a Roger disciple--I don't think thatany bond actor should be knocked just because the person is the fan of another or is simply not familiar with who he/she is talking about

#51 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 07:47 PM

Originally posted by Xenobia
It's insane for Brosnan folk to knock Roger Moore. For God's sake...it's because of a Roger Moore movie that Brosnan even got the chance to be Bond!

I think a lot of Brosnan's smart humor comes from RM, and I, for one, would like to see Brosnan take the shot at playing the older, wiser, Bond that Moore did in FYEO and in some moments of AVTAK.

And one more note to those Brosnan fans who think it is OK to take shots at Roger....the only autograph Pierce Brosnan owns is from Roger Moore.

-- Xenobia

From all reports, Sean Connery, Roger Moore, Tim Dalton and Pierce Brosnan all get along famously - the battle between Roger and Sean was purely a media invention since both of them used to hang out together in the early 60s. I thought it was great to see Sean, Roger and Micheal Caine on stage together at the Oscars in the 1980s -- does anyone recall the year? Caine and Connery were on stage, and in walks Roger Moore (sporting a beard)

Caine: Who are you?
Moore: My name's Bond, James Bond!
Caine: You're not Bond, he's Bond (gesturing to Connery)
Moore: Oh, really?!
Connery: Yeah.
(pause)
Caine: I know who it is, it's David Putnam!

I thought that was a classic Oscars moment! :)

#52 rogermoore007

rogermoore007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 08:00 PM

I saw that on a tape that my father has of that year's Oscars--He is a movie freak and tapes all the Oscars that he can--Anyway, what a great Bond moment!!!

#53 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 01:48 AM

I saw that on a tape that my father has of that year's Oscars--He is a movie freak and tapes all the Oscars that he can--Anyway, what a great Bond moment!!!

Do you happen to know which year that was?

#54 RayBros007

RayBros007

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 200 posts
  • Location:Jacksonville FL! Home of SuperBowl Thirty-something...

Posted 30 April 2003 - 03:46 AM

Well...I absolutely LOVE Roger Moore AND Pierce Brosnan... They're BOTH #1 in my book... There is absolutely NO WAY I can choose one ever the other... Sure I can choose SC over GL or TD over SC at times... I could even choose TD over PB (although it's very very rare...practically non-exsistent)

But if you were to ask me who my number one Bond is, I'd go babbling on incessantly about how Roger Moore and Pierce Brosnan are both great;)

My father thinks I'm insane for liking Moore as Bond then I say "I think youre crazy for NOT likin him... There now were both even... ;)" ... I even like Moore more than Connery! How's that coming from a 15 year old!

#55 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 05:43 AM

If I had to pick 2...

Moore & Dalton :)

#56 rogermoore007

rogermoore007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 07:25 PM

Do you happen to know which year that was?

I know Caine or Connery won an oscar that year, so it would be 1986 (when Caine won) or 1987 (when Connery won)

#57 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 08:09 PM

I know Caine or Connery won an oscar that year, so it would be 1986 (when Caine won) or 1987 (when Connery won)

does anyone know is ANY of the DVD's show the clip of Roger giving Cubby his oscar? in I think 1981-ish??

#58 rogermoore007

rogermoore007

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 08:16 PM

Was it 1981 when roger, sean and mike were on stage together????----cause I thought it was later when Caine or Connery won

#59 4 Ur Eyez Only

4 Ur Eyez Only

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 08:20 PM

yeah you right! maybe it was mid 80's.. 1986ish? hmmm...

I HOPE or wish they showed that footage on atleast on of the dvd's :)

did they I haven't gotten them all yet

#60 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 12:32 AM

Cubby received the Oscar in 1982. I know it was the late 1980s when Roger, Sean and Michael Caine were on stage together - my guess is 1987.