This is a read only archive of the old forums
The new CBn forums are located at https://quarterdeck.commanderbond.net/

Photo

Some harsh criticism of CBN. Is it true?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
78 replies to this topic

#1 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 20 July 2003 - 09:11 PM

This might seem like a strange thing to post, but I saw this thread over at AJB http://www.ajb007.co...php?topic=14961 discussing various forums on the web. While most of it is positive, two members (freak and DKNY) really seem to have a problem with CBN. I post this here not to cause problems or hard feelings, but to see if there is any truth to this. Being one of the older members of CBN, I, of course, feel the sting of this criticism a bit more than most.

DKNY
MI6 Agent

Quoting freak:
Most people at CBN suffer from menopause symptoms, that explains much of their hatred, mean spirit, unpleasantness and inability to appreciate, Nuff said.

CBN is no more than a bunch of grumpy old men hurling insults and abuses everyday!

I just can't stand their tone, its offensive and offputting. You can't relax there, you don't feel you belong to the place and which is full of spiteful, mean spirit, bias, manipulative, self-rightous prigs.

I would really like to hear if anyone remotely believes there is some validity in the above. I think this should be a retaliation-free thread. No arguments, please. No "you're right" or "you're wrong." Just honest comments about people's experiences here.

I'll try to stay out of it. I'll just moderate.

#2 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts
  • Location:Was on Saturn, now back in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Posted 20 July 2003 - 09:23 PM

I wouldn't care if everyone else hated us.

Not saying you are, but I think it'd be silly to think that there is no one out there in the planet who dislikes us.

#3 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 20 July 2003 - 09:29 PM

Oh I'm not surprised...but whenever I hear such specific criticism I ask myself if there is any part of it that might be true? Sometimes it's hard to tell how an outsider sees us. Do we shoot down newcomers too quickly maybe? Are we "offputting?" What did we do to tick off these guys (or guy) so much?

Maybe we just need to use more smiley faces. :) :) :) :)

But, again, let's have an argument free, retaliation-free thread. Just honest comments about people's experiences here.

#4 Bond111

Bond111

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2667 posts

Posted 20 July 2003 - 09:31 PM

I like CBn the way it is. I don't think it should change. That would be very discouraging. Forget those people at AJB; they don't know what they are talking about.

#5 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 20 July 2003 - 09:48 PM

I like CBN because it is

Smart - Witty, knowledgeable, Sharp posters.

Relaxed (if that's the right word to use) - I can behave like an idiot (not in a bad way) and not get told "You're a buffoon."

Civil - If anyone where to attack me, I know that a lot of the other posters would yell at them. Just friendly posters.

#6 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 20 July 2003 - 10:14 PM

I wonder how many people look at CBN

#7 Bond111

Bond111

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2667 posts

Posted 20 July 2003 - 10:18 PM

Well said, Dr. Tynan.

#8 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 20 July 2003 - 10:19 PM

Cheers :)

#9 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 20 July 2003 - 10:24 PM

I love CBn, it is the only place I post at and it is also my main source for the latest Bond news. Those punks at AJB are probably just jealous that CBn is more successful and that we are more of a family than them. We shouldn't let other James Bond fan sites, rude/negative comments get to us because they are just jealous.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) (Here are the smiley faces zencat wanted.)

#10 Paris

Paris

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 192 posts

Posted 20 July 2003 - 11:10 PM

Being a big fan of Pierce Brosnan and his portrayal of James Bond, I very much enjoyed coming here to get the latest news and read/post in the relevant threads. But, I'm afraid to say, the way people start picking on PB lately really puts me off. I mean, I realise that not everyone likes him, but as a fan you feel a little offended when all you see is negative remarks and people fighting whose opinion is the right one. That's not the kind of atmosphere I can relax in. Maybe a little more acceptance is in order.

#11 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 20 July 2003 - 11:30 PM

Originally posted by zencat

I appreciate the support, but I really would like to hear if anyone remotely believes there is some validity in the above. I think this should be a retaliation-free thread. No arguments, please. No who's right or who's wrong, just honest comments about people's experiences here. And, as a staff member, I'll stay out of it.  

Okay, let's get to the bottom of this.

Most people at CBN suffer from menopause symptoms, that explains much of their hatred, mean spirit, unpleasantness and inability to appreciate, Nuff said.

I disagree with this. These forums are generally very civil, and any "unpleasantness" is usually squashed very quickly by staff members. Just check out an unmoderated board - any unmoderated board - and you'll soon see the difference.

If "inability to appreciate" means "being critical", then that I see as a very good thing. I wouldn't post here if it was all "isn't-everything-about-James-Bond-absolutely-wonderful?". I like the fact that I can always speak my mind among fellow intelligent fans re: what I like and what I don't, and don't have to hold back.

CBN is no more than a bunch of grumpy old men hurling insults and abuses everyday!

Grumpy old men? Okay, I'm 28, but still.... no, that's an absurd criticism.

I just can't stand their tone, its offensive and offputting. You can't relax there, you don't feel you belong to the place and which is full of spiteful, mean spirit, bias, manipulative, self-rightous prigs.

Okay, we may be getting much warmer here. Here's what I think some people may be thinking: that CBn, with its many staff members posting in the forums with fancy "sigs", has an exclusive clique, a hierarchy, that lords it over other posters, especially "newbies".

Now, personally, I have always had the greatest respect for CBn staff. In my dealings with various staff members via the PM system (for instance, on the few occasions when I have had seriously abusive PMs from other members - who are now a distant memory as far as this site is concerned), I have found them to be (a) courteous, (:) tremendously professional, and © enormously helpful. While this may be a ridiculously sycophantic, nay, arselicking remark, I'm gonna make it: I cannot speak too highly of the way this site is run.

The "clique" thing, then, is not my opinion or experience of CBn, but it may be something that others have convinced themselves is true, and I'm just pointing that out.

#12 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 20 July 2003 - 11:31 PM

99% of what those punks said is BS. But I do see where they are coming from. There have been many flame wars in threads here, unfortunately I have been involved with starting a few, and I think those scare people away from CBn. I think it is horrible when threads are put off topic with 100 posts debating whether it's racist to not want Colin Salmon as Bond or someone calling others names for not liking the Austin Powers series. Some people post negative comments telling someone they are stupid for having a different view on something. Alot of people don't understand that everyone has their own opinions. Stupid things like this give people the impression that we are bad people that fight all of the time. We here at CBn are family and we should treat each other as such. These forums are for people who want to talk Bond with other people who want to talk Bond. All members should just stick to having nice, clean, healthy conversations and try to stay away from posting negative things that give CBn a bad reputation. We should want to be the model James Bond fan site, over time we will gain the respect we deserve, but first we have to stop bickering about stupid things and stay on the topic of a thread by posting smart well written comments/views.

#13 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 12:24 AM

Originally posted by Loomis

Okay, we may be getting much warmer here. Here's what I think some people may be thinking: that CBn, with its many staff members posting in the forums with fancy "sigs", has an exclusive clique, a hierarchy, that lords it over other posters, especially "newbies".  

Lest anyone think I'm jumping to lay hypothetical blame for CBn's ills on its staff members, let me add that some might see a "clique" as including people who are not on the staff as well as people who are. There may be a number of non-staff posters whom they find irritating (staffers, after all, don't start flame wars).

I can't see why else anyone would write: "You can't relax there, you don't feel you belong to the place." That said, this criticism is extremely vague and difficult to respond to. Perhaps if its author were much more specific, we'd have more to go on.

#14 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 12:43 AM

Originally posted by Loomis
I can't see why else anyone would write: "You can't relax there, you don't feel you belong to the place." That said, this criticism is extremely vague and difficult to respond to. Perhaps if its author were much more specific, we'd have more to go on.

They aren't very specific, are they? I think it could very well be someone with a personal axe to grind with CBN. I'm less interested in dissecting their criticism, and more interested in hearing constructive criticism from our own members.

#15 Dunph

Dunph

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 12:43 AM

Wow, that's some harsh criticism, zencat.

I posted over there to hold my hand up for being 'the member that's also a staffie' who supposedly spread false rumours, and hopefully quashed it.

It's a very interesting topic, the one over at AJB, and the one you've started here, John. I assumed we'd be treated with apathy, but it seems some members don't really hold the forums in that high a regard. :)

Seriously, if any members have problems they feel have been unaddressed, post here.

#16 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 12:48 AM

I think it could very well be someone with a personal axe to grind with CBN.  

I reckon so, too. Maybe someone with an agenda to drive away CBn members and potential members.

I'm less interested in dissecting their criticism, and more interested in hearing constructive criticism from our own members.  

Yes, same here. I personally have no criticism of CBn to offer, but I've floated the idea of people taking exception to a perceived clique. Time for me now to sit back and wait for other members to join this discussion.

#17 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 12:55 AM

Recently, I found myself tiring greatly of CBN mostly because of the massive amounts of negativity and know-it-all-ism.

#18 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 01:00 AM

Originally posted by JackChase007
Recently, I found myself tiring greatly of CBN mostly because of the massive amounts of negativity and know-it-all-ism.

Thats what I was talking about. There is too much negativity around here. I used to post negative stuff but I have changed my attitude. CBn would be a much better place if all of the other negative posters changed their attitude too.

#19 JackChase007

JackChase007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 01:09 AM

Originally posted by Righty007
Thats what I was talking about. There is too much negativity around here. I used to post negative stuff but I have changed my attitude. CBn would be a much better place if all of the other negative posters changed their attitude too.

Actually, I found that the only way that I could survive was to be negative to the negative, know-it-all posters that I despise (whose names shall remain unknown).

#20 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 01:12 AM

- + - = +

Thats works mathematically, but in the forums that just starts flame wars.

#21 License To Kill

License To Kill

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1556 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 01:15 AM

Well, sometimes I feel left out. I've been here a while, but no one ever responds or quotes any of my posts. I feel like no one cares what I say.

#22 Bond111

Bond111

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2667 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 01:19 AM

Actually, I found that the only way that I could survive was to be negative to the negative, know-it-all posters that I despise (whose names shall remain unknown).

I think the best way to solve this is if you are attacked with a negative post, respond to it in a calm and positive attitude, or ignore it. If everyone would do this I think CBn would be a better place, at least a friendlier place.

Well, sometimes I feel left out. I've been here a while, but no one ever responds or quotes any of my posts. I feel like no one cares what I say.

I don't know about others, but I prefer to read everyone's posts and take their opinions into consideration. I know how you feel though. When I first came to CBn I seemed like nobody payed attention to my posts, but I don't have that feeling anymore. Perhaps it is just bad luck. Maybe if you increase the amount of posts and threads you write, you will be noticed more.

#23 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 01:22 AM

Originally posted by bond111
I think the best way to solve this is if you are attacked with a negative post, respond to it in a calm and positive attitude, or ignore it. If everyone would do this I think CBn would be a better place, at least a friendlier place.

Yes, I agree. SM's already talk to people who break the rules and I think that has made some very positive changes in the forums.

#24 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 01:23 AM

Originally posted by License To Kill

Thanks for being so honest, License To Kill. I, for one, will watch out for your posts. :)

#25 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 01:30 AM

I surprised not many of the Staff members have posted here.

#26 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 01:38 AM

Originally posted by Dr. Tynan
I surprised not many of the Staff members have posted here.

No surprise. I think staffers are leaving this open to the members. This is a place where members can voice criticism without worrying how a staffer may respond. I'm trying to stay out of it as much as I can -- just moderate.

#27 License To Kill

License To Kill

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1556 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 01:41 AM

Thanks for being so honest, License To Kill. I, for one, will watch out for your posts. :)

Thanks, zen. I PM'ed you back and it told me your mailbox is full, so you need to delete some PM's before you receive mine :)

#28 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 02:11 AM

Like Zencat, I am staying out of this mostly because this a chance for forum members to vent.

That being said, I have seen the negativity growing here, and it does bother me. Hopefully this thread, and the continuing discussion here will help us all to make this board a better place.

-- Xenobia

#29 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 02:30 AM

I love CBN.

But it does puzzle me. Simon mentioned this before. You start a thread expecting to get loadsa responses and you get very few. And threads that are crappy in comparison get more. Sorry to go on, but I was nearly blown to smithereens by dissident Republicans on Saturday and only 3 people wrote and posted messages saying they were glad I was ok, charming. I'm also puzzled why my quotes thread entitled "He was dressed up as Bond and he did it" has gotten very few responses. I think I was expecting you guys to be reading those quotes and writing things like "Moore's talking bull, blah, blah, blah."

But don't be thinking I think CBN's **** because I don't.

#30 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 21 July 2003 - 02:37 AM

I sometimes worry that people will get annoyed at how often I create non-Bond related topics.