157 replies to this topic

#1 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 14 July 2003 - 07:17 PM

Ain't It Cool News has posted a teaser trailer for Mel Gibson's story of Christ's final hours, THE PASSION. This trailer is very graphic and very powerful. I'm almost frightened to see this movie. I really hope Gibson sticks with his plan to release this movie without subtitles. I think this will make the experience all the more intense -- all the more like you are really there. And, hey, it's not like we don't know the story.

I really hope this movie gets proper distribution. Talk about a passion project.

#2 homerjbond

homerjbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 14 July 2003 - 08:42 PM

I agree, the trailer does look disturbing and to see Jesus cry out something in Latin (or Aramaic?) without subtitle makes it all the more intense.

I'm afraid Gibson won't find a distributor in the US unless he is willing to put in subtitles...

#3 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 14 July 2003 - 09:58 PM

I'm not sure where the subtitle issue stands. I heard Gibson screened the movie, with subtitles, for a Christen group and their only complaint was there were too many subtitles. I think Mel is going to hold out and deliver whatever he feels is the best version of the movie. He has not compromised it thus far. I have faith. :)

I agree, homerjbond. There is real power to just hearing the Aramaic.

#4 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 14 July 2003 - 11:02 PM

Ah, didn't realise that a trailer for the filmw as already out. I'm quite looking forward to this project. It shows a lot of promise.

Off to watch the trailer now :)

#5 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 15 July 2003 - 01:37 AM

I'm really looking forward to this movie, and I hope that Mel won't be swayed by the studio to add subtitles.

I hope that studios now give audiences more credit than they previously thought they had. The voiceover in Bladerunner, anyone?

An interesting coincidence (and I'm accepting it as such) with the title "The Passion." Martin Scorsese's 1988 "The Last Temptation of Christ" was primarily scored by Peter Gabriel who named his truly magnificent soundtrack album "Passion."

Considering both movie's subject matter it could be construed as more than just a coincidence, but I think it was Gabriel's idea to not use the movie's title for his soundtrack album, which was more a collection of ethnic source material released by his "world music" record label.

Still an interesting coincidence, none the less.

#6 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 15 July 2003 - 01:44 AM

That Peter Gabriel CD is amazing. That got me through a whole summer.

I think the word "passion", for both Mel and Gabriel, came from the expression "passion play" (the origin of which I'm a little uncertain of) to descibe a dramatization of the crucifixion/resurrection.

#7 BONDFINESSE 007

BONDFINESSE 007

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4515 posts

Posted 15 July 2003 - 02:21 AM

this is a movie i am so waiting to see, i have heard good things about it and i hope we wont have to wait to long to see it...whats the release date?

#8 homerjbond

homerjbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 15 July 2003 - 01:54 PM

Originally posted by BONDFINESSE 007
this is a movie i am so waiting to see, i have heard good things about it and i hope we wont have to wait to long to see it...whats the release date?

No US distributor, so no US release date...

#9 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 16 July 2003 - 03:46 AM

Unfortunately, I still can not download this trailer. Is it at any other website?

-- Xenobia

#10 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 16 July 2003 - 03:48 AM

It's mirrored on another site here. I can find it nowhere else.

#11 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 16 July 2003 - 03:56 AM

I'll try tomorrow at work! Thanks Zencat.

-- Xenobia

#12 booyeah_

booyeah_

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 16 July 2003 - 04:20 AM

I want to see this movie. The trailer itself is very moving and powerful. I've never cried while watching a movie but this one might be my first.

#13 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 16 July 2003 - 04:32 AM

I'm ashamed to admit how many movies I've cried in (it started with Kind Kong when I was 10). I'm afraid what might happen to me in this movie. I may go into convulsions. The trailer alone shakes me deeply.

#14 homerjbond

homerjbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 09:32 PM

Update:

Looks like Gibson's Icon Productions has reached a tentatvie deal with 20th Century Fox to distribute his film. They're looking for an Easter 2004 release date.

Let's hope they follow through...

#15 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 24 July 2003 - 09:44 PM

Excellent.

#16 booyeah_

booyeah_

Lieutenant

• Crew
  • PipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 25 July 2003 - 02:33 AM

Will it still be in Latin and have no subtitles? I hope so.

#17 homerjbond

homerjbond

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1917 posts

Posted 25 July 2003 - 01:01 PM

I think they're going to give in and add subtitles for the US release. They're thinking that when they come out with the "special edition" DVD, they can add the director's cut (without subtitles) along with the theatrical version...

#18 ChandlerBing

ChandlerBing

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4010 posts

Posted 25 July 2003 - 01:06 PM

Seeing the trailer, I think Mel has wanted to do this movie ever since he did Braveheart. Look at the trailer, and you'll see what I mean. I can't wait to see this. It's going to be tough, but powerful.

#19 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 26 July 2003 - 03:18 PM

The next Mel Gibson film is gonna be Mad Max 4:Fury Road. I've been waiting for that since 1986. I hope it rocks. The Road warrior is fantastic but 'Beyond thunderdome' was a dissapointment.

#20 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 26 July 2003 - 03:31 PM

Have you noticed a pattern of all the aging action stars of the '80s trotting out their signature characters in a desperate attempt to give their sagging careers a boost? Arnold with T3, Stallone with Rocky 6, Harrison Ford with Indy 4...and now Mel with Mad Max 4.

However, in Mel's case, he doesn

#21 Loomis

Loomis

Commander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 21862 posts

Posted 26 July 2003 - 04:24 PM

[quote]Originally posted by zencat

Ain't It Cool News has posted a teaser trailer for Mel Gibson's story of Christ's final hours, THE PASSION. This trailer is very graphic and very powerful.  I'm almost frightened to see this movie. I really hope Gibson sticks with his plan to release this movie without subtitles. I think this will make the experience all the more intense -- all the more like you are really there. And, hey, it's not like we don't know the story.

I really hope this movie gets proper distribution. Talk about a passion project.  
[/quote]

What can I say? It looks amazing. Chilling and moving. I'm not a churchgoer (but neither am I an atheist), but I found just this trailer extremely affecting. Can't wait for the film.

Have you noticed a pattern of all the aging action stars of the '80s trotting out their signature characters in a desperate attempt to give their sagging careers a boost? Arnold with T3, Stallone with Rocky 6, Harrison Ford with Indy 4...and now Mel with Mad Max 4.

#22 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts
  • Location:A secret hollowed out volcano in Sydney (33.79294 South, 150.93805 East)

Posted 27 July 2003 - 02:24 AM

#23 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 27 July 2003 - 07:40 PM

Have you noticed a pattern of all the aging action stars of the '80s trotting out their signature characters in a desperate attempt to give their sagging careers a boost? Arnold with T3, Stallone with Rocky 6, "Harrison Ford with Indy 4...and now Mel with Mad Max 4.

#24 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 27 July 2003 - 07:58 PM

Originally posted by Tarl_Cabot
I'd like to see Arnie do Conan 3 but he doesn't need to be in T4.

Yes!!! Conan the King. That's the movie I want to see! I really didn't need T3.

#25 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 27 July 2003 - 07:59 PM

What if he runs for Governer? No Conan 3. :)

#26 mattbowyer

mattbowyer

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 04:44 AM

Could hardly watch the trailer thanks to all the blood - sadly I think i'll stay away from this for my stomach's sake.

#27 zencat

zencat

Commander GCMG

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 25814 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 04:58 AM

Originally posted by mattbowyer
...sadly I think i'll stay away from this for my stomach's sake.

Isn't that what Mary Magdalen said? :)

The amount of blood is truly shocking and disturbing and unlike any image of the crucifixion I've even seen. But I think this is the point. It's sort of like what he's doing with the lack of subtitles. This movie is not meant to be easy or accommodating. It's meant to be a powerful and authentic experience.

#28 mattbowyer

mattbowyer

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 12:32 PM

Absolutely zencat and it looks like he will indeed get the emotional reaction he's after. Kudos too him but good god it is a lot of blood...

(note hated Licence to Kill originally due to too much blood, same with Live and Let Die)

#29 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 12:38 PM

I'm curious as to how The Church will react to the violence (ie: blood). Afterall, Jesus dies for all our sins.

#30 Blofeld's Cat

Blofeld's Cat

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17542 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 04:28 AM

When is this movie due out?