157 replies to this topic

#121 Sensualist

Sensualist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 05:06 AM

Well I went ahead and saw the movie.  Brutal, cruel film.  I changed my mind about not seeing it after putting myself in a position of talking about it so much.

Sensualist, you are entirely wrong to dismiss the criticisms people make re inaccuracy against the film since it is Gibson's frequently stated position that the Holy Spirit worked thru him in making the film, and that it is absolute revealed truth, that it is a literal depiction of the Gospels.

All you 'saw' was brutality and cruelty? How poor for you. I saw love, playfulness, forgiveness, fellowship, friendship, art and a thoughtful musical score.

Pity.

Pity too that you attribute criticism to me with respect to what ever it is that you're incorrectly attributing criticism to me for. I never mentioned anything about Gibson's version being accurate or anything about the Holy Spirit. Check the thread.

You effectively labeled me a religious zealot in your previous posts. I'm NOT religious. I'm, in fact, a SENSUALIST. A sinner. Not proud of it. Just honest about it.

Further, I merely criticised 1) those who panned it having not seen it, and 2) those who saw nothing but 'gore' in it. I saw it a second time and noted how only a minority of the movie was 'gore'. The viewing experience the second time around was even more moving. More emotionally gripping.

That's all.

Edited by Sensualist, 07 March 2004 - 02:15 AM.

#122 Bon-san

Bon-san

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4124 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 07:25 AM

Yawn.

#123 Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come

Discharged

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3572 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 01:46 AM

Just read on BBC CEEFAX that 'little Mel' is suing a post-production facility where illegal copies of his film were allegedly made. How Christian of him.

It seems its okay for him to 'copy' - embelish most of the many other film versions on Christ...

#124 Sensualist

Sensualist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 02:11 AM

Just read on BBC CEEFAX that 'little Mel' is suing a post-production facility where illegal copies of his film were allegedly made. How Christian of him.

It seems its okay for him to 'copy' - embelish most of the many other film versions on Christ...

So you think a 'Christian' ought to let those people who (allegedly) break the law get away without being accountable?

Boy you have a problem.

There were hundreds of people who worked on this film (grip personel, lighting tecnicians, seamstresses in the wardrobe department, cello player on the musical score) who got paid a regular wage. By letting criminals get away with piracy, you effectively hurt these individuals in terms of future employment.

Think about it logically before putting forth your 'holier than thou' thoughts.

As for him 'copy'-ing other films on Christ...what's your point? YOU are free to do that too, you know. It's in the public realm.

There's no copyright on the life of Jesus that i'm aware of. Or do you have information that billions of other people on this planet do not?

Seems like you and those who condecendingly refer to him as 'little Mel' are just plain ENVIOUS, JEALOUS, Pitiable individuals.

Edited by Sensualist, 07 March 2004 - 02:52 AM.

#125 Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come

Discharged

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3572 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 02:28 AM

You are carried away with your own importance - at first I thought you wee 'playful' now you seem to have sociapathic tendances. Stop being so heavy handed and angry at the world!

Forgive and forget - unlike Little Mel's version of Christinanity. As for hurting film makers and stars nothing would give most of us any greater pleasure; same with regards to Pop stars and Sports. This time was a-comin' baby! Who buys films or cds the way we used to!!!!! times have changed and it is now time for 'us' to reap rewards, until they dry up.

Next!

#126 Sensualist

Sensualist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 02:49 AM

Forgive and forget - unlike Little Mel's version of Christinanity. As for hurting film makers and stars nothing would give most of us any greater pleasure; same with regards to Pop stars and Sports. This time was a-comin' baby! Who buys films or cds the way we used to!!!!! times have changed and it is now time for 'us' to reap rewards, until they dry up.

Next!

What a shame that you openly advocate piracy on this forum. Stylish.

As I said, the majority of people working on films are merely trying to earn a living and put food on the table.

Do think about that, Kingdom Come.

#127 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 03:34 AM

Well, I saw the film, and with all the authority that gives me, here is what I think of it:

It is gory to the point of stupidity.

It is insulting in some of characterizations.

The over the top special effects ruin excellent scenes.

First, I ask you....where did Herod come from -- [i]Jesus Christ Superstar[i]? His costuming and posturing was beyond ridiculous! Did Mr. Gibson have no biblical scholars to question about Herod, so he turned to the great Ancient history scholar Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber? If the audience had to sit through that cartoon, at least we could have had the song with it.

Speaking of scholars, of course all great woodworking scholars know that Christ invented the modern dining room table and chairs. How I missed this in Sunday school, I have no idea. Evidently, I also missed the part that tells me the Anti-Christ was born right before the Passion.

What was with the whole Anti-Christ cameo? What the Hell was that baby doing there? Satan was making her point just fine without the arrival Damien, BC. *rolleyes* Spare me, please.

And you can not tell me that when casting this film all Mel had to work with were actors who looked stereotypically Jewish. Me thinks not. Other members of the high council did not look so stereotypical. Gibson did seem to give the big speaking parts to those who did. And I make this point because not ONE Of the Romans looked stereotypically Roman.

Yes, there were noble people of the Jewish faith represented, and yes, the Romans were shown in their brutality and in their mercy, but the difference is, there is serious evidence that this how the Romans were. What evidence we have of the High Council is tainted by centuries of anti-semtism.

The violence in this film was not only ridiculous and stereotypically for Mel Gibson over the top, it was INCORRECT. I am not a bible expert, but I do how many times Jesus was flogged, and they flogged him TOO MANY TIMES. If they wanted the blood and get it right, they should have just used that razor thing. Having flogged in two different sets only shows how much Gibson's vision was a bloodlust.

While we are at it, if he lost that much blood BEFORE the crucifixion, how did Jesus keep going? I know through God all things are possible, and the Romans were goons, but I think Gibson took the blood too far.

And speaking of too far, some moments of filming were taken too far. The scene with Judas had the right amount of tension without the Matrixesque editing as the coins were thrown at Judas. That editing ruined the scene. Ditto the rain drop right at the end. Again, over the top, and it broke the drama of what was a very powerful moment.

This is not to say there were not powerful moments in this film. Satan's portrayer was dead on, particularly at the very beginning with her serpertine like movements. She made the point without adding in the over the top real life snake.

The moment when James or John asks Jesus if they should get the others to join in Gethesemene is poignant for Christ's very human "I don't want them to see me like this." Jim Carizvel was at his best in moments where his humanity played through, such as the one I just mentioned, and when he shows great disappointment when Theresa's water is knocked away from him, and in the bonding between him and Simon as they carry the cross.

Had this film been about the quiet moments of Christ's passions, the looks between him and those that condemn him, and him and those that loved him, it would have been a much more powerful film that simply
watching the Filet of Christ.

-- Xenobia

#128 Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come

Discharged

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3572 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 08:12 AM

It seems clear that Gibson is a mass manipulator and has planned this thing very well. I'd say he is contented that his film is and will probably be, the most controversial in a number of years. As we all know this rarely hurt box office takings. If it is true that Gibson said the "Holy Spirit was working through him on this film" then the poor man may be having mental health problems and that is for sure, a topic never to be made little of.

Ironically, having said all this, I still wish the film well.

Beware of false prophets which come to you in sheeps clothing;
ye shall know them by their fruits.

#129 Sensualist

Sensualist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 03:53 PM

Well, Sensualist has seen it twice. The second being a more moving experience than the first. (The first viewing being a bit, um, shocking.)

I do believe a third viewing is in order.

Xenobia, you forget that this movie is pure art. I did not see it for any historically accurate reasons.

It's a great film. A tremendous "Art House" epic. Slow-mo, demonic embellishments, visual embellishments, rain drops, massively ecclectic score and all.

MAGNIFICENT!

They ought to mail in the Oscar right now! Why wait 12 months? :)

Edited by Sensualist, 07 March 2004 - 03:58 PM.

#130 TGO

TGO

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 04:04 PM

So you think a 'Christian' ought to let those people who (allegedly) break the law get away without being accountable?

Boy you have a problem.

There were hundreds of people who worked on this film (grip personel, lighting tecnicians, seamstresses in the wardrobe department, cello player on the musical score) who got paid a regular wage. By letting criminals get away with piracy, you effectively hurt these individuals in terms of future employment.

Actually, it doesnt really hurt the technicians. Technicians are only paid a one time fee for their service...they do not recieve residual checks over time, so they work movie by movie. The studios couldn't pay them less, because their respective unions would not have it. Now piracy more directly hurts actors, producers, directors, and mostly the film studios. It does hurt people, but not on the extreme scale as portrayed in those manipulative PSA's they run before the movie.

#131 Kingdom Come

Kingdom Come

Discharged

• Discharged
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3572 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 05:56 PM

You tell em!!

#132 Sensualist

Sensualist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 07:36 PM

[quote name='Xenobia' date='7 March 2004 - 03:34'] First, I ask you....where did Herod come from -- [i]Jesus Christ Superstar[i]?

Edited by Sensualist, 07 March 2004 - 08:08 PM.

#133 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 09:45 PM

Thank God for you Sensualist. If it wasn't for you, I might actually have a free thought and think for myself. :)

You call it art, I call it bad art. It's the eternal debate, taking new form here at CBn. :)

Even if Herod was a decadent flake, the problem is, the presentation of his character in MG's film is way too close th Lloyd Webber's presentation. Either the actor stole it, or MG directed him to. You believe whatever version is easier for you to believe Sensualist.

I just read today that Gibson took a lot of things (for example the Devil's pressence on the Way of the Cross), from a Victorian Era mystic, whose visions may or may not have been doctored by the person who transcribed them to reflect the Anti-semtism of the day in that era.

Funny how that phrase "anti-semetic" keeps coming up.

-- Xenobia

#134 Sensualist

Sensualist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 11:15 PM

[quote name='Xenobia' date='7 March 2004 - 21:45'] Thank God for you Sensualist.

Edited by Sensualist, 08 March 2004 - 01:46 AM.

#135 Bon-san

Bon-san

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4124 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 12:59 AM

I say stick to discussing James Bond.

Could you, would you, please?

#136 Sensualist

Sensualist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 01:39 AM

You've posted twice in this thread for a grand total of, what, six words?...

Is that your modus operandai for getting your post count up? :)

Why don't you go to the Connery section and make yourself useful by posting something insightful about YOLT, a much maligned (incorrectly so) James Bond epic, Bon-san.

You know, say something good about the striking Karin Dor, or write something interesting about Tiger Tanaka, or do a disertation about how the film deviated so enormously from the book, or start a thread about how atmospheric both the movie and book were but for varying reasons... :)

Edited by Sensualist, 08 March 2004 - 01:50 AM.

#137 TGO

TGO

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 03:12 AM

Why don't you go to the Connery section and make yourself useful by posting something insightful about YOLT, a much maligned (incorrectly so) James Bond epic, Bon-san.

You know, say something good about the striking Karin Dor, or write something interesting about Tiger Tanaka, or do a disertation about how the film deviated so enormously from the book, or start a thread about how atmospheric both the movie and book were but for varying reasons... :)

Since you edit your posts so much, one would think that you would edit your posts to make yourself look less like a prick.

#138 Bon-san

Bon-san

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4124 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 03:16 AM

Since you edit your posts so much, one would think that you would edit your posts to make yourself look less like a prick.

Or for spelling (e.g., dissertation, not disertation).

#139 Sensualist

Sensualist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 03:42 AM

What would be the point of that, TGO? :)

#140 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 05:04 AM

What would be the point of that, TGO? :)

Oh I think this quote from you
Sometimes, my lovely Xenobia, it's best to let Sensualist do the thinking while beautiful women like yourself merely keep quiet and smile and tag along on the joy ride! (*)* Mildly kidding of course

Makes your point for you.

I'm done.

-- Xenobia

#141 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 08:15 AM

This appears to be turning from debate into abuse of anyone with a remotely contrary perception of what they saw. If it is indeed art, then isn't art in the eye of the beholder? One man's (or woman's) art is another man's (or woman's) dogs playing poker.

Suffer the little CBn members, huh?

#142 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 04:44 PM

A Brosnan film reference from Jim?? :)

#143 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 04:47 PM

Will wonders never cease? Next thing you know, I'll be praising Nick Nack as the most brilliant character concept in a Bond film. :) :)

#144 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 04:50 PM

A Brosnan film reference from Jim?? :)

Goes to show how objective one can be in bunging abuse about. Were that only true of all.

#145 Sensualist

Sensualist

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 12:24 AM

Sensualist was mearly trying to be colourful and liven up what has been a dour place to discuss 'movies' these days, what with pointless chatter of Pierce being 'in' or 'out'...

Sensualist's modus operandi has traditionally been to provoke and confront. Surely fellow CBn-ers can see right through the tactic?

Right! Back to playing 'nice'. :)

#146 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 01:06 PM

From http://www.spectator...ntry_frames.htm:

Christianity and Judaism cannot be reconciled

But, says Bruce Anderson, there

#147 Jaelle

Jaelle

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1406 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 02:44 PM

Hey Loomis, I recommended that Spectator article on the ajb site. It's a good piece.

Ok, folks... for me, this has all gotten SO out of hand and I thoroughly regret ever joining this discussion in the first place. I sincerely apologize for my intemperate and stupid remarks about Sensualist's beliefs or non-beliefs. REALLY dum on my part! As I said on my post on ajb, somehow this film has simply *touched* a nerve among a lot of people. I hope this is my last post here on this thread.

Sensualist, if you had read my essay on the ajb site you'd see why I "caved in." Your scolding certainly did contribute to my re-think, tho you take far too much credit for my turnabout. Others with whom I'd been discussing the film sincerely wanted me to join their discussion comparing The Passion with other religious films. But my conscience kept telling me that I'd better see the damned thing before continuing on, and your screeching *did* hit its target. So I changed my mind. Why that makes me a hypocrite, I'm not sure. I thought I was being hypocritical by discussing the film and not seeing it.

Anyway, it is entirely Mel Gibson's fault that this hype and controversey exists in the first place. I started paying attention to the PR about the film early last year. As the year went by and I kept reading updates and critical commentary, I was actually criticizing Gibson's critics. I had seen him in "Signs" which I thought was a remarkable film. I loved Gibson in it---he played a former priest who loses his faith and regains it again. (For the record, I liked Mad Max, have never seen any Lethal Weapon movies, liked Braveheart, hated The Patriot, and thought "What Women Want" was just silly). In "Signs," he was completely convincing and there was no ham-fisted bludgeon about his faith the way there is in The Passion. While I cared little for his extreme religious views (and I don't consider him a Catholic---a practicing, believing Catholic recognizes the Pope as the spiritual authority on earth, tho most Catholics do not view him as infallible), particularly his belief in the literal and absolute truth of the Gospels, I thought the critics were just stirring up a hornet's nest for no good reason. I thought "just calm down, let him make his film, you'll just make more people interested in seeing it if you keep this up."

But then I realized that it was Gibson himself who started the ball rolling before anyone had even criticized the film and it was his entire attitude and marketing tactics that kept *fueling* the controversey. In early 2003 he fired the first salvo by stating in an interview that there was a conspiracy of "dark forces" against him that was anti-Christian. He repeated this again on the recent interview with Diane Sawyer. Gibson repeatedly and to this day identifies all his critics as part of a Satanic consipracy against Christianity. He used the word "consipracy" more than once in the Sawyer interview.

At that time in early 2003, NO ONE had even come out with any charges of anti-semitism or anything else. Gibson's remarks, tho, got the press, Jewish and various Christian groups curious about his strange and rather paranoid remarks. Then the NY Times did some digging and interviewed his father, who's really someone out of the 14th century. Quite understandably, Gibson was furious about the press seeking out his father (tho his father could simply have said "no" to the interview, thereby not embarrassing his son).

It was right there that Gibson could've avoided controversey. He simply could've said to the press in private "Look guys, I'll talk with you, but leave my father alone. Off the record, I don't agree with him about the Holocaust but I won't publicly refute my father, I love and respect him." That would've completely mollified those concerned about the film's supposed anti-semitism and the Times editors have clearly said "if Gibson had merely agreed to talk to us and had gone off the record in disagreeing with his father, all the controversey would've died down." The press would've backed off. The folks at ADL have said repeatedly that if Gibson had merely answered their requests for a dialogue, much of the controversey would not have existed. But it was Gibson's bunker mentality, his total refusal to even talk with people who had concerns (while being completely available to evangelicals and fawning entertainment reporters who wouldn't ask him any tough questions) that made some people ask "what's he got to hide? why's he so paranoid?"

Journalists and Jewish groups were asking to just ask him questions in private. They said nothing public needed to come out of these meetings if he didn't want them to. They asked to be included in the special pre-screenings he was arranging. They weren't even attacking him or the film. Scorcese did this in his advance work for Last Temptation. He let all types of religious scholars and representatives, from right-wing to more secular minded, see his film. He organized dialogues between all types of religious folks. Scorcese was open to discussion and debate and never pretended to have the ear of God, he never labelled his critics as "evil," he never painted himself as a persecuted victim. But Gibson refused to meet with any one---except evangelical Protestants and Catholics, and a tiny number of select Jews whom he only because he knew they wouldn't criticize the film or raise any questions or concerns. He invited only these people to his advance and refused admittance to anyone he thought might raise some concerns. Abe Foxman from ADL had to sneak in to see it. For these screenings, Gibson distributed a pamphlet he wrote that asked that no one talk about the film unless they liked it and wanted to use it in their evangelical work. In other words, if you had problems or concerns, you had to shut about it.

Then he tried to get the Pope on his side by claiming that the pontiff had seen the film and had said "it is as it was." Gibson's Icon Productions kept spreading this in their press releases and then the Vatican swiftly came out with a rebuttal, saying it was absolutely not true. So in a bit of shameless marketing hucksterism, Gibson tried to manufacture the Pope's support for his film without the Vatican's approval.

Meanwhile, he kept saying things like the film's critics "are the forces of Satan, or are dupes of Satan." That's an exact quote. He kept painting himself as a victim: "I'm subjected to religious persecution...persecution as an American, persecution as a man." (What is it with Gibson and his constant insecurity about his masculinity for pete's sake?!) He told Diane Sawyer that "a big dark force" (*his* words) didn't want him to make the film. His marketing campaign of the film was to *only* to link up with the huge network of ultraconservative evangelicals in this country, encourage them to use it as a proselytizing tool (his Icon Productions distributed pamphlets urging evangelicals to use the film to spread the good word, esp. in Europe where people are more secular), paint himself as a persecuted martyr, paint his critics as people in league with Satan. It was this bunker mentality and his absolute refusal to even go halfway with people who simply wanted to raise questions that immediately made me change my mind about him. And then when in response to those who asked him about his father's views, he simply said "My father has never lied to me, he taught me my faith" then I really had to wonder about Mel Gibson's fanaticism.

Fine, you say, all this is irrelevant to the film. I don't think it is but it's entirely fair to try to separate the film from the filmmaker. In this, I think the LA Times' Patrick Goldstein has done an admirable, thoughtful job and I recommend his article:

http://www.calendarl...section=/movies

Goldstein discusses the issue of separating the artist from the work of art. He doesn't bash Gibson but neither does he fawn. I also recommend this other piece from the LA Times which rightly points out Gibson's determination into turning Christ into some sort of action hero. For all Gibson's fulminating about Hollywood decadence, he still uses the old Hollywood tropes of filmmaking, as when he chose to elevate one person in the Gospels who is barely mentioned in the scriptures as The One Evil Villain to Hate (Caiaphas):

http://www.calendarl...e-more-channels

Harmsway, you are incorrect about Gibson and the schismatic group that he is a part of - that's the entire point of his beliefs and that's what some here are not understanding. Like the ultraconservative *strict constructionists* who believe that the Constitution should not be *interpreted*, like most Christian fundamentalists who view the scriptures as the absolute literal truth, it is *precisely* the trend toward the Church's acceptance of *interpreting* the Gospels that Gibson and his particular cult rejects. Look it up yourself. There is absolutely no room for *intepretation* of the Gospels in Gibson's brand of faith---not once has Gibson said "this is just my interpretation, take it or leave it." Religious literalists like him absolutely *abhor* even the word "interpretation" when it comes to understanding scripture. That's one of the central parts of Vatican II's reforms that Gibson and his father reject utterly. Those reforms declared that the Gospels were *not* in fact eyewitness testimonies, but written 30-40 years after the event, and must be interpreted as written by men writing in difficult political times (when the ruling Romans could not be offended, for example).

I do not for one moment begrudge Gibson's right to interpret the Bible as he wants to, much to the contrary. But he and his brand of Christianity claim to have the corner on the revealed, literal truth of the Gospels and they deride modern, moderate Christians for their "cut and paste" reading of scripture. Gibson has indeed said about the film "what I've made is the truth, you may not want to see it, you may not like it, but it's the absolute truth as given in the Gospels by the Holy Spirit." That is an attitude that I find revolting, thoroughly meglomaniacal and pretty scary.

BTW, I completely disagree that criticizing The Passion is tantamount to ridiculing Christianity. Some of the film's severest critics are themselves Christians. The American Conference of Catholic Bishops have come out with very serious concerns about it. And I look at the film critically from my belief that it comes from a twisted view of the Gospels and Jesus Christ's message.

There have been some analogies made in this thread by various people that I think are completely inappropriate. Loomis, for example, asked why it's ok to diss this film for its Christianity but not any other film for its religiosity. Well, as I said, none of the film's critics are dissing it for its Christianity, the criticism is much more complex than that. Secondly, I seriously doubt any filmmaker wanting to make a devout, ultraconservative film about the prophet Muhammed in which evil and sadistic Christians are shown brutalizing Muslims would ever be distributed in the US or anywhere in the western world. Even if the film were as brilliantly done as The Passion quite obviously is, I also seriously doubt most folks on this board would embrace it.

Furthermore, the analogies with Germans Saving Private Ryan or Italians in mafia movies make no sense. A more apt analogy would be if a German filmmaker who himself had nothing to do with the Nazi regime but whose parents and extended family had strong ties to that regime made a film about a violent crime in which a Jew or Jews were involved. Let's say an innocent German man was murdered by a German police officer (non-Jewish) who was given false information by a Jew who for his own reasons wanted this innocent man killed. The film shows a scheming, sadistic, manipulative, evil Jew demanding that this officer kill the man. The filmmaker totally ignores the historical context of the time, never alluding to persecution of Jews during that period. It's not a great analogy but it's far, far more appropriate than the other analogies given in this thread. The Saving Private Ryan analogy ignores the fact that there is no history of Germans being collectively persecuted as a race by Americans for centuries.

Anyway, thanks to Jim for his eminently reasonable posts. I do believe the film is a work of art, it's extraordinary actually. Tho unlike Last Temptation, it didn't do anything at all to my lapsed faith. It just made me feel bludgeoned and shouted at for two hours by a holier-than-thou fanatic screaming at me from the pulpit and barely compensating for it by giving me a very few quiet, beautiful screen moments that hinted at what the film might have been in the hands of a more subtle filmmaker. It's too bad the evangelicals are so mesmerized by the Hollywood Mel Gibson factor. They ignored a far more thoughtful film released last year called The Gospel According to St. John but it's a simple film with no hysteria, special effects or rivers of gore. Ah well, enuf. My sincere apologies to all for going on so much ranting about this film.

#148 Jaelle

Jaelle

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1406 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 03:26 PM

This is the guy about whom Mel Gibson said he wants "to eat his dog" and "kill him."

http://www.nytimes.c...pagewanted=2
THE NEW YORK TIMES
March 7, 2004
FRANK RICH
Mel Gibson Forgives Us for His Sins

hank God — I think. Mel Gibson has granted me absolution for my sins. As "The Passion of the Christ" approached the $100 million mark, the star appeared on "The Tonight Show," where Jay Leno asked if he would forgive me. "Absolutely," he responded, adding that his dispute with me was "not personal." Then he waxed philosophical: "You try to perform an act of love even for those who persecute you, and I think that's the message of the film."

Thus we see the gospel according to Mel. If you criticize his film and the Jew-baiting by which he promoted it, you are persecuting him — all the way to the bank. If he says that he wants you killed, he wants your intestines "on a stick" and he wants to kill your dog — such was his fatwa against me in September — not only is there nothing personal about it but it's an act of love. And that is indeed the message of his film. "The Passion" is far more in love with putting Jesus' intestines on a stick than with dramatizing his godly teachings, which are relegated to a few brief, cryptic flashbacks.

With its laborious build-up to its orgasmic spurtings of blood and other bodily fluids, Mr. Gibson's film is constructed like nothing so much as a pørn movie, replete with slo-mo climaxes and pounding music for the money shots. Of all the "Passion" critics, no one has nailed its artistic vision more precisely than Christopher Hitchens, who on "Hardball" called it a homoerotic "exercise in lurid sadomasochism" for those who "like seeing handsome young men stripped and flayed alive over a long period of time."

If "The Passion" is a joy ride for sadomasochists, conveniently cloaked in the plain-brown wrapping of religiosity, does that make it bad for the Jews? Not necessarily. As a director, Mr. Gibson is no Leni Riefenstahl. His movie is just too ponderous to spark a pogrom on its own — in America anyway. The one ugly incident reported on Ash Wednesday, in which the Lovingway United Pentecostal Church posted a marquee reading "Jews Killed the Lord Jesus," occurred in Denver, where the local archbishop, Charles Chaput, had thrown kindling on the fire by promoting the movie for months. Whether "The Passion" will prove quite as benign in Europe and the Arab world is a story yet to be told. It can't be coincidence that France, where Jacques Chirac has of late called for "zero tolerance" of anti-Semitism, was the only country where the film lacked a distributor until this week, when a Tunisian producer declared it was his "duty as a Muslim who believes in Jesus" to remedy that terrible lapse.

But speaking as someone who has never experienced serious bigotry, I must confess that, whatever happens abroad, the fracas over "The Passion" has made me feel less secure as a Jew in America than ever before.

My quarrel is not with most of the millions of Christian believers who are moved to tears by "The Passion." They bring their own deep feelings to the theater with them, and when Mr. Gibson pushes their buttons, however crudely, they generously do his work for him, supplying from their hearts the authentic spirituality that is missing in his jamboree of bloody beefcake. Jews, after all, can overcompensate for mediocre filmmaking in exactly the same way; even the schlockiest movies about the Holocaust (Robin Williams as "Jakob the Liar," anyone?) will move some audiences to tears by simply evoking the story's bare bones in Hollywood kitsch.

What concerns me much more are those with leadership positions in the secular world — including those in the media — who have given Mr. Gibson, "The Passion" and its most incendiary hucksters a free pass for behavior that is unambiguously contrived to vilify Jews.

Start with the movie itself. There is no question that it rewrites history by making Caiaphas and the other high priests the prime instigators of Jesus' death while softening Pontius Pilate, an infamous Roman thug, into a reluctant and somewhat conscience-stricken executioner. "The more benign Pilate appears in the movie, the more malignant the Jews are," is how Elaine Pagels describes Mr. Gibson's modus operandi in The New Yorker this week. As if that weren't enough, the Jewish high priests are also depicted as grim sadists with bad noses and teeth — Shylocks and Fagins from 19th-century stock. (The only Jew with a pretty nose in this Judea is Jesus.) Yet in those early screenings that Mr. Gibson famously threw for conservative politicos in Washington last summer and fall, not a person in attendance, from Robert Novak to Peggy Noonan, seems to have recognized these obvious stereotypes, let alone spoken up about them in their profuse encomiums to the film.

Nor do some of these pundits seem to recognize Holocaust denial when it is staring them in the face. In an interview in the current Reader's Digest, Ms. Noonan asks Mr. Gibson: "The Holocaust happened, right?" After saying that some of his best friends "have numbers on their arms," he responds: "Yes, of course. Atrocities happened. War is horrible. The Second World War killed tens of millions of people. Some of them were Jews in concentration camps." Yes, mistakes happened, atrocities happened, war happened, some of the victims were Jews. This is the classic language of contemporary Holocaust deniers, from David Irving to Mr. Gibson's own father, Hutton Gibson, a prominent anti-Semitic author and activist. Their rhetorical strategy is to diminish Hitler's extermination of Jews by folding those deaths into the war's overall casualty figures, as if the Holocaust were an idle byproduct of battle instead of a Third Reich master plan for genocide. Rather than challenge Mel Gibson on this, Ms. Noonan merely reinforces his junk history. "So the point is that life is tragic and it is full of fighting and violence, mischief and malice," she replies.

No, that is not the point of the history of the Holocaust.

Of course, if a Jew points out such callousness, or reports on how Mr. Gibson exploited a gravely ill Pope as a shill for his movie, he is not practicing journalism or trying to clarify the historical record. He is instead "rabidly anti-Christian," as James Dobson of Focus on the Family is fond of describing Jews who raise questions about Mr. Gibson. The message is clear: Jews who criticize a poor, defenseless multimillionaire movie star and his film are behaving much as Caiaphas and his cronies do in "The Passion" itself. There's a consistency of animus here.

There is also a mighty strange inversion of reality. America is 82 percent Christian, and 60 percent of the population believes the Bible is historical fact. (The Jewish population is 2 percent.) The president of the United States has endorsed Jesus as his favorite philosopher, and Mr. Gibson's movie had almost as large an opening week as "The Lord of the Rings." The star has won his battle. He's hotter than ever in Hollywood, a town whose first commandment is that you never argue with a hit. ("If Hitler did a movie with these numbers, we'd give him his next deal," one Jewish mogul told me in a phone conversation this week.) So by what stretch of the imagination is Mr. Gibson so aggrieved that he can go on "The Tonight Show," purport to be a victim and not be laughed at by Mr. Leno or anyone else? For all his talk of "suffering" for his art, it's hard to see exactly how Mr. Gibson has suffered. His production company is even licensing necklaces ($12.99 or $16.99, take your pick) that feature replicas of the nails used in the film's Crucifixion.

Of late, however, the star has racheted up the volume of his complaints, floating insinuations out of the "Protocols of the Elders of Zion." Speaking of his critics to Diane Sawyer of ABC, Mr. Gibson said: "It's only logical to assume that conspiracies are everywhere, because that's what people do. They conspire. If you can't get the message, get the man." So who is in this dark, fearful conspiracy? The only conspirator mentioned by name in that interview was me. But Ms. Sawyer never identified me as Jewish, thereby sanitizing Mr. Gibson's rant of its truculent meaning. (She did show a picture of me, though, perhaps assuming that my nose might give me away.)

Bill O'Reilly was not so circumspect when he returned to this same theme last week, asking an editor from Variety why Mr. Gibson has taken so much heat for his film. After beating around the burning bush for a while, Mr. O'Reilly said: "I'm asking this question respectfully. Is it because that the major media in Hollywood and a lot of the secular press is controlled by Jewish people?" With respect like this, Jews hardly need any disrespect. Besides, the idea that Jews control the media is disproved by Mr. Gibson's own media campaign. Just as he kept most Jewish journalists out of early screenings of "The Passion," so he cherrypicks his interviewers now. No Jewish journalist on network television (and there are some) has been permitted to question him thus far — a press manipulation by Mr. Gibson's flacks that is worthy of further investigation.

The vilification of Jews by Mr. Gibson, his film and some of his allies, unchallenged by his media enablers, is not happening in a vacuum. We are in the midst of an escalating election-year culture war in which those of "faith" are demonizing so-called "secularists" (for which read any Jews critical of Mr. Gibson and their fellow travelers, liberals). Politicians, we are learning, seem increasingly eager to wrap themselves in "The Passion of the Christ" as a handy signal to indicate they are opposed to all those "secularists" whose conspiracy is undermining all that right-thinking Americans hold near and dear. Predictably enough, both the president and Mrs. Bush have publicly indicated their desire to see Mr. Gibson's film. But when even Connecticut's John Rowland, a scandal-ridden governor facing impeachment, starts to rave about "The Passion" in public ("Unbelievable!" "Breathtaking!"), as he did last weekend, it's clear that we're witnessing the birth of a phenomenon. You come away from this whole sorry story feeling that Jesus died in "The Passion of the Christ" so cynics, whether seeking bucks or votes, could inherit the earth.

#149 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 06:33 PM

There have been some analogies made in this thread by various people that I think are completely inappropriate.  Loomis, for example, asked why it's ok to diss this film for its Christianity but not any other film for its religiosity.  Well, as I said, none of the film's critics are dissing it for its Christianity, the criticism is much more complex than that.

Granted, no one is writing "It's a Christian picture, so it blows" (well, no "serious", professional critics are writing that, anyway), but I do feel that there's something of an anti-Christian bias - conscious or otherwise - among bien pensant liberals in the trendy media scene. For such people, Christianity in general and conservative Catholicism in particular is profoundly unsexy, and usually worthy only of mockery; whereas Islam, Judaism and so on have an exotic allure. These mockers, by the way, are generally white, middle class, and nominally Christian themselves.

The current issue of The Spectator also includes a report on the Oscars (print only, unfortunately, otherwise I'd put it up here), in which there's an observation along the lines of: "Liberals champion the right of artists to give audiences a gay Christ, a drug addict Christ, and so on, but worry that, with Gibson's Christ of traditional Catholicism, an artist has at last inflicted an unacceptably offensive Christ on the public."

#150 Four Aces

Four Aces

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1133 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 08:14 PM

...but I do feel that there's something of an anti-Christian bias - conscious or otherwise - among bien pensant liberals in the trendy media scene. For such people, Christianity in general and conservative Catholicism in particular is profoundly unsexy, and usually worthy only of mockery; whereas Islam, Judaism and so on have an exotic allure. These mockers, by the way, are generally white, middle class, and nominally Christian themselves...

Is this the same Loomis that I have been reading here at CBn??