KC recognizes description...

#32 Tarl_Cabot

Tarl_Cabot

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10505 posts

Posted 14 September 2003 - 05:06 PM

Trust me, I'm thoroughly embarrassed by my post total. No one person should have this much to say about James Bond"

LOL we should all feel shame! :)

#33 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 15 September 2003 - 04:54 AM

No thank you...this is a shame free zone. ;-) We should be proud that we can come here and be this verbose!

-- Xenobia

#34 Tanger

Tanger

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5671 posts

Posted 15 September 2003 - 09:21 AM

Here, here.

#35 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 15 September 2003 - 01:48 PM

And everybody who posted here - their total goes up by at least one.

Now - is that a valid comment or an excuse to increase the post total?

My head's spinning. (Must stop impersonating owls.)

#36 Genrewriter

Genrewriter

Cammander CMG

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4360 posts

Posted 15 September 2003 - 03:30 PM

Both (Now THAT was a shamless ploy to get in another post!).

#37 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 15 September 2003 - 04:24 PM

1.84 posts per day average, that's where the money lies.

Luxuriant, sparing, enough to tantalise, not too much to become over exposed.

#38 Triton

Triton

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 2056 posts

Posted 15 September 2003 - 04:41 PM

Well if the forums are going to rank posters and give them titles like Recruit, Agent, Secret Agent, and then 00 Agent, I think posters will become obsessed with their post totals. Doesn't every poster on this forum want to achieve the coveted 00 rank if they aren't a Staff Member or Administrator?

Then as an added bonus, they are given the perk of posting their own unique avatar after, if I remember correctly, 3,000 posts.

I wonder if the temptation is too great for some posters to create junk posts so they move up through the ranking system.

If there was no reward system in place for the number of posts, I don't think that posters would be as obsessed with their post totals.

#39 double0kevin

double0kevin

Sub-Lieutenant

• Crew
  • Pip
  • 168 posts

Posted 15 September 2003 - 05:19 PM

how many posts do you need to become an agent?

#40 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 15 September 2003 - 06:12 PM

Originally posted by Triton
Well if the forums are going to rank posters and give them titles like Recruit, Agent, Secret Agent, and then 00 Agent, I think posters will become obsessed with their post totals. Doesn't every poster on this forum want to achieve the coveted 00 rank if they aren't a Staff Member or Administrator?

Then as an added bonus, they are given the perk of posting their own unique avatar after, if I remember correctly, 3,000 posts.

I wonder if the temptation is too great for some posters to create junk posts so they move up through the ranking system.

If there was no reward system in place for the number of posts, I don't think that posters would be as obsessed with their post totals.

We’ve sort of two-edged sword. The rankings and such are there to reward participation, which we are trying to encourage. The unfortunate other side of this sword is you get people that think faster acheivement of these rewards is the a worthwhile goal. In general, the obsessed have seen the error of their ways and have began putting quality in front of quantity. (Usually much before they reach the 00-Agent status)

And yes this may all sound silly coming from the chap who invented the FDC, but, just so you know, the FDC started as—and has always been—a joke poking fun at post count obsession.

#41 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 15 September 2003 - 06:25 PM

Well to get this thread back on topic I thought I would throw my two cents in - and increase my post total by a whopping one woohoo (just kidding).
The nature of my job is that I spend a great deal of time at my computer waiting for my staff to submit their work. That leaves me with a lot of free time on my hands (especially on Thursdays and Fridays) and so I tend to sign onto CBN and check out the latest posts. Last Friday for example I had over 65 posts while I was waiting for my reporters to finish their work.

#42 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 15 September 2003 - 10:41 PM

Originally posted by Triton

Such a 'bonus' will never exist as that number will always increase beyond anyones posting total. It's an issue of legalities.

#43 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 16 September 2003 - 01:23 AM

I was in mind when Loomis posted this thread back in May. But for the record, I am no longer "obsessed" with my post count and my position on the member list. I couldn't even tell you how many posts I have at this moment. I guess I was "obsessed" with my post count because I was fairly new to the website.

#44 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 16 September 2003 - 02:14 AM

Not in terms of an accusation, only a look at the phsycology of it, was your admitted obsession with increasing your post count a reflection of trying to be accepted into the site/community?

#45 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts
  • Location:Was on Saturn, now back in Belfast, Northern Ireland

Posted 16 September 2003 - 03:28 AM

Not to be ignorant, just trying to understand are you saying Daniel that the general consensus here is that thinking that having a high post count is brilliant is a ridiculous way to think and that Righty is perhaps trying to get into our good books by telling us that he feels the same way and that he is not the odd one out, because he feels for whatever reason we'd hold that against him. I wouldn't. Being a lone voice doesn't mean one is wrong.

I'm just going on..:) :)

#46 Mister Asterix

Mister Asterix

Commodore RNVR

• The Admiralty
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15519 posts

Posted 16 September 2003 - 03:42 AM

Huh?

#47 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 16 September 2003 - 03:50 AM

Yeah, I am not sure I followed your train of thought either Dr. Tynan.

#48 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 16 September 2003 - 03:56 AM

OK perhaps I was a bit longwinded. I'm just wondering if Daniel means that Righty is trying to get into our goodbooks (not that I have anything against him) by telling us that he is not the one odd in terms of his opinions.

OK maybe not :)

#49 Xenobia

Xenobia

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 16 September 2003 - 04:05 AM

I think, emphasis on think, that he was wondering if perhaps Righty is saying that he thinks having a high post count is ridiculous just to fit in, and that he (DT) hopes that isn't the case because being the lone voice (in this case, thinking it's a very good thing to have a high post count) is a very cool thing indeed.

-- Xenobia

#50 Dr. Tynan

Dr. Tynan

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3456 posts

Posted 16 September 2003 - 04:26 AM

I'm thinking that Daniel is thinking that Righty is trying to get into our good books by telling us he thinks the same way as the rest of us :)

I think, that thinking a high post count is great is silly, but I'm telling Righty he shouldn't be afraid to think differently from the rest of us. :)

#51 jwheels

jwheels

Lt. Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 1021 posts

Posted 16 September 2003 - 04:52 AM

I've never really cared about post count. For me, I always try to make it an issue of the quality of the post, not the quantity.

#52 Blue Eyes

Blue Eyes

Commander RNR

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9976 posts

Posted 16 September 2003 - 06:30 AM

What I mean is; when Righty was 'obsessed' with post counts, was he obsessed as he thought that a higher post count meant he was more likely to be accepted at CBn? Or was there another reasoning?

#53 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 16 September 2003 - 11:37 AM

Yes. I thought that if I had aot of posts, I would be respected more by other members.

#54 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 16 September 2003 - 11:45 AM

Originally posted by Dr. Tynan
I'm thinking that Daniel is thinking

LOL...Think about it :)

Apart from that rather silly countdown earlier this year I haven't seen Righty really try to push up his post count. :)

#55 Jim

Jim

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14266 posts

Posted 16 September 2003 - 11:49 AM

It's what one says, and the way that one says it, rather than how often one says it, that seems to garner "respect" (although quite why one would - or needs to - crave "respect" is another matter). After all, Emily Bronte wrote little, Barbara Cartland wrote a lot.

#56 Dunph

Dunph

Commander RNVR

• Commanding Officers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3826 posts

Posted 16 September 2003 - 12:40 PM

Didn't the Bronte sisters also actually 'write little' aswell, so their father couldn't see their steamy works?

#57 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 16 September 2003 - 12:54 PM

Originally posted by Jim
After all, Emily Bronte wrote little, Barbara Cartland wrote a lot.

Hey, quit knocking Barbara Cartland -- :) Just kidding!!

#58 Simon

Simon

Commander

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5884 posts

Posted 16 September 2003 - 02:52 PM

Originally posted by Righty007
Yes. I thought that if I had aot of posts, I would be respected more by other members.

So no more Countdown threads then?

#59 Righty007

Righty007

Discharged.

• Veterans Reserve
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 13051 posts

Posted 16 September 2003 - 03:06 PM

No more countdown threads until I find out Bond 21's US theater release date. :)

#60 DLibrasnow

DLibrasnow

Commander

• Enlisting
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16568 posts

Posted 16 September 2003 - 06:53 PM

Well, I know there are some people here on CBN who are tinkering with their post counts...
One example - one CBNer (who shall remain nameless) I noticed a post by them and noted their post count. Then I noticed that after I had posted a post in that same thread that their count had increased by one post. BUT - they had not added another post. So, I went and checked to see which thread they had posted in last and it told me it was in that thread -- but there was no post.

So, I know of at least one person who is cheating.

Reply to this topic