This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Some harsh criticism of CBN. Is it true?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
78 replies to this topic

#61 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 01:36 PM

Originally posted by Dr Niles Crane
And boys, we ain't like werewolves...

I don't know. I've seen some pretty strange things happen to a woman under a full moon. :)

Originally posted by Dr Niles Crane
I like the fact that CBN ain't free speech Nazis who censor stuff and that if you hate it, or like it, but want to take the mickey out of it, you can and that rocks big time

Yep. :)

#62 sausagebrigade

sausagebrigade

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 56 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 04:02 PM

Hmm...after reading all the posts in this thread, I notice that a few people have some of the same views as me.

For one, I also feel like I am being ignored because I am a relative newbie. On several occasions, for instance, I have posted valid pieces of information that have been totally overlooked. And on others, when I have started a thread, it has often taken a lot of effort to get others to notice it. It is for those reasons that I am not a frequent poster.

I will say that I enjoy reading many of the threads on this site, and overall their seems to be a better level of politeness than on the board I am most frequently on, the Universal Exports MI6 Debriefing Room, which I notice seems also to have been overlooked...

#63 Hardyboy

Hardyboy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 472 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 05:06 PM

Here's an update--the two AJB users who posted their complaints went overboard and began posting pointless topics about how they're being censored and ignored and yadda yadda yadda, and so they're now gone. The AJB administrators are convinced that these two are really just troublemakers and had no intention of making honest and well-reasoned criticism. So God's in his heaven, all's right with the world. (For now.)

#64 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 05:44 PM

Thanks for the update Hardyboy. Glad to know the two parties involved got shipped off to Shrublands.

I've been following this thread and decided to keep myself out of it and let the members speak.

What's been great about this topic and the following discussions/posts is that while there are some problems - we all seem to agree what they are.

As someone above put it - there will never be problem free forums. If there ever are, it's going to pretty damn dull around here;)

I will comment on one issue - New members who feel they're being overlooked. Don't beat yourself up because you don't get any responses or only a few. What's important is that you posted and always check the "views" numbers. I've seen quite a few posts that receive no replies but are viewed well into the hundreds.

I don't believe anyone who posts a new thread or replies to one here at CBn (or AJB and MI6) is ever truly ignored.

If you feel differently, that's your view. Reagrdless of your post number, a good response is a good response whether you agree or disagree with the topic or thread. It's about quality (which we happily seem to have an abundance of) in the Bond forums, not quantity.

And cheers to AJB for your support and continued great work on both your site and your forums. It's always nice to have allies or even "friends in low places";)

Thanks for the feedback and believe me when I say it hasn't gone un-noticed by the Staff:D

#65 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 06:00 PM

I just want to add that I have had scores and scores of posts that seemingly go unnoticed. And plenty of threads that just did not catch on as a topic of conversation. Please, don’t think that because nobody directly replies to your post that they aren’t being read and cared about by at least some.

And thanks to everyone for your comments.

#66 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 08:11 PM

Yeah, topics are like film releases, sometimes one catches fire and does a lot of business, sometimes they do moderate business and sometimes they don't do anything at all. It's all luck of the draw, just keep on posting.

#67 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 08:14 PM

Originally posted by Righty007
Simon, these are the kinds of posts that give CBn a bad reputation.

Bless him, he is still forgiven.

#68 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 08:33 PM

Interesting that people want to have their contributions noticed here; perhaps that says something about the quality of the forums, that folk want to contribute, and be seen to contribute. Surely that's reassuring to those who run the forums? (fora?)

This isn't a comparative comment about - because I can't comment about - other boards - I'm too lazy to look/join.

Personally, I just shove me dung out there and sometimes it's sticky and then sometimes it isnae, like diarroeah off a doorknob. Either way, dum de dum.

#69 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 08:49 PM

Sticky or no sticky (and how diarrhea gets on a doorknob is a question I just don't want answered), trust me Jim, the things you say sticks with the people you want them to stick with.

-- Xenobia

#70 Roebuck

Roebuck

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1870 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 09:57 PM

Originally posted by sausagebrigade
On several occasions, for instance, I have posted valid pieces of information that have been totally overlooked. And on others, when I have started a thread, it has often taken a lot of effort to get others to notice it. It is for those reasons that I am not a frequent poster.

Let me share something with you sausagebrigade. A few months before the release of DAD I posted some rumours about the film that hadn't made it on to the forum yet. Nothing earth shattering but fairly accurate as it turned out.

The response? Tepid to say the least.
A week later another new guy posted much the same stuff and people were all over him like the second coming.
Was I bent out of shape about it? Nope. Cos it don't mean everyone hates your guts. It's just the way it crumbles sometimes... cookie wise. Don't let it put you off.

#71 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 01:05 AM

Sometimes the people here treat me like **** by posting negative stuff about me or to me. When I retaliate, I get yelled at by a SM and then I go on and look stupid. These days I still get treated like **** but I ignore it. I still continue to come here because there are a few people who respect me.

#72 Dr Niles Crane

Dr Niles Crane

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 464 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 01:27 AM

Love it Zen

Hooooowwwwwl:

Dr Niles loves being compared to tidal shifts - a woman is like refrigerator, a woman is like a beer, a woman is like a tidal shift - periodically affected my random alignments of the planets.......

forus
foris
fori
forus
fore

fora
forum
foribus
fora
foribus

Not too sure... Don't know which declension forum is, all I remember is Marcus, Sextus and the canis sub arbore - sounds like one of those nasty third declension ones that have no gender.

But ad rem - the web is probably even more a complicated form of communication than speaking. Adhuc subsiudice lis est - No verbal cues and try being computer illiterate. What is Net ettiquette, do you know who you are talking to, are they black, white, little person, WASP, intersex, gay, female, 75 or a virgin? Do they care about your point of view or is it end of semester and they are writing six assignments that they should have done six months ago, have they lost their email account because they haven't paid the bill, have they moved, have they died, et peut-etre je pense qu'est il y a les persons qui a une problem pas que ce damnatio quod non intelligunt, mai je suis aussi un fou et je sais rien...

How do we tell who these people are, what they will accept, what will make steam emerge from their ears - all we have are the signatures and their words -

And guys can we please get some more of those little pictures for people, cos who doesn't use that one of Pierce Aming the gun?

just a thought to ponder

#73 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 23 July 2003 - 01:45 AM

Like the good folks over at AJB who have suggested that their own thread has run its course, it would appear that enough has already been discussed here on the original subject, which was really a minor one at that.

If no one has any objections this thread will be closed shortly so we all can concentrate on other subjects.
:)

#74 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 01:51 AM

So, as Roger Moore said, "Speak now or forever hold your piece."

#75 Bond111

Bond111

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2667 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 01:53 AM

I have nothing else to say, BC, well, except for this post, of course.

#76 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 23 July 2003 - 02:01 AM

Originally posted by zencat
So, as Roger Moore said, "Speak now or forever hold your piece."

Darn it! Wished I thought of that line. :)

#77 Icephoenix

Icephoenix

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3144 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 02:13 AM

I'd just like to say hello to Xenia, welcome to CBn :) I share your feelings exactly.

#78 Bryce (003)

Bryce (003)

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10110 posts

Posted 23 July 2003 - 02:25 AM

And to all a good night.

"Goodnight? Goodnight?"

"Goodnight Sir."

#79 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007