This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Some harsh criticism of CBN. Is it true?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
78 replies to this topic

#31 Bond111

Bond111

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2667 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 02:40 AM

I too have noticed that there have been many replies to seemingly irrelevant threads and not many replies to the good ones. But perhaps there will be more to talk about once Bond 21 news starts coming out.

#32 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts
  • Location:Was on Saturn, now back in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Posted 21 July 2003 - 02:48 AM

I think there's a bit of racism here. And I think it's Bullcrap. Comments along the lines of "Bond should never be played by an American." (and others)

Where a Bond movie actor, director, writer etc comes from I never think about.

#33 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 03:09 AM

Originally posted by Dr. Tynan
I think there's a bit of racism here. And I think it's Bullcrap. Comments along the lines of "Bond should never be played by an American." (and others)

Where a Bond movie actor, director, writer etc comes from I never think about.

That actually sounds like it could be an interesting thread, Dr. Tynan.

#34 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts
  • Location:Was on Saturn, now back in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Posted 21 July 2003 - 03:13 AM

Cheers.

When I was a kid and my pal and I used to watch the Bonds incessantly we never cared where someone came from.

#35 1q2w3e4r

1q2w3e4r

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 03:14 AM

Phht. Seriously, you can't please everyone.

The forums are fine. Some good real topic discussing threads have been lacking lately. But all in all there the best forums around. Plus who doesn't scan the new posts for a mention of something or other from Jim??

#36 Hardyboy

Hardyboy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 472 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 04:05 AM

Just want to pop in as the representative AJB moderator and say that the AJB thread that got this discussion started is a pretty minor one, and that pretty much everyone who responded to it told the two complainers to lay off. We're all Bond fans, we all have the same interests at heart, and no one is trying to put any other site out of business. Peace.

#37 DanMan

DanMan

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2009 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 04:30 AM

Thanks Hardyboy.

I love CBN. There's a real sense of family here. It's the only place where I could discuss Bond with other fans.

Originally posted by zencat
Being one of the older members of CBN, I, of course, feel the sting of this criticism a bit more than most.

Don't worry Zencat. If it weren't for posters like you, this place wouldn't be half as exciting.

#38 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 21 July 2003 - 04:30 AM

Hey, good to hear from you Hardyboy. :)

We realise that the thread concerned is a minor one in the whole scheme of things.

It's good though that CBn look inwards occasionally and have our members, and everyone else for that matter, have a say about what we do or don't do.

We also appreciate the many good comments that 99.9% of the AJB members have to say about us in that thread, and while I shouldn't presume what our members think I'm sure they think likewise of AJB.

Thanks for your comments Hardyboy. :)

Cheers.

#39 Hardyboy

Hardyboy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 472 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 05:24 AM

No problem, BC, and thanks for the good words, DanMan. Trust me: AJB frequently looks inward as well (and have you ever checked out some of the things our users have said about US? Yeesh!), and none of the people responsible for running the site feel like we're competing with other sites. Heck, after what MGM put all of us through last year, we feel nothing but brotherly love for our fellow "unofficial" sites!

#40 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 05:27 AM

Originally posted by Hardyboy
Just want to pop in as the representative AJB moderator and say that the AJB thread that got this discussion started is a pretty minor one, and that pretty much everyone who responded to it told the two complainers to lay off.  We're all Bond fans, we all have the same interests at heart, and no one is trying to put any other site out of business.  Peace.

You are absolutely right, Hardyboy, and I was very happy to see how many AJBers came to our defense. This thread really isn't about what was said on AJB by the two posters. (But in my work experience, if you get the same note from more than two people, you need to take it seriously.) I wanted to use their criticism to open the door to more constructive criticism. The whole point of CBN -- and all good internet forums -- is for people to be able to express themselves freely, even if that expression is critical.

Originally posted by DanMan
Don't worry Zencat. If it weren't for posters like you, this place wouldn't be half as exciting.

Thank you, DanMan. :)

#41 scaramanga1

scaramanga1

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 05:03 PM

I just want to say, that as a mod over at AJB, I thought freak's and DKNY's words about CBN were terrible. I know I don't come here as often as I should, but a lot of that is not down to not liking CBN -because I do -I think its a great site. I am usually very busy over at AJB so my time here is very little. But everytime I've been here, I have felt welcomed, and have found most of its members very friendly. The James Bond community is huge and full of like-minded people - So on behalf of AJB I just want to say it is only these two sad individuals that have had the audacity to be so rude, and that AJB will always look upon CBN as a great ally and friend, and do not condone or agree with their opinions. :)

#42 Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come

Discharged

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3572 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 05:40 PM

Sorry folks have only read 2 of these posts - but what those 2 have said, sounds about right to me, I'm sorry to say.

#43 Double-Oh-Zero

Double-Oh-Zero

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3167 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 05:42 PM

Personally, I have never had any sort of problem with the CBn Forums. Ever since I joined waaay back on Christmas Eve of 2001, I've always felt welcome and friendly with many of the members, and that it's a great place to have relaxed, interesting conversations with fellow Bond fans. I speak to many of them via Messenger occasionally, and they're all down to earth and the staffers are helpful if I have any specific questions about the boards or CBn. The only real problems are the one that Dr.T mentioned about some threads getting more attention and posts than others (which are more interesting and deserving of attention), and the occasional member or two who can't admit when they're wrong or back down. I have noticed a hint of negativity lately, but it may just be because of the growing members list, and the diverse personalities. Still, some people should learn to lighten up. That being said, I don't think we have to be friendly every time you post. Sometimes having a good, constructive and controlled argument is a good way to vent your opinions and feelings. Here's a handy list of the good and not-so-good of CBn:

Good:
-helpful, professional moderators
-friendly posters
-a variety of differing opinions are voiced, mostly without troubles or hurt feelings
-many different threads and sections to post in
-relaxed, curteous atmosphere

Not-So-Good:
-a few wise-*** posters who can't take criticism or accept that they're sometimes wrong, thus constantly creating flame wars
-threads that are just dumb, pointless, or have been discussed before countless times that get more posts than other, more creative threads
-a lot to catch up on if you're away for more than a week or two

#44 Moonraker 5

Moonraker 5

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 05:46 PM

As an AJB'er I'll just echo the points of my esteemed colleagues. The individuals in question do not echo the views of the AJB site nor the majority of its posters. Sadly, it seems that a couple of people seem to have some sort of agenda or problem and have chosen to air it on AJB. I also have to (and have) take issue with the aggressive manner of their posts.

Sure, I'm hardly ever here, but I've got to get some work done 9 to 5... :)

#45 Dunph

Dunph

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 05:58 PM

originally posted by Kingdom Come:
Sorry folks have only read 2 of these posts - but what those 2 have said, sounds about right to me, I'm sorry to say.

Can you be more specific please, Kingdom? What 'sounds about right' to you?

Thanks for your reply, Moonraker 5, it's much appreciated. It's interesting to hear what our members and those of other fan sites think of us and the way the site is run.

#46 Hardyboy

Hardyboy

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 472 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 05:59 PM

Originally posted by Double-Oh-Zero
Not-So-Good:
-a few wise-*** posters who can't take criticism or accept that they're sometimes wrong, thus constantly creating flame wars
-threads that are just dumb, pointless, or have been discussed before countless times that get more posts than other, more creative threads
-a lot to catch up on if you're away for more than a week or two

Unfortunately, that's true of just about any website, and there are a few that seem to specialize in abusive losers who try to shove their views down your throat. And then of course there are the little kids who immediately start posting on the topic of "Who's your favorite Bond?" Two more things that show that CBn and AJB are more alike than different! :)

#47 SiCo

SiCo

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 06:12 PM

Not to sound like another broken record as an ajb'er, most of our true views have been expressed by other members above.

You cannot and never can stop 'morons' from posting, or newbies, they have to learn somewhere but you are always going through that period where you think everyone is posting supposed rubbish, you seem to foget the other half of the site are their posting in 'real' topics!! :)

Keep your chins up and believe me criticism helps in the long run, but I wouldn't take this critiscism to heart I have my suspicions they simply caused a bit of trouble and got kicked of! :)

Moronic mush over! :)

#48 Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come

Discharged

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3572 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 06:25 PM

They're comments sounds about right - go read em again.

#49 Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come

Discharged

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3572 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 06:27 PM

Their!

#50 boeserzwilling

boeserzwilling

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 233 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 07:02 PM

I'm really having a good time here since I joined. And that's the point after all: Having a good time.
I'm a Bond fan because I have so much fun when I read the novels, watch the movies or collect stuff.

I must admit that I noticed the recent negativity here, too. There were way too many "worst movie"/"hate Jinx"/Dalton ...." threads.
But I'll always come back here because the vast majority of CBn is as devoted to the Bond phenomenon as I am. I'm sure there are more members who actually love "Moonraker" AND "From Russia With Love" than one might imagine;).

#51 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 07:26 PM

Originally posted by Dr. Tynan
I love CBN.  

But it does puzzle me. Simon mentioned this before. You start a thread expecting to get loadsa responses and you get very few. And threads that are crappy in comparison get more.  

I'm amazed someone picked up on that, but it doesn't worry me - I just evidently have no finger on the pulse as to what would make a good thread. Hence I have to rely on everyone elses threads.

I daresay I couldn't be trusted to define what would make the definitive summer flick either!

But otherwise, I think this place is fine. I post on a couple of other boards - unrelated, such as contractoruk.co.uk - and everywhere is different. Each brings with it or attracts its own characters. The only reason I post here related to 007 is because, inexplicably, there seem to be more posters here than elsewhere and I couldn't say why.

Having said that, I do post at AJB in their collecting forum as there is more activity in that department than over here - go figure.

As for flamewars, debates and the rest, I think it is fairly well documented that I enjoy a good "clearing of the air". It inspires the creativity in me.

Cheers.

#52 Q-Fan

Q-Fan

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 10:26 PM

And you wonder why there is hostility zencat? Do you not see your own members attitudes? I wondered how so many of you all of a sudden appeared over at AJB to defend your forum, I knew there had to be a thread here. Aside from the poster freak, hardly anyone had any bad things to say about you guys, and we agreed we can all coexist peacefully. But I come here and see that we are called punks and that we must be jealous?? Hardly. And I agree with JackChase007 when he said the "know it alls" drive people away here. I did see a few posters said they would try to keep the negativity in check, and I appreciate that, the immaturity really needs to stop. The site owners put a lot of money and effort into these forums, and it's too bad some people alienate others.

#53 Xenia

Xenia

Midshipman

• Crew
  • 81 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 02:53 AM

You know, this thread and the one at AJB proves that we are all one big community. Isn't it cool? It's great seeing familiar faces at both forums.

:)

#54 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 03:10 AM

I agree, Xenia.

And welcome to CBN. :)

#55 jwheels

jwheels

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1021 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 08:09 AM

First of all, I wish to say that I love CBn, I think it is the best fan based Bond site out there. I feel that I can say what I wish and have it be respected, if not always agreed with, and have it calmley debated by the other members (most of them). I also think the staff members and administrators do a wonderful job of maintaining this site, and that they do not get enough credit for it.

With that being said, I want to emphasis what others have said, in that no matter how much these forums are monatered, there will always be people who negativley respond. And those people are the ones who ruin it for others. Some people see the immature, Know-it-all, negative attitudes that some of the members have, and they turn away from this site, thinking that everybody is like that.

I don't understand how people can think that one site is negative, then go to another site, and post negative remarks about the site that they think is negative.

#56 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 11:01 AM

Originally posted by Q-Fan
But I come here and see that we are called punks and that we must be jealous??  Hardly.  

But sir, that is but the voice of one, and he is very young and a lot of what he says is forgiven anyway. (His enthusiasm tends to run away with him.)

Be assured that the rest of us do not see it as that.

#57 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 11:11 AM

Originally posted by Simon

But sir, that is but the voice of one, and he is very young and a lot of what he says is forgiven anyway.  (His enthusiasm tends to run away with him.)

Be assured that the rest of us do not see it as that.

:mad: Simon, these are the kinds of posts that give CBn a bad reputation.

#58 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 11:35 AM

Alright, I’m going to step in here.

Q-fan, I don’t think Righty was calling everyone at AJB ‘punks’, rather just the two particular posters over there. That said, it is a post that would have been moderated by staff had we not considered this thread a special case.

Righty, Simon seems only to be saying that you are a good kid with his heart in the right place who reacts emotionally at times. I don’t think he is trying to put you in a bad light.

#59 Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come

Discharged

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3572 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 12:56 PM

STOP BEING SO NEGATIVE ALL OF YOU !!!!!!!!!! hehehe

#60 Dr Niles Crane

Dr Niles Crane

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 464 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 01:18 PM

I generally believe that free speech is an accepted idea throughout the world.

and the most important part of that is being able and free to speak the speech baby...

I roolly rooly think the mods around here are funky and very very sensible - strange, but true.

and PMT - heck, am I one of the only few chicks around here or wot? And boys, we ain't like werewolves...

and the grumpy part - well that's the best bit. I like the fact that CBN ain't free speech Nazis who censor stuff and that if you hate it, or like it, but want to take the mickey out of it, you can and that rocks big time